[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making the switch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Praktica_MTL5B_724668_1.jpg (171KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Praktica_MTL5B_724668_1.jpg
171KB, 640x480px
So I finally got tired of analog photography. Decided to retire my trusty Praktica MTL5B and I'm looking for a similar digital experience. By similar I mean I want something trusty, heavy and to manually control everything.

Also I'm hoping to not spend a million bucks. A used camera will do fine.

Please don't bully me if I'm breaking any rules by making this thread. I did read the sticky and this seems to be ok.

What should I get?
>>
>>3108738
Canon t3i.
>>
>>3108738
What your Budget and what do you mostly use it for?
>>
>>3108738
I love my Canon 40D. It's massive, well built, and fast.
>>
Nooo kurwa, don't tell me you have abandoned the spirit of analog!
>>
Dude, go Fuji.

Tonight's my first time on le P, so I haven't seen yet what their prejudices are on here for or against, but I'll tell you why I love mine. I shot film with an slr for years then got a dslr for a couple k. I enjoyed it for a while while it was new, but I kept shooting with my film slr and the more I shot with both the more I felt the dslr was deficient. So, back to film. For 8 years, besides my phone. I hate editing, and about a year ago I started hearing about Fuji's straight out of camera colors so I got curious. I mostly shot Fuji film already, and they do in-camera film simulations based on their 80 or whatever years of expertise in color so I decided to check it out. Man, Fuji's digital colors are so fuckin good. I got an X-Pro 1, adapted a couple old film lenses, and I gotta tell you, it brought back a lot of the joy of taking pictures that I never got out of my Canon dslr, or my friend's Nikon. They take really beautiful pictures. Look around on YouTube for a while and you'll see pros in different fields all saying, surprised, that they're happy with the shots they get out of camera enough to send them to clients without editing or with only extremely minimal editing. I saw one guy who said he even quit shooting raw and just uses his Fuji jpegs to print books for his wedding clients. I'm on my phone, but if I have time tomorrow I might post a shot from the computer.

Their cameras are smaller and lighter than dslrs and have smaller lighter lenses too. They're great for messing around with adaptors and old lenses, the Fuji x mount glass is some of the best value per dollar out there cuz it's so good. There are also great options for low budget- a used XE 1 runs about $300 in the right places.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
>>
>>3109297
Fuji Is mirrorless, I doubt it will please OP.
>>
>>3109297
Oh, P.S.- I carry around that X-Pro 1 and a spare lens or two, a battery, memory cards, etc. In my bag EVERY DAY because it's light and small enough to do that with. All that stuff together is lighter than the D40 with just the lens on it that the other guy mentioned.
>>
>>3109299
Still the guy with the huge post here- it is mirrorless, and I only ever used a film slr. I experimented with film compacts but only for fun- the film slr was my nigga. But I like it just the same. The newer models even come with prismatic focusing like an old film slr. If that build, the slr body shape, is something you feel most comfortable with, the T10, T20, T1, or T2 are probably more for you than the X-Pro I've got.
>>
Similar experience to using a fairly bad east german SLR? That doesn't exist in digital, because the required basic level of competence completely excluded the soviet bloc even before digital cameras actually came around. (autofocus, motor winding, etc.) So the user experience will be rather different; there'll be menus and shit to deal with, customizations and tweaks and fucking white balance. Or let the idiot modes do everything for you, that'll probably also work pretty well; but there goes the creative control you were forced to have with the Praktica.

But yeah, Fuji's in-camera processing is reputedly quite satisfying for filmfags. I like mine, but I spent coupla grand on it so I'm likely just enjoying my diminishing returns. On the downside, .RAF files are kind of shitty to deal with; the basic raw importing thing in Darktable etc. runs like 4x as slow as with Nikon's NEFs or other bayer-filtered sensors' outputs. So that's a bit dicky.

Also, how the hell is a Praktica ever "trusty"? Was yours made on a thursday?
>>
>>3109297
Fuji marketer spotted
>>
Yes good goy, keep spending the price of a full frame camera over the span of a year
>>
>>3108784
The iso performance is dog shit though.
>>
File: aligned (1).jpg (30KB, 700x229px) Image search: [Google]
aligned (1).jpg
30KB, 700x229px
>>3108738

Sony a7ii.

IBIS, FF sensor, compact, can use all your old film lenses (with the best focus assists available on digital), and has heavily customizable controls.

Really can't be beat.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationUnknown
Image Width700
Image Height229
>>
>>3108803
kurwa, money matters (I assume it might be the reason)
>>
>>3108738
Get a used Nikon D700, use manual focus AI-S lenses.
>>
Canon 5D MK1? I've use it for ages, don't let the age fool you. They're extremely dependable.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.