[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't want my paper to go to waste

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

So I just bought the discovery pack from Origami-shop.com and I really like the high end papers they include, issue is, some of these papers I have NO CLUE what to do with. Like a 6 inch square of Kraft Alios? What is that even for? I'm a folder of high intermediate skill, but i'd hate to see these papers go to waste. Any model suggestions?
>>
>>532561
try some kind of easy insect model ? like joe nakashima's hercules beetles for example.
>>
>>532561
Alios is perfect for crumpling (think Paul Jakson & Vincent Floderer's work).
>>
File: eew.jpg (39KB, 499x281px) Image search: [Google]
eew.jpg
39KB, 499x281px
>>532572
> crumpling
>>
>>532572
wgy crumple though? what does it even do to the effectiveness of the paper?
>>
>>532570
with a 6 inch sheet? Dude the best ive done before was the origami scrat
>>
I dunno, try the parrot of manuel siguerro
>>
>>532573
can I save that image sir?
>>
File: FOOL.jpg (36KB, 495x750px) Image search: [Google]
FOOL.jpg
36KB, 495x750px
>>532617
it will go great with this
>>
Talking about paper... yesterday I bought a roll of giftwrap foil with a nice design. But it turns out that it's not really metal foil, more like thin plastic which doesn't keep the creases too well.

So what could I do about it? The plan is to glue it to either stiffer paper, or maybe real aluminum foil - anybody tried that before? What kind of glue do you use for that? Wallpaper paste?
>>
>>532622
>not really metal foil, more like thin plastic which doesn't keep the creases too well

Yeah i have made the same mistake. I now use the rolls to wrap gifts, at least it's a nice wraping paper. Be carefull, with me the design was comming of the paper after too much creases and scrping of my finger nails, making impossible the use of this paper for complex origami.

>>532561
try eric joisel rat ?
>>
>>532623
>design was comming of the paper after too much creases and scrping of my finger nails

Yup, exactly the same shit here. Creases don't hold, and if you apply too much pressure the paint comes off. I think it's plastic with a thin layer of metallic paint on both sides, not really suitable for crafting. Oh well, at least it was an inexpensive mistake (69 cents for 70cm*300cm).

But I really wanted to try out metal foil after watching a bunch of Joe Nakashima's tutorials - the stuff he is using seems to be great for modular origami.
>>
>>532624
you can still glue foil on other type of paper, i personally use it only on very thin paper like tissue paper but you can glue alu foil with kraft or other thicker paper. I'm not sure it's the best for modula origami but i'm not really into modular origami so...
>>
>>532632
That brings me/us back to the question on what type of glue is best for fixing sheets together.
>>
>>532639
Whenever it isn't tissue, I use tacky spray
>>
>>532623
Kraft doesnt seem to shape all that well
>>
might try tessellations for the first time wth the paper, anyone know an easy tessellation to start off with?
>>
>>532599
I've done hercules beetles with 6in. from Lang's origami insects and their kin. A lot of those models are feasible with small paper.
Several of hideo komatsu's models are suitable for 6in too
>>
>>532660
I really dont think I have the skill for that at that size
>>
>>532663
You could totally do komatsu's lion, dude.
>>
what the hell do I do with unryu?
>>
Not exactly an answer to OP's question, but I'll spew my spack anyway. I'm pretty budget minded, have hardly ever bought paper which is what holds me back from nicer origami models. My main source of paper is what was once a 12" tall stack of thick 11x16 paper which is white on one side and dark indigo on the other, which my mom found by a dumpster three years ago.

I have made dozens of sewing patterns from it, all of my folded business cards, sheaths for each of the tools I sharpen (my job), paper gifts, maybe a dozen birthday cards, window bird deterrents, paper experiments, woodworking templates, machine sketches and drafts, the constitutions for three new countries, and also the kitchen sink.

I have done similar things with other free paper, but that stack of paper doesn't want to disappear. I'm almost tired of looking at it, but I don't know what I'll do when it's gone. It's down to 5" or so. Other free paper sources are things like mini notebooks that seem to appear from the aether in the form of mediocre gifts, old calendars, packing slips (sometimes have labels which I use as tape), and those otherwise useless green rectangles that say '1' in the corner. Thanks Bernanke.

Tl;dr:
Forget origami when the paper isn't well suited to it. Make practical items instead of art. Cut it and draw on it (gasp)!
>>
>>532982
Well I mean, I can do that with regular paper, dis be fancy
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.