/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sqtddtot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 16

For educational purposes only.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
I have a request for artistic nudes (or close to). I don't really do bodies, mostly landscape and pets. What sort of settings should I aim for? Light? I typically do all natural light but I want to have that softness that you get in boudoir shots. What steps can I take to make it not cringe?
>>
Should I shoot with constant ISO or put it on auto?
>>
>>3114391
im no pro but maybe id suggest getting experience with bodies in clothing before shooting nude
>>
>>3114583
i don't think there's really a definitive answer to that. you should read up on the exposure triangle if you haven't yet to get an idea of balancing iso with the other settings
>>
>>3114583

Depends on your needs. Constant ISO is more consistent between frames and allows for more creative exposure, but you have to constantly futz with your settings which might lead to missed shots. Auto ISO means that you'll get the shot without a whole lot of fuss, but you are constantly fighting against the meter.

I use auto ISO when I have two variables set in stone. I have my shutter speed set to 1/250 so that I can freeze all action, and aperture set to f/8 for a deep depth of field. Auto ISO means that I can go through pretty much any lighting scenario and not have to fuck around with settings, which frees me up to concentrate on the photography and not the camera.

On the other hand, I might use constant ISO with the same settings if I want to meter for, say, direct sunlight because I know it's not going to change for the next four hours. That also creates an avenue for dramatic exposure where, say, someone emerges out of a deep shadow into sunlight. Auto ISO would try to meter for the shadows and would probably overexpose your subject.
>>
asked in the video thread, might as well try here too
just tried making a lut in photoshop for the first time, put it on a 15 second clip in premiere and now my computer is shitting itself to render it.

what kind of gpu specs do i need to work with luts and have the render times be reasonable?
>>
>>3114676
>im no pro but maybe id suggest getting experience with bodies in clothing before shooting nude

But the request is for nude. If I had it my way, I'd stick to what I really enjoy which is landscape, macro and pets.
>>
It's been a year since I decided to try taking up photography as a hobby, and over six months since I signed up for Instagram. What do I have to do to actually get comfortable with photography? I feel like I'm lost a sea, doggie paddling in no specific direction...

Sure I've gotten better, but I still feel lost.

Does anyone know the feel? Am I retarded? What the fuck. I just want some legit guidance :(
>>
anyone have any recs for good brand nd filters? also unsure how strong to get. was thinking about between 5-7 stops. 3 stops seems too weak and I could just get that by fiddling with settings anyway

also, tips on using nd filters greatly appreciated
>>
i'll piggyback on this >>3115055 and ask if anyone owns the cameron variable nd filter and if it's worth buying for $100 canadabux
>>
I can't get photoshop to align a pano that I'm trying to make, I load them into the stack like I've done a hundred times before - and then nothing, no error or weird hitchups it just doesn't do anything.

Thoughts? I'm trying to troubleshoot this but it's pretty hard to google "Photoshop does nothing"

Or stitching program alternative suggestions would also be nice.
>>
>>3116591
microsoft ice
>>
>>3116834
It works! Thanks my man
>>
>>3114309
On Amazon, there are listings for the "International version" of camera bodies and lenses. Is there anything to be wary about other than the lack of a warranty? e.g., will an International version lens have issues working with a domestic version body?
>>
>>3114391
You're going to want lights, a reflector at the very least. It's not my area of expertise by any means but you're going to struggle if you don't have some way to achieve uniform lighting on your subject. The boudoir aesthetic especially is going to need flashes with diffusers
>>
How often do you remove pictures from your camera?

I've just started and took about 500 on my recent holiday. Do you get home and transfer them all to a computer/external hard drive and have an empty camera every time you leave?

Sorting through them all is like a full time job. Good fun though. It's weirdly satisfying deleting a load of bad pictures and learning from it though.
>>
>>3117237
I dump everything to a folder, delete duplicates and absolute stinkers and then copy and organize in different folders by event or theme the ones I really like in order to process them. The ones in the dumpster are usually kept unprocessed to save time and not turning the task into a chore.

If the SD card becomes full, I just delete everything as all that stuff is in my /pics/dumpster/ folder with up to date backups.
>>
>>3117244
Thanks. I intend to just copy them all in to one folder, sort them in to the day I took them, then delete them. Filtering between Raw and jpg is a nightmare though. I should probably set it up to save jpg to the second card.

Fortunately, because I'm still learning, I like to think that this situation will be one of the incentives to think more before shooting. I'd rather come back with fifty good pictures than 500 of varying degrees of quality.
>>
>>3117247
At the very least force yourself to dump all the new pictures to your PC, delete the stinkers and copy the good ones to /201707FieldTrip/ or whatever as soon as you arrive home. If you procrastinate on this part, it will be a fucking chore later down the road.
>>
>>3117251
I got home last night and I'm already on it. And then comes the post-processing...
>>
>>3117252
You can do that later. The point is that it's much easier and pleasant to post-process only the handful of pics you really like and willing to show/share/upload after doing a stringent cherry picking than a batch of 500 because you spent the whole afternoon in spray-and-pray mode.
>>
>>3117253
Managed to narrow it down to 297. Fuck sake. For tourist shots for showing family I'll keep them, but I'll probably pick about thirty to actually edit and upload. Nobody on Facebook or wherever is going to look at 297 pictures unless they're a madcunt.
>>
Are dimensions an issue when cropping? I have an image where I need to remove a person's shoulder from the bottom-right corner of the shot, but do I need to keep the image in proportion, or just do whatever makes the image look good? I intended to just cut the side off because if I cut off both sides evenly the subject would be off centre.
>>
When it comes to post-processing, do you worry about how real the image looks? For example, I have an image of fire dancer. It looks like shit. I've edited it in such a way that I think it looks alright. Some other pictures I've taken don't look very good in a natural (or somewhat natural) state, but I can make them look reasonably nice in an obviously edited way (intense colours, strong contrast).

I get that photography is, in a sense, just about "getting the shot", but at what point does it pass manipulation and become digital art rather than photography to you?
>>
>>3117312
>at what point does it pass manipulation and become digital art

Usually at the point where it looks like straight-up photomanipulation instead of a post-processed pic. Think the Jason Lanier shots where he just cranks all the sliders to the maximum so the subjects look like cut and pasted on top of a scene shot in another planet.

I'm not a fan of extremely retouched pics in the photography field so take this with a grain of salt but if you have to go to such lengths in order to make your shot appealing it's most likely because you're just polishing and adding glitter to a turd.
>>
File: _DSC0645.jpg (864KB, 1000x948px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0645.jpg
864KB, 1000x948px
>>3117314
Thanks.

My fire dancer picture, for example, has loads of grain and an ugly background. I cropped out a lot of the background and focused on the torso and the fire. It now looks like this. I'm not saying it's a finished product, or even something I intend to keep or publish (I'm still new to photography and editing) but it got to a point where I thought "This is no longer a photograph" and I wondered how far people were willing to take editing before it became a waste of time.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.7 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern814
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:07:19 17:33:49
Exposure Time0.6 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating51200
Lens Aperturef/14.0
Exposure Bias1.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFlash
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3117269
My mom will comment on every single one of your 297 pics

Anyway, 500 ain't that bad. Shot maybe 3k pics last vacation. Since this was family level stuff maybe 750 were keepers
>>
I couldn't find any relevant information for film cameras, but I'm sure I fucked up. I cleaned my focusing screen and prism with dust off last week, and i've been getting terrible light meter readings since then. Obviously that sounds like a terrible idea, but I want to make sure that's actually the culprit, and not anything else. Can dust-off affect the cell that picks up light? How fucked am I in the long run if I send it in to get repaired? For now I'll practice sunny 16 more, but I'm not comfortable with it yet as I've been reliant on my meter. I have an Olympus OM-1, everything else is pretty much pristine other than the light meter giving me problems when I first got it, so anyone who knows about this camera I'd be very appreciative if you could help me out narrowing down what went wrong.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Speedlite-Panasonic-Olympus-Cameras/dp/B01N76K0SD/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1500516059&sr=1-4&keywords=flash&refinements=p_36%3A9900-10000

is this a good offer for a t3i?
>>
How can you nail flash every time with a film camera? Planning on using a TLR with shitty fixed angle electronic flash inside a convention hall. Do you just reference the distance/aperture/ISO on the back of the flash and set the camera and flash to M mode?
>>
>>3117635
Some seventies and eighties flash units have a built-in meter for automatic mode. You'll set ISO on a dial, and maybe a half power / full power setting, and the diagram tells you what aperture to use (and gives some indication of distance to zone V exposure). Shutter speed will be at the sync speed, or any speed for a leaf shutter (as on a TLR). The flash will then emit the correct length of a pulse according to feedback from its own sensor, hence "automatic".

For fully manual flashes (or ones that're so recent they're either manual or camera TTL only), you'll typically adjust aperture according to distance. Or most likely, consider your shots and have a couple of presets on a cheat sheet; it's OK to be off by 2/3rds of a stop in either direction.
>>
How many megapixels is human vision?
>>
>>3117597
I would say just use a phone app for metering, and run some test shots through your next roll just to make sure it's focusing correctly. Shouldn't be a huge worry. It's pretty easy to guess exposures for shadows once you're used to doing it.
>>
>>3117929
Yeah my last couple of shots on my roll are test shots, and my phone screen is busted so I'm buying a handheld today. I'll start taking notes on what works best so I can get a feeling for it, thanks man!
>>
I find I get the best results for Timelapse video on my D7200 by putting it in aperture mode (This is obvious stuff, obviously) however with my old 28mm f/2.8 it will not allow me into the menu for timelapse video or it will kick me out of the menu if I switch over to aperture mode.

This is not heart breaking, since I did not buy that lens for that medium of photography however I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong before I give up on that combo forever, is there perhaps anything I can do? Cursory google searches don't really help since results are littered with really basic tl FAQ's and Videos.

Also I assume it's just because it's old glass, aye?
>>
How should I go about noise reduction? I tend to keep ISO at 100 unless forced due to weird lighting because I seem to get high noise with auto ISO. When I try to remove noise in Lightroom my photos end up with kind of an unnatural "paint brush" smudging effect. Should I just stop obsessing over what my photos look like when fully zoomed in?
>>
What is a good program for viewing RAWs? My default windows 7 can't display them through the stock image viewer and the program that came with my Sony has a clunky UI, half-functional zoom, and doesn't have a way to view the images in full screen or turn off UI.
>>
Will I loose anything besides lightweightness when I'll hop from basic mirrorless to mid/high end DSLR?
>>
Tilt/shift lenses are fuckall cost prohibitive.

Are there Tilt/shift Adapters for other lenses?

Are there Tilt lenses / shift lenses as individual items?
>>
>>3120171
Lensbaby makes tilt-shift adapters for Canon and Nikon for sure.
>>
>>3119834
I'm pretty happy with FastStone. Viewing RAWS and batch operations on JPG are possible for sure.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170724-170239.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170724-170239.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
How the fuck is he getting this effect?

Can a digital camera do this? Do I need vintage lenses? Is it an after effect?
>>
>>3117316
You could use 2nd curtain flash sync to get proper dancer and light expositions.
>>
>>3120203
He's shooting film so all that grain, color softness, and warmth is just part of the film experience.

But if youre trying digital; shoot during golden hour, camera facing the light, deliberately underexpose, raise the exposure by one or two stops in lightroom, raise the shadows and crunch the blacks, and mess around with whites and highlights depending on the effect you want, make white balance more yellow, and adjust the saturation and luminance sliders in the HSL tab to bring out the warm tones
>>
Sooo I'm about to develop my own film but I've completely overlooked one thing, how does one get 35mm film out of the canister?
>>
>>3120203
>How the fuck is he getting this effect?
>>3120260
>sliders in the HSL tab
fixt
>>
Is the DSCHX90 any good? looking for a hiking camera so things influencing my choice are
>compact
>zoom
>mini sun proof lens thing (viewfinder?)
>price (under £350)

planning on nature shots and some astro shots also can you turn off metadata in the options is that standard or will I have to strip it myself before uploading and archiving?
also

What're some websites to upload pictures to? the more privacy the better not imgur though
>>
>>3120266
In my patterson tank the spiral clicks open if you twist the upper and lower parts
>>
>>3120266
sometimes beer bottle openers can be used to pop the end cap off. I usually insert a dull table knife into the film slot (in a dark environment), twist to widen the opening, then pull the canister apart with my fingers. the metal is very soft. the film attached to the spindle is then easily loaded onto your developing reel.
>>
How do you get this look?
>>
>>3120871
Bright sunny day, flash to the face, warm up the white balance in post, crank exposure and contrast to taste.
>>
How plausible would it be to take street/landscape/architectural photography with nothing but an 85mm prime? Is it pretty much guaranteed to be a bad time?
>>
>>3120894
sounds like an awful time. get a 35 or 40 if you want something versatile
>>
>>3120894
yes, especially if you have a crop frame camera, be ready for lots of backing up to try and frame things
>>
>>3120894
i shoot street with 85mm equivalent lens and like it, but I also like to isolate subjects more than showing them as part of a space
>>
Are there any websites that let photographers from a certain area kind of get to know each other? I've searched for the flickr groups for my area and most of them haven't had a post in 3-4 years.
>>
>>3121175
you probably won't appreciate this answer but Instagram. Also network and meet people at gallery shows and at camera shops and such. But at least for me, most of my friends are from instagram.
>>
>>3121175
Facebook would probably be your best bet though. There are tons of meet up groups on there.
>>
how do you guys determine the desired exposure for a picture? I've just been using the nikon exposure meter in the optical viewfinder for my nikon and try to get it dead center.
>>
>>3114309
Is it okay to use a flash bounce while shooting at a conference or is that too distracting?
>>
How do I git gud at using the adjustment brush tool? Do you guys do this shit with a mouse or does everyone have a drawing tablet of some sort?
>>
>>3121250
I personally wouldn't do it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (447KB, 749x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
447KB, 749x1000px
Thoughts on selective coloring for convention photos? I know selective coloring is generally frowned upon and seen as dangerously cheesy. But I feel that in this case it helps a lot with isolating the subject from the messy background. At conventions the stuff going on in the background is very hard to control and simply moving to a less crowded/nicer spot isn't always an option. Original photo has those distracting yellow banners/curtains on the wall for example. I was thinking of editing all my future convention photos to look like this. Would this be in poor taste or should I go for it?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.10.1 (Windows)
PhotographerAlbert Mapanao
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:07:26 22:55:47
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>3121474
I think that while the colors in the bottom photo could draw from the subject, it also helps put them in a physical space, while the color isolation on the top separates the subject too greatly from the background, and worst case when that effect is leaned on too heavily if the aperture is that open, can have the look of a the subject standing in front of a green screen with photoshop-blurred stock photo as the fill in.

That might also be the fact the cosplayer has no wrinkles or marks on their face and looks vaguely similar to a hyper-realistic promo sculpture at a booth, which leans more on their personal choice in makeup.
>>
>>3120203
Split tone, and then set the shadow tone to gold
and your highlight tone to slightly brighter gold.
>>
whats that photo by that russian or german photographer in maybe the 50's and its a sillhouette of a mean lookin dog and the background is a big palace garden sort of thing and its snowing and the dog looks real aggresive
>>
Why is it that it seems most tiltShift adapters are from o e type of lens to a different camera?

Why the hell can't I use a nikon lens on a Nikon camera?
>>
File: tumblr_oqgko1eu341v8vcbro1_1280.jpg (219KB, 1280x858px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqgko1eu341v8vcbro1_1280.jpg
219KB, 1280x858px
How do I take photos like these? (1/3 non nude)

Have model and camera.
Don't have any lights or location with great daylight.

I have a borrowed camera with a 35mm.
>>
File: tumblr_oq7a3qjI0W1v8vcbro1_1280.jpg (74KB, 1080x721px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oq7a3qjI0W1v8vcbro1_1280.jpg
74KB, 1080x721px
>>3121731
(2/3)
>>
File: tumblr_oqeofdUrvv1v8vcbro1_1280.png (764KB, 1200x1067px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqeofdUrvv1v8vcbro1_1280.png
764KB, 1200x1067px
>>3121731
(3/3)
>>
File: tumblr_oq79tk0LXA1v8vcbro1_1280.jpg (196KB, 1000x1512px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oq79tk0LXA1v8vcbro1_1280.jpg
196KB, 1000x1512px
>>3121737
(4/3) bonus

I'm gonna go ahead and guess daylight is the key in most of these..
>>
>>3121706
Flange distance is an issue, you can't move a Nixon lens further from the body and still get infinity focus.
>>
Do people actually buy Lightroom presets? If so, are there recommended ones out there?
>>
>>3122104
>download free settings
>make minor adjustments to suit your taste
>???
>profit?
>>
>>3122109
That's what I was thinking, I just didn't know if I was missing something since I've seen so many preset sites pop up
>>
>>3121474
I almost did not notice the selective coloring on the top until I looked at the bottom image. In this instance, Select coloring is almost an extension of blurring out the background. Maybe try it with the other shots?
Be careful with your masking though, I can peep the colors around the hair coming off the bg.
>>
Some family expressed interest in buying some of my work so I figured I'd shop around for maybe a cheap book printer, are there any recommendations or tier lists available for this service?

Obviously the quality doesn't need to be A++ but for them to survive a few years would be great
>>
>>3121738
>>3121737
>>3121732
>>3121731
nobody?

usually /p/ has a bunch of easy to follow tips for idiots like me
>>
>>3122431
I wish I could help but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at here. 2 and 4 sort of has a similar post processing style while 1 and 3 aren't really that similar at all. So I'm not sure what look you're trying to achieve.
>>
>>3122436
I'm guessing this very bright, blown out soft feeling?

It feels like they are taken with extremely much daylight even when some arent?
>>
Anyone use multiple social media sites to store/share their photos? Do you have a certain approach to what you upload to what sites? Like do you store all you photos on flickr sort of as an online back up and then only post your favorite photos on instagram? Do you focus on promoting one social media site, getting followers and likes and etc over the others? What are your overall thoughts on all the sites you use, your personal pros and cons for each site?
>>
>>3122440
I'm not an expert at lighting but if I had to guess they're using the natural sunlight from the window as a sort of back light while using a large softbox as a key light in front of the model. That's just my guess, someone more knowledgeable could probably correct me though.
>>
>>3121528
koudelka
>>
I'm a total newbie to cameras in general.

I've got a camcorder with a 43mm lens. Does this mean I can use any filter or attachment as long as It's 43mm? Or are some threaded differently or what?

Store pages list stuff as FOR [MODEL] but is otherwise the right size. Are they special fitted or is that just marketing?
>>
>>3122728
Lenses are referred to by their focal lengths, in mm, but there's the filter thread is a separate measurement. Best bet is to look at the owners manual to see what filters it accepts
>>
>>3122732
Ok yeah that's what I meant. The manual just says it has a 43mm filter diameter.

I guess I'm asking if they're standardized to the point where I won't fuck up my camera's threads due to a mismatch in thread pitch. After some googling it seems 43mm thread filters will all have the same pitch so I don't have anything to worry about?
>>
File: sigma lens.jpg (522KB, 3456x5454px) Image search: [Google]
sigma lens.jpg
522KB, 3456x5454px
newb here

I bought this sigma 100-300 f4.5-6.7 UC lens second hand, it fits on my nikon D90 but it shows a 'FEE' error code on the led screen when I try to shoot auto with it. I can only shoot on manual and aperture priority with it on f/22 and then adjust aperture and speed using the body's dials.

I don't mind shooting manual, but is this the intended behaviour? I can't find documentation on this lens because it's pretty old/unpopular. It's not the DL version (slightly more popular) its the UC version. What baffles me is that it has electrodes on the mount so I expect it to be able to tell my camera what aperture it's on, so I don't need to set aperture ring to f22.

How is the body setting the aperture anyway? when I set it to f4.5, is it just simulating that f number by adapting the shutter speed instead of actually opening or closing the diaphragm?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width3456
Image Height2581
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:07:28 23:02:35
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width3456
Image Height5454
>>
>>3114309
guys, what do you think is better than D90 but lighterweight and not too pricey ?
>>
>>3122873
>not too pricey
That's very vague. The entry level D3300 from 2014 is technically better, but wont have the controls/feel of a mid range body like a D90. You'd probably want something more like a D7100/7200, assuming you want to stay with the DX format for your lenses
>>
>>3122440
Fuck with curves tool, you'll understand it when you do.
>>
>>3122894
if i'm not a pro, should i want a full frame camera ?
>>
>>3122905
If you have to ask, no
>>
If someone has a portfolio and all their photos have a unique look, but they all have that just one unique look, would you say that they're reliable and consistent or unwilling to experiment/using that one look as a crutch?
>>
>>3122925
Post it
>>
>>3122894
how is it technically better ? and is the D3400 better than D90 ? how ? it's cheaper too
>>
>>3121737
hooker in cheap motel room detected.
>>
>>3122965
>hooker in cheap motel room detected.
Yes?
>>
>>3121737
This would look so much better if they'd gotten a room on the west side of the hotel, taken the shots an hour or two before sunset, let her play on the bed in the covers with the light slanting in through the window, maybe play with the curtains or move her so the mullions cast some shadows across her, maybe over/under expose with her posing in front of the window... Just guessing. A friend told me that kind of stuff works. Sometimes.
>>
>>3123309
Maybe they did. I only took a couple of pictures that I liked from tumblr.

Could anyone say if they are using some extra lights? I just want to know how things work.
>>
whats the cheapest tripod an amateur wanting to take landscapes and night skies can get away with?

also, looking for a midsize backpack that will protect a dslr and 3 or so lenses, maybe fit a 15in laptop, bottle of water and some clothes. it's like there's this jump from super cheap trash to literal pro stuff, hard to find the middle ground for a broke student.
>>
>>3123339
hello fellow cheap student

just get a secondhand tripod or visit one of those stores that asian people like to own.
tripod prices are high because the most respected manufacturers like to build their entire frame out of spaceplane alloy metal or carbon fiber. They also sink a lot of costs into creating patented leg extender clip designs that make setting it up really quick.

You have no need for either of these features so just get a shitty (possibly aluminium) one for cheap. All it needs to do is be tall enough to reach your nipples and wide enough to be as wide as 1 or so step. The only risks when buying cheap tripods is that if you leave them alone they tip over under the weight of your monster lens. However you likely have no monster lenses. Have the lens always pointing in the same direction as one of the legs, and don't step away from the tripod when taking pictures. Always be there to catch it should something happen. You should be fine.

for backpacks, look on aliexpress for augur camera bag. They look snazzy, but haven't bought one yet. Some of the models are available for like $17. If you know something better please link.
>>
I found this Instagram account recently and its use of colour is precisely the kind of thing I want to achieve.
https://www.instagram.com/cbje_tokyo/

That said, I live in rural England, so that makes it difficult. Despite that, how much of these images is in camera and how much do you think is achieved in editing? I've only started taking pictures over the last few months and I'm still learning, but I'd love to be able to achieve the kind of atmosphere those images create.
>>
>>3117288
Anybody?

Do you just crop to whatever size is necessary or try and keep it in proportion?
>>
File: IMG_2173.jpg (586KB, 1242x1620px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2173.jpg
586KB, 1242x1620px
So I was out hiking and fell and bathed my lens. Now the outer plastic is bent inwards which is making zooming really stiff. Is there anything I can do to bend it back without breaking it?

CommentScreenshot
Image Width1242
Image Height1620
>>
>>3123483
I'm OCD as fuck so I keep everything the same proportion. If it doesn't bother you to have an album full of photos that are all over the place then go for it I guess?
>>
>>3123483
>>3117288
Do whatever looks good.

Obviously if you want images to be good for full screen viewing you don't deviate terribly much from typical screen formats like 16 to 9-10 or such.
>>
>>3123502
>28-105mm
And nothing of value was lost. Buy a prime instead.
>>
How do you go from taking technically good shots (subject in focus, everything properly exposed) to taking interesting/artistic shots? Like I can read about composition rules like repetition and symmetry, I know how it works, then when I go out shooting I can't really find any examples to shoot out in the real world. Then I go to a recent photos thread and someone posts a really fucking nice symmetrical photo and it makes me want to kill myself.
>>
If I get into film photography will women want to fuck me?
>>
Is ISO important? I was told to never go higher than 1600 cause it'll ruin an image. Is this true or preference?
>>
>>3123776
Higher iso means more noise. Personally I think noise can actually add to certain scenes under a very specific set of circumstances. If noise doesn't bother you then just go with it or whatever.
>>
>>3123778
Sometimes it does
>>
File: wewlad.png (134KB, 954x688px) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.png
134KB, 954x688px
Should I go to this thing? Looks completely legit.
>>
I'm going to shoot film expired in the 80's
Mainly color but some of the films in the lot are B&W.
How do I handle the exposure? +1 at box speed? +2? Setting the ISO lower than box speed?
HELP
>>
>>3123740
I’m not planning on buying expensive lenses precisely for the reason that I do a lot of outdoor stuff and the risk of damage is too high.
>>
>>3123734
>>3123736
Thanks.

For example, I have an image that has a very tall building in it, but there's very little interesting around it so I cropped it so the image is very tall, but very narrow. The dimensions are a little unusual for the image, but the image is much nicer.
>>
>>3123796
>Agatha is more than a model, she also has a degree in film and works behind the camera as well. She is of the directors of ModelFest.

Please don't waste your money anon.
>>
>>3123952
>i'm not planning to take high quality photos because the risk of damage is too high
Um, I think that's what makes you a phoneposting cuck and all the people that do use real cameras "photographers"...
>>
>>3124029
>you can’t take good photos using a lens worth less than a certain amount
Oh it’s b8 nvm
>>
I don't want to be a generic photographer. Who are some photographers and artists that I can look into for inspiration especially if they're experimental?

Also, how do I host an art gallery for my photos?
>>
>>3124295
Take a photo of poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pooooopyyyyyyy
>>
>>3124295
>I don't want to be a generic photographer.
This is something literally every photographer asks himself every single day. Hell, that's something every artist asks himself, photogs included. "How to I make good shit?" The answer is, figure it out. Nobody can tell you what you like. Think about what interests you. Take photos of it. See if it piques the interest of anyone else. Rinse and repeat.
And stop thinking in terms of "I." "How do I make MYSELF look like a good photographer? I want people to like ME. I want to be remembered for the photos taken by ME." Fuck you, you're nobody. Stop being selfish. It's your photos you should be focusing on.

>Who are some photographers and artists that I can look into for inspiration especially if they're experimental?
Another unanswerable question. Nobody can tell you what you like. There are a hundred million "experimental" photogs out there, especially now in the age of smartphones and instagram. If you want to find ones you like, look around. /p/, Instagram, google, wherever. Personally I like to look around the photography section of bookstores and take down the names of any photographers who's work I like.

Can't help you with the art gallery thing. But you should really focus on taking good photos before you even think about exhibiting them
>>
>>3123796
Meh. If the event looks interesting enough to you, go ahead. Doesn't seem worth it, though. If they expect to be paid before they let people shoot there are probably photogs much older, much more professional, and probably much better than you already taking photos there.
>>
>>3123776
>Is ISO important?
Not at all. Just set it as high as it'll go and forget it, that way you'll get the best shutter speeds
But seriously, yes. Not as much as f-stop or shutter speed imo, I'll usually just set it and forget it until my light changes. Generally it's better to keep it low, since the higher it is and the darker the scene, the more noise/grain you'll get, and if you really think grain will add to a scene you can just add it in post. But sometimes it'll be dark and
you'll have to go pretty high to make sure everything's properly exposed, and for those cases make sure you know how it's gonna come out. A good exercise is to go out, take the same photo of the same subject at different ISOs and your cam set to programmed mode, then look at them on your computer and see how they turn out.

>>3123748
Yes, but only if you're interesting and/or attractive, and if you're only going into photography for pussy you're probably neither.
>>
>>3123470
A big part of it is editing, with that said, being in japan helps A LOT with these types of pictures (I say that as someone who's lived a while in Tokyo). The neon lights, the sense for aesthetics and the mix of sleek modern buildings with narrow alleys and hanging electrical wires creates a special feel.

Anyway, for editing: read up on color and brightness curves, the orange/teal "effect", and clarity/dehaze
(This is what they're called in lightroom)

Check out https://www.instagram.com/liamwon9/ as well
>>
>>3123744
Nobody can teach you how to take "interesting" shots, because "interesting" is a subjective opinion. Following the rules can certainly help a shot, but taking good photos is about 90% subject choice and 10% technical know-how. Study the rules, utilize them, and then understand them. Once you've got 'em down, find subjects that interest you and take photos. Follow the rules, but don't be afraid to bend them.
>>
>>3123502
Don't try to bend it, odds are you'll just make it worse. >>3123740 has a point tho, zoom lenses have a habit of making photogs lazy. This is a good chance to practice; set your lens to one focal length and keep it at that your whole shoot. Move your feet instead of your hands when you want a subject bigger.
>>
>>3123470
>how much of these images is in camera
0%. Well, maybe like 5-15%, but no more than 20%. He puts his shots through some heavy color grading. I have no idea how exactly he does it (only way to find out is to ask him, you could message him if you're really curious), but if you know enough photoshop/lightroom/gimp/some other image editor you can probably get something similar. But what looks good on his urban Japanese city will probably look out-of-place on your rural English village. Work with what you have, try to get your own "voice," don't just try to copy someone else's.
>>
>>3123339
I've got an Amazonbasics tripod. It's only like 15 bucks and works fine for when I need it, tho I usually prefer to stay handheld so I haven't used it that much. Actually I can't give it a good review since one of the few times I used it one of the legs broke off. It was easy to get replaced though, I just e-mailed amazon and they paid for return postage and gave me a new one free.
>>
>>3122925
Depends on who you're showing it to, and for what purpose.
Only way we can help with a portfolio is if you post it.
>>
>>3122778
Sounds like a technical issue. E-mail Nikon product support. If you grill them hard enough they might even replace it
>>
>>3121731
>>3122431
You have to ask good questions if you want good answers. What the hell do you mean by "like these?" Similar lighting? Similar color? Model poses? Figure out what you like about those photos, then ask.
>>
>>3121474
Imo it would be a little more subtle to just slightly desaturate the background from the foreground. Same effect without the cheesy color splash look
>>
File: LRM_EXPORT_20170731_175704.jpg (2MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
LRM_EXPORT_20170731_175704.jpg
2MB, 2048x2048px
So i just bought this lens from value village and i realized after i left the store that the upper part is stuck at an angle and because of that the focus ring is stuck too.

Is there a way of repairing it without needing a professional? Everything else seems to be ok.

Equipment MakeLG Electronics
Camera ModelLG-H831
Camera SoftwareLightroom Android 3.0.1
Image Created2017:07:31 17:57:04
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length4.42 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
>>
>/p/ says that gear doesn't matter in photography
>half the threads are about gear
So, which is it?
>>
>>3124611
Yes
>>
I'm paranoid of fuckers stealing my photos if I post them here. Does that happen?
>>
>>3124678
I steal everyone's photos all the time.
>>
>>3115051
Just shoot what you enjoy. I'm not good at photography in the slightest but I enjoy shooting macro an nature scenes so that's what I stick to. Don't force yourself into a hobby you don't truly love
>>
>>3115051
>I signed up for Instagram
Don't fall for the social media popularity contest pitfall. You'll just hate yourself in the end. Also, try to find your niche and specialize in a certain genre of photography. Do you like taking pictures of people? Nature? Taking snapshots while traveling? You must have picked up photography for a reason, so figure out exactly what you want to take pictures of and focus on that.
>>
>>3124678
Real talk, your photos probably aren't good enough to be stolen. Plus, I'd be more worried about posting my photos on facebook where my normie friends don't know anything about photo sharing/credit attribution etiquette than sharing it on /p/ which is full of photographers who probably thinks their own photos are way better than mine anyway.
>>
>>3124314
Thanks. Will do.

>>3124330
I did consider contacting him. I know what you mean about using those techniques where I live. I know I could never replicate it (if only because his images have a very cold look, whereas where I am is very warm). I would never want to copy his style, but I've always loved that kind of style (and in cinema the work of Christopher Doyle) so it would be nice if one day I could take some pictures like that.
>>
Is it not recommended to go lower than 3200 on ISO? If not then was is a rule of thumb when using ISO?
>>
>>3125187
100 iso when shooting outside in the sunlight. Use the minimum you need when shooting in less well lit situations. Personally I feel like the fstop and shutter speed are much more important to me than the iso, so I pick the f stop I want for a scene, enough shutter speed to eliminate any motion blur and then whatever iso I need to balance the exposure.
>>
>>3125187
I think 3200 ISO is for night time if I'm not mistaken
>>
Looking for a monitor for my d3300 that I can use to film with. Would prefer to be as cheap as possible, and have a decent angle. Doesn't have to have sound, or be totally crisp (just good enough to see what I'm doing and keep focus). I plan on getting a cage for my camera and mounting it to that. Any suggestions?
>>
>>3117237

Import then format the sd card. Otherwise it's more likely to produce errors.
>>
What's the best way to go about taking photos for real estate?

I tend to do before during and after photos
>>
When should I message with exposure bias?
>>
>>3125511
*Mess
>>
>>3116861
International versions of most cameras cannot be serviced stateside. You'd have to ship them to the manufacturer in HK or wherever to get issues sorted out.
>>
>>3125327
Cheers, mate. I've got a copy of them on my laptop and a copy on an external hard drive. I didn't know about formatting.
>>
>>3114309
Which camera would be good for shooting small sculptures/models or things relatively close?
>>
>>3125531
Get a macro lens
>>
>>3125505
Get a tripod and the widest angle lens you can find.
>>
what is the general consensus on Fuji X-T1 ?
>>
Is ISO sensitivity on auto a bad thing? Should I have it off or on?
>>
>>3125554
The XT1 was the camera that brought the fun back to photography for me.

I prefer the analog feel over the spaceship feel of the Sonys. A electronic viewfinder is like playing a video game.
Go in the store and play around with one to see if you like it. Don't listen to graphics on the internet to decide if you want a camera, just because it scored X in some test.

Your camera should be your instrument, not your tool. You can only decide that by playing with it yourself.
>>
>>3125724
Unless you absolutely know what you're doing or you're taking studio shots with the same lightning all of the time just leave it on auto. A camera might not be that good at guessing artistic choices like what aperture and shutter speed use for particular shots, but they're damn good (and much better than the human eye) at reading the actual available light.

Does you camera offer you an option to set the min and max levels for auto ISO so it doesn't go out of whack? I know mine does, same for configuring a shutter speed I don't want it to go below if I'm shooting in Aperture priority.
>>
>>3125730
Yeah mine is D3200 and I understand ISO more or less but I am kinda run and gun and changing ISO and shit gets a bit complicated and varies.

Does auto work on all the program modes like A, P, S, M?
>>
>>3125736
>I am kinda run and gun
Auto ISO all day every day then. And I'm not sure about your particular camera but that setting should be consistent across all modes. Just take a quick look to double check it's not going above 3200-6400 (depends on camera) because that's where the grainfest starts and you're good to go. Anything above those values is reserved for very low light shots where you absolutely cannot use the flash and/or a tripod.
>>
>>3125740
Alright I'll try that out
>>
Ok kinda new to photography but what's would the main focus I should have if I am worried about light and clarity?
>>
I am a noob when it comes to flash and usually just go with any available light. I assume that is a bad sign. How do I learn How to properly use flash?
>>
Idk
>>
Ok so i just bought a Olympus Stylus zoom 105 and i was wondering if you actually need to put film in it to get the winding mechanism to work. I also have the 70mm version and when i close the back, the mechanism goes on even if there's no film so i want to know if it's normal.
>>
>>
>>3124433
this is why you check shit first. throw it in the bin and be more careful next time
>>
Is a 75-300mm lens good for astral photography? Just picked one up on Amazon, and was wondering how to get good pics of the moon. I'm gonna use it for other things but I want that to be the test.
>>
what would cause a used camera from the 80s to have a slightly bronze-coloured lens mount? rust?
>>
im looking to buy a new camera and was looking
at the nikon p900 but the price is a little steep.
what other cameras that are similar but cheaper would you recommend?
>>
File: tumblr_oq5gxy8bpk1v8vcbro1_1280.jpg (90KB, 1200x802px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oq5gxy8bpk1v8vcbro1_1280.jpg
90KB, 1200x802px
>>3124345
I'm a beginner so it might be that I don't know what I like. That's why I tried several photos.

Soft, very bright model photos I think?

The colors look very dreamlike (like in 80s movies when the character is dreaming) while still having some clean and sharp details.
>>
>>3126019
bump
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.