[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently sold my Canon 5d Mark 4 for a Sony A7Rii. I mostly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0442.jpg (75KB, 424x644px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0442.jpg
75KB, 424x644px
I recently sold my Canon 5d Mark 4 for a Sony A7Rii. I mostly shoot Astro photography and I noticed the Sony doesn't capture half as many stars. What gives?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width424
Image Height644
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3112237
https://petapixel.com/2017/05/04/star-eater-issue-no-longer-recommend-sony-cameras-astrophotography/
>>
>>3112237
without reading the article I'm gonna guess it's about sony's noise reduction even on raw files
>>
>>3112253
Correct
>>
>>3112256
but that's mentioned a lot on /p/

didn't you pixel peep some astro photos shot on sonys before you made the purchase?
>>
>>3112268
I didn't make any purchase, I was answering >>3112253. Nothing on earth would induce me to buy toy cameras

>but that's mentioned a lot on /p/
Compared to Sonycucks masturbating it is quite a rarity
>>
>>3112237
>buy Sony
>photograph stars
>Sony eats stars
>entire civilizations lost
>gravity altered throughout the universe
>universe flies apart
>THANKS SONY!
See, this is why I just can't bring myself to jump ship from old stubborn Canon to shiny new Sony.

The features, the prices...it's tempting. But every last damn Sony FF MILC has had some fucking problem that shows their engineers are rushing and not doing things right.

If the price for constant innovation is that you constantly have to buy the next one hoping they fixed the problem, only to find a new problem, then fuck it, I'll stick with flappy mirror box cameras.
>>
>>3112237
Good bait. I bet you don't own either of those cameras.
>>
>>3112237
Rip.
Get a 6D mkII and then astro modify it for max profit
>>
>>3112387
The same goes also to you.

>>3112237
Did we talk about sharpening even on raw files too?

nonokosage
>>
>>3112384

If cameras had never existed before this year, and canon, nikon, and sony just entered the field and released their flagship cameras -- there is no fucking chance in hell anyone would purchase anything but an a9.

CaNikon are just established from years and years of being market leaders. The features missing from their flagships would be absolute deal breakers if they were just entering the market. But they aren't, so people overlook that.
>>
>>3112857
good morning poopchute
>>
>>3113084
What?

Also, my argument stands.

Pic related.
>>
>>3113147
>being mistaken for the human sphincter.
You've hit rock bottom my man.

Now if only Sony could integrate their own sensors successfully, stand by their warranty terms, actually fix the fucking litany of deal breaker bugs that afflict their cameras release after release, get some real photographers to represent their products and produce some lenses that actually render in a pleasant manner instead of the current crop of clown vomit CA and total eclipse vignetting overpriced pieces of Shit out there at the moment you might actually have a point.
>>
>>3112857
If canons 4k codec is unusable, then 4k is unusable for sony due to overheating and power drain. So is sonys burst rate, blackout, shutternoise as it drops on mechanical shutter usage. The auto focus isn't that reliable in corner cases, which makes it unusable too. Sharpening and noise reduction makes raw files unusable. Adapters are also unusable due to inconsistent af and is support.

I don't think so, but you probably do. Put down your blinders. CaNikon provides options for the most of your points too, I admit not in one model and not in every combination.
>>
>>3112810
I never implied I did retard.
>>
I heard about Sony's having something that ate stars, but I never noticed anything different. My a7rii on latest firmware is doing better than both my sl1 and a 6300.
>>
>>3113379
You should probably stay away from these threads then, or have the seeds of doubt already been sown?
>>
>>3112857
No, bugs and problems that ruin shots are deal breakers. And Sony seems to have those in spades.
>>
>>3113488
Really? Like what?

I'm a photojournalist and I have not encountered these problems. Like, I'm a person that actually uses their camera for work.
>>
>>3113576
>I'm a photojournalist
lol, show us some of your work
>>
>>3112857
You are delusional. In reality all of Sonys problems would outweigh its supposed features that have been pointed out numerous times on this board, and others. Also most of us would be coming from film, so which film camera has Sony produced that would have driven people to go with it?
Also if cameras had never existed, the they sure as hell would not be digital, but film. So guess what no super duperfeatures in any of them. You Sony fags really grasp at straws to justify why you are happy with inferior equipment.
>>
File: Mfw.jpg (6KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
Mfw.jpg
6KB, 290x174px
>>3113576
>thread about a firmware update that ruins a7r2 for astrophotography
>"Really? Like what?"

Can't remember which issues affect which models, but the times I've been tempted to pull the trigger on Sony FF MILC I've stopped after reading about...
* Sensor flare.
* Posterization even in RAW.
* RAW compression artifacts.
* AF issues.
* Overheating.
* UI issues.
* Build quality (i.e. lack of proper weather sealing).

And now astrophotography. In a month or so I will probably upgrade my DSLR. I hadn't decided yet, but for what I like to shoot my choices were basically A7Rii or 5Ds.

Guess which one I'm picking now.
>>
I thought the A7s was the better body for astro stuff?

A7rii is a great camera, but for different things
>>
>>3113677
I'm assuming you picked the a9?
>>
>>3113702
The a7s range are video cameras, they excel at low light video due to their full sensor readout from a ff sensor. Other cameras bin or skip. For stills it's worse than the a7/a7ii in low light.
>>
>>3113896
It's the best cam they've ever made. Only one with good colour, and insanely clean files at base iso
>>
>have original sony a7s
>can still expose to 30 seconds without having stars eaten

feels ok i guess
>>
>>3113702
>I thought the A7s was the better body for astro stuff?
it arguably is

>>3113896
the a7s range are low light cameras. the a7s and a7s II, in low light, are better than all other a7 series. however, a7r II is almost as good (due to backlit sensor). a7, a7 II, and a7r are garbage in low light compared to a7s and a7s II
>>
>>3113743
>A9
>high resolution photography
Pick one.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.