[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about boring subjects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: generic_clouds_not_mine.jpg (8KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
generic_clouds_not_mine.jpg
8KB, 320x180px
I'm a fairly new photographer, got my first camera a few days ago. Yeah, of course I've been taking photos before that, but now I really want to improve and shoot as much as I can.

Since this board is kino, I want to make a thread about things that a lot of people like to shoot, but which are super generic and boring at this point.

I want to know what subjects and compositions I should stay away from, so I don't just waste my time. For example, I know that photos of clouds are done by pretty much everyone on the planet, and I am guilty of this at the moment, too, but I simply really enjoy those and have a need to capture them, although they can never really have that feeling like I get when I see them IRL.

Photos of windows, parking lots, macrophotography of boring flowers, pets... Things like that - I want you to tell me what you never like to see in a photo. What advice do you have for beginners on that topic?
>>
>>3144738
If you're like me and have no intention of sharing what you shoot, just shoot whatever you like. There's nothing wrong with a cloud picture you took, because you remember being there for it, it's different than some random guy's cloud photo.
>>
>>3144738
Since you're clearly from /tv/, you'll know that most good movies are movies people dismiss as "boring". Do you want to make art? Art doesn't have to entertain. You don't have to be Hitchcock to be a good photographer. It's ok to be Ozu or Kaurismaki.
>>
I do want to make something I can be proud of and share it with others, so yeah, I do want to create "art". But in that case, it has to have some meaning behind it, or at least be something that people can enjoy I guess.
>>
>>3144763
well it's going to suck for a few years, so hopefully you aren't easily discouraged
>>
>>3144738
Don't take photos of the back of peoples heads.
>>
Ok, let's talk about /p/ them
>>
>>3144738
>I want to know what subjects and compositions I should stay away from, so I don't just waste my time.
Fuck that. That's not how it works, friend.

Take pictures of everything. Take pictures of things you know will make great photos. Take pictures of things you know will be shitty photos. Take pictures of everything that catches your eye. If something really catches your eye, take twenty pictures of it with slightly different compositions and framing. Imagine yourself printing a book of a study of one stupid boring subject, and work hard to make that the best book ever. If you see a cool cloud, try to take the best damn picture of that cloud you can. Take pictures of windows, parking lots, flowers, pets, etc. Look through them and really judge yourself on what works and what doesn't work. Throw away the ones that don't work. Analyze the ones that do work and see what you like about them. Take more pictures of those subjects until you're bored of that subject yourself, then take more pictures of it to try to see if you can find an interesting new angle on it so it's not boring any more.

Especially if you find joy in taking pictures of something, don't ever, *ever* refrain from taking a picture of it just because you think some other asshole will find the picture boring. You need to take pictures of things that you enjoy taking pictures of. You can't take pictures solely to please some hypothetical jagoff. Maybe to please a *specific* jagoff, if you're doing work for hire, but don't ever try to please a hypothetical jagoff.

That's how you become a better photographer.

You will never become a good photographer by avoiding taking pictures of things.
>>
>>3144738
don't expect an sort of useful advise or critiques from this board. it's full of trolls and pretentious 14 year olds
>>
>>3144738
If you want your pictures to be interesting then be interested in the things you are taking pictures of.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.