[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Waterfall and Gorge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 12

File: 1.jpg (856KB, 880x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
856KB, 880x1100px
Hey, for those of you who enjoy some regular old waterfall photographs, here's twelve exposures I made during a short trip on a family visit.

The first setting is at the Cucumber Falls, and the next setting is at the Meadow's Run Natural Waterslide. These are both well known and easily accessible sites in Pennsylvania, which have both been photographed thousands upon thousands of times. I figured I would try my hand at it to pass the time.

We'll start with Meadow's Run.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
File: 3.jpg (1MB, 880x1100px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1MB, 880x1100px
Meadow's Run is a natural waterslide; the river has carved a smooth path through the rock, which many locals and visitors alike ride for a decent stretch. I didn't capture too much of the slide itself, but you can look up plenty of YouTube videos on it.

>>
File: 2.jpg (1MB, 1400x789px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1MB, 1400x789px
Here is the end of the 'slide', where riders exit Meadow Run before it empties into the Youghiogheny River. This post is also where I also recognize that this river is called 'Meadow Run' and not 'Meadow's Run'. I'll be writing a suicide note after the end of this thread for being so dense.

This particular photograph is a panoramic, the final resolution resting between 160 megapixels cropped and 175 megapixels uncropped. If anyone wants to see it in full-resolution, I have the file available on Dropbox.

>>
File: 4.jpg (608KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
608KB, 1200x900px
My technique was rather lazy and I apologize for that. I was more intent on enjoying myself. I didn't bring a remote to either of these locations. However, I still enjoyed the photographs in end for what they're worth as tourist snapshots.

>>
File: 6.jpg (359KB, 825x1100px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
359KB, 825x1100px
Here is a side view from Cucumber Falls. This is the night after the area received heavy rainfall over the course of two days, developing flash floods in the area.

This resulted in a large volume of water through the river, giving the falls a rather flush look. Given the amount of water in the rivers, I didn't catch anyone riding the natural waterslide, and I was a bit too hesitant to try it myself.

>>
File: 8.jpg (826KB, 880x1100px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
826KB, 880x1100px
Cucumber Falls from a distance. To the left you can see some typical midwestern folk meandering around the landscape.

>>
File: 7.jpg (572KB, 1200x1029px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
572KB, 1200x1029px
This is some foliage downstream Cucumber Run, which also empties into the Youghiogheny River.

>>
File: 9.jpg (480KB, 880x1100px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
480KB, 880x1100px
>>3127221

>>
File: 10.jpg (779KB, 786x1100px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
779KB, 786x1100px
Gotta apologize for the 'VSCO' look here, but I promise I didn't use any filters.

>>
File: 11.jpg (488KB, 1400x875px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
488KB, 1400x875px
>centers tree in middle of the frame

>>
File: 12.jpg (776KB, 1288x1100px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
776KB, 1288x1100px
One last view of Cucumber Falls.

Was trying to find a good vantage point from the front without any trees in the way, which was harder than I'd thought without getting my feet wet. I only had a 55mm on me, so I stitched together four frames to get a wider view.

That's all.

>>
File: Dykstra_20170628_0431.jpg (3MB, 1874x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Dykstra_20170628_0431.jpg
3MB, 1874x2500px
P.S.

Since I didn't actually have twelve photographs to share, here's one I took back in June.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
Image Width2500
Image Height2500
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:08:04 21:37:19
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1874
Image Height2500
>>
These were all great, really enjoyed them along with the information about the area. How long was the exposure?
>>
>>3127243
Thanks, anon. All the exposures were between 4 and 15 seconds, except for the close up of Meadow Run, which was a 1/4th exposure. No ND filters were use.
>>
These are pretty bad. Stick to chalk gimmicks.
>>
You talk too much and I suspect think too highly of yourself.
>>
Please keep tourist snapshots in the recent photo thread. No one could possibly enjoy these pictures.
>>
>>3127286
>These are okay for an amateur, but I prefer your studio photography.

Thanks, anon! I still like photographing landscapes on the side, but it's not something I go out of my way for. Granted, the editing is a bit sloppy and I rushed my technique while photographing.

>>3127287
>Your writing could be more concise and your over-explanation is insulting to the average reader on /p/.

Noted. I have a lot of improvements I can make in my writing. Thanks for the feedback!

>>3127294
>Generally speaking, unless photographed by an expert, landscapes are not an especially interesting subject, and would fare better in the Recent Photo Thread. Most people aren't especially interested in viewing amateur landscape photography.

Noted, but I typically don't post so many images at once.
>>
Focus more on the waterfalls, you have a lot of competing elements in compositions. If you're shooting a water fall, make the waterfall the main subject. Consider every object in the frame and whether it adds or detracts to the photo. Using trees to frame a water fall (if done correctly, typically without two vertical lines running across and through the from) isn't a bad concept. But the way you did it was terribly composed. Keep practicing. You'll get it!
>>
>>3127308
caught you tripdropping. filtered.
>>
>>3127308
what is this cringefest of a post? are you koorva?
>>
>>3127341
>Using trees to frame a water fall (if done correctly, typically without two vertical lines running across and through the from) isn't a bad concept. But the way you did it was terribly composed.

Unfortunately there was no vantage point where this was possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

>>3127356
Bye!
>>
>>3127362
>arguing with all criticism in the most passive tone you can manage
kill yourself
>>
>>3127208
I think this one could be a little over cooked.

>>3127220
>>3127222
>>3127226
>>3127213

These I enjoyed. Good write up too.
>>
>>3127222
the long exposure makes these look really cool. I enjoy this composition.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.