[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Candid/Street Photography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 14

File: DSC_0122.jpg (427KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0122.jpg
427KB, 1000x1000px
I've been working on my photography for about five months now. I have a wide range of subjects, from models to buildings to statues (I photograph a LOT of statues). Seems like most of my favorite shots are of people, though.

I've worked with about 5 models so far (mostly friends) and the shoots always seems to go disastrously wrong. Like, I'll spill the fuck out of my spaghetti, make the model uncomfortable, and end up with about 3-5 salvageable shots out of almost 200. I don't know how the fuck to work with models besides telling them to "act natural."

However, I absolutely love taking candid shots of people, especially when they don't know they're being photographed. You get a sense of truth in their relaxed state that you just can't replicate with a model who's conscious of the camera. But it seems risky- I live in New York, plenty of people here are edged to start a fight over anything.

Is there any reading material on methods and the ethics of candid street photography? Any good candid photographers I should study?

Thanks for any help. Gonna bump with some of my favorite candid shots, crit would be appreciated.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.10.1 (Windows)
PhotographerTB Johnson (@tbjson)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern788
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:07:21 01:45:14
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Street photography is a shitty meme and I would advise you to avoid it.

I'm not USA but I assume it's similar law wise in that you have no right to privacy in a public place, including photographs. Once you get in a private mall or something things change a little.

If you're worried about peoples reactions start by focusing on architecture, graffiti, traffic lights etc and work your way down until you feel comfortable a little invisible in your area.

Not sure but I assume NYC would have a few tough guys who'd confront you if you shot their photo. It's legal but not really "ok" as in just not cricket in a lot of places to just walk up to someone and tsk tsk tsk in their face. If you're subtle and not too close and not a fucking creep talking upskirts you should be fine most of the time.

That being said some people do enjoy the small interactions (from what I've heard), so trying to start a small chat and ask if you can take a few snaps is ok if the feel is right, but you're no longer shooting street photography at this point its just a portrait and probably a shitty one.

I can't recommend any reading or people to follow because street photography is a shitty meme and you should stick to getting your other shoots instead if you want to get better at photography. Practise composure exposure etc on an inanimate object until you've got it down so you have less to worry about with a model. From there the best advice I can give is have something in mind, if it's just a few certain shots for the area your in, or a certain feel. Something that's fun is to get some bonding in with your model before actually shooting. Take a few more candid shots of them flipping you off and making a stupid face, ask them if they can do a handstand or something. Will lighten the mode and relax both of you. Will keep the camera in their mind, but make them less afraid of it.
>>
>>3118164
I might add a good place to start to feel more at home shooting around people is taking your shit to a place where photography is something everyone does and start there before you move into just the street. So like, fucking I dunno, fairs, festivals, the zoo etc.
>>
File: DSC_0295.jpg (141KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0295.jpg
141KB, 1000x667px
>>3118164
>ask if you can take a few snaps
Nah, that would ruin the point. Then they're just a model, and like you said, probably a shitty one.

The point is to capture people acting normal, not mugging for the camera. Perfect example is this pic; I felt bad for taking it and so bought some food for the couple and asked to take more. The shots I took after were fucking atrocious.

As for >>3118172 you're right, a good chunk of my library is from parades, but I'm talking more candid stuff like pic related.

Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.8
Color Filter Array Pattern800
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)150 mm
Image Created2017:07:21 02:48:58
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/4.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/4.8
Exposure Bias2.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3118176
There is something about the fact that you have this at all that makes me irrationally upset.

I guess I'm just not cut out for candid photography.
>>
you need senpai
oh-hi.info
>>
File: 1496729604701.jpg (345KB, 635x960px) Image search: [Google]
1496729604701.jpg
345KB, 635x960px
>>3118152
>one man carrying around 200-300 5.56 rounds on his chest in Manhattan.
>while wearing minimal kevlar
>>
File: more like vulture amirite.jpg (16KB, 448x152px) Image search: [Google]
more like vulture amirite.jpg
16KB, 448x152px
>>3118176
>"""candid""" pictures of homeless
Let me guess, the previous one was backs of people waiting for the bus, and the one after was an overflowing trash can?

PhotographerJaehoon
>>
>>3118176
>come to thread
>actually want to help
>see picture of homeless guy
>close tab
>>
>>3118176
That guy needs to get a fucking job.
>>
wew lad
>>
>>3118176
>homeless person

literally the most cliché (not to mention tasteless and exploitative) photo you could take. kys
>>
Take a look into muhmegapickles, hanoian and mirari's candids. they are trips with good material
>>
File: DSC_0005.jpg (295KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0005.jpg
295KB, 1000x663px
>>3118219
The NYPD here is so over-budgeted and under-trained it hurts. They seriously have fucking tanks.

>>3118224
This was my next one. Yeah, I know, I'm a fucking hipster but I'm still learning.

>>3118283
>>3118320
>>3118353
Alright, geez, that's the only shot I had of homeless people anyway. I thought the composition looked nice

>>3118370
>tripfags
>good material
oxymoron

Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.3
Color Filter Array Pattern776
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)450 mm
Image Created2017:07:21 14:16:41
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating6400
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3118432
needs more bricks above the window. Composition looks weird cut off at the top.
>>
>>3118432
I was thinking about helping you. But you just failed hard at any attempt to learn more.

yeah, you suck.
>>
>>3118484
Thanks m8, I'll fix it when I get home

>>3118491
I was mostly just kidding about the tripfag bit but it's true that the quality of most the tripfags here is wildly over blown. I googled the first guy and the only shot was a canted snapshit of some ugly couple.
>>
File: Nightlife.jpg (593KB, 647x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Nightlife.jpg
593KB, 647x1000px
All my candids look like this

Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.12 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Color Filter Array Pattern818
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:07:22 14:37:27
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating2500
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3118176
You'd be better off finding sleeping hobos. And always pay for their picture if you take it. Whatever you're hiding behind in this image really takes away from it. And try to give them something anon, even I leave at least a dollar for every person passed out in the gutter I take a picture of.
>>
>>3119066
>Giving homeless people money
Worse than not giving them anything. 9 times out of 10 your cash is getting spent on drugs/alcohol. Save up your cash and give it to a homeless shelter, that way you're actually helping and not just doing nothing to give yourself that warm fuzzy charitable feeling.
Besides, I said in my post I gave them some warm food.
>>
>>3119063
If you brought down the yellows in this image to a more neutral tone I would literally save it.
>>
File: 1500748866848.jpg (546KB, 647x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1500748866848.jpg
546KB, 647x1000px
>>3119063
This is kinda how I meant but yano, spend more time than 10 seconds on it.

Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Color Filter Array Pattern906
Image Width647
Image Height1000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:07:23 01:38:28
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating2500
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width647
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3119063
T-Mobile sign is an eyesore. It doesn't help that the subject isn't very interesting.
>>
>>3118152
>candid photography
>not creepshots
>>
>>3118172
This is good advice. Anywhere people are expecting to relax and encounter strangers and surprises. I shoot public events for gov't and non-profits organizers. So much easier than random street stuff during which I have had my life threatened (South Beach).

And forget the anon perseverating about street meme. Talk to Gary Winograd or Weegee.
>>
File: P1030124.jpg (284KB, 1396x1396px) Image search: [Google]
P1030124.jpg
284KB, 1396x1396px

Camera ModelDMC-GX7
Camera SoftwarePixlr
Equipment MakePanasonic
Image Width1396
Image Height1396
Focal Length25.00 mm
FlashNo Flash
White BalanceManual
Exposure Time3/2000 sec
ISO Speed Rating200
F-Numberf/13.0
>>
>>3118152
Look at photography books often. Thats where most great photographers learn. Watch videos of people like Winogrand, Meyerowitz, Kalvar, and others shooting in the street so you can see how others are shooting and framing.

My personal favorites working now are Andre Wagner, Daniel Arnold, Julian Master and Martin Cartagena.

As for the past:
Richard Kalvar
Richard Sandler
Vivian Maier
Mark Cohen
Cristobal Hara

Fuck what people say about you being a creep. Just go shoot. Part of taking candid and sometimes confrontational photos is that you want the photo bad enough that you're willing to risk confrontation. Most people that dog on street photography come from a place of reservation and simply don't want to take these photos, and couldn't if they tried. if you really want to start shooting street photos, start by studying people in public. Watch them for sudden movements you find interesting. My favorite part about shooting in public is finding emotion in people's faces and their interactions with others. so look for stuff like that if it interests you.

Also if you are shooting NYC, just run up and down 5th Ave as much as you can and you'll surely find some amazing scenes and interactions. Generally nobody fucking cares and is in so much of a hurry they barely realize. Also pre focusing helps a lot so you aren't focusing much while framing.
>>
>>3119315
Get closer! Try to shoot during the day too when more people are out and you can fill your frame better. Also use a wider lens. I shoot with a 28 strictly which forces me to get closer and fill my frame more. I'd rec getting a prime lens so you have to frame with your feet and hands, not the zoom.
>>
>>3120891
>Vivian Maier
>5th Ave
5th Ave -
get off at A train West 4th St stop
walk over to Washington Square Park
Lurk and shoot
walk up 5th Ave all the way to 59th St Columbus Circle, zig-zagging to 8th Ave back to 5th Ave several times
so much to see and photograph
lots of glass
Don't be afraid to get people's faces - most of them don't give a flying fuck - the ones who do care get un-interesting immediately.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Image Width2000
Image Height1318
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution50 dpi
Vertical Resolution50 dpi
Image Created2017:07:26 01:53:48
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2000
Image Height1318
>>
>>3120899
I've never actually been to NYC, but most of my friends that shoot live there and shoot on 5th daily. I've heard its a photographer's paradise.
>>
>>3118172
I'm a gigantic sperg. I've asked people at conventions if I could take their photo with little to no problem. But when I get back out on the street I'm filled with this overwhelming fear of men punching me in the face and women threatening to call the cops. I dunno, I feel like it wouldn't be much of an issue for a normal person to talk themselves out of that shit, but I'd probably literally just run away and end up making myself look even for guilty.
>>
>>3120893
Why does it matter whether he uses a zoom lens or a prime lens? If the goal is to compose, then both can perfectly get the job done.

It's 2017. Primes aren't inherently better than zooms in every way anymore. Zooms can be just as sharp nowadays.

Zoom
>heavier, bulkier
>more versatile
Prime
>lighter, smaller
>can often offer shallower depth of field (if this is important to you, than there are also zooms with large apertures that are constant throughout their range)

Primes are great for candids due to their size, but if he likes zooms then there are plenty of fast ones that can get the job done too
>>
>>3120902
Are you approaching people in busy public spaces? Cuz if they are alone then yeah its much creepier to them. Also depends on where you live and are shooting. and dude you can blast people in the face with a flash, all they are gonna do is yell at you.
>>
>>3120904
>Are you approaching people in busy public spaces?
I don't approach people on the street at all. I feel like I'd have to explain to them why I would want to take a photo of them in the first place and I don't have the social skills for that.

>all they are gonna do is yell at you
But I don't want to be yelled at.
>>
>>3120903
I'm just saying what works for me. I've seen people like Christopher Anderson who can compose street photos well with a tighter focal length, but what I want from photo is to feel like i'm there. Like gilden says, I want to smell the street. and if you are far away with a zoom I usually feel detached. I also think primes are good for learning, so you don't have to think about focal length, you just compose you shot. Also sharpness is so overdone with newer lenses. I'm more looking for character and color from a lens, which i get plenty of from my biogon.
>>
>>3120906
I'd say just go for it man. Just give it a try. To me street photography is about being close to scene and individual. Being yelled at sucks, but its worth it if you photo you got was good. and sometimes you are gonna get yelled at, but if you do it during the day with a busy crowd on 5th and you move at a steady pace, then nobody is gonna say a thing and they'll just go on minding their own business.
>>
>>3120899
>the ones who do care get uninteresting immediately
I love the mental gymnastics street photographers go through to justify their craft.

Droning on about capturing character, yet completely dismissing an entire person just because they weren't receptive to you creeping on them. How arrogant do you have to be to think like that?
>Waaaah! They don't appreciate my photography! It's high art! They must be completely BORING normies with uninteresting lives if they get annoyed!

>>3120907
>like Gilden
>I want to smell the street
Dear fucking God. Street photographers, I swear.

How the fuck do you guys manage to take a fun hobby and turn it into a circlejerk where you take yourselves so seriously?
>>
>>3120903
>>3120907
Primes are essential to use - it forces me to frame the shot correctly.
When I work in film, what I shoot is what I print.
No cropping.
Period.
I get it right in the camera or it gets discarded.
I have a lot of shots that I don't use when doing street / candid portraitures because I don't feel that I framed it right in the camera.
I am very anal about getting it right in the camera.
Sometimes I do take snapshots, just to take snapshots - like my wife or daughter and the cats and people I know. but with those, they know I am shooting them and they are looking at the camera. it's different.
>>
>>3120912
>mental Gymnastics
>Droning on...
it's not that - they put up thier hand or turn thier back which will ruin a shot, so I just don't take the shot.
Next time I'm in NYC, if you are there, I would like to get together IRL.
>>
>>3120913
I'm sorry, I don't understand how a zoom disables your ability to do any of that. Some of them even have focal length markers and a locking mechanism.

I can lock mine at 18, 23, 35, & 55. From there, I can treat it just like a prime and use my feet & hands to frame. If I'm extremely lazy, I can use focal lengths in between those numbers instead of using my feet.

The only downside is that my setup is heavier and the zoom isn't as fast as some of my primes with ridiculous apertures.
>>
>>3120924
>my setup is heavier
My Minolta is a deadly weapon
>>
>>3120912
I don't get why you have to knock someone for being passionate. Just because you might not have a deep connection to this style of photography doesn't mean you have to belittle others for liking it. We aren't talking about the ethics of candid photography, we are talking about getting better and improving on something we love. I think you're taking it a little too seriously yourself, and maybe you've lost what photography is about, I'm taking photos for myself and no one else. And Its just a photo, and if I want a photo of someone who is oblivious to my camera, then so be it. And if they get upset I'll usually explain myself. I understand why someone would be upset about me not asking permission, but it ruins the photo, and honestly I could care less.

>>3120924
I really want the smallest camera possible so its much less conspicuous, so zooms are out for me. My little zeiss lens is about 1.5 inches long compared to something thats usually around 4-5.
>>
>>3120938
>and honestly I could care less
I love how when I call you out, you get upset with your "you're just a hater" bullshit. It's almost like you're a person with feelings and emotions, right? Just like those people that you take photos of, right? But I guess to you they're just subjects. And yet, when one of them gets upset you have the audacity to say
>I could care less

>This is my passion! I love it! I don't care if you get butthurt because of it! I'm going to shove it down your throat along with my cock!

You wanna step on some toes for your hobby? Fine. But at least be fucking humble about it.
You're taking THEIR photo for your YOUR use.
They didn't ASK for your bullshit.
So if you rub any of them the wrong way, it's your responsibility TO CARE and hash things out like a decent fucking adult.
The world doesn't give a fuck about how important you think your hobby is or how much you're trying to improve.
The way you interact with those people is so much more important than what comes out your camera at the end of the day.
>>
>>3120962
And like I said, I do explain myself and try my best to make them less worried and understand why I'm taking a photo of them. And almost every time it ends up being a non issue. I just personally don't think its such a big probably when I'm at roughly 5ft away from you with a camera not acting threatening at all. Maybe I shouldn't of said I could care less, cuz thats not true. But I certainly don't think its as invasive as some people claim, at least the way I photograph. Its a photo and you're in public space. as long as I'm not stalking you or harassing you then I don't see the big problem, if you are in public then you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. But I definitely respect opposing opinions, which in most regards are more reasonable then someone who just wants to take photos.

If I could get the same photos by asking for permission, I would, but thats just not possible.
>>
File: creep.jpg (147KB, 662x1024px) Image search: [Google]
creep.jpg
147KB, 662x1024px
>>3119945
Hot centaur ASS!
>>
>>3121407
oh fuck yeah
>>
File: aDSC07846.jpg (322KB, 669x1000px) Image search: [Google]
aDSC07846.jpg
322KB, 669x1000px
Welcome to New York
It's been waiting for you
Welcome to New York
Welcome to New York

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSLR-A100
Camera SoftwareDSLR-A100 v1.04
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.5
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:05:01 13:05:23
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness6.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceShade
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width3872
Image Height2592
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: aDSC07858.jpg (201KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
aDSC07858.jpg
201KB, 1000x669px

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSLR-A100
Camera SoftwareDSLR-A100 v1.04
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)300 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:05:01 13:08:16
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating160
Brightness8.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceShade
Focal Length200.00 mm
Image Width3872
Image Height2592
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3121465
>>3121466
Who're these clowns?
>>
>>3121574

>clowns

welp, for a nazi you're not a particularly informed one. Tho I'm unsure why I'm surprised desu.
>>
File: qijq.jpg (11KB, 180x216px) Image search: [Google]
qijq.jpg
11KB, 180x216px
>>3118370
>look into muhmegapickles, hanoian and mirari's candids. they are trips with good material
So you must be either muhmegapickles or mirari, and also dreaming btw.
>>
>>3118152
You could just ask them for permission to use their photo after taking it. Keep notes of the ones you're allowed to develop/keep.
>>
>>3118370
>mirari
>implying he's not worse than fucking sugar
lmao holy fuck, I wonder who you could be
>>
>>3118432
that pigeon sitting next to the lady is pretty cute, its like they're best friends
>>
>>3121601
Mirari's candids and riots photo were good. He's just deluded about his landscapes and street.
>>
>>3119252
Nine times out of ten my money is going towards drugs/alcohol. My boss doesn't ask what I spend my money on, and I'm not going to ask some homeless dude what he's going to spend his quarter on.
>>
>>3122486
The most deluded here must be you.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.