[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm doing a road trip from Maine down to Florida then across

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: East Coast photo trip.jpg (38KB, 554x600px) Image search: [Google]
East Coast photo trip.jpg
38KB, 554x600px
I'm doing a road trip from Maine down to Florida then across to Texas.
Any suggestions on good spots to stop and get some good shots?
>>
>>3112310
Take pictures inside the ERs when you get shot in Bridgeport, Newark and/or Baltimore.
Really though, go to Walter's Hotdogs stand in Mamaroneck. It's probably the thing I miss most about the tri-state area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter%27s_Hot_Dog_Stand
>>
>Florida

Required visiting:

>Kennedy Space Center, make a day of it
>Key West, you're a faggot if you come all the way down from Maine and don't go to Key West, Set aside a day for the Keys, be off the mainland by 9am.
>St. Augustine, nations oldest city, do the Spanish Forts, there's two of them
>South Beach if you like to party
>North Florida has springs everywhere, stop by Ginnie or Ichetucknee Springs on your way to TX
>Florida Caves, yes we have them, near Tallahassee in the north part of the state off I-10
>>
File: space center-20.jpg (4MB, 2000x1314px) Image search: [Google]
space center-20.jpg
4MB, 2000x1314px
>>3112398
I agree that the Space Center is a must see. It is a bit pricey to get in, but staring at the shuttle from 2 feet away is worth it.
Just North of Miami there is a medieval Spanish Monastery that Hurst bought, disassembled, and it was shipped here and reassembled. That is worth some photos as well.
http://www.spanishmonastery.com/

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
PhotographerDavid DeFino
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>3112345
>>3112398
>>3112406
solid suggestions so far, thanks guys
>>
>>3112993
Tip for going to the Met in NYC: If you're low on cash, the posted cost for getting in is actually just a suggestion. You can pay them anything you want - I used to go in for $1 when I was a kid.
>>
In general, once you hit the South, take the time to hit up the downtowns of the mid-sized coastal cities you go to. They are all somewhat similar, but each has it's own distinct flavor (and yeah, I'm suggesting running the coast from Virginia down and not following 95. It goes through the shit parts of the Carolinas).

Across to Texas? That sounds like you're going to take 95 to South Florida, then come back up 75 and take I 10 west? If so, then Tampa is supposedly the stripper capital of the world, but Crystal River is where you gotta hit up to swim with the sea cows, and it's just a chill, awesome place. You can catch some Jai Li in Ocala. The Pensacola Naval Air Station (P-NAS, and yes everyone I've ever known pronounces like they're saying penis but suck at vowels) has a pretty awesome aviation museum and used to be the home of the Blue Angels. Around this area you start getting into the white sand beaches. In Baldwin County, AL, you have places like Fairhope where you can poke around and find some amazing Antebellum mansions on the beach surrounded by live oaks covered in spanish moss. From Ft. Morgan in Gulf Shores you can ride a ferry across the bay to Dauphin Island which is a good chance to see some dolphins and two Civil War forts (where Admiral Farragut said "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!), but that makes backtracking to Mobile a little annoying and Dauphin Island is kinda meh if you don't have access to marine research area...
>>
>>3113021
You also miss out on the Original Oyster House (on the Causeway) and the USS Alabama (an Iowa Class WWII battleship, and they have a bunch of other random military stuff like an old sub, the USS Drum, an SR-71 Blackbird, a few different types of NASA rockets, and random pieces of armor).

In Mobile, check out the downtown and take Government Street away from I-10 out of the downtown area to midtown and check out the Azalea Trail if you're wanting to see some more of the Antebellum architecture. The downtown government building is a pretty amazing piece of godawful contemporary architecture as well...oh, and downtown there's an old Spanish/French/British fort (Fort Conde) and if you are feeling froggy, there's a plaque you can find that details the last slave sold. If you poke around on Water Street, you can find the state docks and a few dry docks which can get your industrial fuzzies warmed. The highrise hotels downtown can get you a better view.

Heading west from there, you get to see the places that actually got fucked up by Katrina (as in essentially wiped off the map) that no one ever talks about like Pass Christian, Gulfport, Biloxi, and Ocean Springs Mississippi. There's also a shitton of ship builders in this area and it's worth exploring a little in the rural areas (forget what you've heard, you'll be safe. People might look at you funny, but that'll be about it).

Umm, be a tourist in New Orleans. It's what the city is made for. If you want authentic New Orleans, you go at least an hour away from New Orleans. Fun fact: there's some island coonasses southeast of NOLA that for some weird reason have accents like that of the Bronx.

Kinda wish I were down there, I could meet you somewhere and show you some of the more neat stuff that I couldn't begin to describe in a post.
>>
>>3112310
skip south florida

Middle of the state, cattle ranch with a huge thunderstorm. That's the kind of comfy I love.
>>
>>3112310

I was in Daytona yesterday, the beach is nice, and the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse is cool. Cocoa Beach Pier also seems to be a hot spot, though the pier we went to in Daytona felt a little lacking.

Ginnie Springs is very cool, Wekiwa is alright, and the springs at Kelly Park also look good, hoping to head over there very soon.

To get to the Keys, you'll be passing through Homestead. Theres a fruit stand a few miles to the West that has great milkshakes (Robert is Here), and you're also very close to the Everglades, if you're interested in that ecosystem. I've camped out there a few times and never had any issues.

If you have a drone try to grab a shot of the 7mile bridge in the Keys with the island (Pigeon Key) next to it, there are a few out there on the internet, and all look great. Hit Bahia Honda beach as well to grab shots of the old rail road bridge. You'll need to drive through both of these areas to get to Key West anyways. If you have time I would grab the ferry out to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. It costs around $100 and leaves from Key West, but it's super beautiful and you have access to almost the entire fort, including the very top ledges. As for Key West itself, you're probably looking at alot of cool street/lifestyle shots, since the people are characters, and everything is very "personalized". It's a small island, and if you rent a bike you won't have to deal with parking or the traffic, and it's fairly safe.
>>
File: 1137-2189.jpg (665KB, 913x1370px) Image search: [Google]
1137-2189.jpg
665KB, 913x1370px
>>3113082

This.

Especially the part about renting a bike for Key West the whole island is 12 square miles when I used to do the Keys monthly I would bring bikes down. Hang a left at the light and follow the seawall there's free parking and you can ride a bike from there to anywhere in the island in 15min.

Also hit The Cafe, off Fletcher St. You also have to do Mile 0, which is near the courthouse on Duval. Also do the lighthouse, pic related. There's a burlesque house that does a drag race periodically on Duval St. and not the kind with big-block Chevys.

If you can time your arrival into South Florida at the end of the month, the last Friday of every month is Critical Mass it is a giant ass bike ride through downtown Miami with literally thousands of bikes and sometimes the Miami Heat players show up, I got to meet Lebron James when he played for them, dude has hands like a fucking silverback gorilla.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Image Created2015:01:06 11:32:36
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length28.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 1137s-8940-3.jpg (3MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1137s-8940-3.jpg
3MB, 2000x1333px
>>3113082

Kelly Park is where this infamous shot I posted on /p/ was done. It's in the north end of Apopka, some pro-tips for you about this place

There are several smaller springs that surround the main one and empty into it that are decent photo ops. Don't get caught by lifeguards going in but if you do bring a plastic bag and pick up some trash along the way they will usually turn a blind eye. Tourists are always throwing shit away into the stream and you can use that to your advantage and us Natives will thank you.

Arrive early, park opens at 8. This time of year on the weekends it is full by 10am. The water is 68 degrees but feels like 45, just jump in you'll get used to it. Bring an underwater camera too, a decent one with a fast lens. Better yet, a dive cam or a Canon compact with a case that lets it float, my S90 does this. You can get them cheap and they do RAW output.

They will kick everyone out if a thunderstorm gets too close and that is usually around 2 or 4pm this time of year. Just hand out, it'll pass. The stream closes usually an hour before the park, use this time to get your photo ops in without idiot tourists.

You can rent a tube for 3 dollars at the entrance, do it if you like to be lazy.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D
Image Created2015:06:19 12:40:53
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModeUnknown
Focal Length28.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
File: 1137-6683.jpg (577KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1137-6683.jpg
577KB, 667x1000px
>>3113082

Robert is Here is legit as fuck. It's on County Road 9336 or just Google it and your GPS will take you.

If you have time, and especially if you have a bicycle, head out to 220th St. I'll give you the abridged version: in the mid 1960's Aerojet was competing for the contract to build a motor to send us to the Moon. They lost to the liquid-fueled F-1 designed by Rocketdyne. They designed the world's largest solid rocket motor lit 3 of them off, left the 3rd when they lost the contract and abandoned the facility in 1968. If you Google it, the address shows up and you'll need a bicycle to get to it. Watch for broken glass. Pic related

Also find the NIKE Missile Battery on Card Sound Rd., the other road to get into Key Largo. You'll see the radome towers when you turn left at the 3 way light to head to Key Largo, there's a small turnoff to the left you can hide and explore the installation. They were built in the early 60's to counter a Soviet bomber invasion from Cuba. They were abandoned when the USSR developed ICBM technology, the NIKE Missile couldn't accurately track them so they abandoned most of the facilities, the Everglades National Park has one of the best preserved battery sites in the country.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D
Image Created2014:01:22 19:47:06
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length20.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3113398

*Turn right at that 3 way intersection, sorry. Left takes you to Pelican Island which is a whitewash gated community
>>
>>3112310
You need to plan on spending some serious time in Savannah, GA. It's fucking gorgeous. Also, depending on how far up you start in Maine, Mount Desert Island is really fucking rad.
>>
>>3112310
GET OUT OF MY FLORIDA

But for real, Florida sucks atm. Its being a humid hellscape.
>>
>>3113392
How is it infamous?
>>
>>3113399
Maybe they live in a "whitewash gated community" because they don't want their gear stolen by, what was the term you used? Niggers?
>>
>>3112310

>not doing the crescent

You should, Florida is a shithole.

You get the same bum-fuck nowhere shitholes in Alabama/Mississippi as you would in Florida, but instead of a boring beach you get to top it off with New Orleans.
>>
>>3116429
nah senpai fellow floridafag here, I've been hitting up the empty parts of florida and some beaches, and have gotten some decent starlapses.
>>
>>3116601
new orleans is a bum-fuck nowhere town on steroids, tons of niggers and the whole place smells like piss and vomit.
>>
>>3116574
protip: gated communities usually help out law enforcement #0911 will work most of the time
>>
>>3112310
Fuck 95, take back roads and amble around small towns. I spend a lot of time on the road for work right now and it kills me that I can't just meander thru little towns and shoot what I want. One day tho.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.