[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STACKING IMAGES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

Astrophotography / I tried a few different stacking programs with stacks of a dozen images. The stacked results are almost identical to the individual shots. Do you need to take a LOT of images to tease out nebulous details? I'm just not seeing any major differences and figured I'm not taking enough frames to make it work. I can make out the objects but the stacking doesn't seem to make a difference.

Would a single exposure with tracking offer better results?

(not my pic - but pic related)
>>
>>3119593
Stacking is about noise control, not exposure. If you don't catch it in every frame it won't show up in the stacked image.
You have to do the proper exposure first for every frame and then stack them and then do the stretching in post.
>>
File: Dumbbell02.jpg (773KB, 2109x1299px) Image search: [Google]
Dumbbell02.jpg
773KB, 2109x1299px
>>3119593
Mine from this morning :) Dumbbell Nebula.
Frames: 20x60 Seconds Light Frames, 35 Bias Frames, 20 Dark Frames.
Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, Processed in PixInsight 1.8 and Photoshop CS6

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2109
Image Height1299
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution100 dpi
Vertical Resolution100 dpi
Image Created2017:07:24 04:58:42
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2109
Image Height1299
>>
>>3120241
I'm still learning but what about RegiStax?

I tried some milky way shots with DSS and 50 frames but they turned out like shit (untracked)
>>
File: IMG_2432.1.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2432.1.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
>>3120293
Forgot pic
>>
>>3120294
Is this how my skies would look if I didn't live in such a light polluted shithole?

Or would it be a much less dazzling sight in person
>>
>>3120532
Yeah it doesn't look like that in person, but once your eyes are fully adapted to the dark, you can see your shadow. The pic isn't perfect as there was a bit of light pollution/airglow, but the first thing I noticed is that the stars don't "twinkle" because of moisture or lack of. Also we could easily see the ISS.
>>
File: M13_watermark.jpg (540KB, 1525x941px) Image search: [Google]
M13_watermark.jpg
540KB, 1525x941px
>>3120294
That's a really good image of the MilkyWay I'd be happy to settle for something like that where I live I tried to do a shot of the Milkyway problem is I can't collect enough of a Exposure to get anything like that. I'd need to mount my DSLR on the top of my OTA to be able to get at least a 60 sec exposure.
Was that a single shot or what was your settings ?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width1525
Image Height941
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution100 dpi
Vertical Resolution100 dpi
Image Created2017:07:25 01:54:16
Image Width1525
Image Height941
>>
>>3120832
iso 6400
F 2
15 seconds
24mm

single shot
>>
>>3120532
I can remember driving in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma and sleeping for a few hours on the side of a rural road. The skies were so intense there. I live in rural Missouri and so have a better view of the Milky Way than most but something about that time in Oklahoma stuck out. Maybe it's the lower humility there.
>>
>>3120930
Eh fuck yeah see that's what I thought people are using a camera lens to do the picture I got a kit lens and it sucks either that or I'm using it wrong I have a Canon 450D and a EFS 18-55mm kit lens.
I don't know how to use a DSLR for good pictures max ISO is 1600 for the Canon 450d not sure if I should have it at 55 or 18mm when taking the picture.
I'm pretty sure I've tried both maybe not that I astro-modded my DSLR maybe it might work maybe not doubt it.
>>
File: badlandsmw2222.jpg (323KB, 1000x653px) Image search: [Google]
badlandsmw2222.jpg
323KB, 1000x653px
>>3121323
Have it at 18mm, do an exposure of about 25 sec with iso 1600, the wider the lens, the longer the exposure you can get away with without star trails, here's a pic I got a month ago in the badlands

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern858
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)25 mm
Image Width4928
Image Height3264
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution243 dpi
Vertical Resolution243 dpi
Image Created2017:07:10 21:46:37
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length17.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width4930
Image Height3223
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
I need help, I just bought a nikon d7100 for 400$ CAN cause it was a good deal. But now I Have a d5100 and a d7100. I can only keep one but which one would be better at shooting the milky way? Ik my d5100 is good, and ik the 7100 is newer but I read that a different company makes that sensor and 24mp isn't always good when it comes to low light. Thoughts?
>>
>>3121451
Keep the D7100 it's far better in the long run
>>
File: IMG_5411@1080 Portrait.jpg (2MB, 1272x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5411@1080 Portrait.jpg
2MB, 1272x1920px
You don't need a tracker per-se, but definitely a good idea. Attached is 10x stacked and processed 15sec frames with a Canon 6D and EF 50mm f/1.8. Fairly heavily processed in PS, but would still get better results with tracking & longer expos.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Image Width2717
Image Height1800
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:07:08 00:06:28
Exposure Time10 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating5000
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width1272
Image Height1920
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3121480
Make that 10sec frames actually.
>>
>>3121480
>15s

Trails are visible in your photo. I think you can do 10s at most with a 50mm.
>>
>>3121482
Is actually coma, but yes, 10 sec was used as above. The 50mm 1.8 is definitely not a great choice for astro, works okay within the limits though.
>>
>>3121323
At 18mm with a cropped sensor, the max time you should go is about 20 seconds before you get star trailing. The problem with the kit lens is the minimum F stop is about 3.5, so in this instance, you would need an ISO setting of 3200. The other option is to get a star tracker so you can go with a longer time, but they are about $400.

I used a Rokinon 24mm F1.4 on a Canon 6d, but found out that if I go to F2 the shots were sharper. Also I purposely over exposed by cranking up the ISO to get better detail and then lowering exposure in Light room.

Astro modding is an option, but not with your camera, and then you are limited to just astro pics with it.
>>
For some reason after I astro-modded my Canon 450d I can't get the auto-focus to work unless im using the auto focus wrong I thought you lightly hold the shutter button to get the lens to auto focus I have the lens set to Auto Focus but when I lightly touch the shutter button it doesn't do anything if I push the button all the down then it snaps a picture.
>>
>>3123784
is there a switch on your lens that says af/mf? make sure its set to af if so
>>
>>3123784
You don't need AF for astro-photography.

Welcome to the world of manual focus.
>>
>>3123821
Yes, and it's set to AF but as I said when I lightly press the shutter button it doesn't do anything.
>>3124005
I can't figure out how to manual focus I roll the lens all the way left and then all the way right however at 18mm it's out of focus but some where in the middle I can get focus but can't get focus at 18mm for some reason.
>>
>>3124076
As I understand your post, even in bright light you can't manually focus at infinity with the lens set to manual?
>>
>>3121480
I was going to sell my Sigma 50mm 1.4 art but maybe I'll try this with my 6D. Cool pic but how do you get the website to display "[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]" Pics taken with my 6D don't show that.
>>
>>3124412
I have autism bad I just found out that I've been using the zoom not the focus ring I never their were two rings on the lens one is for focus the other is the Zoom lmao!
>>
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/color.of.the.night.sky/

Posting this here because it is relevant. Just found this guys webpage and holy shit the immense amount of information just blows my mind. If it was in a book form I would buy it right away.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.