[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Design Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12

File: 20160812_112626.jpg (391KB, 2916x1889px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_112626.jpg
391KB, 2916x1889px
Long time no see, /po/! I've been away from folding for a while now, and it appears all posts by me have disappeared.

But I'm back and with a brand new model, a wyvern!

So I was thinking of consolidating all my threads into this one in the future, for brevity and to avoid deleting other quality posts. Of course anyone else can post their designs as well, but any future designs I post will likely be in this thread.

Don't forget to check out my diagrams here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B1vYEdIPwkWcRDUxdDNZZml2RVE
>>
File: 20160812_112724.jpg (133KB, 1538x1096px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_112724.jpg
133KB, 1538x1096px
Here's a close up of the wyvern's head
>>
>>543317
I know wyverns normally don't have arms but it looks like there was paper flaps for arms and you mountain folded them to make a wyrm. Did you wanted specificaly to create a wyrm or is it just that the arms of the dragon were to small and you ended up with a wyrm ?

On an other note, i still have your shrimp diagram, have you lost it ? do you want me to post it ? Also i wanted to try the crown but i've never done CP before so i wasn't sure but te five external folds (tangential to the paper sides) are based on a 16*16 grid, right ?
Also that's a shitty seahorse m8
>>
>>543318
I REMEMBER YOU. Have you done a diagram of that duck you posted months back?
>>
>>543327
No there are no folded away flaps, the front just has thick layers, since this is a bird base. I figured the front should be thicker anyway as it's the chest. Does it look bad?

I see the shrimp model diagram when I click on my link, if Google being a fucking dick again? It's also on Sara adams website.

I too have never done CP before (mild shock), but I know others have so I showed the simplified Base of the crown, the crown is 16X16, but it's missing some of the reverse folds that are the next step. Probably because I'm a lazy dick. Sorry

I was gonna inb4 but I kinda wanted to see if /po/ remembers.

>>543333
I did a diagram of my duck ages ago, It should appear on my Google Drive.

If not, I'll post all of my diagrams and the person who has that massive artist drive can just add my diagrams if they are so kind.
Also on a side note did I ever leave my catalogue document or something like it on this site? My HDD has been erased, so I lost my most recent account of my model, and am missing which of my designs are in what order.
>>
>>543336
no no the wyvern is cool, i was just wondering.

I see only 5 diagrams : bipyramids, lotus xmas, fancy snail, duck and crown base cp.

I'll try the cp when i have time, i'll let you know how that turned out.

Well at leat i remember, but the seahorse was pretty cool desu.
>>
>>543353
It might work now. I think my Goggle accounts were synced oddly. My gmail account is different than my Youtube account so I think when I'm signed into youtube it clashes
>>
>>543357
fuck it there's something wrong with the shared function between the two accounts.

I transferred all my diagrams onto my other account and it seems to share fine between the two

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_nwLkHnwNB-V0dtbDVsaF90ME0
>>
I've got a new design coming out, I'll probably post a picture tomorrow
>>
>>543317

Shitty dragon
>>
>>543506
Can you do any better?
>>
File: 20160817_142411.jpg (370KB, 2177x1634px) Image search: [Google]
20160817_142411.jpg
370KB, 2177x1634px
My new model, a simple fighter jet.
>>
File: 20160817_142416.jpg (317KB, 2177x1634px) Image search: [Google]
20160817_142416.jpg
317KB, 2177x1634px
>>543596
A slightly more angled shot
>>
>>543596
flying benis
>>
>>543358
now i think i see them all.

Another question : have you ever tried some other origami paper than sandwich and kami ? i like your creations but i often feel like they would look beter without the shiny metalic aspect of the sandwich. Learning how to use methyl cellulose or wet folding would probably enhance the look of your creations.

Also have you made that wearable crown ?
>>
>>543983
Sandwich? is that another term for tissue foil? Never heard that before.

You need specific papers for wet folding, and I don't have a lot of money. so tissue foil is the cheapest alternative. I've been trying to come up with a way to put patterns into the adhesive to make designs, and maybe painting my models as well.

I have not. I found paper that is the right texture, just not the right size. Would need custom paper. as well as designing a skeleton to hold the weight of the paper.
>>
>>543991
Sandwich is tissue+foil+tissue (the foil is in a sandwich of tissue). You can use MC to glue two sheets of tissue paper together, and it's also cheap. It's not better (or worst) than tissue foil but it's definitely different, and certainly an interesting paper.

But that's just suggestions/inquiries, i don't want to try to force other paper down your throat. Tissue foil is good and you're doing good with it.
>>
>>544001
Lol I just refer to that as tissue foil as well. So yeah that is exclusively what I use since I'm a dollar store rate artist. That and I have a few dual color models.

When I finally get more disposable income I'll probably get different test sheets of other style papers to see what I like.

I still have a far way to go in paperfolding anyway. I really don't know how to design that well-- most of my models are from doodling. Origami is a patient art form, so I'm just taking my time growing.
>>
>>544012
Buy kraft paper, for broke people like me its perfect, think, strong crisp, come in huge roles. Don't expect to get high quality results like that on flickr, these guys use a ton of glue to get those realistic finishes
>>
>>544033
This, unless you include paperlocks, itll always come a bit apart without glur. I like craft only as a test paper cus I like the textures of other high end papers. Kraft is for hobby folding, high end is to show off
>>
Also I made a kid really happy today with your duck. I fucked up on it but still
>>
>>544033
tissue foil is often better than kraft, even more with no MC treatment.
>>
>>544171
Of course, you won't use MC with tissue foil...
>>
Sorry for late replies! Dropped my laptop and cracked the screen, had to dredge up an old monitor

>>544033
>>544158
I've purchased Kraft paper of some sort before. I thought it was too thick personally

>>544159
I'm glad to hear it! That is actually my personal favorite among my models

Sorry if the diagrams made it confusing at all!
>>
>>544191
Home made tissue foil or the Tissue"foil" that Nicolas Terry sells in his store. Origamishop . Com/Us
>>
>>544326
I really liked it. And yeah the final step with the bill didn't make sense so I opted to just shape it.
>>
>>544553
Yeah it was a strange step to try and show. You pull out the middle flap, which changes the crease with the top flap, and shift the bottom flap's fold inward to the center. Supposed to pull the flap out enough so some of the bill aims downward as well.

This probably doesn't make much more sense but I'm not very knowledgeable in technical terms.
>>
Also heads up guys,new model on the horizon! I'm about 70% complete, need to find the right measurement and make more paper.
>>
File: 20160923_132318.jpg (282KB, 1879x2165px) Image search: [Google]
20160923_132318.jpg
282KB, 1879x2165px
>>544763
Alright new model is here! Opus # fuck-knows-cause-backing-up-files-is-for-pussies,

The Bacteriophage
>>
>>545341
nice shit anon ! did you used the icosahedra of montroll as inspiration ?
>>
>>545343
Actually no I didn't! I thought about incorporating some of his his design when I got stuck, but it wouldn't have worked.

The head was the hardest part about this model. Bacteriophages naturally have isocohedron heads, so I didn't want to cop out and do something different.

Funny story, I was designing this for the September Design Challenge on the Forum, and kept making updates to the thread about how close I was to finishing, only to reread the rule and see it required a square sheet!
>>
>>545346
Radical man
>>
>>545346
Looks great!
>Funny story, (...) only to reread the rule and see it required a square sheet!
So, is it from an hexagon? That would be the logic choice here.
>>
>>545384
Yes it is a hexagon. I couldn't imagine using another shape that wouldn't waste a tremendous amount of paper
>>
File: 2o3ge0nijo2pkfrj2vf5_thumb.jpg (16KB, 243x250px) Image search: [Google]
2o3ge0nijo2pkfrj2vf5_thumb.jpg
16KB, 243x250px
You're big, dont die never! (its an expression on my country, chile, i dont know if is good translated) (original: eres un grande no te mueras nunca!)
>>
>>545436
I'll take that as a compliment? Your English is better than what I could do in any other language
>>
File: bat0.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
bat0.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
First time poster on this board. Here's my bat that I perfected this year. I made the prototype back in HS over 13 years ago. Got my hands on some high quality paper earlier this year. I can make a cockatiel out of the same base, but I lost the prototype for tat one, so it'll take me a while to reinvent that one.
>>
File: bat1.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
bat1.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Top view.
>>
File: bat2.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
bat2.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Bottom.
If you want more angles let me know. I'll have this thread opened in a tab.
>>
>>545490
>>545491
>>545492
I should add, it's a 1:1 scale of a Mexican Free Tailed Bat.
>>
>>545490
>>545491
>>545492
>>545528
Good job! Just in time for Halloween!
>>
>>545534
Thanks! I usually post on /a/. I'll be working n the cockatiel to show off on a later date for this thread.
>>
New model is 100% designed. Will make paper as soon as I get the chance
>>
>>545341

Do you think you could provide instructions?

I work in a microbiology laboratory and think it'd be quite nice to have a little origami model of a phage.

How large is it and how many sheets of paper were required?
>>
>>545986
Sorry, the model is not technically completed. Many of the folds were not properly done and I need to figure them out.
>>
File: 20161011_112913.jpg (513KB, 2369x1911px) Image search: [Google]
20161011_112913.jpg
513KB, 2369x1911px
Here is my newest model Recycled: Violence, Misinformation, Hate

Folded for the October Design Challenge
>>
>>546181
Is it 1 sheet of paper ? if yess that's really impressive anon, top shit stuff ! (if 3 sheets it's still pretty cool)
>>
>>546195
Haha, it's three sheets. I considered using just one, but it would be ridiculously long and a bitch to make
>>
>>546218
well it's cool nonetheless !
>>
>>546239
Thank you!
>>
>>545341
is that ecoli?
>>
>>547117
No, this is Patrick.
>>
>>545341
>>>544763
>Alright new model is here! Opus # fuck-knows-cause-backing-up-files-is-for-pussies,
>The Bacteriophage
This reminds me of jimmy neutron
>>
bump for the love of it
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
a 3 headed dragon i designed a while ago
>>
>>549483
no idea why the picture ended like that
>>
>>549484
You live in the southern hemisphere? :p
>>
>>547117

Bacteriophages are viruses which infect bacteria.
>>
>>549531

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteriophage
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.