[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many of my friends that try out either photography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1-RnsOb7rdyfEx_52wiWKQdA.jpg (92KB, 736x500px) Image search: [Google]
1-RnsOb7rdyfEx_52wiWKQdA.jpg
92KB, 736x500px
Why do so many of my friends that try out either photography or cinematography do it in such an unoriginal way? I mean I am no expert or anything but some of these plainly boring portraits of their friends can get so repetitive and not interesting. Also I am too shy to tell them that they should try to find their own way of picturing someone or something that would maybe attract more attention and would be more interesting. Anybody else with the same problem? Do you think I should just unfollow their feeds on social media or tell them that their work is shite?
>>
I wish everyone born after 1984 would just kill themselves.

You're irrelevant and your problems are irrelevant.
>>
>>3131558
>Implying these same characteristics haven't always existed in a large number of people and the existence of social media hasn't just made them more obvious
>>
>>3131539
I kind of agree with you OP. I have a friend who's bloody magnificent at drawing. What does he draw? Fucking anime, and the exact same kind of portrait of some unrealistic girl over and over and over again. Why? What's the point if there are already hundreds of thousands of the same thing online? Its depressing, man.
>>
>>3131558
non applicable in this case
>>
>>3131539
Because you're severely overestimating your own level of creativity/originality. In the grand scheme of things, following the basic rule of composition pretty much guarantees that whatever photos you've take, someone else before you has already taken in some form or another and has done a much better job than you.

Think of it this way, music in its historical entirety can be broken down to twelve distinct notes. These notes can be arranged in a certain order to make a song. But you can't just choose random notes and call it a song, at least not a very pleasing one. You have to write songs in a key and use chord progressions that sound good, this vastly eliminates a lot of note combinations that just wouldn't sound good. Take a few centuries of people doing this and it becomes practically impossible to create anything truly original. You get modern day pop songs that resemble certain songs so much that lawsuits happen, like with Avril Lavigne and the song Girlfriend. Or hilariously you get a band like Nickelback who writes two hit songs that could be layered on top of each to show how they used the same writing formula.

It's the exact same thing with photography. You might laugh at your friends for taking cliche photos of pretty flowers or their pet dog. Then turn around and take a cliche photo of three perfectly symmetrical elevator doors because you read somewhere that symmetry and repetition makes for great composition. Then you give yourself a pat on the back for taking such a creative photo even though there's probably a bunch of other eerily similarly composed photos of three doors because those people also read about how symmetry and repetition makes for good composition. Bottom line is you are not unique/creative/original. Neither am I. Or anyone on /p/. Even most of the greatest photographers in history were not very original. The best you can hope for is to try to take the least unoriginal/cliche photo that you can.
>>
>>3131655
too fucking real now get out
>>
>>3131539

Someone starting something new is obviously going to follow the cliches of the medium. It's the most basic starting point: see what exists and replicate. It takes years of practice to develop a style that is your own. And even after that there's no guarantee what you do is original.
>>
>>3131655
that was a nice read! really makes you think
>>
>>3131655
>>3131657
>>3131668
tfw to intelligent for photo
>>
File: Reduced.jpg (572KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Reduced.jpg
572KB, 1000x667px
>>3131655
I agree with what you're saying about photography.
Although music is a poor comparison I think.. Music is much more open ended than photography. Taking a good picture is more similar to designing automobiles in my opinion; there is only so far you can go with the design of a car.
Quality post though, thanks for the read.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-E1
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.16
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:08:11 18:47:48
Exposure Time1/4 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/1.0
Brightness-5.0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessSoft
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessSoft
White BalanceCustom
Chroma SaturationUnknown
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeManual
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeManual Exposure
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusBlur Warning
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.