[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Photographer Website

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: website.png (2MB, 1892x1083px) Image search: [Google]
website.png
2MB, 1892x1083px
Hey folks, i am planning on doing my website this week end and would like some advices or examples of good/bad ones. Also if you know which service i should use free or paid.

It would be a simple portfolio only to display photos for clients.
>>
So some things I've noticed with photography websites is that they tend to fundamentally misunderstand some things about web design and end up overdesigning or underdesigning them.

DON'T:
>Overuse Javascript
This includes making imgur-style photo albums. Try to avoid using it at all.

>Throw 800 images of varying resolutions on the same page
Sometimes people will put a lot of work into one giant page. Don't do that. It will take like a decade to load. Use thumbnails, use multiple pages. Separate your work based on what you think will display it nicely.

>Use badly fitting background images
The one you posted? Really good because it can be easily fitted into any screen size. That can be resized onto a phone screen really easily and not cause problems.

Don't do something with like a persistent sidebar and not have a mobile version that clean that up.

DO:
>Think about mobile users
There are a lot of them. Think of them and make sure the site is usable on a mobile device.

>Think "is this site easily navigable"?
If a user can't find out your contact information/rates/etc easily, guess what they're not going to do? I mean some still will but so often friction will take users out of the equation.

>Make sure it looks professional, but still approachable.
You want to look like a one man act, not a studio (unless you are actually a studio).

THINK ABOUT:
>Releasing fullsize/thumbnail images
This all depends on your copyright. Obviously don't put fullsize, non-watermarked images front and center, or even in background images. People will download and use them, copyright be damned.

Of course if you don't really care about certain picture's copyright status, put them there by all means. Consider watermarks, etc.

>Colors and general look
Flat is IN right now. You'll notice the example you had had a lot of "flat" elements, and it looks good. Avoid gradients. Make sure your background image doesn't clash with your color choices.

Good luck on your website!
>>
>>3122595
fpbp, not even OP but you are fighting the good fight!
>>
tried all the big services, ended up with Format. it was the only one with a good looking dark theme. also just werks for mobile.
>>
I like https://22slides.com/
does anyone know of a similar framework that I could host on my own server?
>>
>>3122929
Wordpress or joomla.
>>
>>3122951
Thanks, can you recommend any specific wordpress galleries?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.