[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 47

File: 1485505056973.jpg (209KB, 1267x835px) Image search: [Google]
1485505056973.jpg
209KB, 1267x835px
Questions that don't deserve their own threads:

Taking an idea from other boards since there are a lot of threads with very few responses. Post your questions in here that don't quite fit in with /gear/ or the other generals.

I'll start. Are there any good lightmeter phone apps?
>>
>>3122333
so, that /p/ book for 2016.....?
>>
>>3122333
I live in Australia and currently use a flatbed scanner to dry mount my film negetives from 135mm up to 4x5. I want to try my hand at wet mounting. The first problem im facing is trying to find a mounting fluid product here in Australia. Obviously the liquid is pretty volatile and people wont ship it internationally. Are there any fluids i can buy from hardware stores that will do. I see some people suggest everything from baby oil to lighter fluid.
>>
>>3122333
I bought David Quiles' LightMeter app yesterday because I was getting sick of the free version. The full version gives you the ability to callibrate the measurements manually which I did side-by-side with a DSLR's meter because I was unsure about my phone camera's base readings (which I am glad I did because it was off). That plus the fact that it retains ISO and other settings makes it a lot more useful. Can't comment on the incident meter's accuracy though as I always use it on reflected mode.
>>
>>3122360
Does the paid version have more improvements than no ads and manually calibration? I'm thinking I could just test it against a couple DSLRs then remember by how much it is off.

>>3122349
Looks like it's still in the works. Here's a thread from a couple weeks ago about it.

>>3112083
>>
>>3122333
so in gear thread i asked a question whether i should keep my D90 or not. some guy told me that there are better FF MILC and cams that have modern APS-C with better quality and lighter weight. but what makes better quality ? i own D90 and yes tb h it's pretty heavy and i'm thinking about changing to another DSLR but lighterweight and as good of a quality or better. what should i pick ? or should i just stay with my heavy ass D90 ?
>>
>>3122372
also no don't rec me some mirrorless. i like using OVF.
>>
>>3122369
The only things that I can think of are the ISO/settings retention, wider ISO range (3-6400) and manual callibration. You could just test it with a DSLR and mentally compensate to get correct readings but, honestly, just to get rid of the annoyance of having to set ISO each time was worth it for me. Plus there are far worse ways to spend 2 eurobucks.
>>
>>3122333
This is my first time on this board. I just found an old polaroid land camera in my house and is there any way I can get film for it? Also found a canon t70, gunna read the manual but surely they still make film for those? Am a total noob but eager to learn
>>
>>3122376
You can get film for it but it won't be even close to the same quality that the original Polaroid film was, plus it will be very very expensive. The T70 is a fun one, and yes it takes regular 35mm film that is still widely available.

My advice would be for you to lurk in here for a long while, read up as much as you can about how to use your camera and what the ISO/aperture size/shutter speed triangle is. And of course buying a bunch of film and shooting. A lot. Do check the prices to develop film at your local labs and have fun!
>>
>>3122380
Thanks bro!
>>
I can't read any of the words in the viewfinder in my d3400. Do I need a monocle or is there a way I can calibrate it to be easier to read?
>>
best compact camera for nature shots around the £300 mark? ideally with a flash
>>
>>3122461
Did you try the little adjustment knob on the top right of the viewfinder
>>
>>3122471
oh fuck, thanks
>>
>>3122480
You're welcome. I am dumb as well.
>>
I'm a total newbie to cameras in general.

I've got a camcorder with a 43mm lens. Does this mean I can use any filter or attachment as long as It's 43mm? Or are some threaded differently or what? I'm new to all this.

Store pages list stuff as FOR CANON [model] or whatever but is otherwise the right size. Are they special fitted or is that just marketing?
>>
>>3122465
Used panasonic lx100
>>
>>3122333
there's already a thread, dumbfag too stupid to use the catalog >>3114309
>>
Why are there so many VSCO presets for Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.? You're only supposed to use Canon presets for Canon cameras and Sony for Sony cameras?
>>
I'm not even sure camcorders accept filters or lens attachments. Isn't the whole point that they're made purley for brainless consumers? Consult your camera's guide. Honestly, I don't see why you didn't fork out a little extra cash for a DSLR
>>
Is a 300mm lens good for astral photography? Just picked one up on Amazon, and was wondering how to get good pics of the moon. I'm gonna use it for other things but I want that to be the test.
>>
I have an Auto Sears 55mm 1.4 that has an M and AF switch. I am using it on my EOS M. How do I make it use AF or is this lens purely Manual Focus even though it has an AF option? Do I need a different adapter or something?
>>
>>3125996

You'd have to have an adapter that also adapts the electronic contacts from the body to the lens. What mount is the lens made for? FD?
>>
>>3126002
M42 screw mount
>>
>>3126005

I am slightly surprised any lenses with autofocus were even made in M42. Are you sure? If the switch goes between A and M, that's probably not autofocus, it's probably auto aperture. When you put it on A, it just means the camera will stop the lens down for you (if it has that ability). I think that's what you've got.
>>
>>3126016
Oh okay, that is probably what it means. I just assumed it meant Manual or Auto Focus. Ah well.
>>
>>3126017

Yeah, to shoot with that lens on the M, you'll need the lens on M and the camera in stopped down metering mode. But definitely still usable, plenty of people shoot vintage glass with mirrorless setups.
>>
>>3125862
Bumping this.
>>
File: KEN_6085-1200.jpg (227KB, 1200x1231px) Image search: [Google]
KEN_6085-1200.jpg
227KB, 1200x1231px
>>3122644

no:
filter sizes refer to the diameter of the lens.
lens sizes refer to the focal length, which measures how close / far everything is

so you'd have to see what's the diameter of your lens, written on the frond glass piece of it, and then find the correct filter.

pic related is 74 mm in diameter, so you'd buy a 74 mm filter, but the actual name of the lens 28-135 mm
>>
File: 3973688726_0a597d908d_b.jpg (162KB, 1024x731px) Image search: [Google]
3973688726_0a597d908d_b.jpg
162KB, 1024x731px
Is a Mamiya 7 and 65mm lens for $2000 USD a good deal?
>>
File: 1501625078438.gif (722KB, 256x120px) Image search: [Google]
1501625078438.gif
722KB, 256x120px
Dff
>>
>>3122333
Does a Nikon 50mm dx lens exist? Or do I need to use like a 35mm fx due to crop factor? Or am I backwards?
>>
>>3126167
What you said is right. You need a 35 dx bc there is no 50 dx
>>
I got a question.
I'm the happy owner of a pentax K5 with several lenses, but I end up using my 35mm 2.8 macro 99% of the time.

The point is, i now travel a lot for my work, and the K5 is too bulky (I just hate travelling with more than a backpack), so I need a compact camera.

I stopped on two models :
-Ricoh GR (logical choice since I'm already pentax)
-Fuji X100.

The only drawback for the Ricoh is the battery...

What should I do ?
>>
>>3127442

Also price is not really the issue.
I always buy my gear second hand but if the new GR is worth it I might consider buying new for once
>>
Ok guys...i need some help. I got two really nice m42 lens and used a glassless adapter to fit them on my nikon d3300. The thing is...no matter how much i try, infinity focus doesn't work for shit! Read about it on the web and found a couple of fixes but it requires me to fuck with the glass inside the lens.

Come on guys...help a brother out... there must be an easier way to fix this.
>>
>>3127453
Buy mirrorless
Or use an adapter with glass inside that will reduce the flange focal
>>
>>3127481
Well getting another body Is out if the question because money. I've been looking at those kind of adaptors but the general consensus is that it really fucks the output. Do you know a certain brand of adaptors with higher quality glass?
>>
hey look, another useless general thread.
>>
>>3127548

Hey look, an asshole pointing with one finger and scratching his rectum with the other. Contribute or make your own thread.
>>
File: IMG_1283.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1283.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Recently got this gem of an AE-1 at an auction. Perfect condition except there's fungus in the viewfinder/ lens. How fucked am I /p/?
>>
So I live in Europe and I have the Canon t7i (american name) and am now in the US and would like to look at some lenses; I am really digging the 24mm STM pancake lenses...does it make any difference if I buy it here or in Europe? will it work just fine?
>>
>>3122372
D7500
I mean it's not like I'm gonna recommend you switch to Canon or Pentax, you already got Nikon lenses. There's no point in this price bracket of changing systems
>>
I keep seeing d3000 lots going for like 130 quid on eBay. I was thinking of getting a DSLR camera just to fuck around with on holiday next month, my first one. Though my cousin who knows his cameras says the d3000 a shit. But is it worth it for 100 quid? The camera has glowing reviews as an entry level DSLR.
>>
File: Untitled picture.png (233KB, 661x393px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled picture.png
233KB, 661x393px
I'm trying to select a sample point in GIMP but when I drag from the ruler at the top I just get a horizontal reference line instead of a sample point. This happens with the sample points window opened.
>pic related
How do I get sample points to work again?
>>
I need help identifying a piece of software I was made aware of here a few years back. It worked as an extension to lightroom and it had multiple analog film presets that were surprisingly realistic, it was more complex than just presets, and it was possible to work directly through it but the presets is what I remember the most. I only recall the name being somewhat peculiar (maybe associated with an animal/specie of some sort). I've searched for it for a while now but I've had no luck.
>>
>>3127921
depends on how bad the lens fungus is, the mirror/viewfinder fungi doesn't matter because the mirror flips up before exposing the film ya dingus.
>>
>>3127442
Okay I solved ly own problem.

Got a GR.
>>
What does this mean bros:
This camera

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx530-hs#/

Focal Length
4.3 (W) - 215.0 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-1200mm)

The equivalent part, do all digital cameras have the same equivalency?

Would i be able to zoom in more with that camera or with a canon t6 with this lens:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-75-300mm-f-4-56-iii

Also is canon t6 good for beginners?
>>
javi es puto

te meo dijo el barsinso
>>
I the ony E 55-210 any good? I hear it's soft at the long end and it's only 4.5-6. However I see a used one for £100 and I'm thinking I could play around with it, then sell it for £130-150 maybe? or am I optimistic about that number?
>>
Are there any cameras that take better pictures than camera phones that are less than $150? Specifically pictures of people in various lighting conditions.
>>
Is there any reliable way to consistently get lens flare in portraits? Other than adding them in post.
>>
>>3129377
Try bidding on relatively big-sensor compact like sony rx100 or canon g1x. Also there are plenty of oly e-pl1 w/ kit lens around $150.
>>
>>3129395
Old lenses
>>
i was looking at the 40mm nikon macro lens, which says it does 1:1 at around the same minimum focusing distance as my 18-55 kit lens.

the kit lens obviously isn't 1:1 at 40mm or at 55mm, so i'm assuming it has the equivalent fov of a longer lens. what actually is that equivalent fov? lenses/camera are dx format btw
>>
Looking to upgrade to FF from my t2i. Got a couple EF lenses (24-105usm, nifty 50, 75-300 is usm).
Is the 6d a good value for 800$?
>>
>>3129687
Yes. 6D has its flaws but they're minor enough to be easily overlooked for that price.
>>
>>3126155

fuck no
>>
File: game-thrones-battle-bastards.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
game-thrones-battle-bastards.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
How does color grading work? I want to get a look similar to this, but no matter what I do it just looks like the white balance is off instead of looking like pic related.
>>
Need some tips on taking sport pictures.

Just snap away and hope for a good pic or is there more to it?
>>
File: Collage 2017-08-09 15_23_29.jpg (175KB, 1080x897px) Image search: [Google]
Collage 2017-08-09 15_23_29.jpg
175KB, 1080x897px
Leica are giving me a retrim on my M9 for free with a service. Shall I choose a colourful option or just stick with black (ostrich or cowhide)? What would be best for resale? I quite like the khaki colour.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2017:08:09 15:23:56
Image Height897
Image Width1080
>>
>>3130107
god those colors are fugly
>>
>>3130117
I know! You'd think leica would have nicely thought out, tasteful colours but all the options are garish as fuck.
>>
>>3130107
A free M9? Shit, I want one.

And I saw an M9 irl the other day, it looked really good. But I am not sure it wouldn't get tiring after awhile.

The ostrich looks weird too, I'd just go with the black cowhide.
>>
>>3130133

errr that is supposed to say...

>And I saw a RED M9 irl the other day, it looked really good. But I am not sure it wouldn't get tiring after awhile.
>>
>>3130134
Yea the red look pink on the website...
Tbh the green is really growing in me and it's reminiscent of the special editions they did A while back.
>>
>>3127941
yeah no problem with that. Been looking at it myself as I'm very happy with my 40mm but would like a 35ish mm equivalent
>>
>>3130140

Yea, it is not pink, it is like a fire engine red.

That said, that olive drab green is a lot better.

Though from what I have seen on the web, it is only a few hundred to get it refinished in any way you want. Might be easier to just get black and change it later if you really want a different color.
>>
>>3129929

desaturate, splt tone blues, flatten the shadows
>>
File: spooky forest.jpg (429KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
spooky forest.jpg
429KB, 1000x667px
is there any must read books for a beginner looking to take better photos?

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern866
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:08:09 20:07:06
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Thoughts on skin softening for portraits? Is it something people sort of expect from you if you're a portrait photographer? Have you ever done it and had someone complain that it made them look weird? How much do you move the clarity slider? Go full retard and do -100%, or do something more subtle like around the -20% range?I feel like -100% hits a little too close to uncanny valley, but anything higher than -50% is too subtle to notice that it's not even worth editing in the end.
>>
bit of a stretch, but to the pros on here:
Does anybody have their own studio? I don't mean just pushing the sofa to the side but an actual studio space in another building. Where were you up to professionally when you decided to get somewhere? were you getting all the clients you needed to justify it before signing up? did getting a studio add a great deal of value to your business?
>>
>>3130144
Nice, how much did it cost you? Considering I'm more into video I want that wide angle that the 24mm will give me, otherwise I'd pick the 40mm, so far so good?
>>
What kind of SD cards do you guys use?

I recently learned that there's a difference between regular SD cards from Walmart and high-performance SD cards sold in photography stores, and I'd like to know what the big boys use.
>>
>>3130423
>there's a difference between regular SD cards from Walmart and high-performance SD cards sold in photography stores
i thought the high performance ones were mostly just for shooting raw video formats that generate huge files quickly, what other advantages over regular sd cards do they offer?
>>
does anyone know any SLR repair shops in the texas DFW area?
my canon FTb QL is about a stop too quick compared to what it's set to, from what i gather when i set it on the slower speeds, not that ive shot anything with it yet
>>
I have an A6000 with EVF

When it's dark and the viewfinder is lagging, the image brightens and becomes fluid while I'm half pressed and it's autofocusing. What is happening during that autofocus?
>>
>>3130453
pretty much just what you say, faster data processing.
Make sure to get at least an SDHC
>>
Sony a6000 or Fuji x100f?
>>
>>3130837
>>3130839
Pls
>>
>>3131111

a6000, better glass, better sensor, way more flexible (changable lenses).

A fuckton cheaper too.
>>
>>3122480
It's called a diopter, in case you want to impress people at parties.
>>
Accidentally bought a GRDIV instead of a GR. Should I kill myself?
>>
Is there a guide out there you guys would recommend for photography using cell phones?
>>
How do I get a good pic of the eclipse when the sun will be at such a high angle? I'll be in NC so trying to maybe get to the base of a mountain or something for some foreground but I dunno.

Plus I have no clue as to what settings I should use when it's partial

East coast so around 2-3pm I think, btw
>>
>>3131250
I saw a class on Groupon for "iphoneography"
>>
I live in a small city and it's boring, I need ideas on what to photograph..
>>
>>3131783
Photograph your boring small city.
You already know it, the rest of the world doesn't. You can take good pictures in a boring environment as well.
>>
File: l.jpg (303KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
303KB, 1280x853px
>>3122333
looking for a small, cheap classic manual focus lens around 50-58mm to use with a fuji x-m1 plus adapter. any recommendations?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2013:05:21 19:26:38
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/9.9
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.57 m
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length70.00 mm
Image Width1280
Image Height853
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
do yall usually have a beginners thread or is this basically it?

im looking for my first camera and dont quite know what to look for. i'd need it to mostly take pictures of paintings i do (id probably be taking them outside since i think theres prettier backgrounds than just hanging in my small room), something i could take on camping trips, and something that could still get a couple portraits done if i needed.

is there some general flowchart i can reference or is there something someone can recommend just off that? $300-400 budget too and i dont mind checking around on craigslist or 5mile
>>
>>3132098
There is small modern meike 50/2 in native mount, though corners are shit. Pentax-A 50/1.7 or E series Nikon will be quite small among other vintage lens but adapter will make it twice bigger.
>>
Guys, how many megapixel perfect for APS-C ? I've read that too many megapixels can create noises in your picture.
>>
>>3132098
i love my zuiko 50mm 1.8
>>
>>3132099
A shit pointy clicky $200 or less camera would be fine for your needs. Honestly a cell phone might be fine also.
>>
How do I take pictures that look like the way the world like when I'm wearing sun glasses? I always see something neat and then take them off to get a picture but realize the natural light looks terrible. Some kind of filter, I assume?
>>
>>3132634
polarized filter
>>
File: CircularPolarizer.jpg (172KB, 609x395px) Image search: [Google]
CircularPolarizer.jpg
172KB, 609x395px
>>3132634
I almost never take mine off tbqhwymm
>>
>>3132658
So why not an orange filter or something? I'll definitely look into getting one of those if only for protecting the lens.
>>
>>3132664
It's more than just color. Helps with glare and flares and overexposure and with water landscape pics.
>>
Which Camera should i get? T7i,D5600,a6300. i get them cheap from my job.
>>
I'm a shithead - what are good lens filters for contrast when shooting black and white film

alternatively, is there any benefit to shooting near-infared film? seems like such a minor step
>>
File: 00u0u_8SYQkFR9p0y_600x450.jpg (3KB, 106x110px) Image search: [Google]
00u0u_8SYQkFR9p0y_600x450.jpg
3KB, 106x110px
Hi, I've been looking for a DSLR at around $500 - $600 w/ lens for awhile. Upgrading from a Canon EOS Rebel XTi (aka 400D from 2006!) Planning on buying a prime lens on top of this.

Is the Canon EOS Rebel T6i/T6s a decent option? Keeping my current lenses would be pretty slick and they seem fairly comparable to similarly priced Nikon/Sony from specs and whatnot. Low light is a big deal. The main thing is I'd like to also be able to record 1080p video on occasion, but 60fps isn't a huge deal for me.

Anything is an upgrade really. Outside of video quality, I just want something I won't ~really~ need to upgrade for some time. The T6s looks nice, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>3132829
I think the t6s with kit lens is over 600 bucks
>>
>>3132834
Any reason not to use the kit lens from my 400D? Still an EF-S lens so it should work fine, right? A T6s without any lens is right at $600.
>>
>>3132836
It'll work just fine, however those old canon kit lenses are kind of horrible in every way. But yes you could use it untill you can afford something better.
>>
>>3132836
Ah sorry I read wrong. Yeah keep your current lens.
Where did you see the t6s (body only) at $600? I just checked ant its $700 both at Amazon and Best Buy

Also, why don't you just settle for the t6i better? Only thing the t6s has that the t6i doesn't is the top LCD screen and servo autofocus in Live view mode

Better yet, just get the new SL2 with Dual Pixel Autofocus, that's what I am digging. It can also shoot 1080p at 60fps and it's a smaller, compact body.
>>
>>3132844
Yeah I heard that but still, saving some cash is always nice. When I swap out my lens I'll get something quality, but that'll be years from now.

>>3132845
eBay, new. There's one or two sellers doing Body Only (plus charger n shit ofc) for $600.

The top LCD on the top of the T6s really tickles my fancy since I can use it without ever touching the normal LCD. Supposedly it increases battery life a bit, but I dunno how true that is. Not sure if it's worth $60 more than a body only t6i.

On the SL2, what are the disadvantages over the T6i/T6s? From the specs it looks nearly the same, but with a newer processor and 60fps video. It looks real good, but it seems too good to be true.
>>
>>3132849
I would have expected the t6i to be $100 cheaper, but if it's only 60 bucks more for the t6s then I'd probably go for it; the top LCD does increase battery life and also gives a "pro" feeling to the camera, your choice.

As for the SL2, in terms of disadvantages you get only 9 focus points, one of which is cross-type...so you are getting quite an old system in that sense (the Rebel 2ti already had 9 focus points, back in 2011..). But you get a faster processor, smaller body, 60 fps, timelapse mode and such.

In my case, I rarely do any sports/action photography so 9 focus points is enough for what I do (in terms of picture quality tho you get the same results you would get with a t6i/t6s and even an 80D because they all share the same resolution, at a fraction of the price). I'm leaning more into video since I wanna make small documentaries and such, so the Dual Pixel AF is just brilliant here...neither the t6s nor t6i have it.
>>
>>3132853
My Rebel XTi has 9 focus points so it's not like it'll get worse at least. I find that it's fine even in situations where either me or the subject is moving, but having more is better I suppose.

60fps video and a better processor on a smaller body does seem like a real nice bonus. I'd only ever really use 60fps to halve the video speed, but it sounds nice to have. But again, my camera right now has no video capabilities so anything is an upgrade.

I'm getting something in late September so maybe there will be a deal on either one that'll push me over the edge. But for now it seems like a battle of 60fps + $50 cheaper VS better autofocus + top facing LCD
>>
>>3132859
It really comes down to what you are using it most for...if it's for video than SL2 (60fps and the awesome Dual Pixel AF). If it's for photography than t6i/t6s, you get 19 focus points (all of which are cross-type afaik) and faster continuous shooting
>>
>>3122333
guys. what makes lenses sharp ? i heard that less milimeter means sharper image but is it true ?
>>
Tamron 20-40 anyone? Should i get one for crop? Where is gearthread?
>>
>>3122333
guys please be honest : why are you using a rangefinder camera ?
>>
What's the best way to understand the exposure triangle? I seem to constantly confuse myself with it and I usually stick with what I learned for film and stick with a 400-3200 ISO but I know it's more complex than that
>>
>>3133074
all three aspects play into how exposed your photo is, but they all also have their own properties. i'll briefly outline it; hope this helps:

the higher the iso, the the more highly exposed, but the more grainy it is

the larger the aperture (smaller the f/x number) the more exposed, but also you get more depth of field (i.e. less is in focus)

the shorter the shutter speed, the more exposed but then you get blur
>>
>>3133096
Don't you need to know the value of your exposure and such when you mess with those or is that if you wanna be more technical?
>>
>>3122333
/k/ommando here. Just picked up a Vivitar EZ35. Don't know the first thing about photography

>what can I do with this thing
>best film to use

Any other tips? Would this camera be good just to take pictures of family and friends or can I take nice photos outside with it?
>>
What's the best way to be 100% sure something is in focus with a manual focus lens? There are times when I take a picture of something sure it's in focus and it turns out to be super fuzzy.
>>
>>3133158
Magnification in the Live View
>>
>>3133170
But for a film camera? Do I just need glasses or something?
>>
I don't quite know if this should go here or /g/, but I'll post here
What's a cheap, lightweight laptop that I can use to edit my photos when I travel?
Budget is preferably under $300, the cheaper the better.
>>
>>3133102
look up the sunny 16 rule and go from there
>>
found a fuji X-A1, body only, for $150, shoudl i cop? I'd probbaly get a mount to use my nikon 28 and 50
>>
>>3122374
Fuji xpro has optical and electronical viewfinder, you can switch it within 1 second
Also the best sensors right now

Your d90is pretty old...get a fullframe nikon d610 or the fuji xpro
>>
>>3133300
Aren't the a1's none fuji x trans ?
Get the m1 atleast
>>
xpro1 user here with the 28mm & 35mm lenses...thinking of adapting the carl zeiss 50mm 1,4 (contax yashica mount)
to use as portrait lens, that would be 75mm
is this a good idea or should i keep using my 35mm (50mm fulframe) for portraits
>>
How come nikon isnt producing any pancake lenses?
>>
>>3133300
yes, that's a steal if it works.

>>3133332
none x trans is even better.
>>
>>3133332

Lacking x-trans is a major plus.

I\d be all over the x100 if there was a version with a real sensor and fast autofocus. As it stands, the x100f falls short of both points.
>>
>>3122333
when is a 50mm good ?
>>
>>3133380
when you can't compose for shit.
>>
>>3133340
Yeah, that baffles me too. Apparently Yongnuo will have 40mm f/2.8

Looks like ideal lens for street snapshits.
>>
>>3130346
well first of all no its not expected. second of all if you're getting paid what the FUCK are you doing using lightroom for post???????? seriously??? lightroom is good for post when you're editing little instagram snapshits but it doesn't go beyond that
>>
>>3132112
12MP is good enough. above that is pointless
>>3132807
lens hoods. filters don't do anything for you.
>>
>>3133380
always and forever.
>>
File: xnview-win-03.jpg (137KB, 1170x670px) Image search: [Google]
xnview-win-03.jpg
137KB, 1170x670px
>>3122333
whats the best image viewer for photography (windows)?

I'm using xnview for years and just realised after editing an image in PS, that its shows my images much flatter. Less contrast and less saturated than in PS or the build in win7 viewer.
>>
>>3133760
t. Never shot black and white
>>
As someone new to digital, which would be better: Lightroom or GIMP? I've done some of my own research but I have no experience with either. What would /p/ recommend?
>>
File: 1488231352480.jpg (25KB, 297x291px) Image search: [Google]
1488231352480.jpg
25KB, 297x291px
how do i get over my autism of shooting in public? i feel like i give off creepy vibes when walking around carrying my dslr in public especially when taking pictures
>>
Thoughts on 1:1 aspect ratio? Meme fad or legitimate compositional tool? Would you consider cropping a large majority of your future work to a 1:1 ratio?
>>
File: send help.jpg (1MB, 1914x2552px) Image search: [Google]
send help.jpg
1MB, 1914x2552px
Two questions related to the picture:

1) How do I make sure the face/eyes are in focus? This particular one was a fast hipshot so I'm not surprised focus is off but getting the right focus seems to be a problem appearing in most of my photos.

2) How the fuck do I effectively post-process pictures? This photo basically just has a default orange-y color filter slapped on, with some other minor adjustments. I'm currently using RawTherapee because I'm a poor fuck, but should I just get Lightroom and start learning that instead on wasting time on RawTherapee?

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3100
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee 4.2.1148
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image Width1914
Image Height2552
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2017:08:01 21:48:52
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
ISO Speed Used800
Image QualityRAW
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeAF-C
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested800
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation162111488.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon G Series
Lens Range18.0 - 200.0 mm; f/3.5 - f/6.3
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations14495
>>
>>3134220
Same recipe as to a happy life in general: stop giving a fuck. Who the fuck cares what some strangers think. You don't owe them a god damn thing.
>>
>>3134220
Weird, I feel cool and interesting when I carry my camera.

Maybe try growing some self confidence
>>
>>3134350
>>3134350
why is there so much grain at 800?, this looks like a 2000s nokia phone picture

1. autofocus and stopping down your aperture usually does the job. if you wanna shoot wide open, just auofocus and shoot 5-10 shots to increase the probability that one of the pictures didnt fuck up. this picture is not "out of focus" it has motion blur because you shot a moving subject up close at 1/20s. use a faster shutterspeed, get your subject into the light, so your camera can perform better. you can get great results with an entry level dslr, but the light has to be really great.
2. get lightroom, just pirate it, its really intuitive. the orange filter doesnt work at allshooting with a lower iso yeilds more pleasing colors and is easier to work with in post and get right.
>>
>>3134450
Hi helpful person.

I'll be shooting the crowd or myself during the solar eclipse at totality, what kind of settings should I use for that? If it's completely black and I have no flash the only light will be from the stars I believe. The total darkness only lasts for a minute and a half so I'll have to change settings on the fly if I want to take photos during the partial eclipse also.
>>
>>3134454
Also would I'd have better luck taking photos the sun behind the camera, in front of the camera or from the side?

I've never taken photos of people, only of landscapes and wildlife... I'm noob
>>
>>3134454
either use a tripod, with long shutterspeeds, and the lens stopped down a stop or two. this can blur people if they move too much. or just use high iso, which will yeild more noise and more blotchy bad colors.. youll probably want to shoot in aperture priority with a predetermined iso if youre going for tripod, or shutter priority with auto iso, if youre going handheld.

when shooting handheld, your shutterspeed should not go below 1.5 x your focal lenght, since youre using a crop camera, so when shooting at 18mm you should not go below 1/25 ish when 35mm, not below 1/50 ish etc. its not a hard fast rule, just a general guideline. if you lean ur camera against something rigid, you can use a bit slower shutterspeed.
>>
>>3134455
that depends, just explore and experiment, you will look back at the photos 1 year from now and think they suck either way. But thats because you just have to try and fail, and youll only get better by having no idea about what youre doing again and again til you start having an idea about what youre doing.
>>
>>3134457
>>3134458
Thanks anon(s)
>>
>>3134188
Use both
>>
File: 1501804583057.jpg (28KB, 469x409px) Image search: [Google]
1501804583057.jpg
28KB, 469x409px
What exactly is a macro lens and what makes it different from a non-macro lens? Is it literally just the 1:1 or other things come into play?

Someone is selling a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens for well under MSRP. I'm in the market for a portrait lens in this focal range. It's f/2.8 and have image stabilization so those are big bonuses. I just don't know if a macro lens would be good for this or not.
>>
When I record video with my Canon G5X, at first it's fine but after a few minutes there's a clear low buzzing tone in the audio. Is there a way to get rid of this?
>>
>>3134597
Macro lenses are excellent for portraiture. Not only are they tele's but they're also razor sharp wide open. Additionally, wide open is f/2.8, which means you can actually get enough depth of field to cover a person's face, whilst still getting smooth, round, open-aperture bokeh.
Google Peter Hurley, he has made a meme of himself taking headshot portraits, he uses the Canon 100mm macro.
>>
File: 20170817_190721.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170817_190721.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
My grandpa died last week and I found these while clearing out his house.

be honest, what am I in for? (or should I even bother?)

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-J327V
Camera SoftwareJ327VVRU1AQE2
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.9
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image Width2576
Image Height1932
Image Created2017:08:17 19:07:21
Exposure Time1/11 sec
F-Numberf/1.9
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/1.9
Brightness0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length2.47 mm
CommentxX
Image Width2576
Image Height1932
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image IDM05QSJA04NA
>>
Will my 35mm camera be damaged if I point it at the sun? I'm wanting to use it to take photos of the eclipse.
>>
>>3134798
use solar filers
>>
>>3134782
throw away the coolpix, google the canon
>>
>>3134798
just don't look through it while it's aimed at the sun since the light is just bounced into your eye. it's as good as staring at it.
>>
I recently had my A6000 stolen. I really liked it. Looking at replacing it soon and the FujiFilm XT-10 felt fucking amazing in my hands at BB. However I couldn't shoot with it since it's a floor model with no memory. Is it worth switching while I'm in camera limbo with nothing tying me to Sony (the fucks got everything)?

Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
>>
>>3134931

What about evf, okay to stare into that?

>>3134798
>>3134824
>>3134931

The manual for one of my film cameras warns it can burn out the meter, but I suspect that only happens over an extended period and isn't an issue for digital.
>>
>>3134934

Do you shoot raw or jpeg?

If jpeg, switching is a great idea.

If raw, stick with Sony. Fuji's raw implementation is a fucking mess.
>>
I'm looking for my first camera, and I'm starting to get sick of all the possible options, so I might just ask for some help.

I don't know if I should go with a DSLR or mirrorless. I just want to go with some popular brand with lots of different lenses, because atm I don't know what I might need in the future. I'm planning to shoot stills (not sports/action though), some videos and I'm also looking for something good for photogrammetry.

I'm thinking about these
>750D
>new 200D
>some Sony mirrorless perhaps, I'd like A6300, but it's pretty expensive, so maybe A6000 if it's good

Given that I probably wouldn't carry a DSLR with me at all times, going for a mirrorless would possibly be a much better option, but I'm a bit afraid of those, don't know much about them, so just buying some popular Canon DSLR seems like the safest option.
>>
>>3134934
xt20 is better.
if xt10, might as well go xe2.

eos m5 or m6 is good too.

>>3134948
he might be a macfag, so he can use iridient.
or just use photo ninja or fuji to batch convert.
>>
>>3135047
Thanks.

Also, macfag confirmed
>>
>>3135030
Bumb. I'm currently thinking about going for 200D actually. Is it worth it over 750D?
>>
anyone know some good lightroom tutoriral?
I really need to start editng my photo and I find it pretty hard to understand :<
>>
Does anyone have the /p/ approved list of things to shoot when out of ideas?
>>
>>3135317

Dick pics and nude selfies.
>>
>>3135322
It was a list of 100 ideas for photos to take when bored. I had the picture saved by my hdd corrupted
>>
>>3135209
This is probably controversial, but I watch alot of the "how popular instagramer edits their photos" videos and they tend to go very alot of stuff. One guy desaturated his image almost entirely and then colored it almost exclusively using curves. Looked like shit desu, but a cool idea, even if a waste of time.

Even if you don't care for the particular editing done on the photo (alot of them are sort of whatever), they still show how adjusting different variables give different effects, and you can translate that to your own work however you wish.
>>
>>3122333
Dat post processing
>>
>>3135337
>"how popular instagramer edits their photos
can you link me on something?
>>
>>3135416
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUi0DEHCGBpIAwz0pMyep3w

These guys have a few videos, and there should be more in the suggested videos area.
>>
File: 1326380268041.gif (503KB, 345x247px) Image search: [Google]
1326380268041.gif
503KB, 345x247px
Are there any action cameras that do well in low light settings? I need something waterproof that can do low light.
>>
>>3130018
I'm by no means an expert but I seem to get some decent results doing just that.
>>
File: Fire.jpg (95KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
Fire.jpg
95KB, 1200x801px
When taking pictures of fire, should you expose for the darkest part of the photo or the fire?
Also would anyone know what shuter speed is appropriate for fire in general?
This shot came out under exposed and blurry, wondering how I could impove it besides framing and focus

Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.17
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-20-11-09-23-1.png (331KB, 1440x1830px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-20-11-09-23-1.png
331KB, 1440x1830px
This wording is confusing, does this mean I'm not supposed to put the filter on the front of my lens like a normal UV filter? Where else would I put it?
>>
>>3136061
>Both of these filters fit over the objective (front end of the telescope) or camera lens.

I'm not sure how it could be any more clear. The light is filtered before it enters any of your gear.
>>
>>3135317
http://pseudosticky.wikia.com/wiki/Pseudo_sticky#Learn_to_Pee

it is here.
>>
How are the Exolens Zeiss lenses (telephoto, wide-angle) for the iPhone 7? Are they worth the price over buying a camera outright?
>>
File: high iso.jpg (101KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
high iso.jpg
101KB, 600x400px
>>3122333
I've done street photography for a while with a d7200 and the basic kit lens. That's all I have.

I want to get into landscape photograohy now. What else do I need other than;
lens hood
polarising filter
tripod

any help is appeciated

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX100S
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 (Macintosh)
PhotographerJames Maher
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Image Created2013:12:18 15:09:07
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating6400
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness-3.1 EV
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length23.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: lens-correction-panel.gif (17KB, 296x427px) Image search: [Google]
lens-correction-panel.gif
17KB, 296x427px
>photoshop raw
>lense correction
how good is this tool, the profiles, the distortion correction, the 100% setting.

I dont fully understand why I should use this after choosing my focal length for shooting portraits since i see a difference but cant tell if its better or not.
>>
File: 38_2.jpg (34KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
38_2.jpg
34KB, 600x375px
When a lens says it has a minimal focal distabce of 12 inches, do they mean 12 inches from the front element? Or from the sensor?
>>
What's the easiest way to get rid of haloing after applying an HDR filter? Is HDR even worth it? I mostly hate the over saturated look and I end up desaturating the whole photo afterwards, What I do like is the way it bring out the shapes of the clouds and the color blue in the sky. Without the filters the sky just looks really flat. Is there any way to replicate the HDR effect on the sky only? I'm guessing use the adjustment brush on the sky only and mess around with a specific set of sliders.
>>
Halp.

Looking for a top notch GoPro style action cam, got a recommendation here once, but other than vaguely remembering the brand name sounded Chinese, I completely forgot.
>>
>>3136160
Graduated ND filter for overcast skies. Afaik 2 stop soft is most versatile, and Formatt-Hitech resin filters are good value.

Should be getting one myself really.
>>
I started photography with film about six months ago. I'm really enjoying my results, but it is getting pretty expensive relative to how much money I make, so I am thinking of buying a digital.

I'm torn between the Ricoh GR and Sony a6000. I like the portability and relative simplicity (one prime lens) of the GR, but I also have old minolta glass I could adapt for the Sony. I'm mostly just going to use whatever camera I buy for snapshits/travel photos. Given they are close in price, is one a better choice than the other for me?
>>
>>3137060
Ricoh GR >>>>>>
>>
I'm about to get a 800d and I have some old lenses that are olympus and minolta mounted, I see their are adapters out there but I'm getting conflicting info having to do with image spacing and stuff.
Can someone give me the tldr on whether or not I can use old manual focus lenses on a new EOS mount?
>>
What compression software does /p/ use? I'd prefer shooting in high quality and then compressing later as I see fit. Also I'm a Windows brainlet so if there's anything that doesn't do everything through the terminal like ImageMagick that would be preferable.
>>
Shooting HS football this Friday for the first time and I don't want to bring extra gear. So with that....

1D4 or 5D3? I know I can get better ISO noise control with the 5D3 but the FPS and 1.3x crop from the 1D4 is tempting.
Can I use a 300 f4 IS for anything or will it be too dark for it to be of any use? Otherwise I'll only pack the 70-200 2.8
>>
>>3137225
photoshop, lightroom, or literally any online resizer will do the job.
>>
Why is Pentax K1000 the best camera for learning? Why not some rangefinder?
>>
>>3137248
its not, and you've been lied to. You can learn with anything that has an M mode.
>>
>>3137250
Maybe you just didn't go to an art school
>>
>>3137262
oh tell me then, why is the k1000 radically different from all the other cameras?
>>
I've been looking around town for printing places, and I found this place that seems really high-end and that offers fine prints with actual named papers (unlike the other which just have generically named gloss, semi-gloss, and matte). But one of the requirements for submitting images they have is that images must have an embedded sRGB ICC profile. Now I'm home previewing my images with sRGB gamut, there's a lot of colors that are going to end up looking really dull and ugly. Now I'm thinking this place isn't legit.

Is printing with sRGP gamut a red flag or is this normal for printing places?
>>
Is this a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/112515441605
>>
Why do most older cameras have standard 40-50mm lenses?
>>
>>3127548
>another useless general thread.
I'm a total noob, and this thread isn't useless to me. Stop being such a negative nancy and go film a plastic bag floating in the breeze.
>>
>>3137330
It's the sweet spot, wide enough to be close to your eyes' field of view, but tight enough to capture portraits without standing 2 feet away from your subject
>>
How does a film compact focus so fast? A canon sureshot. Compare to today's cameras
>>
How do you organize your photo directories?
>[Photography] -> [Date] -> [Raws] / [Edits]
or something more like
>[Photography] -> [Portraits] / [Landscapes] / [Nature] -> [Raws] / [Edits]
>>
>>3137811
>[Photos]
>>
>>3137811
photos / raw or finished

and for raw, /digital or film or foveon / year / date & location/most prominent theme
>>
>>3137811
by date by date by date

categorizing it by genre will cause you so much more headaches. Ever wanted to find a photo but then not remember which stupid category you classified it as 3 months ago?
>>
What is a good point and shoot? I have a DSLR and a couple of lenses but nothing really superportable for family gatherings when I just need a quick shot. Something under $350.
>>
why are most rangefinders have 40mm lens?
>>
so many unanswered questions. what the fucks the point of this thread.
>>
I'm going through my landscape photographs and the horizon is almost always in the middle of the picture.

I know about the "rule" of thirds, but is having a horizon divide the image such a bad thing? Sometimes the ground isn't interesting, and sometimes the sky isn't. How do you deal with this?
>>
File: xLQSy07.gif-2.png (123KB, 516x340px) Image search: [Google]
xLQSy07.gif-2.png
123KB, 516x340px
>>3138237
If it looks how you like it, don't let yourself get held back.
>>
guys, which one should i buy, Canon Canonet QL17 or Olympus 35 RC?
>>
I'm a beginner. I just learned how to get a blurred background and sharp foreground. What other cool techniques should I learn?
>>
>>3138723
Buy a $1600 camera lens.
>>
Best way to sell prints of the photos I've taken?
>>
>>3138744
My $200 camera (bought 7 years ago) serves me fine thank you.
>>
should i sell my nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens and 35mm f1.8 prime for a sigma 17-50 f2.8 lens
>>
Best book to learn all the tecnicals aspects of photography from basic to advance, analog to digital?
>>
>>3138841
Only if you don't use your prime and would just rather stick with the zoom.
>>
>>3137060
the sony will give you better images out of the box, but the ricoh will give yo ubetter images if you put time and effort into understanding it
>>
>>3129018
Its kinda trash especially zoomed in, but not much else is available with OSS or even AF on E-mount. I have it, but prefer J11 instead. Another option is A-mount Sigma 70-300, but the adapter costs as much as lens itself.
>>
>>3137060
What is actually expensive in film photography? The film development, the scanning, or what?
>>
Bought a Nexus 5X last week, been taking far better pictures far faster than on my DSLR ever since.

What advantages do DSLRs have over phones other than lens options? Genuinely curious because I can't find any now.
>>
guys, is it true that the Fuji X series has electronic manual focusing? so it's not the optics that does the focusing, but the electronics?
>>
>>3139358

Yes.

It is called focus-by-wire and it sucks a whole dozen bag of dicks.

The worst part is that it has acceleration, faster you twist, farther the focus throws. It also has a bit of lag, and no distance scales either.

I believe Sony has it too on all of their lenses.
>>
>>3139416
non DSLR modern photography is shite
>>
>>3139308
Yes there's lenses which gives better flexibility (sports photography on a phone?), depth of field, battery life, storage, post process workflow, long exposure, flash options, better dynamic range, manual controls that aren't ass. Some have better video.
>>
Looking for a wide angle lens full frame lense for Canon. What's the best bang for buck? Probably buying used, noot looking to spend more than 400€.
>>
Fuji X10 worth $250 canadian bucks?
going to try to haggle him down to $200 cash
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
Any good night vision cameras with a form factor like a point and shoot?
>>
>>3138723
Learn how to take a picture of someone outside where they are properly exposed and the sky is blue
>>
I have a Canon EOS M and I installed Magic Lantern on it. My issue is that I like to us my MF 55mm 1.4 lens. My kit 18-50mm works when I first install or refresh ML. However when I switch lens to my 55mm and then change it back to the 18-50 it will no longer take a photo. It will focus and record video though.

What the hell is the problem? I only really use ML for the forced Exposure simulation and MAYBE focus peaking.
>>
>>3133290
Definitely for /g/, but a shitty /g/ question, too.
Editing photos when you travel is not necessarily a heavy task. You're basically just asking for a laptop recommendation in general.
Thinkpad x220 is a very reliable laptop, you can easily find for around $200. It's lightweight as well, for your travels.
>>
I'm going on a trip and want to buy a camera for under or around $100. I'm just going to be taking the usual travel photos, buildings, trains, landscape, whatever. I know this is a very low price point, but really I'm just trying to take decent pictures because my phone's camera is broken.

I've looked at the Sony W800 for $95 and the Kodak FZ53 for $79. Any other recommendations? Thanks.
>>
>>3140834
Odds are you can find a good older Nikon/Canon starter DSLR with a kit lens for that on Craigslist. If you have any intention of using it after your trip that's probably the better option.
>>
What's the difference between a dslr and a point n shoot that both have 18mp
>>
>>3140859
Unfortunately there is nothing of the sort available in my area, and I'm looking for something I could always have on my in my pocket or bag. I'm going to be a student and walking/on transit a lot and don't have to worry about going back home to get gear and so on. I'll keep your suggestion in mind in the future, though; I never would have thought about getting an old DSLR for cheap. Thanks!
>>
So guys,

I don't even know the right focal length for me. Okay so if i choose 20mm (which is 40mm equiv.), at what range (in meters) should i stand from a 5'7 object if i want to get the whole body in the frame? All i know is that i might shoot close ups of lines and even 35mm (full frame equiv) will still make the lines look curved. It's a complicated thing to explain.
>>
I'm OP from >>3140117

even though I was blessed to be in a place like Japan and take photos. when going back home, it seems hard. I can't get any inspiration from where I live, I'm in an extremely boring town in Illinois (when I was in high school people would go to Walmart to hang out kind of boring) Does anyone have any tips? could there be hidden things I can take photos of? or should I drive out to find some things?
>>
File: n4zs0blekguoo9vmsmju.jpg (982KB, 2026x1141px) Image search: [Google]
n4zs0blekguoo9vmsmju.jpg
982KB, 2026x1141px
Whats the point of using an APS-C sensor if you're going to force EF-M lenses?

Why not just stick with EF-S mount?

>>
>>3140956
bigger flange = bigger body
>>
I'm new to photography and I'm not interested in Video. I was wondering if there are cameras that have no video option and put all of their tech into photos? like a dslr around $1000. or is video so easy to add that they all have it
>>
>>3140956
Look at the Pentax K01 for why that's not actually a good idea.

Basically, the flange-focal distance (i.e., the distance between where the lens attaches to the focal plane) of the EF/EF-S mount is fixed and based on the idea that there will be a big ol' 35mm-sized mirror slapping up between the sensor and the lens. EF-S lets you put the glass a little bit closer to the sensor because the mirror is smaller, but you still have the same depth to the mount. If you made the size of the flange-focal distance any differently, the lens wouldn't be able to focus properly.

So, if you're going to put an EF-S mount on a mirrorless camera, you'll still need to have the space for a big flappy mirror in there, even if your camera body doesn't have or have need for a big flappy mirror in there.

The EF-M standard is designed around a much shorter flange-focal distance, which means the camera bodies can be much, much smaller and the lenses can be much, much smaller, and that's one of the big reasons why people would want to switch to a mirrorless camera system.

The Pentax K01 I referenced above was an attempt by Pentax to make a camera like you're asking for--mirrorless, but with the standard K-mount. It's a big bulky brick, larger than just about any other mirrorless camera system out there. They didn't sell very well.
>>
>>3140963
>or is video so easy to add that they all have it

Video is so easy to add that they all have it.

Or, rather, camera makers pretty much use the same brains/sensors in all of their cameras. Making a special sensor without video capability just for a niche market would make them MORE expensive, not LESS expensive. And if you've already got video capability on the sensor and video capability in the processor chipset and you've already written the video code in the software to run on those chipsets, might as well go ahead and put the software on there so those who want video can use it.

The only example of a camera specifically gimped for video to "concentrate on still photography" that I can think of is the Leica M Typ 262. While it *is* cheaper than similar-vintage Leicas, it's still expensive as hell.

You can, however, buy an old DSLR from the days before video capability was added for well under $1000.
>>
>>3130880
It boosts the ISO temporarily to up the refresh rate while focusing. Then goes back to real time viewing at the iso you're using.
>>
I can buy a mamiya 135 for $15. Is it worth it?
>>
if my lens is sharpest at f7.1

should I just walk around with it at 7.1 and adjust things to compensate for it?

except for when I want bokeh I can open up to 1.8
>>
>>3140964
>>3140958
>>3140956
Seems like these mirrorless bodies are kind of a pain to implement. They're being forced to offer basically 3 different ecosystems of lenses

I wonder if eventually we'll see Canon/Nikon ditch basic crop bodies and only offer mirrorless and full-frame DSLRs
>>
File: X70-focus-slide.jpg (265KB, 1148x763px) Image search: [Google]
X70-focus-slide.jpg
265KB, 1148x763px
>>3139416
every fuji cam has distance scales in the evf or hybrid ovf/evf

just need to enable them in settings

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
Image Width1500
Image Height891
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:08:12 15:06:35
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1148
Image Height763
>>
File: IMG_7465.jpg (1MB, 2446x3134px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7465.jpg
1MB, 2446x3134px
Maybe I should post this in a gear thread but I have an old Polaroid 680 that when it spits out the picture "snaps" down on it ruining the top center of the picture. Anyone know what this problem is? It's like the flap spring is too strong

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6
Camera Software10.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image Created2017:08:29 07:50:53
Exposure Time1/120 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating40
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness6.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width2446
Image Height3134
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 16810653351_edd72f23af_b[2].jpg (210KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
16810653351_edd72f23af_b[2].jpg
210KB, 1024x683px
if I buy a Fuji x100s with its fixed lens (cos theyre quite nice and becoming cheaper)

with its fixed 23mm lens.

am I going to struggle to get close to things?
I imagine it being like walking around with my wide angle lens and not being able to get intimate photographs.

pic related, it doesn't really have any focus on anything.
>>
File: git.jpg (13KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
git.jpg
13KB, 500x373px
I just ordered a canon t6 rebel with two lenses. This is my first dslr, and I'm curious as to what size memory cards I should be using with it. I have a bunch of 16g ones from my older camera. Will those be okay?
>>
File: 1483081229853.jpg (429KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1483081229853.jpg
429KB, 1280x1280px
>>3122333
Something very weird happened yesterday.

I was taking a casual birthday, but at the last moment, they asked for 2 cameras so i could leave one camera recording their nephews' smooth jazz band while i took some family pics the the other one. Later did i realize the camera recording video didn't have much storage space left in it, so i switched the SD card from the camera i was taking pictures with and therefore managed to cover the event no problem.

The issue is that when i returned home to download the movies and videos, only half of what i took appeared in the SD card. To make things weirder, some of the last pictures i took were tagged DSC_0001 and the like, while some of the earliest were tagged DSC_0049 and the like, which leads me to think the camera started having naming issues.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a solution? Because when i took the pics i could clearly see them in-camera while i took them, so i'm sure they were recorded at some point.
>>
>>3141152
did it delet images to make room for video
>>
File: WhatsWrong.jpg (118KB, 1391x340px) Image search: [Google]
WhatsWrong.jpg
118KB, 1391x340px
>>3141161
I don't think so. Pic related shows what's wrong. Can you see the interview and mariachi videos on the top row? Those were actually the last things i recorded, yet they appear first. To make things worse, it only kept like half of the interviews i made. Do you notice how it randomly jumps from DSC_0004 to DSC_0040? It's the first time that ever happens to me in 7 years.

PhotographerGekkou
>>
>>3141091
>am I going to struggle to get close to things?

Yes. As someone who posts on /p/, you are going to find it very difficult to approach or get close to actual humans. This is entirely unrelated to your camera equipment, though.

Seriously, though, it's a 35mm-equivalent field of view. Which, yes, is a wide angle lens, but it's about as close to normal as you can get while still technically being considered wide.
>>
>>3141152
>i switched the SD card from the camera i was taking pictures with and therefore managed to cover the event no problem.

> when i returned home to download the movies and videos, only half of what i took appeared in the SD card

> some of the last pictures i took were tagged DSC_0001 and the like, while some of the earliest were tagged DSC_0049 and the like

File numbering in digital cameras takes its cues from numbers that already exist on the card. E.g., if your camera internally is thinking that DSC_0049 was the last shot it took, and you put in a card with DSC_1234 on it into your camera, it'll make the next photo you take DSC_1235 so there's not a chance of overwriting DSC_1234 by counting up.

So if you're shooting with multiple cameras and swapping the cards around, things can get a bit confusing. That's why it's good to use an app like Lightroom for your organization, since it'll show you the files in date/time order instead of file number order.

As for the missing files, check to make sure the camera didn't jump directories. If the card you put in was at something like DSC_9900, when it got to DSC_9999, it would jump back down to DSC_0001 (which you saw) AND it would switch to a new directory (e.g., the DSC_9999 would be in 101SONY and the DSC_0001 would be in 102SONY when it wrapped around).
>>
>>3141141
> I have a bunch of 16g ones from my older camera. Will those be okay?

16G will be fine to start out with, especially if you have a bunch, and especially especially if you carry a spare or two.

If you find yourself filling your cards up a lot, go buy some bigger cards. I shoot with 64G cards, personally, and I rarely fill those unless I'm shooting a big event that lasts several hours.
>>
>>3141081
>if my lens is sharpest at f7.1
>should I just walk around with it at 7.1

If your main concern with your photography is getting the absolute sharpest images, you may be concentrating on the wrong aspects. Remember, photography is an art. You main concern with your aperture should be whether it gets you the depth of field you want for the image you want to take. Also, whether or not that aperture gives your sensor the amount of light you need to get the shutter speed you want. Going for the absolute maximum sharpness point on your lens' MTF curve should be way down the list of aperture thoughts.

Especially true given that the difference between f/7.1 and f/4 and f/11 are probably not actually going to be noticeable in real world usage, especially if you're not looking at the pixel level.

(Also, note if your sensor's dirty, f/7.1 will show that whereas f/2.8 likely won't)
>>
File: SadGreninja.png (94KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
SadGreninja.png
94KB, 300x300px
>>3141187
I do use Lightroom. I appreciate the tips, though.

I am aware of how the directories work, the problem is that i downloaded the pics and videos to my HD when i got home only to find that most of the material just wasn't in the SD card. No subfolders, nothing. Should i just use Recuva?
>>
>>3141064
>I can buy a mamiya 135 for $15. Is it worth it?

Unless $15 is the difference between being able to eat this week or not, I'd say go for it. Cute little rangefinder, and film photography is fun.
>>
>>3141200
What are you using to download the pictures to your computer? Do you have a card reader, or are you plugging the camera in directly? Are you using special photo software to read the card, or just looking at it in the filesystem and copying the files over?

If you're not using a card reader and not just looking at the files directly in the filesystem, it might be hiding the fact that there's an extra directory in there with the rest of your photos.
>>
I've been using Bridge+Photoshop as my workflow for years, I've never touched lightroom. Am I missing anything? Bridge seems to be perfectly adequate for what I do, i.e. it shows which images have raw edits, which have been tagged, and all the basic EXIF data, as well as sorting by date
>>
File: Capture.jpg (267KB, 1310x848px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
267KB, 1310x848px
>>3141203
>What are you using to download the pictures to your computer?
Card Reader.
>Are you using special photo software to read the card, or just looking at it in the filesystem and copying the files over?
The latter

My Recuva scan just finished and if i'm understanding this right, i think i'm fucked. I don't understand why it overwrote everything. What can i do? What caused this?

PhotographerGekkou
>>
>>3141208
Yeesh, yeah, looks like you might be fucked.

Can you send me a screenshot of the directory structure on the card before you do anything?
>>
File: GoneToShit.jpg (71KB, 1600x836px) Image search: [Google]
GoneToShit.jpg
71KB, 1600x836px
>>3141215
It follows a typical directory. Inside the DCIM folder it creates another folder named after the DSLR model (In this case D7100).

PhotographerGekkou
>>
File: ThePlotThickens.jpg (243KB, 1571x702px) Image search: [Google]
ThePlotThickens.jpg
243KB, 1571x702px
>>3141203
>>3141215
After scanning both SD cards and checking for inconsistencies, i think you might be up to something when you talked about a hidden directory.

Here's a pic of the OTHER SD card where i took the pictures. The only ones that matter are those of the birthday in question, which are the ones to the right of the red line. In that section the naming scheme seems to be OK, but most of the pictures are still missing.

For example, see those four pictures of the elderly couple between the pines in the bottom right? The rest of the family came up to me right after to ask for pics in the exact same spot. I took some nearly 20 more pictures in that place, but they don't appear. Checking the time in which the pictures were taken, it seems like there's a 30 minute period of time where pictures didn't register, which is the time where i took those family shots, along with table shots and detail shots.

Any ideas?

PhotographerGekkou
>>
Stupid question incoming: is it possible to use Instax film in a Polaroid camera or Polaroid back? I'm in the process of buying a Mamiya RZ67 and the set includes a Polaroid back. Might be fun to use it if that's possible
>>
>>3141409
from my cursory googling (which you really should have done yourself) you can try but it's a gigantic pain in the ass unless you have an instax camera to finish "developing" the instax film after you've shot it.
>>
>>3141415
I did google it, but I came across not much of use (mostly ads/webshops), maybe I didn't specify my search criteria well enough. Anyways, thanks for the answer
>>
>>3141415
https://www.google.nl/amp/s/jameslindnerexperimental.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/fuji-instax-film-in-mamiya-rz67/amp/

Oh I also overlooked the exact answer to my question. Luckily it was in the qtddtot
>>
Guys, is Lumix GX85 any good? I'm between GX85 and OM-D E-M10, GX85 looks unassuming, i like that.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (85KB, 552x450px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
85KB, 552x450px
>>3141426
>>
>>3141458
What's the website?
>>
Sooo... I have a Nikon D80 and a Prime 50mm and also a telephoto 70-300mm

I wanna get a wide angle or pancake lense, which one should i get??

Also.. Are there any good & Cheap ND Filters around?
>>
I have a budget of around 700€ and also 2 nikon lenses. What body should i get?

I thought about:
-Nikon D7200
-Nikon D800

I would prefere a nikon body, because i won't need an extra 150€ adapter to mount my lenses
>>
File: FB_IMG_1504088162298.jpg (49KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1504088162298.jpg
49KB, 1080x720px
Why are these stars so huge in some shots and not in others?
I've seen people mention them but no idea if they're seen as a good or bad thing. Personally, I'm not a big fan But I have no Clue how to prevent them.
I know it's from the aperture blades but not really sure what the relationship is.
>>
File: lens-aperture-f-stop.jpg (31KB, 642x405px) Image search: [Google]
lens-aperture-f-stop.jpg
31KB, 642x405px
>>3141567
>>
>>3141555
I have a d90, the 50, the 70-300.
on top of that I have a prime 35 which is cheap and good. think everyone should have that.
I have the tokina 11-16 and the kit lens which is 18-55.

ive found I don't use the 50 except for very close up product shot or portraits.

the 70-300 im not fond of.

35 I can leave on all the time.

id like a 24 but theyre very expensive.

the 11-16 is good for landscapes but that's all.

so I find myself going back to the kit lens, it gets a lot of stick but its such a useful range, and can be sharp.

I may change to the Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 one day.

why do you want a pancake lens?

don't go cheap with filters, it will affect your optics and produce bad reflections.
why spend money on lenses then stick cheap shit on the end?
get a used hoya.

>>3141556
im a noob but google says d800 is full frame, and d7200 is crop, so are your existing lenses fx or dx?

I think the d800 has the anti alasing filter, so some people prefer the d800e.
and I think the early series numbers had autofocus issues. you would have to google that.
>>
How do I edit the exif or at least date for PNGs and movs? I'm using exiftoolgui but it doesn't save for mov/png.
>>
I'm looking for a zoom telephoto lens to accompany the Nikon D7500 body I bought last week. I managed to bring it down to the DX and FX versions of the AF-P 70-300 and am not sure whether to buy the DX or the FX version. Does it make sense to buy the FX version over the DX version?
>>
>>3141567
the more pinpoint the light source, the more they show.

try a way lower ISO and more wide aperture to achieve the same exposure
>>
So... A question about fundamentals I guess.

I'm using aperture priority with auto ISO (because that's what I heard is a good and fast way to do work with). But I don't fully understand how to use it. I put my zebra on 100 brightness and when I see that my highlights are overblown, I can't just increase my aperture, since the camera keeps the brightness of the image constant. It just adjusts the other parameters to maintain it. So how can I control that brightness and get a proper exposure on my images? Because it feels that they are not always exposed correctly, and since I can't reduce it with my aperture dial, I usually do it by adjusting the EV until my zebras go away.

Is there a better way of setting up my camera? I could go full manual, but that doesn't really work when you're on the move and have to readjust for every photo.
>>
>>3142043
Use exposure compensation.
>>
>>3141946
I'm no expert on this. But it's my understanding that a dx lens goes best with a dx body and fx lens with fx body.

Since the 7500 is a dx body. I'd probably lean that way.
>>
>>3142235
That's what I basically said I was doing. Cool, then I guess I'm doing it correctly.
>>
File: 1503530868302.jpg (132KB, 693x704px) Image search: [Google]
1503530868302.jpg
132KB, 693x704px
Hey /p/, I am looking to get into on location flash photography using High Speed Sync. The problem is that I have a canon and canon will only allow high speed sync usage with canon speedlights.
I want to get a 300w/s monolight as my key and a 120w/s light as my fill.
I already have radio triggers that I have been using forever with offbrand speedlights that do not transmit ttl data.
My question is, what can I do to get HSS to work in this configuration?
Will it work out of the box with any trigger and sync cable?
For example https://www.adorama.com/fplfbf120.html this monolight
I am not sure as I have only used speedlights without sync cords before.
Also, what about rear curtain sync
>>
guys, why is the X100F under the 'compact' category?
>>
File: leicamini.jpg (821KB, 999x914px) Image search: [Google]
leicamini.jpg
821KB, 999x914px
Hey /p/

I found this Leica Mini in a thrift shop a few years ago and have had lots of great shots come out of it, but I was thinking of selling it now. Unfortunately they seem really hard to find as most models on ebay are the II or III models not the original Leica Mini. Just wondering how many moosebucks you think this thing is worth in great working condition?
>>
File: snapshit.jpg (880KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
snapshit.jpg
880KB, 1000x663px
>>3142499
here's a photo taken on it with some drugstore-tier film
>>
File: file.png (90KB, 630x495px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
90KB, 630x495px
>>3141555
>d80
my nigga.

I broke the kit (stupid plastic phalanges) and now i just have a 50 and a 28 manual primes.

Are you the guy who told me not to shoot above ISO 800? If so, you were totally right, I try sometimes and it looks like such shit.

>>3142499
i coudln't find any prices either, but according to this review (https://www.35mmc.com/07/04/2015/leica-mini-one-roll-review/, which is the right camera, i think) it usually fetches a price of the mju-ii (which is around $200-300 leaf bucks) but should only be worth about $50.

I'd throw it up on CL for $250 and see if you get any interest. you can always take it down and re-upload at a higher/lower price if you get a lot/no interest
>>
>>3142499
I bought one at my local camera shop a few years ago for $100.
>>
>>3142515
>>3142525
Thanks for the assistance, I listed it for $100 just to see if there's any interest. Got it for $3 anyway
>>
A question:

If i'm looking to restore deleted files, is there any piece of hardware i should look into? Or should i just use Recuva?

I was asking because there are some files i was having trouble recovering with Recuva, but people were telling me other programs can get the job done.
>>
>>3142527
What city? I'm a leaf and kind of want to buy it.
>>
Going to one world observatory soon and says that "professional" cameras are not allowed. I want to bring my A7ii + 70-200 f/4. Will I not be allowed in with this? I don't have any other lenses that would do the job and I really wanna shoot my 70-200 because I just got it.

It says on their website that DSLR's are allowed and they encourage their guests to take many photos. What makes my "professional" lens any different. I'm just a hobbyist.
>>
>>3142767
>sony
>"professional" cameras

lol you're good dude
>>
Lmao, I'm being serious here though. I've already been kicked out of one place because they said the lens was professional even after telling them I'm just a hobbyist.
>>
noob question, google was no help.

I'm shooting with a 50mm lens but the only filter I have is designed for a 52mm lens. I've been shooting for a while like this but I haven't noticed anything off about my photos. Should I get a new lens filter or does it not matter?
>>
>>3142772
>I'm shooting with a 50mm lens but the only filter I have is designed for a 52mm lens.

There are two different things being measured in millimeters here.

1. 50mm, the focal length of your lens.
2. 52mm, the filter diameter of your lens and the filter.

So when your filter says '52mm' on the side, that means that it screws into a lens with a 52mm diameter filter ring on it.

If you were to get a 50mm filter, it would be too small to fit your lens.
>>
>>3142792
Thanks, thank makes a lot of sense
>>
File: PSX_20170901_121808.jpg (2MB, 3957x3456px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20170901_121808.jpg
2MB, 3957x3456px
Am I an idiot?

I've seen a couple of YouTubers talk about how stupid it would be to put a decent lens on a crop sensor.

I love the shots I'm getting with these so I don't really care but is it really seen as a bad idea to put a nice lens on a crop body?
>>
>>3142864
Does not hurt to use ef lenses on cropped sensors. Just that ef-s lenses have sharper resolution in the center of the lens, as that is what cropled sensors focus on.
>>
>>3142769

Just try it?

The G line of lenses is considered professional, and the white coloring doesn't help.

You might be better carrying it in with a different lens on it, then switching it once inside.

That or trying to claim it is 'just a Sony, and not even a DSLR!'
>>
>>3142864
>Am I an idiot?

Yeah, probably.

> is it really seen as a bad idea to put a nice lens on a crop body?

But not for this. Lens has a more significant effect on image quality than the sensor in most cases, so you'll get better pictures with a nice lens on a crop body than with a shitty lens on full frame.
>>
ok so you know how lightroom has the highlights and shadows sliders

ive tried to do the same thing on other programs like resolve and vegas with curves but it doesnt work, it always flattens shit out
the best i could manage was using parallel noses in resolve to isolate shadows and highligjts and bringing those up but it's not the cleanest

what the fuck do those sliders do?
>>
>>3142769

Normies only care about size. Take two small primes, not a huge fucking 70-200
>>
So ed pavez uploaded a vid basically saying you can really fuck up with the chem temps for color dev with very minimal drawback as long as the shots aren't underexposed. What the hell do you /fgt/s have to say about it?
>>
>>3143145
That the temps and times specified in the standard are for the highest of hi-fi, and that even mildly fucked colour negative film can be rescued after scan. So for them fat 6x6s from your 'blad -- you'll do the hi-fi rigamarole and make sure not to fuck up.
>>
we need a new thread this isn't bump anymore.
>>
>>3143254
fine since nobody else is making one.

>>3143451
>>3143451
>>3143451

new bread
>>
>>3143084
Listen here you dumbfuck. I brought the 70-200 because it was the right tool for the job for me. I'm not going to bring my 85 or 55 because those won't get me the high up arial shots that I was going for.
>>
>>3142425
Still could use an answer to this
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.