[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crease patterns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: ^this one needed.jpg (16KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
^this one needed.jpg
16KB, 200x200px
Anyone have any tips or tricks for solving crease patterns? I know the ability opens up a huge number of possibilities, but I just dont get it
>>
You have to figure out the first reference folds to get started.

On the tardigrade example you posted, it's simply a 3x3 grid divided up further.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (20KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
20KB, 200x200px
>>
>>530543
So I fold the general grid/base beforehand and the guess mountain or valley with the rest of the lines?
>>
>>530556

Yeah, the collapse is not that difficult in this one.

If you've folded Joisel's dwarf, you should have no problem.
>>
>>530558
I havent done a crease pattern before, am I supposed to draw it on the sqyare?
>>
File: tardigrade.jpg (888KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
tardigrade.jpg
888KB, 2560x1440px
>>530563

You are supposed to make every fold that is shown on the crease pattern, and then collapse it down to a base. Then the base is further refined with shaping.
>>
File: paper-plane-1.jpg (159KB, 465x295px) Image search: [Google]
paper-plane-1.jpg
159KB, 465x295px
yeah, I don't know why they can't mark those better, use a different line for "valley" and "mountain" folds. every crease pattern I've seen here just traces every crease.

had a paperairplane book as a kid that used solid and dash for in and out, another used red and blue lines(they had special paper to use for each one to give them decorations...kinda like this linked)
>>
>>530581
>yeah, I don't know why they can't mark those better, use a different line for "valley" and "mountain" folds
Some CPs do, but they're supposed to be a challenge, you have to figure out the Ms and Vs.

That being said, the one in OP's image is ridiculously easy to figure out, because it's box pleating. The outermost fold will be a mountain 99% of the time and then it alternates M-V-M-V and so on.
>>
>>530639
I don't think they're /supposed to be/ a challenge. they're supposed to be blueprints rather than step by step instructions because its much easier to unfold and scan something than go back through to make a tutorial. Crease patterns are just another way these things are shared, like guitar tabs vs sheet music. Just because one might be easier to read for some doesn't mean the other is intentionally cryptic
>>
>>530639
I strongly believe in this true: Ms- Vs=+-2 so mountains are the 50% .
>>
>>530700
The poster you reply to was speaking of the *outermost* fold, not some random fold.
(And that formula is valid for flat-foldable models only).
>>
>>530639
>Op's image is ridiculously easy

I can't go it
>>
File: Komatsu Rooster.png (458KB, 727x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Komatsu Rooster.png
458KB, 727x1160px
>>530691
>I don't think they're /supposed to be/ a challenge.
They really are. Some designers are just lazy, but when you fold enough origami, diagrams get boring. Solving crease patterns adds a whole dimension to this hobby, with some being ridiculously easy and others being deceptively challenging.

It forces you to think about where each layer is supposed to go, and how to sculpt plain flaps into something that resembles an actual being. OP's diagram is actually pretty tough, because box pleats tend to be awful at distributing weight and tension.

Try this one.
>>
>>530732
I said to figure out, not to fold. Like this guy >>530746 said, boxpleating uses paper inefficiently, so you can't just fold this with that square from a regular A4 sheet. You need stronger, thinner and larger paper and some skill to shape the square ass flaps you're gonna get into a convincing tardigrade.
>>
>>530748
Aw man, anyone know anywhere to get some practice crease patterns so I can git gud?
>>
File: man_in_hood.png (4KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
man_in_hood.png
4KB, 200x200px
>>530977

Just find any you like.
>>
File: man_in_hood.jpg (54KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
man_in_hood.jpg
54KB, 512x384px
>>530979
>>
>>530977
You could probably just google. A lot of people post OC on flickr. Also, Skhans is a big origami forum, they're sure to have a few threads there.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.