[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Photog Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: TS-Photo-Books.jpg (90KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
TS-Photo-Books.jpg
90KB, 960x540px
What are the books and magazines you use most for ...

reference?

learning about photography in general?

Inspiration?

For keeping up with trends and tutorials?

I'd rather not be inundated with social media all the time, too busy trying to wait through YouTube videos to see what's going on.
>>
>>3121349
Alex Soth comes to mind. I pretty much strictly read photo books, and don't read much about theory and such. I'm mainly into doc and street, but I can name the people whose books inspire me:

Niagara by Alec Soth
Ou Menya by Bieke Depoorter (favorite book in the last few years)
Grim Street by Mark Cohen
Street Cops by Jill Freedman
Naked City by Weegee
Vivian Maier: A Photographer Found
Anything by Martin Parr
>>
>>3121399
I appreciate the response!

I'm not much into street photography, though I can definitely appreciate the art.

I think /p/ needs a proper sticky with media recommendations for different genres.
>>
>>3121410
No Problem! Hope it helps. I think you'd like Alec Soth and Depoorter if you don't like street. They are more documentary and portrait focused. Alec Soth is a goddamn portrait and landscape god imo
>>
>>3121411
I spend far too much time staring at a computer monitor, watching YouTube. I definitely enjoy getting to know the thought process behind other people's creation process.
>>
>>3121426
I try to distance myself from the computer as much as possible, but lately I've been very bad at it. Printing your work helps you get away from that pesky screen and desk chair. Put your prints up on your wall and makes your editing notes
>>
>>3121443
Where do you go to get your prints?
>>
>>3121349
For inspiration, I recently read this book called The Blind Photographer (it was a compilation of stories and photos of blind photographers). It gave me a new perspective on photography and really solidified my distaste for the constant obsession over gear and brands and what have you. You don't need the best lens or best camera to take great photos, hell you don't even need sight.
>>
>>3121461
Costco is a godsend. I can get 11x14 for $3.99

and if you don't like it they will let you re edit it, then bring the print back and re print it for the new edit you've done.

But if I'm going to actually frame something or sell a print I go to the camera store my friends work at here in town.
>>
>>3121467
Sounds like good value. I'll check it out.
Have you ever printed on canvas from there?
That's what I'm most interested in.
>>
I am currently reading on Photography, pretty good read so far.

I read the Negative in the past but that was mostly technical jerking.

Mostly, I just look at photobooks and try to find inspiration through them
>>
>>3121542
No i always just use the fuji crystal paper in matte. I really don't like other printing formats very much desu.

>>3121543
What books are you into? I've been trying to find some more.
>>
>>3121349

Read the art of suffering and the photgraphers eye by HCB
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.