[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What settings should I use on my DSLR for street photog?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: london-street-photography-00008.jpg (287KB, 750x414px) Image search: [Google]
london-street-photography-00008.jpg
287KB, 750x414px
Maybe I should just use auto?
>>
>>3140551
yes, stick with auto.
>>
Depends on the light but f16/pump your iso a bit so you can get a fast shutter speed. Keep it on AP and prefocus to a distance you can accurately guess. If you are a pussy shoot from the hip but get your widest lens and get close as you can.
>>
>>3140554
>DSLR

buy something that will make you feel great about carrying it. be it comfort or confidence. you'll be surprised by how that feelings can change the way you see things and shoot them. and that's essential in street photog.
>>
High DOF (F8 or above, you'll find yourself missing focus if you try and go for too low DOFs)) and fast shutter (unless you want to blur out movement).
>>
I'll hijack a thread and ask the same question, but for landscape. I heard around f/8-14 is a good range, and if everything is static, should I use A or M mode? What about focus? Auto or manual focus? A lot of my pics came out not so sharp for some reason, on some of them I used f/22 so maybe that was due to diffraction, I don't know.
>>
>>3140551
Probably shutter priority mode, unless your camera sucks at it.
>>
>>3140596
> I heard around f/8-14 is a good range
No, not really.

Generally you want to just stay in the sharp range of your lens, which -on good lenses- is from 1 stop above wide open to about f/8, and on shitty lenses usually mainly around f/4-f/5.6 (depends on camera and lens).

If your lens has been measured on dxomark, you could check there how it'll behave (sharpness field map in the detailed measurements).

> Auto or manual focus?
Doesn't matter if your camera body is good.

But if it's silly and gets hung up on that one small branch closer nearby that isn't even in the middle of the image, I guess you just set the lens to infinity or whatever is appropriate manually.

Basically, you just correct if necessary.

> A lot of my pics came out not so sharp for some reason, on some of them I used f/22 so maybe that was due to diffraction
Yes, at f/22 you will have severe diffraction issues even on FF.
>>
>>3140596
P mode is probably good enough, I usually use A mode. There's no reason to go over f14, you won't get more dof without getting diffraction. Also, some lenses can focus over the infinity mark, ie. they'll just be soft. So, try to focus something that is far away but not at infinity, af or mf, which ever work. Live view is helpful. Also, it is not forbidden to have smaller dof in when doing landscapes, and focusing at something interesting that is close by.
>>
>>3140559
Not everyone is a scared little bitch like you.
I feel perfectly confident in my DSRL. FAGGOT LORD.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-29-22-40-58.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-29-22-40-58.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
took this while on a short walk. I'm pretty happy with it. Its a screenshot of the real pic so you can't read the writing too well.

Iso = 200
Shutter speed 1/200

I can't remember what the aperture was

Any criticisms , what settings should I have used
>>
Idk how to post the pic in higher quality here.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-29-21-44-54.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-29-21-44-54.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
This one may be higher quality. Nothing cut out in this version
>>
f/8 and b ther
>>
>>3140559
>whats settings should I use to shoot?
>gear is the answer

actually kill yourself
>>
File: 1480488161352.jpg (49KB, 330x479px) Image search: [Google]
1480488161352.jpg
49KB, 330x479px
>>3140551
Shutter priority or M with auto iso to ensure the moment and avoid so low auto ahutter speed that can fuck up the moment.
>>
>>3141302
Why the fuck are you posting screenshots from your phone? Post the goddamn file.
>>
>>3140551

i suggest you use M mode with auto-ISO. set the shutter speed you want, the aperture you desire, and let the camera figure out how much light you need to get the correct exposure. Just make sure you don't go about, say, 3200; beyond that, most DSLR's (except the newer ones) look crummy.
>>
Am i the only one who has to get drunk and listen to music to be in the mood to street shoot. Its the same when i draw and paint, i feel nothing until im half a bottle in then i feel like capturing the moments.

No, my hands dont shake, but thats what stabilizing is for ayy lmao.
>>
>>3141202
you're just autistic and self unaware
>>
>>3140551
shutter priority
>>
Not OP but what kind of shutter speed am I aiming for for quick street shots to avoid blur.

I want one of my presets to be for ready for quick snaps while walking around. So like Av mode, f/8 then bumping the ISO just enough for a shutter to not suck. But I'm shutter speed challenged. It's my biggest struggle.
>>
>>3145258
you can just use shutter priority mode
>>
File: chgfh.png (631KB, 332x1600px) Image search: [Google]
chgfh.png
631KB, 332x1600px
>>3145258
I saved a shutter speed thing that may be useful.

why not auto iso if youre going to need to change it anyway?
>>
>>3145263
I don't know if it's my Canon or all Canons or the lense I'm using or what but my camera does unpleasant things in shutter mode.
>>
>>3140551
f/8 and be there
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.