[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Infinity Focus Correction Lens Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 51sA7B9whKL_large[1].jpg (28KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
51sA7B9whKL_large[1].jpg
28KB, 480x480px
I think this is a broad enough category for its own thread on this slow board.

What exactly are these things? What do they do? From what I have gathered so far it seems like they are just low-quality teleconversion lenses used to achieve infinity focus when adapting lenses from one camera mount to another. It is said that without them you will only be able to use the lens as a macro or perhaps portrait lens.

So without this focus correction lens how far can you usually expect to be able to focus? One foot? Three feet? Ten feet?

Can you use a normal teleconverter in place of the focus correction lens to get the same effect but perhaps using superior glass?

Teleconverters are said to reduce the sensitivity of light. How does this work in combination with the crop factor of a camera? If have a lens with an aperture of 1.4 and put it on a camera with a crop factor of 1.3x and use a focus correction lens with a 1.4x factor what is my final effective aperture value? Is it f/2.548? This seems like it would defeat the point in adapting a fast lens if you could have just bought a cheaper native mount f/2 lens for about price as the f/1.4 lens and adapter together. And the effect can be even worse if the aperture is smaller such as f/4, which would then become a f/7.28 lens.

There is the claim that these focus correction lenses ruin image quality when shooting wide open. Is this exaggerated, or is it legit?
>>
File: 1457_IMG_2444_1[1].jpg (621KB, 900x607px) Image search: [Google]
1457_IMG_2444_1[1].jpg
621KB, 900x607px
My specific scenario is I have two Konica Hexanon lenses which are said to be very high quality I want to use with my EF mount camera, but the adapters for these lenses use a focus correction lens in them to achieve infinity focus. The lenses are pretty valuable, and I would get maybe $300 if I sold them both. But really I just want to be able to shoot in lower light, and having a f/1.4 lens would really help for that. But if the focus correction lens is reducing sensitivity by one stop or more that seems like it would be better for me to just sell the lenses and use the money to get the native EF mount f/1.4 lens on the used market. But I have read the Hexanon lenses are really sharp so I don't want to do that if I don't have to. I'd probably use this lens mostly for macro or up close photos 90% of the time anyway.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 450D
Camera SoftwareDigital Photo Professional
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2010:01:20 20:41:42
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width900
Image Height607
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeUnknown
Focus TypeAuto
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationUnknown
ContrastUnknown
Shooting ModeUnknown
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeUnknown
Flash ModeUnknown
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeUnknown
White BalanceUnknown
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed65408
>>
According to this the light sensitivity won't change even with adapters and crop factors:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/crop_sensor_cameras_and_lenses.html
>If Gertrude Stein had been a photographer she might have said "f2 is f2 is f2". The maximum aperture of a lens is constant. The f-stop is given by the focal length divided by the aperture size. If you have a lens with a focal length of 100mm and a physical aperture of 50mm, it's an f2 lens and will produce an image with a brightness determined by the fact that it's an f2 lens. Since neither the actual physical focal length nor the actual physical aperture change the when the lens is mounted on a camera, it's always an f2 lens. It doesn't matter if you use it on a full frame camera, an APS-C camera or and 8x10 camera. If it's f2, it's f2. Of course the angle of view that is recorded will be different for different formats and unless the lens was designed for 8x10, if you use it with an 8x10 camera you'll get a tiny image in the middle of a field of black, but the actual image brightness won't change because the lens will always be f2."

Does this sound right?
>>
The young flower is orange.
>>
>>3127320
what
>>
You need these adapters because the EF mount has a great flange distance than the konica mount. Because its impossible to move the lens further into the camera body you need the adapter to refocus the light. They are usually poor choices because unless you buy a fancy expensive one you're effectively adding a low quality optical element to your lens. For less than $300 you can get the canon 50mm 1.4 which will give you native electronic aperture and AF. Or you could buy a mirrorless camera.
>>
>>3127268
>pretty valuable... I would get maybe $300 if I sold them both

okay
>>
>>3127347
I have one identical to this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Konica-HEXANON-AR-21mm-f4-ex-condition-with-hood-and-case-perfect-optic-/302343126089?hash=item46650dfc49:g:MO4AAOSw-K9ZOF4x

This along with the 50mm f/1.4 which is pretty much brand new should fetch $300 overall. But I will only sell them if I can't figure out a good way to use them. I may go as far as putting them on the SLR I have to go with them and shooting film.
>>
>>3127368
Those hexanon lenses are only good on native mount film slr:s they were intended, or mirrorless like sony a7 or fuji x-t line. It's not worth the hassle to try to use them with ef mount. And while they are ok, they will not be as good as modern native mount lenses.
>>
>>3127275
>but the actual image brightness won't change because the lens will always be f2

f2 isn't a measure of brightness though.

He is right, the aperture wont be changed by an infinity focus adapter/teleconverter/whatever weird glass you are using, but the t-stops will change.
>>
>>3127438
So... does this mean the lens would still be good for low-light conditions or... ?
>>
>>3127662

Depends on how much light is lost to the adapter, and how much light gets through in the first place.

Most likely yes, it will be good in low light, but slightly worse than if no adapter/a glass free adapter was used.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.