[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Filmmaking Insipro thread , /vid/ side board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Filmmaking-Intro-With-Title.jpg (88KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Filmmaking-Intro-With-Title.jpg
88KB, 1600x900px
I thought that I would make a slightly different /vid/ post, one in which we can post and talk about some of our favorite /vid/ related tid bits or filming techniques from our favorite films / directors / or shorts.

One of my favorite bits of /vid/ related information comes from 28 Days Later which was filmed partially on a Cannon XL1, a consumer grade camera. This choice was made due to time constraints and coverage when shooting the streets of London early on as they only had about 20-30min windows to actually shoot.

This choice also allowed, or so I have heard, for more control over the shutter speed allowing for them to film the infected in a way that made them come off as much more jittery, this was also used filming the main character in the end to subconsciously link the infected with the savageness and rage in men.
>>
>>3120164
Forgot to mention how I love the result of the Cannon XL1, objectively not a great camera but it was used in a great way. Just goes to show its all about who's hands it is in not just how good the gear is.
>>
>>3120164
28 Days Later is pretty good evidence of how film is usually better than digital. Every time they update movies filmed on 35mm to Blu-ray they come out looking great, but 28 only comes out looking worse and worse
>>
>>3120182
Really? I've never heard that before, ill look into it. Got any favorite filming facts about some movies yourself?
>>
I'll give you all some advice.

The camera does not matter for anything other than making sure it doesn't oveheat. You don't need 4k or Log profiles, you don't need IBIS or slow motion.

If it shoots 1080p and can adapt lenses it's good enough to shoot something on because blocking, framing, editing, writing, lighting and acting are all much more important than the camera or difference in image quality between a $300 camera and a $3,000 camera.

The only other legitimate concern is if you need it to have an audio jack for synch sound. Just letting you all know the truth. You don't need a new camera, you need to shoot your short on whatever shit you have available and get better at making movies.

Here's some inspiration though.
https://youtu.be/Wz408Dljdj4
>>
>>3120513
I think most of us already know this. But I like that short.
>>
>>3120513
some dude I'm sadly helping out told me the other day:

>"Yeah I shot everything in 4k with my samsung so it should be good"

Instant suicidal thoughts. I'll post a screencap of the framerates that garbage came up with.
>>
>>3120746
wait. Like a phone? A Samsung phone? The don't make cameras where you can set it to at least 30/25 fps at 4k right? What did he film?
>>
One of my favorite scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u4S8XCiWZk

This random Japanese guy i found who is very good, did it all with a G3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyq8_o6LuwU
>>
File: fucked_frames.jpg (91KB, 499x808px) Image search: [Google]
fucked_frames.jpg
91KB, 499x808px
>>3120753
Look at this mess

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
PhotographerLuis Peña
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>3120182
That's because it was shot on a really shit camera. It was equivalent to a DVX,
>>
>>3120513
>blocking, framing, editing, writing, lighting and acting
How do I get better at all of that though
I can't even remember what some of that stuff is, like mise en scene
And when I'm watching movies I don't really understand the purpose of why a scene gets lighted, blocked, or framed a certain way
I feel like a retarded wannabe
>>
Hey guys, tell me what you think about my short film shot on the Black Magic Pocket.

https://youtu.be/F8dy-Yfh2Os
>>
>>3121531
watched 30 seconds, obvious ISIS propaganda, reported to the FBI, enjoy Guantanamo
>>
File: sjNznzN.jpg (34KB, 780x390px) Image search: [Google]
sjNznzN.jpg
34KB, 780x390px
>>3121122
Variable frame rate, which cellphones are known to output. It's basically the phone encoding the video frame semiconstant, instead of 100% constantly at a fixed rate like more dedicated equipment. .
>>
>>3121531
Better than some of the shit that comes with a Amazon Prime Membership.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B073X6LZN9/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_obwan_2_13?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3099802002&pf_rd_r=BSJZ19NY4R2JZZ9TM8KB&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=12401
>>
>>3121537
Dam you got me
>>
>>3121531
I think you should spend a lot more time refining your cuts in this. The pacing is very off, and there's times when the actors do strange things like look at the camera that should def be cut sooner.
>>
>>3121541
hence why getting a proper film app for your phone is essential but who am I to tell people what to do with their shit
>>
>>3121502
Basically, you need to watch entirely too many movies. Usually, older ones are better for learning since most modern filmmakers don't even seem to know how to block anymore. Blocking is planning the movement of the actors within the frame. Here, take this scene from Godard's Week End as an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBfQHy3fg0

Notice how the camera is essentially static and it does not cut to close ups. The movement of the actors around the location is blocking. Most older movies do this, largely to save time actually but you can do interesting things with it.

>I can't even remember what some of that stuff is, like mise en scene
Mise en Scene is just a fancy word for production design which essentially just means the set. It is important because it sets the world that the actors inhabit. For instance, one of the problems I have with many movies and tv are how clean everything on the sets or with the characters.

Take this scene from Jurassic World. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdnihhJJwc
Notice the spotless, prominently placed Mercedes, notice that Bryce Dallas Howard has absolutely perfect hair. Then look at the Chris Pratt character, they want us to believe he's this laid back badass, but look at his home and what it says about him. Sure, it has tools and shit laying around but only on that one table. The rest is all lined up and orderly, none of it is even weathered and the grass around his house is freshly cut. Are we supposed to believe that the guy that wears board shorts on a first date also cuts an acre of grass regularly when he lives adjacent to a jungle?

Now compare that mise en scene with this one from Jurassic Park https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZ3JrJ9dng
There's shit everywhere. The Hammond is clean, sure, but the Grant and Sadler are literally covered in dirt, there's even a joke about it. I just subconsciously believe that Grant and Sadler are who they say they are before they even utter a word.
>>
>>3121502
If this is a real question, most of the time the answer is just personal taste or what works for getting the scene.
>>
>>3121531
find a more interesting way to show them stealing stuff, nobody wants to watch them root around in a cabinet with bad audio.

Big tonal shift with the weird assassin stuff, felt like multiple films mashed together. Th guy running away after getting shot was cringe worthy, especially when he "threw" himself over the couch in a way that was obvious he was trying to be respectful to the home owner, don't do it if you can't do it right.

The assassin entering the house was the best part.
>>
how do yall like this piece of shit we made in a day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_97Z4mslk
>>
>>3121758
I get your point about Chris Pratt and the Mercedes, but what's wrong with her hair? She's a professional.

>>3121857
>most of the time the answer is just personal taste or what works for getting the scene.
how can I develop personal taste or know what works if I don't know what the choices are or why it works?
>>
>>3121939
Nice Ramones if you are the actor
>>
>>3122011
ty for noticing :)
>>
>>3122006
Hmm... Maybe watch some of directors very first films to see why they got noticed despite being armature. A lot of it is about feeling, all a shot has to do to work is capture the message of the scene to advance the plot, the rest of it is up to you, there is no arbitrary set of rules to follow.
>>
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.