[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into flash meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 11368794.jpg (227KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
11368794.jpg
227KB, 2048x1366px
I've never used an external flash before but I want to invest in one. The problem is every article I could find about flash only tell me about ridiculous setup involving multiple wireless flash in every directions echoing each and other memes I don't quite understand like rim/pass lights, xbox huge softbox. It feels overwhelming for a "flash basics".

Is there any point in using a single external flash mounted on the camera and not wirelessly triggered? What are some cool trick I could do with a single flash beside "here's some more light directly in your subjects face"?
>>
>>3106246
Bounce it. You can totally do quite a bit with an on camera flash if you bounce it.
However, you can just pick up a cheap flash set up very easily. A wireless trigger fits onto your camera hot shoe and your flash bottom. They cost like 15 usd on Amazon. Grab one.
>>
>>3106246
If I want to recreate this photo, what kind of flash setup do I need?
>>
http://nickfancher.com/photography-books/
This guy is good at getting unique results from good gear.
His instagram is good for BTS setups too.
>>
>>3106303
Bump
>>
>>3106833
>>3106303
My guess is a soft box in front of the girl that is daylight balanced with camera white balance set to this light. A weaker but harder light slightly behind and to the right of the girl that i tungsten balanced to make the hair light glow an orange color. Obviously the background is black so nothing needs to be done there (apart from perhaps crushing the blacks in photoshop to correct level) And a shallow depth of field to make the light props in the background look more like bokeh
>>
>>3106946
Also, maybe a reflector to the left of the frame to bounce some of the tungsten light on the rim of her face
>>
>>3106946
likely this, but instead of a reflector to the left of the frame I'd say there's a flash with a blueish filter on the left of the frame and a bit behind the model pointed towards her so to give her face the blueish outline

plus very good makeup as well
>>
>>3106246
Triggers are dirt cheap, or just use a hotshoe extension cable.

2nd hand yongs go for $15

Money is never an excuse not to know how to use flash
>>
>>3106246
>any point in using a single external flash mounted on the camera and not wirelessly triggered?
being able to move around
say you're shooting a local sports event/fair, small enough, people moving around, and it's dark
you want to take pictures of everything/everyone and with an on camera flash you can move around while being able to light everyone/everything you need

even, more, if you're in a closed space and you're taking pictures of, say, a conference, or even portraits, you can point the flash upwards (or left or right or even down if you keep the camera vertical) and bounce the light on the walls/floor (works good if they're white, not so good if they're black) to make it softer, more diffused - because light softness depends on the area of the light source basically. which is why octaboxes are softer than single flashes
a number of point sources work just as good but they have to be a lot, think movie studios

on camera flash has a disadvantage tho - if the light source and the destination (your glass in this case) form a very small angle with the eyes of your subject, they look red, and while that looks bad it's fixable if you don't have much pictures
if you start thinking about hundreds on hundreds of pictures it gets a little discouraging
>rimlights
well look for a picture of one
it can be useful for some kind of photography if you want to point the light in a more precise manner while keeping the light source big - using a smaller softbox/octabox would result in a harsher light
it can also be useful to "draw" on a subject, for product photography for example, giving it a noticeable "sparkle", brightness, in a point/line/area
>passlights
never heard of those
>huge softboxes
smoother light
also octaboxes, in my experience they're often better
I tho own octaboxes and have used softboxes some 2 times so I might be biased
>cool trick I could do with a single flash
stay tuned for part 2
>>
>>3107390
>cool trick I could do with a single flash
you can make your subjects stand out more
close your eyes or open a web search engine, search (in your mind or...) for an image of a person standing in a field of barley, it's evening so the sun is down and the color of the light is very warm, golden you might say, and the person has a bright yellow/orange outline
you can replicate that effect by putting a flash behind a subject
if you also want the same color you'll need a gel aka colored plastic to put in front of your flash to give the light funny colors, you can get a pack of gels from amazon, aliexpress, you name it

gels are also very good to have if you're shooting in daylight with a flash - daylight is warmer than the flash light so unless you warm up the flash light a bit you'll end up with a fairly bad looking effect where you have to either white balance for the flash light and get a yellow background or for the daylight and get a very pale subject

also as I said before you can bounce flash light on walls to get a smoother light

if you want a very simple trigger you can surely get a cheap one, tho if you want to be able to control the flash parameters from the trigger (very convenient if you have more than one flash, essential if your flashes are inside a softbox or octabox) then you'll have to shell out some €100
I recommend shanny if you want cheap enough flashes and a trigger, I have 8 of them and they work as good as the 600RT in pretty much every situation
the trigger is also better than the canon's
>>
What is the difference between gels and cellophane you can get from any crafts store (except for the price tag)
>>
>>3107465
gels often come with a color temperature rating and they're usually "standard", meaning you can mix and match with little worry
if you don't care about that, one or probably more layers of cellophane are effectively the same thing
be careful that the part that the light passes through doesn't have wrinkles so you can avoid funny unwanted reflections
>>
Look up strobist
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.