[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone got experience with the bmpcc?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: back-front.jpg (70KB, 976x342px) Image search: [Google]
back-front.jpg
70KB, 976x342px
Anyone got experience with the bmpcc?
>>
Shit battery life
Overheats
Bad at low light
>>
just sold mine after 3 years. it's a fun little camera but there's a lot better things now at the same price point
>>
>>3144076
>bad at low light
considering is has bigger pixels than the A7 (42mm2 per megapixel compared to 36mm2 per megapixel), I don't think you know what you're talking about
>>
>>3144076
>Shit battery life
External batteries
>Overheat
In which circumstances?
>bad at low light
I've seen crazy shots in low ligt

>>3144078
As to what, exactly? I'm just starting to get into videography due to my study and can get a privat package deal with rigs, handles and a lens etc.
>>
>>3144074
if you really need the RAW fottage and codec, it's an amzing piece of tech, but its portability is for naught given that it needs a damn lot of extra equipment to make it work.
>>
>>3144083
This is helpful. Thank you
>>
Just sold this thing. It eats through a battery within 10 minutes.
>>
>>3144136
Really? I'm planning on hooking up a powerbank to the rig I'm going to "build"

Thank you for replying tho
>>
>>3144086
To continue anons reply:
You need Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s cards to record RAW. 128 GB set me back around 70€. Well ok not so bad that would be about 25min of recording time(DNG). Battery is shit but what do you expect of a 500€ camera that can do things you only find in the pro segment and is that small. You NEED an IR cut filter in order to keep your blacks clean if you are shooting with an ND Filter. The Hoya will set you back around 80€. Then there comes is low light. IT IS NOT BAD. It is better than my GH3 that uses noise reduction in camera because there is alot detail left. Just some grain. Anyway how about you light your scene properly (if possible of course)? Now here comes the bad part: Base iso (or asa) is 800. That means that you get the highest dynamic range at this setting. That means if something is blown out at 800 asa it's also on 200 asa. You should expose to the right (ETTR) to lessen the noise of the sensor and you have to use ND at daylight (hence the IR cut). It also has no Optical Low Pass Filter so you get more detail, until it starts to show moire and aliasing. This pisses me off because you can't remove it in post properly. You can buy one OLPF tho for 500€ or 300€ depends on what model you choose. Some of them also have an IR cut integrated so you can ignore the Hoya Filter (or any other brand). Now the camera has a very poor screen. It's like a very shitty matte TN panel. It is useable tho if you zoom to 1:1. It also has focus peaking like every proper cinema camera. It has a crop factor of 2.88 (s16 sensor) That means that a 50mm becomes a 144mm eqvivalent lens. So either use a bmpcc speedbooster or use s16 glass.
Now i shot a gig on friday with it and used prores 422 to record it. Lasted about 1:50 and all fit onto the card. It was warm but didn't overheat (i guess around 40°C only touched it tho). It had at least 27°C indoors.
Anything about post you want to know? I learned some tricks in my year of using it.
>>
>>3144176
Wow thank you so much, mate. I can see that I'll have to slip an extra couple of bucks if I go for the Bmpcc. The reason why I fell so much in love with the Bmpcc is the size, the look and style of it. Also the power of it. What I want to be able to do once I get more experience is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5G_vPbBjk (much more of course). I don't give two shits about pictures. I'm all about video
>>
>>3144183
Yeah that video looks good (probably has a speedbooster) Now i don't do things as good looking as this (because i am a poorfag that doesn't even have an external battery or an IR filter and am saving for an olpf with it). Do you know how to use davinci resolve? You will definitely need it to make good use of the camera. Maybe you can add me on discord or smth like that so that we don't spam the board if you would like to know more about it.
>>
>>3144194
im getting a speedbooster as well. Ive got a package deal with a cage + a battery plate and 2x sony np-f barries. add me on discord Eftre#7538
>>
>>3144200
added
sage
>>
>>3144176
Out of interest-- how exactly does an optical low-pass filter remove moire where postprocessing software can't? To a mere photographer it sounds at most a software deficiency.
>>
>>3144209
software can only work with the pixel data you have, which in case of full hd is not a lot, even considering the pre-debayered raw file
which means the moire effect is just as obvious as trying to remove it
not as big a problem in the photo world because of much higher resolutions
>>
>>3144209
Well it reduces the resolution of the lens so it doesn't occur in the first place (according to the sensor). If you use resolve you could blur the color channel to get rid of the moire (a little, I am a poorfag so i only use the free version :D). Aliasing is also a defect that happens when there is too much detail for the sensor. Photo editing software can hide it pretty easily but something that was once aliased has lost some data. It is just a big bother to me and i don't want to worry about it. Just look at this nonsense i don't want to waste my time with something like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOp6FrE9p-o
Also it isn't as obvious with fuji for example because they have 24mp sensors (I believe) and the pocket only hat 2mp (1080p)
>>
>>3144183
Get a Sony a6000. Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY need the RAW. Even for basic grading 1080p 8bit 4:2:0 is enough.
The BMPCC is a professional tool. Unless you can work with it on a professional level, it's not worth it.
>>
I use it for all my professional work. It’s a testament to the camera’s design and power that five years after release there’s nothing else in the price range that even comes close in terms of video quality. In fact, there are very few cameras out there barring RED and Arri which have a better image, which is especially impressive if you consider that you could buy about 100 if these for the price of an Alexa.
>>
>>3144233
Well as i said the pocket is by far the worst user friendly camera there is. But it is the only one that lets you get that kind of image out of it. The a6000 is no bad camera and is most likely the better camera for everyone but grading the bmpcc image is fun to me. I can get the life out of the shots myself and don't have a machine do it for me and it is my HOBBY not my job so i can use whatever i like. It is to me like the film vs digital discussion we seem to have going on all the time. Because I don't have and want to shoot s16 film and have no reason to do so because I am an amateur. And the pocket has the most film like picture and colors in that class. Of course a hammer doesn't build the home. The bmpcc just has so much potential that you could use that it is worth it for me. BUT NOT FOR EVERYONE
>>
>>3144081
>pixel size is the only thing that determines the noise amount
>I don't think you know what you're talking about
the EOS 5D mkI has a tiny bit less noise than the 5D mkIII, yet each pixel has p much 1.4 of the surface area
this is just one example
sensor tech and quality also matter to the final amount of noise
>>
>>3144233
>Even for basic grading 1080p 8bit 4:2:0 is enough.
heh
that's to say, I disagree
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.