[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Panasonic G85

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: panasonicg85.jpg (644KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
panasonicg85.jpg
644KB, 2500x2500px
I saved for over a year and I'm 40 dollars away from affording one.

Talk me out of getting this. What's a better camera that I can get for $1000?

I'm using it strictly for video. I only really want to make shorts and music videos with it. So photos are not really in my interest with it.

I'm aware of the m43 meme but for my budget, it seems like the best bang for my buck.
>>
>>3139188
>seems like the best bang for my buck.

It is, but consider Fuji t-20 and Sony a6300. I'd still go g85 purely for video.
>>
>>3139188
m43 is fine for video though, go for it.
>>
>>3139188
>four thirds
You can get any DSLR with APS-C sensor and it will be much better than getting a four thirds. Just get a D3400

>video
Just get yourself vlogging cameras like RX100 that can record 4k video
>>
>>3139188
xt20, a6300, a6500, nx1, nx500, g85, g7, gx85 + cinelike d, gf9 (cheapest),
>>
>>3139225
Better how?
>>
>>3139188
What are your demands concerning low-light performance and depth of field?
I am not saying m43 is generally bad at this, but the sensor size per se does come with some restrictions in those terms compared to APS-C or even FF.
Look at test footages 1: in low-light and 2: see, wether the depth of field does it for you. Anyone can get nice bokeh in close-ups, but sometimes you would still want to isolate your subject when it is farther away. Due to crop factor 2, the depth of field of the 12-60mm kit lens at f/3.5 is equivalent to f/7.
Even the fastest lenses like the Mitakon 25mm f/0.95 (400$, fully manual) only had f/1.9 in DoF and compared to other sensor sizes this is quite a loss.
If you do not care much about a shallow DoF, which most video enthusiasts are going for, because muh cinematic look, then just ignore and look at low-light performance.
There also is a difference between colors, when looking at different companies. For me, Canon has the best looking colors out of camera. Depends, how much you like Panasonic colours and/or how much time you would like to spend in post-processing color-correcting.
>>
>>3139256
Because bigger sensor is everything
>>
How about you just tell us, why exactly you want to buy the G85 and what features are important to you?

If the major point is the in-body stabilisation, just go with a cheaper camera with a bigger sensor and use the money you saved for Premiere Pro or After Effects to warp stabilize it to death and buying a glidecam and another nice lens.
>>
>>3139188
>I'm aware of the m43 meme
>actually taking that one guy who makes constant bait threads seriously
lmao @(you)

also the GH4 can be had for about the same price as a G85 now. definitely go with that instead if you can
>>
>>3139276
retard
>>
>>3139188
grey market gx8
>>
>>3139313
susceptible to overheating compared to the g85 plus the evf isn't as good
>>
>>3139188
don't ask /p/ for actual advice, you're just gonna get spammed with fanboy bullshit
>>
>>3139403
never heard of it overheating, it has an excellent evf you will never use shooting video and it has the same sensor as the gh5
>>
The best bang for your buck out there right now is the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. They use those things on Marvel movies for chrissake. That G85 footage looks really digital and shitty to my eye.

Pro tip: Don't buy any camera equipment brand new, get it used on craigslist or ebay. You'll typically pay about a quarter less. Then when you resell it yourself you take less of a hit.
>>
>>3139546
>That G85 footage looks really digital
ehh what? "digital"?
>>
>>3139546
>looks really digital
nice meme
>>
I have a g85, the only prob is if you want to do any slow mo the 60fps is only 28mbps. Im not sure why its so shit considering the 4k is 100mbps. I really like the camera though
>>
>>3139188
Be aware that m43 is more geared towards reportage than fine art, if you want a more pleasing oof rendition, decent low light performance, a wider selection of lenses and more versatility, a 2nd hand a7s probably makes much more sense.
>>
i wish i could but one day i'ma be rich so my random acts of kindness will be able to extened over many platforms . so sorry. my bad :/
>>
>>3139818
Trying to make a change :/
>>
>>3139552
Yes digital, you read a word then typed it well done
>>
File: 1457305525780.jpg (57KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
1457305525780.jpg
57KB, 567x561px
>>3139848
great comeback
>>
>>3139809
they gotta have something to put into the successor
>>
>>3139811
nothing that can't be overcome with the right lighting and good composition
>>
>>3139276
Stop posting retarded shit please.
>>
Just upgraded to G85 from my G70
It's an amazing camera. The shots are super smooth, you can take handhelt pictures at 1/10s with high success rate, the weather sealing is cool and the material feels solid.
The IBIS is good enough to work on non-stabilized lenses and on Power O.I.S. lenses it's even better
For non-cinematic video it is the best gear you can get at that price range and far above
>>
>>3139188
I was in the same boat a while ago and considered the options in >>3139212 but ultimately came to the same conclusion. I'm really happy with mine even though I mainly shoot stills myself (my gf use it for some video).
>>
>>3139916
>buy a compromised camera so you can alter the whole world around it to make shots that would just work on the right gear.

Oh you m43 fags, you do make me laugh.
>>
>>3140396
if you're making an artistic work, you're already controlling all the light in the scene and framing carefully already, dumbass
>>
>>3140344
>>3139811
what makes the g85 image "non-cinematic"?
>>
>>3139552
>
Yes - digital. All of these cameras are chasing the film look, soft over sharp, high dynamic range and accurate color.

G85 doesn't have a raw or log codec so you're stuck with the baked in colors and low DR of Cinelike D and V. Which looks shitty and digital(not film-like).
>>
>>3140650
color and sharpness look great on my g80, not sure what you're sperging about
>>
>>3140650
I heard log format is coming in a firmware upgrade soon.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.