[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gregory Crewdson

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: Gregory Crewdson.jpg (184KB, 1065x794px) Image search: [Google]
Gregory Crewdson.jpg
184KB, 1065x794px
How the hell does Gregory Crewdson do it?

How does he achieve that look? Even with medium format how can he capture that dynamic range? I assume it's some kind of HDR and an incredible amount of high end post-production work?
>>
>>3139949
1, he uses portra on large format, probably 8x10.
2. he controls every aspect of the photograph, both indoor and outdoor lightning, and can match the brightness from outside and inside, so dynamic range is a non issue for him.

3, his work is boring and kitch, and relies solely on the percieved merit of 'hard work'. ive never ever looked at one of his pictures and actually felt something, everything is just mimicking emotion, without having anything interesting to say.
4, his firefly pictures are really great. and probably better than anything he'll ever do with a large format camera.
>>
portra 8x10 and bracketted multicomposite shots. lots of pp by 3rd party.
>>
>>3139961

All of his photography is third party. He doesn't even touch the camera.

Anyway, crewdson sucks. Shit looks like a low budget episode of x files.
>>
>>3139970
>All of his photography is third party. He doesn't even touch the camera.
i get you dont like the guy, but dont be ridiculous.
>>
>>3139956
>>3139961
>image is obvious digital
>they say portra
>>
>>3139973
>is obviously retarded
>still gives his opinion
>>
>>3139974
>says the guy who cant tell digital and film apart
>>
>>3139971
watch his behind the scenes video. he literally doesn't touch the camera. he doesn't even edit the images
>>
>>3139990
its staged shit, there is no "decisive moment" or such bullshit, he could shoot from his home via remote control. still his photos. pressing shutter button is meme.
>>
>>3139990
Just pretend he's the director.
>>
>>3139971
>>3139990
>>3139996
this is a pleb criticism.

his photos are still boring shit, and they would still be shit even if he built the sets, rigged the lightning and pressed the trigger all by himself.
>>
File: large_2005.169_crewdson.jpg (289KB, 800x516px) Image search: [Google]
large_2005.169_crewdson.jpg
289KB, 800x516px
>>3140017
I like the lighting in his images. The biggest turn off for me are the people that are always awkwardly contemplatively standing/sitting/lying around in his images. Sometimes naked. Call me a pleb but I would prefer if the poses were more natural.
>>
How can you get those subtle, muted tones and massive dynamic range with a normal full-frame camera?
>>
>>3139973
i think you just don't know what color large format looks like
>>
>>3140000

Except directors make entire movies with dozens of shots, plus acting, special effects, a plot, etc

Crewdson makes one photo and his whole motif is "stand there and look stupid lmao"
>>
>>3140017
why are you citing me, are you a dumb faggot?
>>
>>3139973
hahahaha nice one anon
>>
>>3139949
Justine Kurland did it better
>>
>>3140961
yeah,nah
>>
>>3139949
Have a look at the shadows from feet, table, chair, sofa and also random shadows on the carpet or random light at the ceiling. Also, why is there fog except for the foreground and the room in the background? Seems like "light" was painted in with the brush.
>>
>>3140977
Pleb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6YPqeNMZYE&t=1039s
>>
>>3140150
>look at me mom, i swear on the internet
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.