[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sturdiest Paper-like Material/other Construction Tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 3018255[1].jpg (370KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
3018255[1].jpg
370KB, 960x720px
I would like to know what type of paper is best terms of longevity/mold-ability/strength as well as how to seal that paper from moisture damage. It also has to be aesthetically pleasing and able to hold bends and curves much like regular paper, which is why I'm not going to use cardboard. Also what is the strongest glue/way of jointing said material together?

The only thing I could think of is this stuff called "chipboard", but I don't have a sample to verify it's integrity.
>>
>>536018
plastic ?
>>
>>536030
paper like material.
>>
>>536031
some plastics are paper like material
>>
i know what im talking about and im writing up a reply
>>
Cardstock? You're on your own for water damage resistance, though, Good like finding a paper that can handle water.
>>
>>536040
>Good like finding a paper that can handle water.

A paper that can handle water is a Tree.
>>
>>536039
looking forward to it. What I'm going to be making specifically is masks so the moisture damage would be from breathing into it.
>>
>>536043
You said what I was going to. Thin plywood can be cut with a knife and finished with polyurethane or another varnish. Wooden canoes have been around a real long time. If a canoe isn't waterproof, I don't know what is.
>>
>>536051
Okay, some thin plywood might work, but I mean what if i wanted to bend them in really sharp curves. Think of a areas on the face like the nose ridge. If i were making intricate designs like this out of several small pieces, wouldn't it be incredibly difficult to bend them and then glue them while they're in a form? I know you can do things like soak/steam/boil wood to form it, but what about swelling/cracking when it dries? What type of plywood is most notable for its flexibility and would work best in this situation?

Also: tested some Card-stock and that chipboard I mentioned, both are not ideal as when they aren't flexible enough. Tried wetting them down too which worked out better initially, but once they dried they warped.
>>
Have you tried yupo? I'm not sure how thick you can get it but it's definitely waterproof.
>>
Mineral paper is tear and water resistant.
>>
>>536072
You could set up a small steam chamber and steam the pieces of thin plywood so you can do sharper curves and bends.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.