[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gear/ - Gear thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 408
Thread images: 70

File: output_ElncjP.gif (4MB, 739x487px) Image search: [Google]
output_ElncjP.gif
4MB, 739x487px
Last Thread: >>3114305

Anything about lenses, cameras, mounts, systems, buying, pricing, selling, etc. GOES IN HERE!

Do not open new threads for gear-related issues.
No pointless (brand) arguments and dick waving allowed! You have been warned! Just questions, answers, and advice.

And don't forget, be polite.
>>
Do you guys think pentax 35mm macro limited is good choice comparing it to 35mm f24, especially since I'm not planning on using the macro feature.
>>
should i buy a kit lens or fork over an extra $100 for f/2.8
>>
>>3118383
Trying to decide between D3300 and A5000 for my first decent camera. Give me advantages of each one and what each camera is more appropriate for.
>>
>>3118391
the 35/2.8 is well-built and optically good, but it's way overpriced for what it is. The 35/2.4 is cheap and built accordingly, and is optically... okay. It's actually the optics of an FA 35/2.0 with an aperture limiter, since the FA is kinda weak wide open. You might look for a used one of those.
>>
Anyone else nab the GX85 with 12-32mm for $298 on amazon this morning?

Best deal in a while. So excited to replace my old ass pentax k10d
>>
>>3118383
I want the Fuji 35mm f2. It's just the perfect lens.
>>
>>3118398
Extra $100 isn't really all that much for two stops of light
>>
>>3118398
fuck the kit lens, go for f2.8
>>
Are there any good budget lenses for Sony fe or should I just save and buy the Zeiss and gmaster lenses as I am able to
>>
I was recently reading RX100 V review and what strucked me at that time was that reviews of different cameras (P&S, DSLR) appear to point the burst rate as a very important feature.

Am I missing something deeper besides buffer size that comes with burst rate, or is it just an attempt to move models apart so one will look better? I understand that this is crucial feature for sport and wildlife photography, but for an average user?
>>
Hello gear people,
i just want a simple nikon f mount to sony e mount adapter, no aperture or electronic connection required. i thought there was a straightforward choice but i cant find any good information. all adapters i find are either chinese with hugely varying quality i dont dare to order or some ridiculously overprized >100€ adapters with decent ratings. pls spoonfeed me secret tips so i can shoot more pics
>>
Do people with Leicas genuinely just use zone focus and not touch the lens whilst shooting? I gues I need to get better at judging distances.
>>
I have a seven year old laptop, and I have no idea how good the monitor is for photography. I was thinking of getting a new one, but are there any good Windows ones recommended for photo editing?

Pretty much all my laptop is these days is a music, internet and photography machine. I have heard that Apple displays are good, but I don't want that. Any recommendations or are they generally pretty similar?
>>
sigma 24-105 or nikon 24-120 for a d750?
>>
File: 1.png (411KB, 769x1982px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
411KB, 769x1982px
If I was Canon/Nikon and was on the lookout for a new mount, I would make the new mount for curved sensor, this is the way to progress ahead.

Sony just revealed a bunch of Curved sensor lens designs.
The amazing part about this is all the lenses have 4-6 glass elements at most.

These lens designs are all super simplistic. They are easy to manufacture with high precision.
From what we have seen, wide angle DSLR lenses become so much better, and yet so much lighter when they are made as wide angle mirrorless lens.
But this step is an even larger difference than from DSLR->mirrorless, these lenses are far more simple, they will be even lighter than the current mirrorless lenses, and corner sharpness will be greater than ever.
>>
File: pentax.jpg (77KB, 754x500px) Image search: [Google]
pentax.jpg
77KB, 754x500px
Is there a compact 1° spot meter that could fit in my pocket?
>>
>>3118486
Doesn't every camera have this built in?

On my camera I configured my AEL button to toggle the center spot.
>>
>>3118487
It's for film photography. Old film cameras usually either have no meter at all or a central weighed meter.
>>
>>3118477
I would love to see that, but they'll probably be far behind Sony.
>>
>>3118498
Sony should probably just try and make curved sensors fit into E-mount. And use that mount for multiple censor lineups and multiple lens lineups.

I don't think people would mind their current traditional lenses on curved sensors and get a bit of soft corners here and there.

It's mostly Canon and Nikon who can start on a fresh, while Sony sort of needs to stick to current mount.
>>
>>3118398
>$100
Spend $1000 if it gets you noticeably better glass. You'll be using it for a few years anyhow if it is actually good.

>>3118405
Both are appropriate to annoy you. Get a A6000 or D7200 or better so you have a few features, better AF and not always a full buffer. You're still not going overboard, its only just somewhere in the (low-ish) midrange.
>>
>>3118511
I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I don't think I'd be able to go that far. I'm considering A6000, but it'll be quite tough and probably mean that I won't have money for anything but the camera. D7200 is certainly out of my range.
I'm also considering D3400 since it's a pretty cheap upgrade from D3300.
Is A6600 worth the sacrifice?
>>
>>3118477
>that sensor size change
can't tell if the lenses are gigantic or the sensors are small.
>>
>>3118513
a6000*
didn't even proofread the post
>>
>>3118447
Monitors aren't OS specific.

Apart from that, while they have different technical features there isn't really any need to get anything particularly good EXCEPT if you need to be able to exactly have your monitor represent what will be printed on your printer or such.
There are monitors, printers and calibration tools that can achieve that, but it's generally not worth it for most people 'cause it costs a bunch.

For most normal home users: Even if your monitor is a bit too blue-ish and too bright vs print, you'll just learn to correct a bit the other way when you edit & print - problem essentially solved.
>>
>>3118515
It's Medium Format.

The 84mm is super compact though.
>>
>>3118518
if the sensor on the first one is MF then that lens is gigantic.
>>
>>3118519
Yeah, 679mm,

Giant, but super simple construction. It's literally just two lens groups.
>>
>>3118513
> Is A6600 worth the sacrifice?
Probably. At least the body will be much less annoying.

The imaging capabilities of a camera is still defined by both the body AND the lens. (And in various situations also accessories like flash units and tripods and stuff).

>probably mean that I won't have money for anything but the camera
Well, as long as money comes in next month or whenever, you might just buy lenses and accessories then? You'll presumably be okay with the kit lens and no extra accessories until then.
>>
>>3118439
Yea, buy a decent looking Chinese one? If it turns out to not be good enough after all, get another... but probably it is. China makes a lot of decent and good stuff.
>>
>>3118521
I don't think I will have much money to spend on it past that. I could slowly save up for lens and such, but like I said, my budget is quite tight. It'd take me far more than just a month to throw in money on whatever else I need unless it's just an extra battery.
>>
>>3118422
Sure, Samyang and others have very decent lenses. And a bunch of the non-GM Sony lenses also are quite good.

But for your most used lenses (if there are any such): Perhaps really just get the best you can afford, yes.
>>
>>3118524
Do keep looking for deals, might save you some good money. Also, sticking with the kit lens isn't something bad, it'll do the job just fine
>>
>>3118529
I'm not worried about lens kits, as I've shot some good photos with them.
Even with good deals, it might be quite expensive. I'll keep searching, hopefully I'll find some good deals. What's a good deal price for an A6000? I've barely seen any deals for it below $480.
>>
>>3118524
That makes it a lot less easy then. For some people getting even a cheap macro lens on top of the kit lens would be more useful than a better body. And for some it's going to be the opposite.

OTOH it's actually hard to imagine you can't at least start to get Chinese or used / vintage accessories / lenses with not too much saving up. So really, I'd still tend towards the A6000.
>>
>>3118533
Perhaps, but not as quickly as you think. My learning pace will probably compensate for that. I assumed that I'd get few essentials with my camera right away, but I guess I'll just have to pass for a little bit.
Still praying on some good deals though, as even the camera w/ lenskit alone is out of my total budget.
>>
>>3118477

Curved sensor is useless for ICL because the curve of the sensor is different for every focal length.
>>
>>3118603
You're replying to a patent that shows 5 different lenses pointing towards the save curved sensor.
>>
>save
*same
>>
File: SLR lens curved.gif (22KB, 550x471px) Image search: [Google]
SLR lens curved.gif
22KB, 550x471px
I think Canon is slowly regretting not investing into more advanced semiconductor fabs.

They lost out on the smartphone craze. They are going to lose out on self driving cars and trucks with 10-20 sensors per vehicle.
And now they will be behind in curved sensors.

Even Nikon is dabbling into curved sensors now. Although their lens seems to be a lot more clumsy than the Sony design.
>>
>>3118422
There are very few truly 'bad' Sony e-mount lenses. Even the 50mm FE 1.8 is not bad after the v3 firmware update, and its IQ has always been great.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (185KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
185KB, 1200x900px
What lens is this?
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (207KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
207KB, 1200x900px
>>3118672
>>
File: DSC00336.jpg (130KB, 600x899px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00336.jpg
130KB, 600x899px
Pic related just arrived. I'm super impressed with the shots I've gotten just in the first few minutes.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.10.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:07:21 20:27:28
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness1.0 EV
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length16.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3118673
This one maybe?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMRON-28-300mm-Macro-lens-for-Canon-EOS-7D-SL1-80D-T6i-T5i-70D-5D-II-III-6D-etc-/352103603777?hash=item51fb029e41:g:GFwAAOSw5cRZLvo8
>>
>>3118674
post one
>>
with Sigma releasing their new 24-70 ART and Tamron releasing their 24-70 G2; who do you guys think will make the better lens?
>>
>>3118677
I figured it out. It's the Tamron 185D, which is a 28-300mm full-frame lens from several years ago.

I sold my Mark II a while back so I was lucky to get another with this lens, battery, and charger for $225 on ebay.
>>
File: selp18105g_test.jpg (74KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
selp18105g_test.jpg
74KB, 1000x667px
>>3118678
>>
>>3118699

dubs checked

and a remarkably cute Chi
>>
>>3118701
she's actually really ugly irl. that's how good the lens is.
>>
>>3118691
Tamron's v1 is already better than the sigma art. I just assume they're updating the vc so it lasts longer than 6 months.
>>
File: smiling-owl-e1352312824780.jpg (62KB, 630x463px) Image search: [Google]
smiling-owl-e1352312824780.jpg
62KB, 630x463px
>>3118704
>>
Camera is 58mm, just got a lens that's 55mm. Do I get a step up or step down ring? Am confuse.
>>
File: lens.jpg (66KB, 1131x475px) Image search: [Google]
lens.jpg
66KB, 1131x475px
should I buy this?

PhotographerMe
>>
>>3118752

u fucking wot m8

You mean a lens you have has a 58mm filter thread and you got a 55mm filter?
>>
>>3118782

depends, what camera do you have?
>>
>>3118790
d3300. I only have a 35mm lens
>>
>>3118789
no like the thread of the camera to the thread of the lens. Camera takes 58mm thread, lens is 55mm.
>>
>>3118782

I mean, it would make a decent enough vacation/walk around lenses.

But I would suspect that for only a little more you could find something better.
>>
>>3118801
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, since I like the idea of low light pics. I guess I'll just wait a bit
>>
>>3118383
I just grabbed an old lens of my grandparents. All in all it was pretty good at first besides the rubber on it getting gooey. However now I cant zoom as the fabric lining on the outer case has gummed up and got stuck. How best can I clean it? Hard bit is getting up into the bits where it is stuck already
>>
>>3118782
It's a decent lens, a little better than average kit. It's worth $72.
>>
>>3118791
Buy it. It's cheap, it's good, and it will help guide you to make further lens purchases down the line if you're inclined.
>>
>>3118489
C E L L P H O N E A P P
>>
I'm trying to buy a body + lens that would last me for like 5 years minimum (more lenses probably will come later). I didn't invest in any system yet. It has to have enough power to get me through

- traveling, small and big (closest trip: Iceland!)
- events (available light)
- concerts
- walkarounds
- astro
- macro at some point
- maybe occasional portraits, but I'm not a fan

So far best I could theoretically afford is:

X-T2 + 23/2

D750 + 35/1.8

If D610 or X-T20 with the same lenses would be enough, even better. Any advice that could help me to decide what I really need, not what I want? I'm also opened for other suggestions. (I was in the shop, they had X-T20 and D610 and DSLR ergo felt much more comfortable)

Have a nice weekend!
>>
>>3118856
Maybe the A7S (II?) or A7 II, or even the A6x00.

Various small and big setups possible. System has really great macro and portrait lenses. Only Astro isn't utterly ideal, but it's still okay for artistic shots.

Alternatively, how about getting the Pentax K-1 or such?
>>
>>3118857
The most I'd want from Sony would be 6500, but from APS-C I prefer Fuji. a7II felt mushy, plus lenses, with few exceptions, are very expensive. There is adapting, but I'd like to stick the given system.

K-1 would probably be the best, but it's a bit too expensive in Poland (around 9300 PLN, which gives ~2500 USD for body only). There are shops that sell it internationally but I'm not so trusty with cash this big.
>>
>>3118856

Yea, like the other anon said, take a look at the a7ii (or wait a few months for the iii). Closer to DSLR ergo and hit most of your points. Considerably better low light performance too. Lenses run roughly the same as Fuji (outside of the GM ones) and they are all pretty damn good.

Also take a look at Pentax. Crop only, so you don't get that nice low-light boost the a7 has, but they have some neat astro things built in, and a whole bunch of nice crop lenses that are all weather proofed (not resistant, PROOF!).

Personally I am a little hesitant of Fuji. Their special snowflake sensor causes no end of issues. Poorly supported, and has color and detail issues.
>>
>>3118860
> The most I'd want from Sony would be 6500
The A7S was mentioned first because it's basically the best "available light" camera that you can get for its price.

> a7II felt mushy
?

> plus lenses, with few exceptions, are very expensive
Fuji is much worse in that regard.

Sony doesn't have many cheap zoom lenses, but otherwise the lenses generally cost as much as good lenses cost.
With a bunch of rather cheap deals like the 28mm f/2, the 50mm macro, the Samyang lenses and so on.

> There is adapting, but I'd like to stick the given system.
And then there is that, too. Why wouldn't you also adapt if you prefer some lenses to be cheap rather than particularly good?

>>3118861
>Considerably better low light performance too.
The D750 is okay. Not as good as an A7S, but it'll actually do better than a A6500 and about the same as an A7 II,

It still has the extra bulk and weight for camera and lenses (weight primarily for the lenses) which make it less ideal for travel, not equally interesting macro lens options, and so on.

Not a bad camera, but personally I can't see why you'd pick it over the A7 II or A7S.
>>
They will trade for a Mamiya 7 or 7 II

I have a 7II with 80MM

why shouldn't I?
>>
>>3118517
Well, I didn't mean OS specific, but just that I've heard Apple monitors tend to be better than Windows.

Thanks, though. I'll just look for performance rather than screen quality. My laptop is unbearably slow now.
>>
>>3118885
Try reinstalling windows on an SSD and maybe upgrade the RAM in your laptop.
Very cheap and often whats needed to make your laptop run faster again.
>>
>>3118886
Thanks, I'll see what I can do.
>>
>>3118863

Ohh D750, for some reason I read D610 twice. That is definatly a much better choice than the D610 or X-T2.

D750 had the screw drive, right? Could probably pick up some old film era lenses dirt cheap.

But you could do the same thing with old minolta lenses on the a7ii.
>>
>>3118898
Only with an adapter.
A99 and A99ii have the native mount for the sweet Minolta glass
>>
>>3118850
Inconvenient.
>>
>>3118916

The e-mount adapter works pretty well though.
>>
>>3118923
It you carry a tele lens, use that for metering. Or get an OM-4ti.

Today I decided to redpill myself on chinesium and ordered the new 7artesans 7.5/2.8 fisheye for my Fuji. Made an offer of $128 on eBay. Will report on it in a few weeks. If it's not total garbage, should I go for the 50/1.1 as I lack a decent M fit fifty?
>>
>>3118856
a dSLR is quite big, if you want something more the size of the XT2, get a Sony A7ii or Sony A7iiR
>>
File: lens.jpg (31KB, 860x172px) Image search: [Google]
lens.jpg
31KB, 860x172px
Anybody have this lens? Does it have any softness on the wide end? Will I get annoyed by the noisy autofocus

PhotographerMe
>>
>>3118952
good lens, the af is rather annoyingly noisy, and the manual focus is terrible (at least on my copy)

never had any issues with it regarding iq though
>>
>>3118961
cool, thinking of picking it up used for $200.

Do you think it'd be better getting the non VC version since lots of reports say it's sharper? What about saving an extra $80 for a Sigma 17-50 OS instead? Or is there another ~17-50 range zoom I should be on the lookout for?
>>
>>3118795
What camera and lens(es) do you have exactly?
>>
File: 1622851105295709249-account_id=1.jpg (229KB, 1616x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1622851105295709249-account_id=1.jpg
229KB, 1616x1080px
I just got this at a garage sale for $0.50
>>
Would the an EOS 5D be a suitable first professional camera? I have a guy that will sell me the body just for $500
>>
>>3118952
Somewhat soft borders at 17mm f/2.8, extremely soft at 50mm.

Will you get annoyed? If you buy mainly $300 zoom lenses and were happy with them, probably no. It's okay for one of these.

If you mainly decent buy primes or higher-end zoom lenses and want to get like 70%+ of your sensor's worth of resolution as usable image even when wide open., this one doesn't really measure up. It is a lot worse.
>>
>>3119001
Probably no. I figure much of the competition will be using a 5D IV or 5DS R with good glass (or comparably high-end gear from the other brands).

But of course it depends on your customers.
>>
>>3118856

If you want to do astro, don't get a sony, they have the star eater problem.
>>
>>3119007
It's probably not a problem. The majority of astrophotography isn't about capturing the last star possible, but just to have many stars for artistic effect.

>https://www.lonelyspeck.com/sony-a7s-astrophotography-review/
>For astrophotography the a7S seems to offer the cleanest image of any camera I have used so far
>>
File: images.jpg (18KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18KB, 384x384px
Is this a good buy? This is my first cam and im excited to learn more.
>>
>>3119012
That review looks like it was from before the firmware update that causes the problem.
>>
>>3119019
Should work. It's already a pretty useful camera.

OTOH if you can somewhat easily afford the A6500 or A7 II, you might as well get one of these instead.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (112KB, 1024x899px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
112KB, 1024x899px
Anyone got something to say about the Pentax K-x? Found one for decently cheap and I thought it might be time to finally get a DSLR. Comes with a couple of different lenses as well.
>>
>>3119048
I only heard they fixed the issue in newer firmware.
>>
>>3119051
That was a fairly okay but not fantastic camera 8 years ago.

I'd suggest getting a newer DSLR or MILC. For Pentax, the K-1 is pretty good.
>>
>>3119054
>the K-1 is pretty good
>$2000
jesus christ anon i'm looking at old cheap cameras for a reason. I aint rich.
the K-x I found is only $120
>>
I have a Canon XSI, I've been using it for a year now and I would like to upgrade it. What is a good camera that I can buy brand new and isn't extremely expensive? I was thinking about buying a T6i, is there a better one for that price range?
>>
File: Image2.png (149KB, 355x352px) Image search: [Google]
Image2.png
149KB, 355x352px
I'm supposed to do a review of a chess set for a company and the deadline for it to be posted is Monday.

The camera I was going to use was my Canon Powershot SX210. But now that I have a better camera coming in through the mail (Canon 1D Mark II with 28-300mm lens) I am tempted to wait for it to get there this next week so I can do the photography portion of the review with it.

The SX210 has a focal range of 5 to 70mm so it should technically do better in up close shots, right? And it has a higher megapixel count. So people reading the review will be able to pixel peep the photos. But my gut is telling me the 1D photos will just plain look better.

What do you say I should do? Should I just stick to my deadline and use what I already have?
>>
>>3119060
You should be able to find a Canon T2i for a similar price, great camera for its age. I just sold mine after 6 years, really good low light performance for how cheap it is.
>>
>>3119069
>So people reading the review will be able to pixel peep the photos
They're not going to. They don't give a shit.

>But my gut is telling me the 1D photos will just plain look better.
A 28-300 lens is going to be garbage. I bet you the SX210 takes a sharper picture, with less effort, and more of the object in focus at minimum focus distance.

Why don't you work on your lighting technique instead of worrying about what camera you use?

>>3119068
77D, T6s.
>>
>>3119070
That'd be cool. I have a bit of exprience with canon cameras. Problem is I'm in scandinavia and most stuff costs twice as much as they would in the states.
Whats the difference between the 550D and T2i?
>>
>>3119072
But the 77D (Body only) costs even more than a T6i with the kit lens. Also, why is the T6s better than the T6i? Is it really worth the price difference?
>>
>>3119050
That's good to hear, my savings was not put into waste.
>>
>>3119072
My lighting is going to be the morning time in the kitchen since the pieces are a stark black and white color with a glossy finish.
>>
>>3119075
They are the same thing.
>>
I'm literally just starting photography. Any tips on what starter things I should buy?
>>
>>3119095
A camera
>>
How worth $1300 is the canon 16-35mm f2.8 II?
>>
File: 49 years old.png (5KB, 511x114px) Image search: [Google]
49 years old.png
5KB, 511x114px
Does photography cause autism?

I noticed Gearfags tend to become more and more aggressive and childish as they age.
It's as if the entire photography environment is damaging to the mind in most cases.
>>
>>3119060
> jesus christ anon i'm looking at old cheap cameras for a reason
> I aint rich.
Yea, I can't know that. Having $2k to spend on hobbies doesn't make you anywhere near rich.

> the K-x I found is only $120
For that price it's reasonable enough.
>>
>>3119095
Once you think you'll be actually doing this as a hobby or even professionally for a while, get a good camera (probably digital, film costs a lot rather quickly if you shoot more often). plus a good lens or two.

Also, lighting + light modifiers if appropriate for the types of photos you do.
>>
>>3119131
You seem like a kid if you can't handle being called a "Bozo" over ignoring clearly stated premises and wasting other people's time.
>>
>>3119051
Get a Pentax Q
>>
>>3118447
Get a desktop, dumbass
>>
>>3119155
I think I just have naive expectations people in nearing their 50's.

In the end everybody is just a 12 year old inside grown up bodies.
>>
>>3119165
> In the end everybody is just a 12 year old inside grown up bodies.
I don't really disagree, but if you think you're an exception - well, I sure can't see you as such.

It's especially a bad sign that you can't take some -ultimately very mild- expression of displeasure at not putting effort into reading stated argument and apparently just wasting time.
>>
>>3118856
Canon 5D IV and 50mm f/1.4
>>
>>3118881
Because the Mamiya's better
>>
>>3118885
>I've heard Apple monitors tend to be better than Windows

MS doesn't make monitors.
>>
>>3119001
Should be $400 at most.
>>
>>3119079
Kit lens is shit.

Shouldn't you still have your glass from you XSi?
>>
>>3118856
A7ii for full frame or A6500 for APS-C.

If you get the A6500, the 18-105 G lens is a good match for it.
>>
>>3119178
> professional
> $400
Not even close, and that's despite the initial investment for an actual professional photography setup being really comparatively pretty low at a few grand plus maybe a studio rent or something.
>>
>>3119186
I meant for the 5D
>>
File: 1498452200829.jpg (59KB, 522x583px) Image search: [Google]
1498452200829.jpg
59KB, 522x583px
I don't want to make a new thread for a dumb question but when shooting b&w, is it best to shoot in monochrome or edit the photo in lightroom?
>t. someone who has never shot b&w
>>
>>3119254
Don't bother doing it in-camera. Do it in post on your RAWs.

Possibly, but not necessarily in Lightroom. Photoshop or alternative such image editors are almost better for it, actually. The now free Google Nik Collection or other more specialized tools can also be useful.
>>
>>3119264
Thank you for the quick reply and info.
>The now free Google Nik Collection
Will look into this. Thanks again!
>>
Black&White in-camera is a meme.

You need post processing to first correct chromatic aberrations in the best way, otherwise you won't get the sharpest B&W images.
>>
File: Canon_Angle_Finder_B.jpg (42KB, 597x436px) Image search: [Google]
Canon_Angle_Finder_B.jpg
42KB, 597x436px
Does anyone know what cameras this fucker is compatible with and how I can get it on the 1D series?
>>
>>3119048

a7s never had star eatwr.

Only the a7sii. It got partially fixed in an update, but it is still there.
>>
File: .jpg (144KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
144KB, 1000x1000px
>>3119288
Huh looks like it just attaches to the eyepiece slot. Remove your camera's eyepiece cover and see what the mount looks like. If it looks close then I'd give it a shot.
>>
>>3119288
Oh you're looking for the B. Well someone here recommends it at least for the 1D
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/1056101#forum-post-11358832
>>
File: .png (200KB, 942x556px) Image search: [Google]
.png
200KB, 942x556px
>>3119288
last one from me but looks like it should be compatible.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231382208398
>>
Is a D7100 worth $100 more or so than a D5300?
D5300 was my first camera. I've learned a lot with it but have been pretty restricted as far as lenses go. I can probably unload it for $400-450 locally. D7100s pop up every now and then for around $500.
>>
>>3119377
A thousand times yes. That's 10 times yes per dollar.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
this worth 70£ ?
anyone ever had it, also retarded question , can you charge it via a battery bank?
>>
File: BoatFluke.jpg (191KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
BoatFluke.jpg
191KB, 1000x667px
>>3119269
>Black&White in-camera is a meme

Thinking this is a meme

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:08:09 19:34:36
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Brightness4.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceDaylight
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
I'm about to start doing portraits. What is better on a crop sensor:

50mm or 85mm?

I already have a nifty 50, and will take advantage of its wide aperture. Is 85mm worth it?

I am considering the Canon 85mm f/1.8. Is there a better option near that price range? (under $400)
>>
>>3119413
>buying a bridge shit with peanut sensor
>ever
>>
Hello , I found a d3400, 18-55mm kit lens, and a 35mm 1.8 prime for 350$. Decent? Should I go for it?
>>
File: Nice1.gif (3MB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
Nice1.gif
3MB, 420x300px
>>3119415
>that picture
>>
File: Canon_Angle_Finder_EOS1n.jpg (42KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
Canon_Angle_Finder_EOS1n.jpg
42KB, 800x535px
>>3119374
>>3119376

Thanks, I got confused when I saw this listing that had the Ec? frame around it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-CANON-EOS-1N-RS-35mm-Film-Camera-w-Angle-Finder-B-from-Japan-/232419921194?hash=item361d4e8d2a:g:qFIAAOSwUKxYlBY6
>>
>>3119424
Whatever suits your style of portraits better. You probably could use the 50 to begin with as you already have it as upgrade to something longer if you feel like it, or be happy and never look back
>>
What is the best value full frame dslr? Probably not current gen but somewhere in the realms of 5diii d750 a99 ?
>>
>>3119457

For what usage?
>>
>>3119457
Used d800 for portraits and landscape is a really good deal imo
>>
>>3119457
D700

Legendary build, sub $1000, great handling of light, pretty much the same AF system from the D3 which only went under some refinement between then and the D4s era.

Alternatively, the D800/D800E. More money, but if AF performance isnt 100% critical, it's most of a D810 for less.
>>
is the nikon df out of production? several places seem to have them out of stock or backordered, and there are rumours of a df2 announcement on their anniversary
>>
So I finally fell for the full frame meme and got myself a 6D.

Is magic lantern worth on it? What features does it add?
>>
>>3119413
Everything else aside, I used to use a powershot a bit at work that had a reflective metallic ring on the front of the lens like that one, and it would constantly reflect rings of light onto any surface I'd shoot. Maybe not a problem if you're only shooting stuff indoors or from a distance, but I would never in a million years recommend any camera that has that feature.
>>
File: DSCN0506-1080.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0506-1080.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
My last camera just died, close to 60k photos with it. It was a point-and-shoot, Nikon Coolpix L100 and the only specialty thing I did with it was to take super close macro shots of insects (reposted pic fully related).

I'm in the market for a new camera, but I'm no longer going with a point-and-shoot. I need a camera and one good macro lens. While on /an/, earlier this year, discussing insect macro shots, I was told this by an anon who does amazing insect macro work,

>A Canon Eos 7D with the Tokina 100mm macro. For these high magnification shots I also have a set of (cheap) extension tubes. Lighting is a ring flash with a homemade diffuser (literally just a clear plastic box with white paper inside).

>If you use any kind of system camera use extension tubes and not magnification lenses for more magnification. Those just put awful, cheap glass in front of your good lens.

That Cannon BTFO my budget ($700), but that Tokina lens is within my range. That would mean nearly $400 for lens and $300 left over for camera. Not exactly out of point-and-shoot range. Though, that lens goes well with Nikon AF-based cameras, but would be f/5.6 at 1:1 for macro which is fine for what I want to do.

After searching forever, I found, "Nikon - D3400 DSLR Camera with AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens" for $499. I've been googling and reading and more reading and I'm fucking cross eyed and brain dead now. I figure I'll digest all this info for another week before making any decisions. I thought, I'd at least run this by you guys since I'm sure I've made some critical mistake somewhere that's easy to spot.

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX L100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)83 mm
Image Width3648
Image Height2736
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:05:28 14:17:09
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating128
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCool White Fluorescent
Focal Length15.10 mm
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
I want a photocamera. I want something decent and not some hipster monkey with a nikon like stuff.
However, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to anything bigger than a compact camera or smartphone.
I prefer to shoot people and hate hate hate lense distortion. Also lost places and nature.

What cameras and lenses should i look into for my needs? Lets say up to 1500 Euro (body and lense). Its just a now and then hobby, so I dont want to sink thousands of euros into pro-gear.
>>
>>3119613
$499 for a D3400 is too much unless you're buying new (which there's no real point to)
You can find the same kits for roughly $390 or lower.
>>
>>3119616
I'll do some digging, yes that was the "new" price.
>>
>>3119622
You can also get it cheaper if you're willing to give up the kit lens, if you plan on just doing macro work.
>>
File: canon80D_nikonD7200.jpg (692KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
canon80D_nikonD7200.jpg
692KB, 4096x2304px
>>3119615
me again: layed my eyes on the Nikon D7200 and Canon 80D, which one to go? or something else?

I kind of tend to the nikon. should i buy the 18-140 lense or 55-200 or 55-300 if i mainly want to shoot people/portraits?

For hands on I will visit a local store tomorrow
>>
>>3119674
I have no experience with the 80D but I can say the D7200 is pretty nice, fits well in my big man hands
>>
>>3119674
>should i buy the 18-140 lense or 55-200 or 55-300 if i mainly want to shoot people/portraits?

Neither.

Buy a nice prime, preferable 85mm but 50mm will do too (and will be cheaper).
Those lenses are too slow for nice portraits.
>>
Is the DSCHX90 any good? looking for a hiking camera so things influencing my choice are
>compact
>zoom
>mini sun proof lens thing (viewfinder?)
>price (under £350)

planning on nature shots and some astro shots also can you turn off metadata in the options is that standard or will I have to strip it myself before uploading and archiving?
>>
>>3119627
Being able to have two lens would be optimal in the long run. The macro stuff is the only specialty thing I'd need to do. I still need to do normal photos so having a range will help.
>>
File: 1497971102975.jpg (75KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1497971102975.jpg
75KB, 540x540px
I want to upgrade from Canon 700D (T5i)
Is it a good idea to buy a full frame (5DS r I was thinking)? I mainly shoot outdoor portraits for a bit of money here and there, and wonder if it's worth changing my main camera? Especially that it's quite expensive for a poorfag like me
>>
>>3119731
jesus why a 5DS? get a 6D or a Mark III if you really want FF
>>
>>3119692
thanks for the tipp. I have problems finding an 85mm equivalent for a cropped sensor though. Nikon has a 58mm one (x1,5=87mm) but that one costs 1.800 bucks, nearly double the price of the body alone. Are there any other ones on the market?

the other option coming near would be a normal 50mm lense (=75mm). i saw some 60mm lenses but those were macro lenses, apereantly not that great for shooting portraits(?).
>>
>>3119768
50 is A-OK
>>
Currently using a little Lumix TZ70 and having fun taking pictures at long zoom ranges despite the massive side effects on such a small device.
Looking at the market it is disheartening how little options there are to get lenses in the 400mm range for mirrorless systems. Budget bodies like an A6000 / XT-10 all look like fun but matching up a long lens costs like 2000 euro.
The only way I seem to be able to get reach is by going for Canon and dealing with (to me at least) hideous ancient looking DSLRs.

In no way does a Canon 70D or D7 look appealing. The awful video compared to the budget mirrorless systems is also a pain.

I might wind up picking up a cheap Canon body to only match with a lens for wildlife and doing everything else on a Sony / Fuji I guess. Adapting lenses to work on the Sony camera's seems both expensive and flaky as an alternative.

Quite a confusing market to me, not seeing why a Sigma or Tamron doesn't make a 400mm range camera for a Fuji or Sony.
>>
File: 1462319549729.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1462319549729.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
Changing professions and can afford to buy one camera before I do.

Should I get a 7D Mark II and have a crop sensor camera that I already have a wide degree of lenses for and could use to shoot and potentially earn money on the side.

or

Buy into the full frame meme and get a 6D while I can afford one and hope that I can afford lenses at some point in college.
>>
>>3119786
Get the one you can support with lenses the easiest way.
You will need to save up money for all the business stuff. Changing professions always cost a lot of money and time.
>>
>>3119786
If you need the frame rate get the 7D, otherwise, get the 6D
>>
I need a small white-balance 'card' that I can carry with me for use with the custom WB setting on my A6300. Suggestions?
>>
>>3119838
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/231564-REG/Delta_98705C_Gray_Card_4.html/pageID/accessory
>>
File: DSCN0688-ryan-in-pool.jpg (167KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0688-ryan-in-pool.jpg
167KB, 1000x750px
What's a good bang for the buck carbon travel tripod? I have had good luck with my big aluminum Vanguard so I started looking with them but I wondered if there wasn't some other offerings I wasn't aware of. Other than small and light, my only requirement is an arca Swiss compatible ball head. Thx.
>>
What's better? Why?
Canon 85mm f1.8
or
Rokinon 85M-C 85mm F1.4
>>
>>3119865
do you like autofocus?

you will NEVER notice the dfference between 1.4 and 1.8 especially at 85
>>
I've got an AE-1 and the 50mm1.8 FD lens that came with it, got both for free. I'm still learning photog, is it worth buying another lens, and if so, what one?
>>
>>3119865
>tried and tested optical formula from the worlds largest camera manufacturer
>korean garbage

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01HMWKRP6/ref=twister_B01IDEL1U2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

any experience with these filters?
>>
>>3119961
the Gradual ND kit specifically
>>
>>3119888
I just sold my AE-1, but I absolutely loved the 28mm f2.8.
>>
File: slidelite.png (278KB, 460x440px) Image search: [Google]
slidelite.png
278KB, 460x440px
Hello,

Lets talk straps.

I'm about to get the Peak Design Slide lite - any other recommendations/considerations?
>>
>>3119613
>While on /an/, earlier this year, discussing insect macro shots, I was told this by an anon who does amazing insect macro work,
Has this been archived anywhere?
>>
>>3119975
Not really, the Peak Design is the best you can get. I have the wide one and it holds up my Bigma without any problems during my usual walks in the nearby hills. The anchors are strong and don't scuff easily, they hold up strong while easy to swap anchor points when you go from telephoto to small lenses.
Stay away from the chinese blackrapid shit, the lugs break easily.
>>
>>3119613
I use a cheap old Tamron 90/2.8 AF lens on my Pentax and the results are excellent.
You can get a K-50 or K-S2 and get a used Tamron 90/2.8, it will fit your budget without any gimped features.
>>
>>3119983
Nice.

Yeah, I've been holding out for a good strap and it seems PD is a cut above the rest.

Thanks for the input.
>>
>>3119980
There doesn't seem to be a website that archives /an/. I only saved that little bit of text.

>>3119985
>>3119616
Buying new means no gray market and no problems sending it in to get fixed by the manufacturer as well as having a longer/better warranty.
>>
i still have a D90. it's heavy and big but it's working just fine. should i think about selling it and buying something else ?
>>
>>3119997
Pretty much all my photo stuff I bought used, never had a single problem, but I also checked the seller.
Photographers generally tend to their gear, it is very rare you would see a bad condition gear being sold without specifically stated "as-is" or "for parts"
The body I got from a photographer, lenses I got from reputable stores selling used, refurbished and B-stock items.
I recommend looking up B&H, KEH or in the EU SRS Microsystems and Photo Koeberl Graz. They are the best shops so far I did business with.
Plus even if you buy new and you get a problem you will most likely have to pay up just for checking, even if in the warranty period. Consumer electronics warranty in itself is a grey area.
>>
File: nikkor.jpg (196KB, 970x450px) Image search: [Google]
nikkor.jpg
196KB, 970x450px
Noobie question, never hold an DSLR.

When having an autofocus lense, can you set it to manual mode and focus it by roating your hand like on an analog SLR? Can you change focus on the body itself?
>>
>>3119865
Both are okay & neither rivals a Otus.

You probably want the Canon 'cause AF.
>>
>>3119855
Q666C/Q999C, Dic&Mic E302C / P303C and similar models on Aliexpress.
>>
>>3120003
>When having an autofocus lense, can you set it to manual mode and focus it by roating your hand like on an analog SLR?
Yes.

>Can you change focus on the body itself?
That'd be autofocus.
>>
>>3120003
>When having an autofocus lense, can you set it to manual mode and focus it by roating your hand like on an analog SLR?
Yes, on the majority of lenses.

> Can you change focus on the body itself?
You generally toggle whether a lens is in AF or MF mode on a camera body (though some also have buttons on the lens for that).

Most cameras have somewhat indirect means to adjust focus on the camera (e.g. selecting individual focus points / moving focus areas for the AF system with a directional pad, joystick or touch screen). But "manual focus" usually happens on the lens' focus ring.
>>
>>3120003
You could, but since most AF lenses are geared for fast focusing, their focus track (amount you can "rotate" the lens with the focusing wheel) is usually very short, so that the AF motor can as quickly as possible move the focus from one poont to the next.
Contrast this to lenses actually made for manual focus, where the focus track instead is usually exaggeratedly long, in order to allow easier fine-tune adjustment of the focus by the less precise hand motion.

So yes, you can, but it's not going to offerthe operator as good user experience as a real manual focus lens.
>>
>>3119998
If you think a modern APS-C or FF MILC or just a slightly smaller DSLR setup would be more useful to you, you can certainly get devices that are considerably better on average and have lower weight / smaller size.

Or you could get a compact camera, there are some that are reasonably useful for some uses.
>>
>>3120009

Not to mention most ovf's on an af camera have subpar focus screens foranual focus.
>>
>>3120016
Most DSLRs have liveview with peaking. Unless you use Nikon, in which case sucks to be you.
>>
>>3120017
As neato as peaking is, it can't be used with a vf on a dslr (limiting its usefullness, especially is harsh lighting conditions) and it falls way short of a proper focus-screen when it comes to accuracy and ease of use.
>>
>>3120020
Buy a film SLR then.
>>
>>3120020
I have AF confirmation on manual focus though. It works as a charm and can fire the shutter automatically when I bring the subject into focus.
>>
>>3120023
More like get a MILC, they feature the best general purpos MF assist mechanisms to date.

It is not like the usual person would want to forfeit the usual digital camera advantages anyhow.
>>
>>3120023

Or, you know, just get a good focus screen for your AF body.
>>
>>3120029
Or just use an AF lens.
>>
>>3118863
D750 is better than a7ii in every way imaginable.
>>
>>3120049
Not really. As compared to the A7 II, it is missing IBIS, an EVF with focus peaking, lower weight on body and lenses, the vast majority of the good native E-mount primes, a 1/8000 shutter option, decent interaction with an app on your smartphone, a better video encoder and other things.

The D750 is a decent camera anyhow, it also has a few advantages. More zoom lenses and such.
>>
Lads do I pay $300 for a Ricoh grd iii or $450 for a grd iv. Is the iv worth the extra cash
>>
File: 1483438488752.jpg (15KB, 463x325px) Image search: [Google]
1483438488752.jpg
15KB, 463x325px
Can anyone recommend a place that sells second hand cameras(like amazon or ebay but not those two) that they have successfully done business with. Ive heard very mixed things about places like KEH and don't know if i want to give them my money.

Secondly, if i buy a camera used with a high shutter count (for example a 5d mark ii with 90,000+ actuation's for $500) could i send it back into canon to be refurbished giving me a "near new" camera for a fraction of the price.
>>
>>3120088
Why not Ebay?

> i send it back into canon to be refurbished giving me a "near new"

No, it doesn't work like that.

You sound very young and might I add, stupid.
>>
>>3120090
Ebay is not off the table, just wondering if there are other more subject oriented sites that may or may not provide a broader range of option.

>No, it doesn't work like that.

I'm sorry, I forgot that electronics manufacturers don't stand behind their products for the life of the product anymore.
>>
>>3120096
>subject oriented sites that may or may not provide a broader range of option.

What the fuck are you babbling about?

>I'm sorry, I forgot that electronics manufacturers don't stand behind their products for the life of the product anymore.

They don't, they've discontinued service and maintenance of the mk 2. It's basically polishing a turd at this stage for very little gain. Also, you'll pay out the ass for it, and it won't be "like new".
>>
>>3120088
SRS Microsystems, Foto Köberl Graz
>>
I am looking to get my first wide wide angle lenses for my D3300 the 3 lenses that are in my price bracket are
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM £329
Nikon 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR AF-P £349
Tokina AT-X 120 Pro DX AF 11-20mm f2.8 £352
anyone used any of these lenses got any recommendations?
>>
>>3120100
>What the fuck are you babbling about?
See post 1, the section asking about commerce alternatives in a niche market.

>they've discontinued service and maintenance of the mk 2
So they in fact don't stand behind their goods for the lifetime of said product. But do service goods that they deem worth servicing. Additionally the best course of action would be to ask an official canon representative instead of a random chucklefuck who can only speak on terms of conjecture, got it. Thank you
>>
>>3120108
>>
>>3120110
I'd get the Tokina. f/2.8 and good optics, better than Sigma.
>>
File: 1484450789518.jpg (41KB, 594x388px) Image search: [Google]
1484450789518.jpg
41KB, 594x388px
>>3120116

I forgot to word, Thank you.
>>
>>3120114
You're the thick cunt posting this shit here, asking questions that can be googled in a nanosecond.
>>
>>3120119
The "You" came through automatically
>>
>>3119975
I started out with a blackrapid strap and I still use it now and then attached to the foot of my 70-200. Otherwise, I use all blackrapid stuff. I have the Slide (for my traditional DSLRS), the Leash (for my mirrorless), and the clutch, with the toggles on all my bodies so I can move things around as need be. Completely happy with the Peak Design system.
>>
>>3120135
Bought the slide lite like 2 hours ago, should get it wednesday
>>
>>3120088
I've had nothing but good experience with KEH, myself. 95% of my gear is pre-owned. I've bought stuff from verified sellers in facebook groups and eBay, and KEH or Amazon is also a good resource if there's something specific I'm looking for.
>>
>>3120135
Fuck... I mean I use all Peak Design stuff
>>
>>3120130
Right!? I forgot this entire website was for shitposting. Not a collaborative of people conversing with others, answering questions, and seeking knowledge past that of a nanosecond google search. There's no deeper understanding of subject matter here. Thanks for refresher. [fishhook.dng]

>>3120132
I goofed, not going to dwell on it.
>>
File: 1436824580877.png (84KB, 248x251px) Image search: [Google]
1436824580877.png
84KB, 248x251px
>buy used d3300 for $280
>week later find d5300 for $300 used
>>
>>3120150
>More focus points and a flippy screen
It's not really an upgrade. The D3300 will be great
>>
fuji x-t1 + 35mm lens is on sale for $800 at adorama and b&h
>>
>>3120150
Those "much more focus points" are as accurate as the 11 AF points in the D3300. Don't worry about it.
An actual upgrade would be a D7100 or even a D7000.
>>
>>3118928
I don't and I'm mostly happy with my current cameras, so need for the Olympus.
>>
>>3120150
Same kind of shit.

Get a D7200 or D750 (or whatever is the equivalent to these then) instead once you need an upgrade.
>>
>>3120135
Same here.

Peak Design Slide is way more comfortable than Black Rapid IMO.

The thick padding on the Black Rapid is actually a disadvantage because it gets really hot, especially since it has to stay fixed in place.
It's also hard to put on, so you end up wearing it all day.
>>
>>3119072
>I bet you the SX210 takes a sharper picture, with less effort, and more of the object in focus at minimum focus distance.
You were right.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170724-012443.jpg (128KB, 521x692px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170724-012443.jpg
128KB, 521x692px
Plz answer

Lads do I pay $300 for a Ricoh grd iii or $450 for a grd iv. Is the iv worth the extra
>>
>>3120221
Yes.
>>
>>3120166
d5300 is far superior to d3300

not as good as d7xxx obviously, but a good jump from the 3000's
>>
what's a cheap phone with a decent camera
>>
>>3120228
Alright now new question. Do I get the iv for $400 or gr 2 16mp for $600?
>>
any good vintage OM macro lenses?
>>
>>3120219
I know, lad. I've got a SD850 or something that takes some wicked sharp pictures in good light. It can't resolve fine detail worth a damn, but edges and colors come out nicely. Don't underestimate the compact camera, but also know its limitations.
>>
File: IMG_6994.jpg (3MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6994.jpg
3MB, 4320x3240px
The 1D Mark II I bought off of ebay came in today. It was actually in very good condition, but smelled kind of weird when I unpacked it. Not a moldy smell. I swear it smells exactly like Tea. Like bagged tea. The smell has gone away mostly now.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot SX210 IS
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size5.00 - 70.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.00
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2017:07:24 22:48:43
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Red-Eye Reduce
Focal Length5.00 mm
Image Width4320
Image Height3240
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure ModeAv-Priority
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeRed-Eye Reduction (On)
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
Subject Distance0.210 m
Flash Bias-1.00 EV
White BalanceTungsten
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Image Number144-6994
>>
>>3120375

I got that exact same lens in a-mount and it stuck in a really weird way too.

I think it is the rubber on the lens.
>>
File: C8S6960.jpg (5MB, 3522x2348px) Image search: [Google]
C8S6960.jpg
5MB, 3522x2348px
>>3120375
And first photo today I decided to keep. This lens is a bit tricky for me to use, I haven't done much with the longer focal ranges before. And manual focusing is difficult with the very short range of movement on this lens. The lens is a Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 LD Aspherical. Reviews weren't great, but I'm just happy to have a DSLR again.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D Mark II
Image Created2017:07:25 09:25:02
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/6.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePartial
Focal Length300.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width3504
Image Height2336
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
File: 3.jpg (924KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
924KB, 3024x4032px
just found these three?

any of them notable?
>>
>>3120381
The Concord is pretty nice, but not valuable.
>>
>>3120318
I am going to try the 50mm f/1.8 OM F. Zuiko pretty soon so I will let you know.
>>
>>3120088
Just straight up ebay. The nature of the competitive market on ebay, the ability to see past seller feedback, and the well established mechanism for refunds and returns makes it the best place to do business on the internet as a buyer.
>>
For sensor cleaning with a swab, are there any good brands which are recommended? When i go on ebay i just see a bunch of unbranded/chinese looking ones. I'm looking to clean my d610's sensor,
>>
>>3120282
Between those, the GR 2.

Though as far as I'm concerned an IL MILC is the way to go.
>>
>>3120381
No, nothing notable.
>>
>>3119997
>There doesn't seem to be a website that archives /an/. I only saved that little bit of text.

https://desuarchive.org/an/

Claims it does, I don't know how far back it goes.
>>
>>3120096
>I'm sorry, I forgot that electronics manufacturers don't stand behind their products for the life of the product anymore.

Do you want a lifetime guarantee for your light bulbs too?
>>
>>3120375
How much?
>>
>>3120420
Everything is expensive to poorfags and they would *at least* get warranty forever on everything if it costs anything.

Meanwhile even the high end of FF cameras is likely actually sold too cheap to make offering that service even theoretically possible.
>>
>>3119060
I went a little beyond what I wanted to spend when I bought my K-1. No regrets though, it is fucking fantastic especially for me since my previous was the ten year old K-10.
Also if you already have several pentax K mount lenses it makes sense.
>>
>>3120390
Wtf is that
>>
good first cam? i just wanna take photos nothing serious.
>>
>>3120504
Ricoh grd i ii iii iv
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 934x697px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 934x697px
Where can I get this exact strap?
>>
>>3120552
You're looking for the tags Paracord, probably etsy - not exact but I hope it helps
>>
File: NG_MC_2250_det01_highlight.jpg (222KB, 703x669px) Image search: [Google]
NG_MC_2250_det01_highlight.jpg
222KB, 703x669px
How's the Nat Geo MC2250 as a very light camera bag?

I don't carry much. Just an
>E-M10 II with Lumix 25mm 1.7
and an extra small zoom lens

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image Width703
Image Height669
>>
File: Eternal_BIONDO_Maya_high_0034.jpg (1MB, 2884x4324px) Image search: [Google]
Eternal_BIONDO_Maya_high_0034.jpg
1MB, 2884x4324px
Epson perfection v550 or Canon 9000f markii ?

Really hard on deciding, holy shit. Been now thinking over it since a few weeks
>>
>>3120566
Epson's got better quality for 35mm and more knobs for twiddling. Canon has drivers in Linux. Neither is a bigger weak link in the imaging chain than your lens, or 400 speed film in Rodinal; neither produces scans that're usefully printable without heavy editing (as is usual for negative scans). For the average user it's better just to get the cheaper option, since these appear on the used market quite regularly.
>>
>>3120570
the canon is 200 and the epson is 230.
Not much difference.
>>
>>3120564
Probably good.

Then again, so is just about every one camera bag on Aliexpress.

Honestly, it's a padded, possibly waterproofed compartment with a sling and a few zippers.
>>
>>3120504
The best camera+lens you can afford that also meets your size requirements and stuff like that.

> nothing serious
But you want good? So really, it depends on what you consider good, and where / how you're going to use it.

Maybe you need fast autofocus or great stabilization, maybe you don't. Maybe you need compact size or low weight or maybe you can handle something larger / heavier too. Maybe you need srs low light performance, maybe you don't. Maybe you need zoom or long reach or maybe you need wide angle and close focusing.
>>
>>3120493
Something Ricoh doesn't have.
>>
File: IMG_20170721_074851.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_074851.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
For a beginner videofag, how good is a used T2i?

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G900V
Camera SoftwareG900VVRS2DQD1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)31 mm
Image Width5312
Image Height2988
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2017:07:21 07:48:51
Exposure Time1/120 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness5.2 EV
Exposure Bias1/2 EV
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.80 mm
Image Width5312
Image Height2988
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image IDF16QLHF01SB
>>
File: lenses.jpg (360KB, 1579x540px) Image search: [Google]
lenses.jpg
360KB, 1579x540px
I have collected these three lenses from thrift stores. I am thinking of adapting them to fit my 1d mark II. I can do either the Olympus 50mm f/1.8 F. Zuiko or the combination of the Minolta Rokkor 48mm F/2 and the Minolta Maxxum zoom Xi 28-80mm f/4-5.6

I already have the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 LD Aspherical lens.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot SX210 IS
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.1
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2017:07:25 20:36:06
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/3.1
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/3.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Auto, Red-Eye Reduce
Focal Length5.00 mm
Image Width0
Image Height0
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3120784
Forgot to actually ask the question: which one do you suggest?
>>
>>3118383
Is a Nikon cool pix a for $250 cad decent, it's essentially brand new?
>>
File: LRM_EXPORT_20170718_162023[1].jpg (825KB, 1985x1376px) Image search: [Google]
LRM_EXPORT_20170718_162023[1].jpg
825KB, 1985x1376px
>>3120381
Pretty sure i saw a Kodak and a Rikon(thought it was a Nikon at first) at the local goodwill store last week.

Was going to grab a Olempia Big Royal View SLR when i saw and bought pic related.
>>
File: 41vCSskrd+L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (21KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
41vCSskrd+L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
21KB, 350x350px
selling a brand new sony a7ii body only for 1300 usd shipped.

email me @ [email protected]

I can do international but shupping charge may vary
>>
File: 1488161298499.jpg (8KB, 249x225px) Image search: [Google]
1488161298499.jpg
8KB, 249x225px
>buy a g7 kit for 450
>find a g8 body for 460

you think a g7 body would sell for 500?

or should i sell it at cost
>>
Is the Zhiyun Crane worth it?
>>
Can anybody with the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 tell me how it compares to the Olympus 25mm f/1.8?

I can get the Pany for $60 cheaper.

I plan to use it on an Olympus body.
>>
>>3120853
they seem really good
>>3120854
go for the cheaper one
>>
>>3120282
Definitely the GR 2 16mp. For only $200 more you get a far better camera with a much bigger sensor.
>>
>>3120573
In that case get the Epson.
>>
Midrange zoom for a d750 - do I need one? Which should I get?

I have a sigma 50mm right now and manual stuff for 20mm and 35mm.
>>
>>3120784
Zuiko, it's the only one you can adapt without loosing infinity focus.
>>
>>3120878
It's convenient for sure. If you don't know wether you need it, you probably don't. So I'd suggest you get something cheapish first, like the old tamron 28-75/2.8 or used 24-85 nikkor. There's a whole bunch of interesting and still usable old zooms for nikon, google is your friend. And uncle ken has a lot of info on these.
>>
>>3120878
> Midrange zoom for a d750 - do I need one?
Maybe no, if you have to ask. I think you'll suspect you need one if you hit this problem.

> Which should I get?
Uh, usually I'd go with some of the best current glass I can afford if I was going to use it "frequently". In this case, it might be a Sigma 120-300 Sports, a Tamron 70-200 Di Vc, a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 or f/4 ... something like that.

For rarely used glass on the other hand, I might go with something older / cheaper.
>>
>>3120882
Do you think maybe I should just sell all three and use the money to buy a Canon 50mm f/1.8?
>>
>>3120888
Not sure that is wise.

Can't you just get that dirt cheap 50mm f/1.8 without selling the other lenses?
>>
>>3120375

Noice. I was thinking about getting a 1Ds mark II, but people are still asking too much for them, so I got a 5D instead.
>>
>>3120888
The Canon 50mm f1.8 is a dirt cheap and very common lens. You'll be able to find a used one for next to nothing if you look around.
>>
File: IMG_20170726_150515.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170726_150515.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Found a lens and was wondering if anyone can identify what mount this is??
Front of the lens says "panagor auto tele 200mm"

Camera ModelVFD 700
Camera SoftwareMediaTek Camera Application_
Equipment MakeVodafone
Image Created2017:07:26 15:05:15
F-Numberf/2.2
Focal Length3.50 mm
Light SourceOther
Exposure ModeAuto
Image Height4160
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
White BalanceAuto
Image Width3120
FlashNo Flash
Exposure Bias0 EV
ISO Speed Rating123
Exposure Time5381/1000000 sec
>>
>>3121018
Can you post a better image with flat lighting, without all the reflections?

Could be a Minolta mount. Is it on an adapter?
>>
>>3120566
Disgusting pic. Only normies could like that damn i hate photographers photographing normies
>>
File: sirui.jpg (48KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sirui.jpg
48KB, 1000x1000px
looking for a tripod. requirements
- fits into a backpack ~40cm
- under 2kg weight to be carried around
- carry weight: dunno but my dslr with currently larges lense weights 1170gr
- max height: I'm quite a short person
- stable and robust, low vibration
- ring locks
- max 200-300 Euro
- doesnt have to be carbon if its not necessary
- standard ball head is enough i gess

Maybe one from Sirui or Manfrotto? Anything else
>>
>>3121029
See >>3120005

Sirui or Benro also are nice, but they on average ask more for travel alu tripods than the indicated brands for carbon tripods.
>>
>>3121032
>chinese rebranding items
i'd rather want to get some really well built one i'm happy with for years, then some "okay-ish for the price" but not that great cheap one.
>>
>>3121037
I only have one of them, but they are well-built.

And Carbon is an improvement in weight, even if on these models the joints still aren't super lightweight.

Sure enough, the tripod heads aren't terribly fancy, but if you need something better this should free some money for one.
>>
>>3121029
I have the Sirui in that picture, am satisfied
>>
>>3120758
Good enough. Lots of room for learning. Get magic lantern on there and start scouring for primes
>>
>>3121029

Mefoto roadtrip
>>
Which telephoto fool frame ef lens do you recommend if focal length from 100 to 300 is more important than aperture f/2.8. Is there a good f/4 lens reaching 300mm?

Thanks!
>>
Looking to invest in my first digital camera, finally moving away from film. I have used my friends Rebel EOS t5, which I enjoyed. I am looking into the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, a7ii, or contemplating getting somthing like the Rebel T6 and getting a variety of lenses. I am by no means a professional, not trying to make a living off photography. But I would like something good quality that I can do a variety of things with. I want to do some animal and nature, some low light, some action, some portraiture, etc. I'll be using GIMP to touch everything up.

Based on this little amount of info, what would you anons do?
>>
>>3120110
Anyone used any of these lenses? Would like to hear about your experiences with them?
>>3120118
Do you have that lens? Do you like it?
>>
>>3121098
I've always been a fan of the good lens on shit body approach if you're strapped for cash or don't want to spend too much. You can keep the lenses forever and always upgrade your body at a later time.
A good lens literally will not break or lose much value even after 10 years. Just look at the 70-200mm that's been unchanged since '95 or something like that.

Sure, a 5Dmk3 is awesome, even with a shit lens, but your photos will LOOK a lot better with L glass, and you can push a cheap body to do a lot of things if you know what you're doing.
>>
I'm looking to get a good telephoto but I'm on a student budget. I've narrowed it down to going with an Nikkor 80-200 2.8 which I found online for 550, or a tamron 70-200 vc that a friend is willing to give to me for 850. Is it worth the extra 300 for the tamron lens? I know I've heard it's optically superior to even the newest nikkor 70-200
>>
guys I just bought a cheap nikon d7000 camera body

Should I buy a tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC lens or spend $100 more for a sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS lens?
>>
>>3121134
Btw these are in Canadian dollars so they're both good prices Imo
>>
File: elph100hs-blue-3q-675x450.jpg (214KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
elph100hs-blue-3q-675x450.jpg
214KB, 675x450px
Any disposable digital cameras you guys would "recommend"?

I'm going on a trip soon, and my relatively expensive behemoth dslr with a grip and kilogram of mass is not quite the tool i'm looking for. I'd like to buy something that's basically a smartphone, except optical zoom. It has to be lightweight, compact, and as cheap as possible, with image quality being secondary concern. The only thing i expect from it is optical 50mm focal equivalent.

If i won't find anything interesting, i'll just take my old rebel with nifty fifty. A little bit more expensive, a little bit bulkier, but quality should compensate for it.
>>
>>3121135
Yes. You should do one of those.
>>
>>3121144
yeah, but is the sigma optical stabilization and IQ worth the price?
>>
>>3121134
why not adapt a vintage lens for <100$? i just found my dads old gear and its surprisingly usable
>>
>>3121143
I've enjoyed my canon point and shoot, though I've heard Nikon has some very good offerings. I found a few models around a certain price point and read reviews. It shouldn't completely matter, if you know how to use light and are mindful of the limits of your equipment; you'll come home with some pretty decent travel photos.

>>3121146
In my experience, video reviews can be a huge help. There is a greater chance with third party lenses that quality control will be off, and you will have a different experience. But typically that difference will be something like one lens element is off-axis by the slightest, leading to a still-sharp center, with slightly softer edges of the photo.

So again, look for some in-depth reviews of the particular lenses. I have a 24-70 f/2.8 by a third party which has been my walk-around lens since about 2008, producing excellent results for everything from portraits to landscapes.
>>
hello togs, i really need your help. im trying to decide which way i will go. the sony a way or the canon 5d way.

Im shooting streets, landscapes, portrais, events, and architecture

on a regular base im doing little paid shoots for different kinds of events, portraits. at the moment im shooting with a sony a57 im not using that cam because i like it so much but i dont have any other cams at the moment.

before that i shot with a canon 50d.
so now comes my problem i need a reliable cam. im often in the alps climbing, hiking often with temperatures under 0° degrees, so im little worried about the reliability of the sony a7xxx i started some research a few weeks ago and never rode lot about the sony mirrorless systems but i kinda like it. specially the mediumformat lens adapters for the sony a7.

on the other hand the 5d mark iii is a workhorse, i dont care about the weight. im scared that i make the wrong decision, investing in an too old standard or to leave something out.

is the sony a7 ii reliable for outdoors? is the "weathersealing" good enough?

should i wait for the sony a7 iii?

or should i just go for the 5d mark iii?

all the reviews about the sony a9 and the sony a7 ii seem staged and bought by sony, they go like this. "i switched from canon to sony" "why i switched to sony as a pro". btw im in the content business so i can differentiate.

whats your opinion?
>>
>>3120849
>buy a g7 kit for 450
Where did you buy it?
>>
Tired of the whole 'no pro cameras' bullshit at all the events I want to take photos at. What are my options for point and shoots? Every one seems to speak pretty highly about the Ricoh GR. Are there any other notable point and shoots I should consider?
>>
>>3121169
A7 II is a fine camera, buy it if you want its lenses.

People are doing fine in the alps with a6000 already, you'll manage.
>>
>>3121186
RX100 V is nice. The older models are useful too.

Also, what fucking events have no pro cameras rules, and why do you not just bring a "consumer" a A6500 or EM1 II or such?
>>
Does anyone have this little thing? I see it on the auctions for even cheaper than cheap compacts, and i'm looking for cheap compact as we speak. I don't expect much of control from Sony, i already have sony smartphone and can't even set exposure time lower than 1/10s, but i'd love to have optical zoom.
>>
File: djv0gulcb01z.jpg (137KB, 750x934px) Image search: [Google]
djv0gulcb01z.jpg
137KB, 750x934px
>>3121056
>good enough
Is there a better beginner's camera that you would recommend?
>>
>>3121238
Not him, but depends on what counts as a "beginner camera"
Nikon makes slightly better entry cameras nowadays. I'd personally recommend D3300/3400.
Magic Lantern certainly makes a big difference for video, though. For video, it might be better to stick with Canon just because of that.
Unless you'll be buying at least a midrange camera, most people here will say "good enough" at best. Welcome to the gearfag world.
>>
File: output.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>3121238
i'm not this anon, but canon 50d seems to be a good when it comes to videos. It has no mike (is this a problem?) and CF card fast enough to keep up with long RAW recordings could be expensive, but 50d sensor is low on megapixels and should do nicely in video recording on higher ISO. Or so i've heard, i had my friend's 550d in my hands but haven't made any comparison videos or whatever.

I have 50d but never bothered to actually get serious with video recording, so pic related is the best sample i can provide. Do research, who knows, maybe i'm right?
>>
File: p2ex_lq.webm (3MB, 870x489px) Image search: [Google]
p2ex_lq.webm
3MB, 870x489px
>>3121244
w-well, i also did that with 50d. please don't judge, it's ironic™

But interesting thing is, some of those scenes were shot on 300mm macro lens stopped to over f/5.6, and while i took some actions for scene to be somehow illuminated, it wasn't really exceptionally bright. So, i remember that i was pleasantly suprised when i saw the results and there wasn't too much noise. Also, i haven't used this video raw mode, just normal format without extra color bits. Had no idea how to use it properly, and video was for keks anyway, not processed at all except cutting and stitching it together.
>>
>>3121098
Out of all the cameras you mentioned in your post, I'd get the A7ii as its a good system to buy into if you're starting from scratch. Mirrorless is the future.
>>
>>3121169
If you can wait, I'd recommend waiting for the A7iii which is just around the corner. The 5D mk3 is pretty antiquated by now although its still a good workhorse camera for working photographers. Canon hasn't been the best when it comes to technological advances so take that into consideration if you're buying something that you plan to grow into well into the future.
>>
>>3121266
The A7 III is not even announced yet and rumors guess at an announcement or release very late this year or in 2018.

Get the A7 II for now.
>>
>>3121186
>'no pro cameras'
Y tho?
>>
>>3121186
The Ricoh GR II is a great choice. Relatively cheap and compact with a sizable sensor, also virtually silent! The Fuji X100F is also another great choice if they freak out at the sight of anything that looks remotely like a DSLR.
>>
>>3121294 >>3121169

A Fall 2017 release is highly likely for the Sony A7iii, so if waiting a few months is possible then its better to wait. I too vote for the Sony A7 series over the Canon 5D. If you can afford an A7Rii then go for it, have one for a year now and I'm loving it.
>>
Would this audio recorder work well with shotgun mics and the like?
I'm a cheap ass and the T5 is only $340 new, so I'm looking to get around the lack of Mic jack
>>
File: IMG_20170726_210207.jpg (522KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170726_210207.jpg
522KB, 2048x1152px
>>3121338
Whoops, forgot pic

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G900V
Camera SoftwareG900VVRS2DQD1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)31 mm
Image Width2048
Image Height1152
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2017:07:26 21:02:07
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness0.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.80 mm
Image Width2048
Image Height1152
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image IDF16QLHF01SB
>>
>>3121338
If you record audio externally then you would have to sync in post. You get better audio quality if you know what you're doing but if you shoot a ton of footage in short clips it may become a chore to sync up every clip. There's software that will help you with syncing audio tracks to video but I haven't tried any of those.
>>
>>3121232

I have the e-mount version, the QX1.

It is pretty nice. Tethering app is quick to pair and works extremely well. It has full manual controls (though all through a touchscreen, so kind of a pain).

I usually stick a prime on it and throw it in my bag as an edc camera.

That said, these little tethering cameras are pretty old. A modern smartphone would probably outperform that one.

>>3121317

Rumor has it November 2017 announcement, with release not long after that.
>>
>>3121294
>>3121266
>>3121264
So Do you guys have experience with the a7ii Or a7rii what Do you dont like about it please Be honest what could be a possible dealbreaker? I definitly can wait a few months, so it makes sense to wait for the new a7iii

Im realy bad at deciding things like that. im scared that i regret it specially the mixed singnals i got from the internet about the a7 series
>>
>>3121509

I have an a7ii and I absolutely love it.

Boots almost instantly, so I can leave it hanging on a strap off most of the the time. Flick the switch and bring the evf to my eye and it is ready to shoot.

IBIS and low light performance is pretty amazing. It feels like I have nightvision at times.

My only complaint about it, is that it isn't an a7rii. I really want that BSI sensor. AF isn't really what I would call slow, but it isn't lightning fast either. Have never felt limited by it at least.

I would say go ahead and buy it, but I would be tempted to wait with the a7iii right around the corner. Supposed to have a9 sensor and autofocus speeds.
>>
File: Apex140.jpg (60KB, 747x747px) Image search: [Google]
Apex140.jpg
60KB, 747x747px
I've been using a LowePro Apex 140 AW for a year or two now, and I really love it, but its getting awfully tight as I've accumulated more stuff. Anyone know of something good with the same kind of form factor but more room? Just a wider version of it would be great, but it seems like this is the biggest in the apex range. I don't mind switching brands if its of similar quality either..
>>
>>3121510
what field you shoot? how does the sony do in lowlight how fast is the af have you ever used a ff canon?
>>
>>3121571
>what field you shoot?

I am not a professional, just a hobbyist.

>how does the sony do in lowlight how fast is the af

It does pretty well, At around ISO 6400 it starts getting a little too noisy. AF depends on the lens used, but it isn't too bad in low light.

>have you ever used a ff canon?

Yes, a 5d4. I liked all the controls it had (the a7ii has a little more simple layout), but it was massive and heavy. The a7ii w/ the vertical grip is even smaller and lighter than the 5d4 alone.
>>
>>3121684
my problem with deciding which camera to buy is that im feeling the sony stuff is a big hoax.

i mean the emount wasnt supposed to be ff even sony guys and lens manufactors confirmed that. it looks like many people are happy with their a7rii a7ii. i just want to make sure to consider anything i can, before buying a new ecosystem.

but so far, ill wait for the a7iii around the corner. i started some research on the robustness of the the a7 series and it seems that a simple drop could damage the camera very serious the ibis is a problem.

when im going to buy one i would definitly get me a good camera insurance.

have you ever droped your cam? or other rough stuff?
>>
>>3121739

Honestly, all I can tell you is to go give it a try. Go to https://www.lensrentals.com/ and rent an a7ii w/ a few lenses for the weekend.

I love that I can carry it with me anywhere. Pic related is in my bag every time I go out.

>im feeling the sony stuff is a big hoax

It isn't the perfect end-all of cameras, but e-mount is a pretty solid system.

In my opinion, the a7 series wasn't worth looking at before the mark ii line.The ibis and increased AF speeds of the mark ii line are a major boost. I am looking forward to the a7iii, and hope it has the speeds and sensor of the a9. That thing is a beast.

There is a lack of affordable lenses (think nifty fifty style, almost disposable lenses) and some thing on the longer side, but the lens lineup is decently filled out.

>i mean the emount wasnt supposed to be ff even sony guys and lens manufactors confirmed that

First I have heard of that.

There wasn't much to e-mount when Sony decided to switch to FF, so if there really was any technical limitations I would have suspected Sony of all people to change the mount.

>i started some research on the robustness of the the a7 series and it seems that a simple drop could damage the camera

That is true of most cameras. There are delicate pieces of electronics and not something that should be treated roughly.

>when im going to buy one i would definitly get me a good camera insurance.

A good idea. Sony's warranty service in the states is mixed. Glad I am in Japan.

>have you ever droped your cam?

Yes, a few times.

The worst was when I was walking in the imperial palace gardens and dropped it from a height of about 5 feet.

It went skipping across the ground and got covered in dust. Aside from a few scratches, a scuff where it landed, and a broken lens hood it works perfectly fine after I dusted it off.

>other rough stuff?

I got it wet a few times, nothing serious just a minor drizzle/summer shower. I would be hesitant to get it really wet though.
>>
File: PC150306.jpg (920KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
PC150306.jpg
920KB, 1536x1024px
>>3121745

Forgot my pic related.

Horizontal Resolution80 dpi
Vertical Resolution80 dpi
>>
>>3121745
thank you for you input i will definitely wait for the 7iii maybe its my thing.

https://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/sonys-full-frame-pro-mirrorless-fatal-mistake/

this is the source i got my information from about the emount problem and the ibis problem with the emount from a manufactors standpoint. very informative.

oh damn i had to push my japan trips twice now. my friends are in japan right now. how long are you staying. you got some nice shots? are you the one posting in the japan thread?

are you happy with the 35mm zeiss lens?
>>
File: DSC02704.jpg (2MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02704.jpg
2MB, 6000x4000px
>>3121750
>petapixel
>that article

That article is full of cherry picking and taking things out of context. You can safely disregard most of it.

>how long are you staying.

Been here over five years now.

>you got some nice shots?

A few. I live in Kyoto though, and it feels like everything I take has been taken a million times.

>are you the one posting in the japan thread?

No. I have posted a few in the /fgt/ thread before. I have been shooting film more than digital lately. Cheap here in Japan, and lots of used stuff available.

>are you happy with the 35mm zeiss lens?

I love it. Sharp, small, and fast to autofocus. Could have a wider aperture, but f/2.8 is more than enough on a FF sensor.

The new Samyang one is supposed to be almost as good, but a bunch cheaper.

Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
>>
do you guys use lens hoods
>>
>>3121750

The manufacturers and engineers talking about ibis problems were Fuji engineers if I remember correctly, not Sony.

And the next Fuji body is supposed to have ibis in it, so they are kind of going back on their word. It was probably more of marketing talk then actual engineering.
>>
>>3121770
god no, you literally can't take photos with those things on
>>
Given the same price level, would you take entry-level full frame DSLR, or mid-high end aps-c mirrorless?

Also, I'm looking at Planar 50mm f/1.4 and in my head it is a very pleasing image of me manual focusing and getting these beautiful thought-out pictures, but how hard really is it without focus peeking? Are these little focus point dots in OVF very helpful?
>>
>>3121770
Yes, they stop glare and I don't have to fuck with front caps.
>>
>>3121757
Thanks again for your opinion.
Since im visiting Japan next year we could go out take some shots if you want .i guess its good to know some locals

[email protected]
Drop me a message if youre up
>>
is now a good time to go mirrorless?
>>
>>3121844
Mirrorless has come a long way since the early days. It is the future, you'd be stupid not to take it seriously considering the amount of technological advances that comes with it.
I personally wouldn't want to be stuck with a clunky and heavy DSLR as an everyday carry.
>>
>>3121848
>>3121848
is sony or fuji going to be better for photos?
>>
>>3121850
Each system has its pros and cons.
Stop being a lazy piece of shit. Do your own research, go to stores and try out the cameras before deciding on one that fits your needs.
>>
>>3121850
I own a Sony A7Rii + 24-70mm f2.8 GM, a Fuji X100F and a Ricoh GR II.
They're all great cameras with their strengths and weakness, what I use depends on the situation.
Usually its just my X100F around my neck and the Ricoh GR II on my wrist. If I need a zoom lens or something a bit more weather sealed then the A7Rii will replace the X100F.
>>
>>3121794
is this bait?
>>
so let me get this straight... I can get shitty, soft lenses and pass them off as having character?
>>
>>3121949

It is called the Fuji Glow.

Combine that with max apertures that are wide enough to look good ok a spec sheet (but useless until stepped down to f/4), and you can sell shitty crop lenses for good fullframe lens prices.
>>
when using an ai/ais lens on a nikon dslr, does the aperture ring stop down the lens? or does it only stop down right before taking a shot and when using dof preview?
>>
>>3121770
Only for protecting the lens glass when using large/heavy zooms on my sling. I don't think I've ever had a problem with glare when not using one.
>>
>>3121770
It helps contrast and color rendition and it is much easier to put them on the lens instead of carrying them separately.
>>
>>3120010
i don't get it, how do modern APS-C compare to D90's one ?
>>
>tfw only have a 50mm equivalent lens and want something else
>>
File: 81HbTW10E6L._SL1500_.jpg (202KB, 1500x1278px) Image search: [Google]
81HbTW10E6L._SL1500_.jpg
202KB, 1500x1278px
I've been thinking about upgrading from a D3300 to a Panasonic GH4. Mainly interested in filming shit with it. Is it worth the price (used) ? from what I've seen, it seems like a fantastic camera, and is excellent video quality.
>>
best compact camera for nature shots around the £300 mark?
>>
>>3122464
throw in a little more and get a6000
>>
>>3122466
>a little more
>£250 more on amazon
can only shift on the budget by like £20-30 max
>>
>>3122467
in a similar boat too, it sucks
you can go for a5000 but no viewfinder sucks
>>
>>3122468
new to /p/ what's the deal with viewfinders, how are they better than the LCD screen?
>>
>>3122469
whether they are "better" is subjective, but shooting from an LCD at all times is annoying, especially if it's bright outside
>>
>>3122470
alright thanks, would you mind checking out these two cameras and telling me which is better (a5000 - DSCHX90) sorry for needing so much help
>>
>>3122472
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/
>>
>>3122473
thanks
>>
>>3122474
Too bad sony has no lens
>>
I just ordered a Hadley One. Did I get memed on?
>>
>>3122487
you sure did
>>
>>3122495
What should I have bought instead?
>>
>>3122487
Its a great bag, I like the design personally and have been enjoying mine.
I can carry a mirrorless camera, my 13 inch MacBook Pro + charger, and still have room for other stuff.
I like how its fairly weather resistant as well, I have it in the fibrenyte material.
>>
>>3119051
I've had one of these for years. Still use it. I like pentax for the billions of cheap prime lenses on ebay. Mostly use it with a 50mm f1.4 I snagged for 50 bucks.

There's better pentax's available though. It'd have to be pretty cheap to justify getting this model in 2017.
>>
I regret buying a camera that can only go to 1600 iso. I thought it was good enough.
>>
File: DSCF5477.jpg (260KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5477.jpg
260KB, 1000x663px
Help me /p/, you're my only hope.

I'm trying to decide between D610 and D750, the problem is, I will only have so much money to spend. If I'll get 610, I'd be able to buy better lens, like Sigma 35/1.4 and with 750 I'll have to settle for something less stellar for now, probably older Nikon's 35/2 D. Better lens is potentially better ivestment, but I won't upgrade the body for some time, that's for sure.

I'm interested in stills (90% of my things) and low light capabilities of said sets. Which would be better?

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-A1
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee 4.2.1148
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image Width1000
Image Height663
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2017:05:26 18:59:44
Exposure Time0.4 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/9.8
Brightness2.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length23.20 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeManual
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeAperture Prior AE
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusBlur Warning
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>3122743
Back in the film days 800 was already extremely grainy and 400 was considered a high-speed film. With this in mind, you should concentrate on two things to imrove your phography:
>git
>gud
>>
>>3122758
D610 is the better camera for you. The D750 has a lot of nice features but if mainly shoot stills, the two cameras are practically identical. Basically there are two reasons why you would want the D750 and those are video and moving subjects (sports/wildlife).
>>
>>3122764
So now only the good part of choosing the lens, thanks for the reply!
>>
>>3122771
Just a quick note on that. To me it seems that Sigma optimizes their lenses to look great in reviews and tests, i.e. putting a lot of emphasis on things like sharpness and distortion correction. However, for some reason I still prefer the rendering of Nikon lenses. Another common comparison is Sigma Art versus Zeiss and again the Zeiss rendering looks more pleasant to me. What I'm trying to say is that there's more to a lense's quality than online reviews often indicate. A great example is the new 58 mm Nikkor, which was met with a lot of disappointment, when it turned out that it wasn't as sharp as people had hoped. The design is such that all of it's features simply aren't or even can't be measured, so a lot of people dismissed the lens without even looking at the photos taken with it. So look at sample photos more than charts.
>>
>>3122809
SO MUCH THIS
>>
>>3122833
https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01LYCAFFN/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=55U9FSWOPG95&coliid=I1RQIYI4DNIZ5

160 bucks for a TTL flash with transmitter gels and softbox?
>>
Nikon 17-55 2.8 still relevant? I don't think lack of VR woould cause me problems cause I'm usually above 1/100 anyway. 600€ for a 2-3-year-old lens.
>>
>>3122878
Look into the sigma one. Half of that money for roughly the same performance
>>
>>3122878
That's a good price. The optics are still decent and the build quality is excellent. There aren't really any comparable lenses, so go for it.
>>
>>3122887
>>3122889

Thank you both, I need a replacement camera and this would be a ready-to-go kit /D7100+17-55 for 900-1000€ so it piqued my interest. Gonna look around more at reviews and other options as well.
>>
File: _C8S7418_.jpg (4MB, 3522x2348px) Image search: [Google]
_C8S7418_.jpg
4MB, 3522x2348px
I'm starting to get a little more used to this big 28-300mm Tamron lens. After doing a bit of reading I think this lens was not released in very high numbers in the United States, if it was released at all. There's a review here:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/tamron/af28-300mm-f-3-5-6-3-ld-aspherical-if/prd_83613_3128crx.aspx

Going by the reviews, my own experiences, and reviews of similar lenses from the same time period I think I have accept that it just is not a sharp lens at all. The Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200 ED kit lens I was using with my Nikon D1 was giving me better results. I think that must be a pretty sharp kit lens. But.. that took some time to learn, and this big lens too will take another few outings to get the feel of where it takes the best photos.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2017:07:30 00:03:21
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Metering ModePartial
Focal Length78.00 mm
Image Width3522
Image Height2348
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
guys don't miss this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-70-300mm-1-4-5-6-LD-Tele-Macro-1-2-camera-lens-Canon-zoom-572d/401372285107?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649
>>
File: DSC_0048.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0048.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>3123245

Yea I have one of those too.

Mine was intended for early digital, but I hear it performs a lot better on film. Might have to give it a try later.

Equipment MakeSony
Camera Model402SO
Camera Software32.1.D.0.284_0_f900
Image Created2016:06:14 14:34:25
Exposure Time1/32 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating640
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.60 mm
Image Width3840
Image Height2160
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3122809
I've just seen few Sigma reviews, you're right with focus. I was also looking at Zeiss lenses, especially 35mm Distagon f/2 and Macro Planar 50mm f/2. Reviews are quite optimistic, my only doubt is my lack of manual focusing skills. Mirrorless has peaking, but people before mirrorless were able to focus as good.

Is it hard to develop, say, 80% accuracy with your daily photos?
>>
>>3123332

I get about 98% accuracy with a split circle focus screen on my old manual camera.

Closer to 80% with focus peaking.
>>
>>3123332
At least with Nikon you can use the AF sensor with manual focus lenses. You just set the body to manual mode and a focus assist appears in the viewfinder.
>>
Are Pentax Limited lenses the ultimate red pill? I kind of regret buying a Nikon years ago.
>>
>>3123597
Pentax lenses are great and often underated/overlooked.
The Pentax K1 is a formidable camera, I'd take it over Canon's or Nikon's current lineup. Unfortunately it came a little too late for it to make any serious dent in the market.
>>
File: oops2.jpg (25KB, 610x172px) Image search: [Google]
oops2.jpg
25KB, 610x172px
is this a good deal

PhotographerMe
>>
>>3123597
Limiteds are nice lenses that are good to use, feel nice both in AF or manual and have nice images.
Nothing really out of the ordinary or any stellar charts and numbers, just an allround nice package for your photography.
>>
>>3122809
> A great example is the new 58 mm Nikkor, which was met with a lot of disappointment, when it turned out that it wasn't as sharp as people had hoped.
Yea, justifiably so! Sure, it's better than a kit lens. But it's also pretty shit considering its hefty price tag and this very common focal length.

Other lenses will provide a better mix of bokeh effects and correct imaging capability, usually also cheaper.

> The design is such that all of it's features simply aren't or even can't be measured
Not really, no. Everything worth measuring can be measured. The majority of attributes still relevant to a digital workflow even get measured pretty systematically.
>>
>>3123716
Like I said...
>>
Is there any mirrorless that provides the same amount of Image quality and low light performance as the now a bit old but still good (in my regards) D7100 and ofc for bout the same pricetag (I accept used too), meaning 750€
>>
File: 51af+1HIv+L._SY400_.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
51af+1HIv+L._SY400_.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
Is this one still good, or any known bigger flaws that are resolved when I would get for 500 bucks the a7ii
Pic related is 920 case only wich makes it pretty cheap for a Sony so may this be a good buy
>>
File: _C8S7796.jpg (2MB, 3522x2348px) Image search: [Google]
_C8S7796.jpg
2MB, 3522x2348px
The sensor on my camera is pretty dirty. Not sure what I want to do. Will one of those dust blowers help this or do I need to get something else?

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2017:07:31 12:06:16
Exposure Time1 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/22.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length28.00 mm
Image Width3504
Image Height2336
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3123866
Wow that's one really dirty sensor. I don't think a dust blower will be effective enough in getting all that out.
You should look into getting it professionally cleaned by the manufacturer of your camera.

Be careful when you switch lenses next time.
>>
>>3123877
I have only had it a week, this is from a previous owner.
>>
>>3123879

Yea it is pretty terrible.

When the molt on my slr disintegrated it wasn't even that bad.
>>
>>3123881
I used Digital Photo Professional 4 to create a dust removal map and tried applying it to a dirty looking image. Didn't really work too well. I guess it is painstaking manual removal for the time being. The dirt doesn't show up as badly at wider apertures.
>>
>>3123866
Why not just turn on the sensor dust cleaning feature? I have it set on mine at turning on and at off. Never had any sensor dust issue.
>>
File: 149_9079.jpg (746KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
149_9079.jpg
746KB, 2304x1728px
I have more respect for this Kodak Easyshare K700 I got last year now that I have learned more about photography. A 35mm equivalent f/2.8 point and shoot I can stick in my pocket was a really good deal for $12.

Equipment MakeEASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Camera ModelKODAK Z700 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Horizontal Resolution230 dpi
Vertical Resolution230 dpi
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceTungsten
Focal Length6.00 mm
Image Width2304
Image Height1728
Exposure Index400
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
>>3123987
My phone is 35mm equivalent, f1.9 and takes massively better photos.
>>
File: apsc.jpg (1MB, 3337x2656px) Image search: [Google]
apsc.jpg
1MB, 3337x2656px
>>3123866
Buy a cleaning kit with wet swabs for your sensor type/manufacturer. On my old D40 I used cheap ones from ebay without problem. Its pretty much just some lint-free cloth on a stick soaked in isopropyl, but the fact that its cut to size makes it a lot easier than jury-rigging something yourself.

And you should always have a cheap blower in your kit as well, they cost nothing (again, ebay) and removes non-sticky residue fairly well.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image Width3337
Image Height2656
Compression SchemeUnknown
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2016:01:04 13:46:22
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/9.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length93.00 mm
Image Width3337
Image Height2656
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3118466
24-70, then 70-200
Use 3rd party probably cost less than 3k and will last 10 years
Thread posts: 408
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.