[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to take before after photos of products I have worked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

I want to take before after photos of products I have worked on (I do metal refinishing), does anyone know how I can take the before and after in almost an identical spot?

Also with backdrops, should I just go with white like most of the tutorials say, and add a backdrop in post? White background in every picture will look pretty boring as I am not advertising products, its a service, I need to make it look interesting.
>>
I plan on displaying the before after photos like this, so it's important they line up really well, or it will look quite sloppy.

https://codyhouse.co/demo/image-comparison-slider/index.html
>>
>>3121627
if you work with metal, a dark background and some white lightning can look very impressive. just build yourself some small product shooting corner and set up a permanent tripod. alternatively you can place some tape marking on the ground to reproduce your setup.
>>
>>3121627
Make one of these x on spot where u want to place item
>>
File: 5512646905_dac26ac386.jpg (59KB, 500x260px) Image search: [Google]
5512646905_dac26ac386.jpg
59KB, 500x260px
>>3121637
>>
Thanks, black background was something I hadn't considered, looks really nice on stuff like watches.
>>
Depending on the size of stuff you work on, besides marking the spot where the object was at, you could also use other things like small panels or so that barely touch the rear, left and/or right sides of the object after you've taken the 'before' pic

You leave those in place, work on th object, and then when you place it back, you also have ~delimiters/margins for the object's orientation

Dunno if this makes any sense, my wording is kinda shit, but imagine how supports clamp on a rocket before launch, I'm thinking of something similar
>>
>>3121657

I think I get the idea, so then you sort of "slot" the after shot back into place.
>>
>>3121660
Yes! Pretty much
That's only needed if you have weirdly shaped objects in strange positions I guess, x marks the spot should be enough in most situations
And after all, trial and error, just compare it with the 'before' pic
>>
>>3121627
How do I clean my wheels?
>>
You could also use dark wood placed under your workpieces. Generally look for stuff fitting with the colors of your metal. Industrial design would probably be good to look up, like that rough concrete style you find in hip homes. I assume you have the skillset to build almost anything you want, so maybe build swappable bases to keep things different and fitting with the pieces.
>>
How come no one has asked OP to post some of the stuff he's refinished? This site, on the average, loves chrome and shiny.
>>
>>3121627
II would suggest looking into actual shooting space and lighting, and not just a light tent. Too many people end up using a light tent as a crutch, and cannot figure out how to work around its issues. They think it should do the work for them.

I agree with >>3121633
>build yourself some small product shooting corner and set up a permanent tripod.
Have a designated area.

I would suggest having it versatile enough, though, that you can adjust your lights as needed. Yes: Keep them the same for each project, but each projct may have differing needs.

As for backdrops, I very much like the suggestion to use wood
>>3121838
But having the options to use white, black, or maybe gray (OK, it's refinished metal; maybe not gray, but something mid-toned in case you have something which needs it to stand out better) would be a good start.

Having something like a curved piece of poster board can go a long way, and it's cheap to replace if needed. But something more permanent and painted can also work very well.

Also listen to all the posts mentioning marking the position of the piece. A pencil can trace the outline of the base, and an arrow can mark direction. I would suggest marking direction inside the outline of the edge, so there is even less chance that it will show up in photographs.

But also don't be afraid to experiment, and use different locations that better fit the piece. Maybe in stead of plain white, if you'e shooting from above, try using something like an engineering diagram for more interest. It gives some sort of context, and while the subject remains the purpose and focus of the shoot, it will not become boring so quickly. Trust me: it can keep potential clients looking at your photos.
>>
File: IMG_3560.jpg (1MB, 3258x1285px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3560.jpg
1MB, 3258x1285px
>>3121860

I really don't have much that's impressive photo-wise, which is a shame, I should have started taking photography a lot more seriously a while ago.

I normally do Car/Motorbike stuff like pic related but will be branching out into jewelry, antiques and artwork very soon, I need to be getting good shots of these items.

>>3121838
>>3121867

Space is quite a large issue, but I can try and fabricate stuff that folds away if need be. I like the idea of having 2 or 3 backdrops especially as I am looking to branch into restoring different items (and materials). Maybe a black backdrop for small gold, bronze and silver items and a dark wood for larger Aluminum/iron auto parts for a more industrial look.

Thanks for the replies

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot S5 IS
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2017:01:28 00:24:43
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.7
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Auto, Red-Eye Reduce
Focal Length6.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3121627
Make sure I can see your nude reflection in the after shot
>>
>>3121885
Yeah, you definitely gotta improve on them photo skills. Also consider a polarizing filter; it can adjust the hard reflections to a degree that may look better on surfaces that're not to a mirror polish anyway.
>>
>>3121885
What trash is that? A Suzuki car engine?
>>
>>3121885
>Space is quite a large issue
A couple sheets, or two hinged painted panels (each set will be one black, one white), a couple clamp-on work lights, and a tripod. These can be easily stashed, and brought out when needed. If they are stowed away between shots of the same item (for before and after shots) it will be more difficult to have a slider-type image like you posted. But it is still doable.
>>
>>3121891

Can't remember, but normally only Porsche's or Subaru's have that Flat-six engine configuration.

I would guess its a Boxster.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.