[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder your only pro if you make 100k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: unknown.png (184KB, 1111x533px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
184KB, 1111x533px
>>
What a fucking mongo
>>
>>3106646
t. Not A Pro
>>
File: 1470596170089.jpg (22KB, 261x323px) Image search: [Google]
1470596170089.jpg
22KB, 261x323px
>>
he's not wrong, you don't qualify as a professional in ANY field if you can't pull 6 figures or more.
>>
File: 5de.png (519KB, 680x1090px) Image search: [Google]
5de.png
519KB, 680x1090px
>>3106655
>>
>>3106645
>>3106655
I mean the word professional implies requiring a license to practice in a given field. Doctors, lawyers and architects require degrees and certifications. Anyone can buy a camera and take photos for money, there's no hard barrier to entry on the academic side. So in other words if you want to be this pedantic, there is no such thing as a professional photographer.
>>
File: 1491655678464.png (132KB, 380x496px) Image search: [Google]
1491655678464.png
132KB, 380x496px
>>3106672
>there is no such thing as a professional photographer.

my whole life is a lie.
>>
File: madaf.jpg (16KB, 397x397px) Image search: [Google]
madaf.jpg
16KB, 397x397px
If you make most of your money from it, you're a pro w/ whatever it is.
Don't be autistic
>>
>>3106672
>Anyone can buy a camera and take photos for money

-A man that has never been paid to take photographs.
>>
>>3106721
>Anyone can buy a camera and take photos for money
This is true. Not very common, and probably won't be paid much but true.
>>
>search for jfinity photography
>no website, just a facebook page
>only 6900 likes

>it's cosplay photography
>and not very good cosplay photography

wew ladz. but also, the other guy is right. photography is a trade or a craft, not a profession. you can never be a "professional" photographer.
>>
File: nq4wp5oi6xky.jpg (47KB, 750x512px) Image search: [Google]
nq4wp5oi6xky.jpg
47KB, 750x512px
>>
>>3106645
you can ban maidbot, but you can't hide the truth
>>
>>3106731
>carpentry is a trade. There's no such thing as a professional carpenter
>>
>>3106962

There is no such thing as a professional carpenter, you are correct.

Here's a quick tip to tell the difference: if you have to say you're a professional, you aren't one.

No one says they're a professional doctor, right? They're just a fucking doctor. You legally can't call yourself a doctor unless you're certified to be one, so there's no need to clarify.
>>
>>3106672
You're not being pedantic enough.

>profess: claim, often falsely, that one has (a quality or feeling).

I don't see any barrier to entry for anyone, or anything.
>>
>>3106721
If you own a nice camera and take decent photos it isn't hard to get paid work. I've had multiple people ask to shoot weddings. I have no wedding pictures in my portfolio but I own a nice camera and take pretty photos so they want me to do it.
>>
>>3106985

Profess is a verb, nitwit. A profession is a noun.
>>
If you get paid for something you earn any part of a living you are a professional.
>>
>>3107021

nope. :)
>>
>>3106967
because there are no amateur doctors you tard
>>
>>3107049

Hey, you figured it out! Way to go, kiddo.
>>
>>3106967
So playing basketball is a trade? Anyone can play basketball at varying levels of competition, but only few get paid to do it in professional leagues. That's what separates an amateur (in the true sense of the word) and a professional basketball player. There's no such things as a basketball license that officially turns you pro.

Fact is, if you get paid to do it, it's a profession. Licensing and certification is rather recent in human history.
>>
>>3107067
Found the professional shitposter. How's it paying...kiddo?
>>
>>3107075

Basketball actually has local, regional and national organization, as well as a code of ethics, so in that regard it's far more professional than photography.

>>3107079

I'm flattered that you think I'm good enough to go pro, but I do this for free.
>>
tfw I got banned from the discord and I don't know why
>>
>>3107220
Don't complain, they did you a favour
>>
The lack of basic knowledge here is hilarious.

Firstly "professional" means nothing more than "commercial", which means nothing more than you do something for monetary interest.

Secondly "making 100k" means nothing. That's just rediculous. I could take 5 Mio shekels and invest it in names, exhibition and marketing and when I then "make 100k" I'm a huge failure.

So, by definition any photographer who works for money is a professional. And any photographer who earns more than he or she invested is a successful professional.

The rest is scalability. And you must be a real greenhorn to think that scalability is only related to talent or hard work, it's a lot starting conditions and pre-existing networks. And luck.
>>
>>3107262

Fuck off retard.
>>
>>3106645
Yeah I make 300K a year with photog
>>
>>3107067
>I was just pretending to be retarded

Oh, forgot in which season we are sorry
>>
>>3107182
>I'm flattered that you think I'm good enough to go pro, but I do this for free.
That's pretty depressing my guy
>>
>>3106645
invite link pls
>>
Eh. My event photography only earns me about $30K but my nightclub photography adds another $40K on top a year. Nightclub stuff is much easier and more reliable too.

Plus all the free alcohol, party favors and easy girls :)
>>
>>3107398

Almost as depressing as people who are so desperate for validation that they have to make up imaginary qualifiers for their job title.

The only reason people call themselves "professional photographers" is pure insecurity.
>>
Actually professional is to profess.

Medics profess, lawyers profess.
You make photos. You cant be a professional since you are not getting paid to talk and give advice. You are paid for a certain product you make.

Of course you can have characteristics associated with a professional such as responsibility, ethics, high income, etc. But that doesnt make you a pro.

In the common and WRONG use of the word, to be pro is to make 75% of your monthly income from that particular activity, and 50% to be considered semipro. It doesnt matter the amount as long as you make most of your money from it.

tl:dr there is no professional photography.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.