[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ebay General Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: eBay-logo-011.jpg (50KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
eBay-logo-011.jpg
50KB, 460x276px
So to those people that use Ebay on a regular basis, what do you look for? How do you go about buying and selling? Any useful snipe tools? Any good shilling tactics? Do people buy international goods?

I personally use Gixen, and to sell I usually start my bid at 99p to get people interested. If I'm too much of a pussy and start with a high start price I've noticed I get barely any interest, meanwhile if I start low, I usually sell for way beyond the original starting price I had.

Also, I cringe when I see shit like "near mint", "unboxed, used, hood missing, but in MINT condition". If the one thing Japs have is the mint condition definitions, they don't fuck around.

Any stories? Recent buying / selling?

Let's go.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D Mark IV
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution200 dpi
Vertical Resolution200 dpi
Exposure Time1/1600 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/14.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length175.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
>>
EBAY FUCKOING SUCKS NOW IT HAD COOL FILM GEAR BUT NOW IT HAS SHIT shit BURGERS SELL 24 EXP FILM LIKE ITS NOT GARAGE, LIKE IT WAS FUCKING GOLD. FUCK EBAY. FUCK EVERYTHING.
>>
>>3122350
child.
>>
>>3122345
I always buy buy it now shit from japan. Still cheaper than new, still cheaper than used in my home country. Also, used japanese stuff is usually very good quality/barely used and most of the time you pay the same price in an auction as long as the item is popular.
>>
Craigslist is better if you're in a big city in the USA. I see RX100 for $200 with a leather case, GRII for $350, and a ton of old film cams for dirt cheap.
>>
File: sigma lens.jpg (522KB, 3456x5454px) Image search: [Google]
sigma lens.jpg
522KB, 3456x5454px
>>3122345
I just had some patience and looked through a bunch of pages of my country's ebay equivalent, called 'marktplaats.nl' (the netherlands). If you live in eurozone, could be worth your time, use a whole page translation browser.

my patience payed off, I just got a 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 sigma lens for 10 euro. I've seen some ebay listings that sell this for 30 euro.

The only problem is that I'm a newbie and I'm not sure how to look up what kind of camera this was made for. I bought this with the full expectation that it would need an adapter ring just to fit on the camera and that I'd have to manual focus, but now I'm curious what it's even supposed to mount on to and if theoretically an adapter to make AF work even exists

it fits on my nikon D90, but AF doesn't work (duh)

Anybody have an idea where I can look this shit up?

>>3122493
you mean from japanese ebay?

do they have some kind of popular site for that kind of stuff?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width3456
Image Height2581
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:07:28 23:02:35
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width3456
Image Height5454
>>
>>3122504
Craigslist in the UK is utter shit, it's basically a repository for scams, hookers and men wanting to cheat on their wives with other men.

>>3122505
I think Sigmas were made for every camera at the time, Nikon/Canon, etc... but if you google "Sigma 100-300mm..." etc, it will give you more info, no?
>>
Recently bought a GR off ebay
>hey, these things are known to have sensor dust issues, whats this one like? have you noticed anything?
..Pajeet replies
>nothing wrong at all! been amazing camera

arrives with minor dust on the sensor and you're fucked if you wanna use aperture priority..
was mildly annoyed to say the least, but for the price I got it there was bound to be something wrong. I'll just use manual and not go above f/8 I suppose
>>
I both buy and sell on eBay fairly frequently. You can get good deals, but you have to be VERY careful about condition. A decent number of sellers will try to disguise minor defects or use weasel words in their description ("it works perfectly to my knowledge" etc) to make an item appear to be nicer than it is. Deals can still be found, but it's not exactly as good as it used to be.
>>
>>3122524
That's what you get for buying from Pajeet.
>>
>>3122493
do you have to pay import taxes etc on their products? Their prices seem too good to be true so I'm guessing you get fucked in customs at some point.
>>
For sniping, just bid in the last ten seconds (don't forget to be signed in before you do so, or you'll get fucked by a login screen). Never bid even or otherwise neat numbers, always tack on $1.67 or a weird number because most people bid in regular increments of $5, $10, etc. That way your $132.82 beats out everyone who bid $130.
>>
>>3122345
eBay's nice if you're buying film cameras/equipment, however if you're selling godspeed.
>>
Frequent seller (just moved some Leica gear, among other things). For selling, you must keep in mind two things. One, eBay takes about ten percent of your profits, so adjust prices accordingly. This also means that many eBay BIN prices are artificially inflated for the platform, which is great as a seller because you can often get more money for your gear than it's worth (especially if it's high-demand stuff). If it's low-demand, you're better off selling on Craigslist and seeing what happens.
>>
>>3122539
Also those Paypal jews take a further 4.5%, at least if you're in the UK.
>>
File: IMG_7252.jpg (3MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7252.jpg
3MB, 4320x3240px
>>3122345
The best advice I can give is to just look and look and look every day, day after day. Eventually you will come up on a killer deal. Usually it will be a listing from someone who does not deal in camera equipment, and the included photos and information may not be very good.

I looked every day for two months for another EOS Rebel 1D Mark II after I sold my first one.

Then I saw this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-II-8-2MP-W-lens-dual-charger-new-bat/132269081630?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I saw that and saw there were two other people watching. I guessed they were looking up the value of everything in the photo or trying to figure out what lens it had. Or maybe they made best offers.

I didn't need to think. I know that the camera and the charger alone are worth $225, and that was a fuck-huge Tamron zoom lens of some kind so it had to be at least $100. Add in a new battery and the original and I knew this was about as good as it was going to get.

When something is listed on ebay as "used" that means everything works. So you've got some insurance there. Worst case scenario you send it back and get a refund. I was willing to take that risk.

pic of the stuff after I got it back. I actually had it on ebay for a bit trying to double my investment and go around again, but I came to my senses and said enough is enough so I stopped the listing.

Anecdote: if you get a Tamron lens don't leave the rear lens cap laying around on the kitchen table because your mother might throw it in the trash thinking it is an old medicine bottle cap :\

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot SX210 IS
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size5.00 - 70.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.00
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2017:07:27 12:49:58
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/3.1
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/3.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Red-Eye Reduce
Focal Length5.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4320
Image Height3240
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeProgram
Focus TypeClose-Up (Macro Mode)
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeRed-Eye Reduction (On)
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeMacro
Subject Distance0.350 m
White BalanceTungsten
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed192
Image Number146-7252
>>
>>3122505
If it fits your D90, it's an F mount, dumbass.
>>
>>3122524
Does the dust mess up the metering?
>>
>>3122529
>it's not exactly as good as it used to be

It used to be better?
>>
>>3122575
>When something is listed on ebay as "used" that means everything works

WRONG, half the fucking retards list shit under "used" and clearly state the item's fucked in the description.
>>
>need money to buy fairly expensive lens
>decide to sell a pair of turntables that usually go for $600-800
>first auction the winner doesn't fucking reply to any of my messages after he won
>put it up for auction again
>second winner messages me and tell me lol sorry dude I ended up buying it somewhere else lol
>>
>>3122606
To some degree, yeah. One thing eBay's done is make it more difficult to list things under incorrect spellings. A few years back you could type in Lieca or Lietz and find cheaper leicas from people who didn't know what they had. That doesn't really happen anymore. In general, I also see more BINs than auctions nowadays, which makes it hard to get a good deal as a buyer.
>>
>>3122609
lol
>>
>>3122611
I've never sold anything.

How do they prevent that?
Do they give spelling suggestions like Google?
>>
>>3122613
Not as far as I know, but when you search "Lieca" it automatically forwards you to the Leica page. There used to be a workaround but I don't believe it works anymore.
>>
You have to really pay attention to to the photos and descriptions. If the photos are crap I usually don't bother because I can't tell the true condition of the item and if the seller can't get their act together enough to take a decent photo then the stuff they're selling is probably shit too.

I like to look for bundles. Just a couple weeks ago I got a excellent condition Canon New F-1 with a 24mm f/2 lens for $330. The lens alone goes for $200-300 on ebay while the camera body goes for the same. I took a gamble because they were untested from an estate sale but the pictures showed they were in good condition. They both work fine so I will probably sell the lens for around $250 and end up with a New F-1 for less than a hundred bucks.

I only fuck around with buy-it-now for small shit. Auctions can be fun for stuff you really want. People who put a reserve on items can fuck right off. If you want a certain amount then start the auction at that price. I'm not gonna play a game to see where your selling price is.
>>
>>3122493

Just this month I bought a film camera older than I am from Japanese buy it now that looked like it had just come out the box. But when I tried loading it with film, the winder got stuck.

Contacted the seller about it, he paid for me to send it back, sent it off to get repaired (which took quite awhile actually), and is sending it back to me. Should arrive today or tomorrow. Hopefully it works.

Those sellers don't play games. I expected him to tell me I was shit out of luck, but he really went out of his way to help.
>>
>>3122607
That is their fuck-up, and it won't hold up under ebay's scrutiny. Even if you state it blatantly in the description. The used category trumps all. If you buy it and it doesn't work you are entitled to a full return, even if they try to dispute it.

Of course, you'd be pretty stupid to buy something the seller themselves says doesn't work. But if they say it works then it has to work or you always get your money back.
>>
>>3122624
>If the photos are crap I usually don't bother because I can't tell the true condition of the item
You're missing out on the best deals because bad photos usually mean amateur ebayer rather than scammer.
>>
I have noticed that buy-it-nows with a "or best offer" option generally are better deals overall on a lot of things. Especially if it is a used listing. Someone who lists something as used with best offers accepted isn't really too sure what the thing they're selling is worth, and sometimes you can benefit.
>>
>>3122649

There is usually a difference between amateur seller photos and awkwardly taken to hide damage photos though.
>>
File: 250px-428Lopunny.png (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-428Lopunny.png
50KB, 250x250px
>>3122345
I buy individual pokemon cards. Not for competitive pokemon, but because I like the idea of owning cards as if they were my real pets/team.

I secretly have a pocket of six cards at all times. Nothing else.
>>
>>3122659
You have to build up the spider sense to know which is which.
>>
>>3122505
not from japanese ebay. "regular" ebay has plenty of sellers with global shipping options. Ironically, probably USA sellers are the least likely to ship outside the USA. I live in Hungary
>>
>>3122532
In the EU, you have to pay around 5% customs plus VAT depending on your country's laws. If the value is below 50 euro for example, it's very rare that you have to pay anything, they (regular post customs, not fedex or dhl) simply don't have the manpower to process all boxes, but if you order something with a declared value of several hundred euro, you can count on having to pay all that extra shit

with more expensive pentax autofocus lenses for example it's the only way to get them as the used market is too small in europe
>>
>>3122646
yeah, japanese sellers are generally more trustworthy than other asians, though I have bought from south korea as well, and they were bros enough to declare a lower value, which japs won't do
>>
>>3122659
even then a pro might photoshop the pictures

I usually take a photo from all angles if I'm selling, but I photoshop dust/hair particles off especially black materials because noobs might think it's a dent
>>
i just want a decent cheap nikon lens
>>
File: oops.jpg (25KB, 610x172px) Image search: [Google]
oops.jpg
25KB, 610x172px
Did I make a mistake? I already have a 35mm f1.8.

Should I have spent ~$150-200 more on a Tamron or Sigma 17-50 lens for f/2.8?

Maybe this could tide me over for learning and let me consider switching systems?

PhotographerMe
>>
>>3122745
>Should I have spent ~$150-200 more on a Tamron or Sigma 17-50 lens for f/2.8?
Yes
>>
>>3122745
The AF-P kit is pretty nice. Focuses extremely quickly compared to your prime and is quiet as hell. You won't need the extra light anyway most of the time.
>>
>>3122604
fair enough

but then why does the body show a fee error code when I mount it? I can only take manual pics.
>>
>>3122611

Yep, there used to be a site called "fat fingers" where it generated a combination of spelling mistakes and ran it through eBay.

I guess eBay spoon feeds the sellers as they don't want to get people discouraged from selling just because they are fucktards.
>>
>>3122661
Just die
>>
>>3122649
>You're missing out on the best deals because bad photos usually mean amateur ebayer rather than scammer.

Probably, but it's not worth the risk on an expensive item. I want to at least be able to see if it's in good condition.
>>
>>3122935
>Probably, but it's not worth the risk on an expensive item.
If it is listed as used you can return it if it isn't working. The seller has to pay the return shipping.
>>
>>3122524
if the item is not as described, request a return.

the seller has to pay shipping and depending on what the item is worth, he might just refund the money and say keep the item.

if the seller fucks off, just dispute through ebay and you can still get your money back. they are heavily biased towards buyers.
>>
Fully functional apparently, 200€, worth it?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.