[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

saw this camera for sale, is it lacking something at the base?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: s-l1600.jpg (256KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
256KB, 1600x900px
saw this camera for sale, is it lacking something at the base? can it be installed over a tripod as it is?
>>
That looks like a graflex monorail. Seems there should be some kind of tilt/pan head under that bracket
>>
I have the exact same camera. That is a 1941-1949 Graflex Graphic View I they were made during wartime too. It has full movements, tilt, swing, pan, rise and fall you name it the camera can do it.

If you get it do a torque test on all of the screws. It's a decent camera and the format is 4x5" but many of the Speed Graphic lenses made by Kodak will work on it if you mount them in a suitable mount plate which I believe is 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" but I could be wrong on that part.

Check the bellows for light leaks and also get the optional ground glass cover but try to find the version with the built-in kickstand mine doesn't have it and it's a pain in the ass but it does protect the GG which is nice.

As for the tripod mount, mine does not have it but they can be found on eBay and the block it attaches to is standard thread size so you can attach any tripod mount plate to it, but it will sit lower on the tripod and depending on what lens you are using you may have trouble with movements or focus, I have a Schneider 180 that covers 5x7 and a Kodak 127 that barely covers 4x5 and I haven't had any issues. In 99% of shooting situations you'll be okay.
>>
>>3144345
in theory yeah, theres usually a thread on the little gray bit. Might not be standard size that you'd find on most tripods today. Also you'll have to spin it a bunch or just get a block.

if you do buy it I recommend getting better glass, those old graflex lenses are alright but theres much better stuff out there.
>>
>>3144681
Wow, so much knowledge, so few photos.
>>
OP ignore Sugar
Rail cameras are a pain in the ass and quite worthless. if you can get it under $50 it can be a nice intro to LF but these cameras turn more people off 4x5 than get them enthused.

if you want to get into LF, seriously look for a field camera, some have almost as much movements as a rail camera but are 100% more usable for anything outside a studio.

when it comes to bellows, tiny pinholes in the corners can easily be patched with gaffer tape, they can also be replaced if they are completely ratched, ground glass is also replaceable and can be made if you can't find a pre made one.
>>
>>3144681
coolio ty. itll be an overseas purchase so no inspecting. but i have good eye for cameras, until i got the LF fever, and i dont know shit about those, so thats why im asking.

>>3144714
>I recommend getting better glass
yeah i saw some photos with the optar lens, which seems to be the kit lens of that camera. it was decent, but yeah somewhat bland and soft. there are some top shit schneider lenses on ebay and also kinda cheap too.

>>3144961
>these cameras turn more people off 4x5 than get them enthused.
for reals? any suggestions on field cameras that have movements, that arent a linhoff? price and full movements are the main factor here. im buying from far away so im paying almost twice just because shipping.

also, any other suggestions besides a graflex graphic view ii? red bellows look swag as fuck, however.
>>
>>3144971
Linhoff - gold standard - heavy as fuck - expensive
Westa - Linhoff knockoff - price ???
Toyo metal - pretty good movements - heavy as fuck - can be found at a reasonable price
Toyo carbon fibre - good movements - godly light weight - expensive as fuck
Crown Graphic / speed Graphic - light - has some movements - can be found cheap
Any number of Wooden field cameras - may or may not have good movements - people buy these just to decorate rooms so prices are still high - can be cheap can be expensive

a friend of mine had a soviet era field camera that worked pretty well, I have no information on it nor have I seen another one. It was cheap, it worked, and it was ugly as sin.

lens prices are also all over the map, some people almost give them away and others want like new prices. if you get into LF be prepared to start making your own lens boards and getting in with a small screwdriver to tweek / repair your gear.
>>
>>3144961

Field cameras are nice though and there's nothing wrong with monorails I actually like mine and the setup is a cinch. Alex uses a Toyo Field 4x5 and it weighed a little less than my mono when he came down here. At the end of the day both of our cameras took the same pictures (though naturally his were way the hell better than mine) and we ate the same bomb ass food at the end of the day.

That Linhof pictured also costs about as much as a decent used car and you shouldn't pay more than 100 bucks for the Graphic View Monorail and both take the same damn picture. Monorails are only a pain in the ass to weak pussy faggot Antifa limp-wristed Leftist Nancy boys who haven't carried a man camera before. A shitty day of LF photography is a good day of exercise.

>hurr they shy people away from 4x5

When I dragged mine out at Bonneville and brought it to the start line to shoot cars a couple of weeks ago more people were taking pictures of the camera and me using it than the cars about to race and people will always ask you about it. You know what it's like to come out from under that dark cloth and turn around and hordes of Chinese tourists in the Keys are snapping pics of your view camera with their 6D's and L glass? I do and it's fucking annoying.

>inb4 rustled jimmies
>inb4 hurr Sugar kys no photos etc.

anywhoozle.

Pretty much what this guy said >>3144985 all 4x5's are gonna make the same god-tier negatives but you have to pay to weigh. The wooden field cams, they look cool but I have one that does 5x7 and I prefer the monorail 4x5 all day.

Glass, I paid 100 bucks for my Schneider 180 5.6 in a Compur Synchro shutter and that's pretty much all you need to get started. Don't be afraid to try some of the newer Fuji stuff the coatings are great for color film should you go that route, the older Schneider stuff like I have is optimized for black and white.

tl:dr; field and monorail cams are both breddy gud as long as they are metal.
>>
>>3144681
>>3145066
jesus just fuck off you attention whore
>>
>>3145087

have a (You) for your troubles.
>>
File: DSC06177.jpg (457KB, 1200x921px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06177.jpg
457KB, 1200x921px
once again almost everything said here >>3145066
is wrong
>there's nothing wrong with monorails
for a studio sure but they are bulky even if you can tear them down, and that is a pain in the ass for hiking. LF is a huge commitment to pack in and out of the bush, every extra cubic inch and every ounce you dedicate to your camera is one not being used for water and food.
>That Linhof pictured also costs about as much as a decent used car
sure new, but if your idea of a good car is a ratched, rusted out winter beater. I got my 6x9 Linhoff for $250cnd and having a roll film back with full movements is genius.

The 6x9 is also a good option for OP

>Monorails are only a pain in the ass to weak pussy faggot Antifa
sure is /pol/ in here
>Fuji stuff the coatings are great for color film ... the older Schneider stuff like I have is optimized for black and white.
sort of and wrong, newer lenses have newer coatings (go figure) which help with contrast, the older lenses with single coatings work just as well with colour as they do with B&W, they just have lower contrast. low contrast lenses look great with higher contrast film like Fuji NPC and Kodachrome (RIP) and can easily increase contrast on B&W with yellow or orange filters, red / deep red if you want to nuke your mid tones. nothing is optimized for black and white.
>field and monorail cams are both breddy gud as long as they are metal.
metal is often good but heavy, A carbon fibre Toyo is probably the best shooters camera but bad for attention whores because they aint pretty and no tourists will be taking your photo with their 6Ds and L glass. Wood is the next best way to go, Crown Graphic is the best poor mans LF and a Deardorff is something to sell a kidney for.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareILCE-6000 v1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2017:09:05 09:16:22
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Brightness-5.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3145278
so a crown graphic is better than the graphic view? does it have the same movement capacity?
>>
what about a wista 45?
>>
>>3145289
>so a crown graphic is better than the graphic view?
I would take one any day over the graphic view
>does it have the same movement capacity?
not even close, you get some rise and fall, swing and, some tilt. you really don't get any back movements. But the size and weight when folded isn.t much bigger than a DSLR and that means it is more likely to go with you on a shooting trip. The Crown Graphic, 2 lenses, filter pouch, a light meter, 10 film holders (20 shots), a dark bag, extra film and film box will fill my camera bag to the brim. A rail camera like the Graphic View is much heavier and will take the space of 5 of those film holders, even when it's broken down.

Don't forget that you will also be packing a tripod and probably need to upgrade from the one you have now. I use a Manfrotto 075 which is good and sturdy, I also have a 190 which is bear minimum for LF and does have some wobble in certain conditions.
>>
>>3145066
Linhofs can be affordable if you don't but brand new. Brand new linhof does more price gouging than Leica's, a lens board good for like 2-500 dollars new....

I got my Technika IV with a 135/3.5 Planar for about a grand which is about the price of a M6/7 body used.
>>
>>3145300
your reasons for choosing a crown graphic are very sound, but limited movements means i could just do with the pentax 67 i have. i need the movements so im going to get a rail camera. and a car.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.