[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>asking /p/ for photography advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: 1497710741341.jpg (32KB, 750x543px) Image search: [Google]
1497710741341.jpg
32KB, 750x543px
>asking /p/ for photography advice
>>
>>3112679
Should I ask Reddit instead
>>
>>3112679
>making a post that's even worse than people offering bad advice
>>
>>3112681
Maybe, but here is a useful rundown of what you should do:

1) Google your question
2) Read enough material coming from reputable sources which have differing opinions. Such sources are left up to you to decide - but you'll see google spitting out the same places over and over
3) Once you have collected your research, THEN ask people what their opinion is
4) After constructive discussion, make a judgement call
5) Act.
6) Don't bother with /p/
>>
why are we all still here?
>>
>>3112731
Because you can't leave.
>>
>>3112731
I like to shitpost against autistic gearfags
>>
>>3112731
I sometimes dump stuff and even manage to get a few nice and constructive replies on what I can improve

Otherwise I don't lurk all that much. There's a few threads with useful info but this is 70% a gearfagging board and since I barely buy anything new ever it's not very useful content for me

There's also a few threads with good inspo, I got some very cool ideas from a few anons around here
>>
>>3112720
as simple as that list is, a lot of people are too fucking dumb to figure out that this is the way to go

I cannot fathom how people who go to uni and especially people who have finished uni (which can hardly be done without learning how to look for sources on your own) still are this retarded about how to find things online

that said, reddit r/photography is the same fucking shit as this place, 99% gear shit and the same "which beginner camera should I buy" questions every day and very little actual photography talk. most photography forums (eg. dpreview) are very similar, but as a musician I see the same shit on guitar/bass oriented forums as well.

model mayhem or flickr or other forums are at least slightly better in the sense, that you can actually at least see the portfolio of the guy giving you advice so you can simply decide whether you think he's qualified or not to do so
>>
>>3112811
>model mayhem or flickr or other forums
*other forums based on photography galleries
>>
>>3112801
>good inspo
>very cool ideas from a few anons
>I got some
So you're stealing intellectual property?
>>
>>3112814
I will not fall for your patent troll tricks anon you ain't got nothin on me man I'm a free man I know my rights
>>
>>3112763
you should understand you're one of them
>>
>>3112811
I don't know either. I have literally never felt the need to have answer asked in /p/. My conclusion is that people are bored and stupid.
>>
>>3112801
you ever checked out ITAP and Analog on reddit? those are real photography boards, very little gearfagging
>>
>>3112720
>Google your question

And what if my question is "is this picture any good?" What do I do? Reverse image search?
>>
>>3112971
no, that's actually a great question, just expect a lot of trolling and pointless, nonhelpful observations
>>
>>3112992
So I should still come to /p/ for help? But you said I shouldn't.
>>
>>3113018
No you shouldn't, for critique go to the many social networks out there to display your shit. Do you think /p/ has any sort of qualifications to decide if a picture is shit or not? Stop being so dense.
>>
>>3112971
you should know yourself if your fucking picture is good or not. If you want critique that's a different story
>>
>>3113142
Why doesn't it? I'm assuming most /p/ users aren't blind. So why aren't they "qualified" to judge my work? I'm not trying to take photos only photography nerds will like. I hate photography nerds. They're under the delusion that there are "rules."

>>3113156
If I took the time to post it, I probably think it's already some level of good. What I want is a second opinion
>>
>>3113177
>I'm not trying to take photos only photography nerds will like. I hate photography nerds. They're under the delusion that there are "rules."

that's exactly the reason why you shouldn't post them on /p/. This board has a very narrow attitude what constitutes a good photo (film snapshots, architecture symmetry, pretty landscapes, VSCO shit). Anything beyond that is just going to be called shit
>>
>>3113186
What if that engagement is all I want? What if, wether they like the photo or not, I just want them to think about it?

I don't care if It's good. I don't care if it's bad. I just don't want it to be medicore.
>>
>>3113177
Nigga listen, you could post a large format portrait that would be eligible for museum and /p/ would find something wrong with it.

There is literally zero reason to look for constructive criticism here. You get the odd tripfag maybe giving it, but that makes it a sad state of affairs.

>I hate photography nerds.

Maybe those nerds actually can help and give constructive criticism. It's like saying "fuck the experts". No fuck you, you dunce. If you want to post your shit here to get shat on, by all means, but then don't cry about it you fucking cretin.
>>
>>3113192
Let me put it differently.

I don't hate photography nerds. But I want them to hate me.
>>
File: 1451504132258.jpg (40KB, 261x260px) Image search: [Google]
1451504132258.jpg
40KB, 261x260px
>>3113192
>Nigga listen, you could post a large format portrait that would be eligible for museum and /p/ would find something wrong with it.
Here's the thing about "art". It's in some ways subjective. It's a thing where everyone can have an opinion whether they choose to state it or not.

It's perfectly acceptable for this to happen on a board where there's more than 20 people.
>>
>>3113197
But what's objective about art is how many people are paying attention to it. That's what makes Marvel and Transformer movies objectively better than that Terence Malick or PT Anderson arthouse flick you love.

Because, love them or hate them, you still think about the Transformers movies.
>>
>>3113201
>popularity=quality
>thinking about Transformers movies
lolwut
>>
>>3113197
>Here's the thing about "art". It's in some ways subjective.

Tru dat, but some opinions matter more than others. I.e.: from actual photographers who put in the work and understand what goes into a good photo. The problem with /p/ is that you can't discern from some shit-chucking moron or someone with a credibility.

On forums and things, people are more accountable to what they post so it's likely going to be judged by real photographers.

>>3113194
Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>3113220
You see, the problem with the Transformers movies is, for all the money and attention they're getting, they're going to be forgotten. Because they aren't good enough.

I want to make something that's good enough to remember. I'd rather be Mozart than Salieri.
>>
>>3113197
>a board where there's more than 20 people.

Wait, there's more than 20 people here?
>>
>>3113201
>Marvel and Transformer movies objectively better than that Terence Malick or PT Anderson arthouse flick
>these are the people on /p/ giving you creative advice
holy shit, get some taste
>>
>>3113177
so basically
>>3113192
this

if you want other people to criticize your work, you can come here, people will definitely find something to be improved upon. which is why many people still come here, because if you post a shot on flickr, you will get nothing but "great pic/great shot/great capture/mezmerizing/etc." even if it's average and it is almost unthinkable to get any kind of constructive criticism. even if it's rare here as well, at least it exists sometimes.

in both cases, you gotta take it with a little caution, as 4chan undervalues while a lot of other sites overvalue your photo.
>>
>>3113273
actually, there isn't. every single post in this thread was made by me. your post as well. every personality carefully crafted. the rest of the board as well
>>
>>3112971
Then you should ask Google about the difference between advice and critique
>>
>>3113276
See
>>3113241
>>
>>3113277
Exactly
>>
>>3113362
But there is no difference. I'm trying to find advice thru the critique. That's why there's a difference between constructive criticism and just plain old praise/ridicule
>>
>>3112958
Dunno what ITAP is and analog prolly isn't for me since I don't really do film (yet)

Overall I've never really used Reddit and never felt the need to, the user thing bugs me too much, but maybe it's worth lurking every now and then...

Before I post this in some other thread, has anyone been to any photo club? There's a gathering of the local one next week where people critique 10 pics that you bring and I was thinking of giving it a shot, who knows.
>>
>>3113405
>the user thing bugs me too much
you only need a throwaway email to register a profile to lurk with. you never ever have to comment in any thread so you can stay anonymous as you are comfortable

ITAP is itookapicture, analog is just above-average pictures most of the time, ITAP is above-average digital pics. the general quality is slightly above a /p/ recent photo thread
>>
>>3113177
you should probably dissecting why you like it

is it thirds? leading lines? golden spiral? colors or use of negative space? or is it just bokeh whoring and a pretty girl? not everything is a photographic masterpiece and if you can't critique yourself you're not at the level yet where you're going to be any better than normies
>>
>>3113793
So if you like something, even though it doesn't follow a set of clear-cut rules, you can't really like it? So why dosen't all art just follow the rules exactly? And why does art that follows the rules exactly come off as so bland and uninteresting?
>>
>>3113273
There are. Just look at 'dat IP count senpai. Exactly 20.
>>
>>3113177
>So why aren't they "qualified" to judge my work?
I'm not the guy you were talking to, but there are two ways to look at it, one is that everyone is qualified to judge it and you go by the statistical ratio of how many people said something good vs how many people said something bad

on the other hand if you want constrictive criticism from someone who is better and/or more successful at shooting what you want to shoot, to me that would make their opinion stand out a little bit from the others. but since everyone is anonymous here aside from tripfags, you can't just check out the guy's photos who just gave you c&c
>>
>making me explain this for the 100th time

4chan is great for entry to mid-level advice. There are enough dedicated people on any given board that eventually they will hand down some useful advice. Over time this advice gets distilled into a sticky/copypasta that can be shared with noobs to give them the basic outline of how to GETGUD.

Once you get the basics down, you start to develop your own personal style. At this point you can try to find like-minded anons on the board to discuss this subgenre with. Eventually you have delved so far into a niche that there is no longer many people to talk with. This is when you should probably leave the board. Sadly, you are hooked on that sweet sweet life-changing, needle in a haystack advice/insight you get once a year on the board.

So you stay, and since you're so into your little niche of the hobby, you can't help but argue and disagree with everyone about what is important in the hobby and why everyone is dumb but you. Then you're just another cynical, jaded, argumentative but moderately adequate oldish-fag on the board.
>>
>>3114067
Not the anon you're replying to, but I think part of the point of anonymity is that you are supposed to judge each poster's comments on the intelligence of the post. It shouldn't matter if they're protog or newfag, if they express something insightful in a clear way, then you should take the comment seriously.
>>
>>3114190
>Then you're just another cynical, jaded, argumentative but moderately adequate oldish-fag on the board
And shitposting is fun sometimes
>>
>>3112801
>since I barely buy anything new ever it's not very useful content for me

but in 15 years you might be looking at what their talking about
>>
>>3113177
>Why doesn't it? I'm assuming most /p/ users aren't blind.
You must be new here
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.