[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking & backpacking tripods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

i wanna go see waterfalls instead of just looking at pictures

>$250 or less
>4 lbs or less
>usable by a 5'10 male without becoming a hunchback

suggestions?
>>
>bright daylight
>need a tripod

no you don't.
>>
>>3107724
Ever heard of ND filters? Are you living under a rock, Patrick?
>>
>>3107726
>lens-flare tier photography 'trick'
stick to your snapshits
>>
>>3107724
Waterfalls are generally in the middle of the forest, now I know it's been a while since you left your bedroom but it gets quite dark out there, even in the middle of the day.

>>3107720
This board will shill the Dic & Mic E302c from china to hell and back, and well - so am I, it's a solid choice.
>>
OP here, I'm increasing my budget to $300 to accommodate used manfrotto 055XCPRO3 legs; anything else in this price range I should look at?

>>3107724
>waterfalls
>I don't lift
>>
File: DSC_6895c_1.jpg (696KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6895c_1.jpg
696KB, 1600x1068px
>>3107737
>now I know it's been a while since you left your bedroom but it gets quite dark out there, even in the middle of the day.
>implying I don't go /out/ all the fucking time
pretty crazy views from my dark and dreary bedroom

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern906
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)92 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6016
Image Height4016
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:06:27 10:51:08
Exposure Time1/1600 sec
F-Numberf/5.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating280
Lens Aperturef/5.3
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length92.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1600
Image Height1068
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3107753
So you have no excuse and should know better?
>>
File: DSC_2231.jpg (505KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2231.jpg
505KB, 1600x1063px
>>3107756
I mean if you want to drag a fucking tripod all that way be my guest, but I'm firm on my belief that you don't need one.

Don't twist an ankle backpedaling. Another dark and dreary picture of the big spooky innawoods that I didn't need a tripod for.

Camera ModelNIKON D90
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.9
Color Filter Array Pattern886
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)36 mm
Image Width4288
Image Height2848
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:07:04 15:51:11
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/3.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/3.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length24.00 mm
Image Width1600
Image Height1063
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3107759
There's next to no overhang above you in that forest, where I'm from the branches block out the sun - furthermore, I can't help but notice you're not posting nice pictures involving moving water, is it because you simply don't have any nice images? Maybe you'd be able to do it with a tripod perhaps?
>>
File: DSC_0661.jpg (719KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0661.jpg
719KB, 1600x1068px
>>3107763
>I can't help but notice you're not posting nice pictures involving moving water, is it because you simply don't have any nice images? Maybe you'd be able to do it with a tripod perhaps?

Hot from my bedroom, the place I never leave.

Camera ModelNIKON D750
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.6
Color Filter Array Pattern866
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image Width6016
Image Height4016
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:07:04 15:58:34
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias-1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length28.00 mm
Image Width1600
Image Height1068
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3107765
Again, not in a forest - where you had the ability to push up to 1/250th
>>
File: DSC_5108.jpg (1MB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5108.jpg
1MB, 1600x1068px
>>3107768
Well, you got me-- I don't have many shots of waterfalls in the forest in low light conditions. too bad there was no such stipulation in the OP about deep dark spooky innawoods tripod usage-- it was about the ND water blur meme.

One more pic of me not ever leaving my bedroom but still managing to snag a waterfall photograph.

Camera ModelNIKON D750
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.4
Color Filter Array Pattern854
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image Created2017:07:04 16:00:48
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/9.0
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width1600
Image Height1068
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3107770
>it was about the ND water blur meme.
It was also not about this
>>
File: DSC_4575rs.jpg (411KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4575rs.jpg
411KB, 1600x1068px
>>3107772

>>3107726
>Ever heard of ND filters?

Carrying a tripod on a hike is fucking ridiculous. If you must, get hiking poles with an adapter on the top-- or do what the rest of us do when you want a low light shot in the woods-- improvise.

Camera ModelNIKON D750
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.6
Color Filter Array Pattern918
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image Width6016
Image Height4016
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:07:04 16:07:31
Exposure Time2.5 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length28.00 mm
Image Width1600
Image Height1068
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3107775
That wasn't me or the Op dude, that should've been fairly obvious.

And in this world of carbon fiber everything, a tripod is not an unrealistic addition to a hikers kit if you're already being so grandiose as to bring a modern camera that is not also affixed to your phone.
>>
>>3107779
>a tripod is not an unrealistic addition to a hikers kit if you're already being so grandiose as to bring a modern camera that is not also affixed to your phone.

>bulky
>heavy
>can be accomplished with trekking poles

Like I said, if you really want one, I'm not going to stop you. I'm just saying you don't -need- one, and you can get 95% of the utility through improvisation or a multi-use trekking pole.
>>
>>3107783
>bulky
>heavy

These are not truths, especially not with Op's revised $300 budget
>>
>>3107775
did you use a trekking pole for this shot, cause I certainly can't hold my camera steady for 2.5 seconds
>>
>>3107783
A carbon tripod with head weighs in at about 1-1,7kg depending on robustness.

Sure that's a lot if you're a minimalist hiker, but if you're bringing thw kind of camera and gear that would want you to bring one in the first place anyway, it's not really unbearable. I've done 20km dayhikes in full sperg camera gear, and multi-day ones with sliggtly less junk.
3-4kg isca good deal of chunk to carry for long times, I agree, but as photography is one of the primary reasons I get oit and hike in the first place, I'd personally feel bummed out with a "subpar" level of equipment.
>>
>>3107791
Improvised using snow and trekking pole. Was certainly glad I didn't have to haul a tripod up there, considering my pack weight was already 50 pounds.
>>
just take a monopod and an ultrapod II (a small high strength tripod with a velcro strap for attaching to your monopod, or fences, or trees, etc)

Theres no excuse for carrying a full tripod anymore unless you're an m43 user.
>>
>>3107737
>This board will shill the Dic & Mic E302c from china to hell and back, and well - so am I, it's a solid choice.
I usually do that too, but with the "usable by a 5'10 male without becoming a hunchback" he probably wants the P303C (175cm) or a similar larger tripod.

It'll be around 1.7kg with the standard head, and you theoretically have the option to install a lighter head if you don't need 15kg load capability.
>>
>>3107743
>>3107800 (cont'd)
PS: That one -like other comparable Chinese tripods- is typically around $130-140 shipped depending on the seller's price of the day.

Should be easily within budget even if you need to pay EU-tier import fees.
>>
>>3107759
>Another dark and dreary picture of the big spooky innawoods that I didn't need a tripod for.
>f3.8
>Only one tree in focus

You did need a tripod.
>>
>>3107799
>velcro strap
Interdasting. Is this velcro strap part of the tripod dealie or something you rigged up yourself?
>>
What about one of those GorillaPods... wrap it around a tree branch
>>
>>3107831
it comes with the ultrapod II

>>3107821
daily reminder you've never taken a photo that wasn't flickr-tier
>>
>>3107720
just get a walking stick with tripod mount.
>>
>>3107720
>usable by a 5'10 manlet without becoming a midget
>>
>>3107839
Can sometimes work, but I personally found it an arsepain to actually use.

There isn't always a well-positioned tree branch, and even if there is, it usually takes longer to get a good shot with that than a tripod.
>>
There's no way in fuck you'll be able to do any meaninful hikes beyond walks in the park with a fully extended tripod at your side. Plus it looks autistic.

Get a capture clip (overpriced at $50-70, but suck it up because it's one of the better options).

You've missed a good chunk of time for sweet waterfall shots, as the best time is when the snow is actively melting (May-early Jun ... or even earlier).
>>
>>3107870
>with a fully extended tripod at your side
I'm pretty sure he'd just carry it in a bag.

Setting the tripod up in the locations where it matters takes like 30 seconds, same as stowing it away. Of course you probably do other shots handheld.
>>
>>3107872
My hiking bag is full of food and camping equipment (along with emergency space for a camera should I be stuck in inclement weather).

The tripod is shortened and either strapped to the side (upright) or to the bottom of the pack. For longer hikes, I prefer using a monopod that doubles as a hiking stick.

I assume OP is just going to do light walks that people on Instagram call hikes, so you can store your tripod inside your bag if it fits.
>>
>>3107876
> The tripod is shortened and either strapped to the side (upright) or to the bottom of the pack.
Oh, sure, you can also do that.

I personally generally prefer to strap a tripod bag to the same places on a backpack for mountainous or unknown terrain, both for protection and the ability to leave the main bag somewhere and walk around that area taking photos with just the tripod, camera and some water.

> For longer hikes, I prefer using a monopod that doubles as a hiking stick.
Just a standard monopod, or is it some special design?
>>
>>3107876
>The tripod is shortened and either strapped to the side (upright) or to the bottom of the pack.
This is the line that reveals you're just roleplaying.
You'd fucking know where you carried your tripod if it were reality and not your imagination.
You're a fucking joke.
>>
>>3107821
fuck off nerd
>>
I personally don’t take a tripod but I have no problem with those who do. Different people have different techniques, I usually go handheld or stick it on a rock or something. Of course I’ll keep a tripod in the car for those particular easy-to-reach shots.
>>
>>3107720
I just purchased a waterproof tripod from Sirui.

Model: W1204

I took it out in the ocean the other day while the tide was coming in. Performed amazing. The thing didn't budge and the waves were coming above the top screw joint. I was able to get shake free shots at 5s exposures.

It's a lil more than $250 -- but it's already shown how capable it is. I think it's worth the money.
>>
>>3107889
What type of autism is this?
>>
Stupid question, but pertinent to this thread, what about shutter speed with running water, waterfalls in particular? Is it cool to run it up to say, 1/800 or a little more and try to get the actual droplets of water, or is it better to let it flow a little and stick with 1/320 or less? Is this the "art" part, or the meme part, of nature photography?
>>
>>3107934
You do you, my guy. Do whatever you want and find out for yourself what looks best in each situation.
>>
Manfrotto befree carbon with ballhead? Fits pricerange and weight limit I guess.
>>
>>3107883
It is a hiking stick where you can unscrew the top and screw on your camera. I'm not sure if any regular monopod would also double as a hiking stick.

>>3107889
My bag came with a strap on the side to hold a tripod. Even though it's carbon fibre, it throws off my balance slightly so I sewed an equivalent strap on the bottom and carry it where others carry their sleeping mats (etc).

What part of I-can-carry-my-tripod-in-two-different-spots causes your autism to flare up?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.