[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good rangefinders (film or digital)?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14

File: D3S_9991-1200.jpg (245KB, 1200x829px) Image search: [Google]
D3S_9991-1200.jpg
245KB, 1200x829px
Hey anon,
I'm thinking of getting a decent rangefinder but I'm having trouble deciding between film/digital. I'll be using it mainly for street/ everyday photography and maybe some portrait too. I do not mind manual focusing or shooting film, but what am I not sure is which system is better at being discreet and unobtrusive while shooting. From the analog side, I'm thinking of Olympus SP 35 or Canonet QL17. I might consider the newer Fuji X-Pro/X100T as they seem to be pretty cheap for digital. I would prefer to have manual control over the camera in addition to auto modes (so that leaves several rangefinders out, e.g. Yashica Electro). Let me know if there's any other models you would recommend.

INB4 Get a Leica, too overpriced desu

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
File: ibpcgx12076.jpg (133KB, 550x436px) Image search: [Google]
ibpcgx12076.jpg
133KB, 550x436px
For street photography there's nothing better than this bad boy, professionals' choice, classic.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSC-H50
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.7
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution3 dpi
Vertical Resolution3 dpi
Image Created2012:09:07 15:22:36
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length19.60 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1513
Image Height1201
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Konica hexar rf or zeiss ikon zm
>>
File: Canon_P.jpg (509KB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Canon_P.jpg
509KB, 1800x1350px
>>3100435
No film or digital camera is really invisible, unless it's a tiny spy camera. Best you can do is to carry something that looks quaint and nonthreatening. SP35 or QL17 should be fine, given their 35mm FL, as long as the camera is in good working order. But those were consumer cameras, so don't expect them to hold up to abuse.

Check out the Canon P/Canon 7. They're affordable, solid, and should be easy to find in good working order. Get a Canon or Voigtlander 35mm LTM lens to go with it. The 35mm framelines are hard to see on the P if you wear glasses, though.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot G7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2008:08:19 16:49:00
Exposure Time1/10 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length14.78 mm
Image Width1800
Image Height1350
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3100435
x-pro's and leica m are really big, they're the size of a decent hybrid.
I think the X100 series hits a nice spot between size, discreetness (it has a leaf shutter) and image quality.
I'd probably consider film p&s if i were you
>>
>>3100435
Have you shot RF cameras before? It's not for everybody though. Hardcore SLRfags won't even touch one.

Canon P is a good bang for buck>>3100464. You could also buy a cheap soviet or yashica RF just to test the experience.
>>
File: 20170608-54250025.jpg (1MB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170608-54250025.jpg
1MB, 960x1200px
I have an Olympus 35RC, and it's a delightful little camera. The rangefinder itself if a little tricky to use sometimes, because it's so small, but the lens and form factor are phenomenal. It's got a shutter-priority mode and pretty reliable metering.

I've heard the SP is even better, so that seems like a solid pick.

pic related

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 (Macintosh)
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:06:13 15:45:03
>>
>>3100435
The Oly rangefinders are pretty nice. The 35SP (and variations) has an excellent lens (and a spot meter!). 35RC is super compact and fun. 35RD is somewhere in between the two, smaller than the SP, faster lens than the RC.

It's not full auto, but if you're looking for a discreet, everyday carry rangefinder, don't forget about the Olympus XA. It's a Maitani magic engineering marvel and wonderful in use.
>>
>>3100855
>It's not full auto
*It's not fully manual
>>
>>3100611
I have shot a used p&s with a little rangefinder on the side. But I hate how it uses the in-built flash each time I start it up, so I have to set it back everytime
>>
>>3100990
>rangefinder on the side
That's just a viewfinder anon.
>>
X100 and XPro are not rangefinders at all. They prety much rely on autofocus as focussing by wire is horrible.
If you want to go digital you're stuck with either a Leica (M9 onwards as M8 is srsly showing its age) or a Epson RD-1 which even has a manually cocked shutter.
>>
>>3100435
I don't know if you would count this, but the pen-f has an electronic view finder. If you use it with the 20mm panasonic you get a small profile that is great for street shooting.
>>
My X-pro1 is a great camera but it is true that it's totally not a rf. The evf simulate a rangefinderish way to manual focus but sincerely it's not the best way to focus, focus peaking works way better in my opinion.
If shooting film isn't an issue and you want something better than those flea market rangefinders but not as pricey as the Leica look for a voightlander camera, like the famous bessa R2.

Or you can be komrad and look out for a zorky rangefinder.
>>
>>3101214

Evf sometimes can be an issue, like in low light situations.
>>
Get an X100T, it's a brilliant camera and the viewfinder is brilliant.
>>
>>3101228
>not the x100f
>>
>digital
>rangefinder
this tomfoolery needs to end.
>>
>>3101285
Wouldn't you like a digital FF contax g2?
>>
>>3101290
i want a digital Mamiya 7 thank you.
>>
File: 1494004311791.png (22KB, 418x559px) Image search: [Google]
1494004311791.png
22KB, 418x559px
>>3101292

and I want a deepthroat bj from Heather Brooke
>>
>>3101292
you mean a MF digital rangefinder?

Are we even going to see that in our life span? How much would it cost one with the same GFX 44x33 sony sensor?
>>
>>3101296
>le MF digital rf meme again
no, a mirrorless medium format camera with the shape of a mamiya 7.

and i dont want cucked tiny dicked sensors i want 60x70mm or just give me death already.
>>
File: 1435717471263.png (132KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1435717471263.png
132KB, 300x300px
>>3101297
>a mirrorless medium format camera with the shape of a mamiya 7
That's what I said.

Also,
>6x7 sensor
My body isn't ready for this shit.
>>
>>3101301
can you even imagine that shit? also the ability to take pentacon 6 glass, pentax 67 glass, also autocropping for true 6x6 experience.
>>
File: canon-canonet-ql17-g-iii_031.jpg (75KB, 980x600px) Image search: [Google]
canon-canonet-ql17-g-iii_031.jpg
75KB, 980x600px
considering grabbing one of theses, they seem like the best budget rangefinder for the price, anyone have experience with them?
>>
>>3101336
They're getting a little pricey for what they are, which is a consumer camera, but the lens is nice. Just make sure the controls are still well-lubricated and that the shutter speeds are accurate.
>>
>>3101336
Massively overpriced right now IMO. If you can find one for a good price, you can't go wrong though.
>>
>>3101336
I no joke found one of these at a antique store for $40. Was probably broken but I'd still inquire about it if I weren't 700 miles away.
>>
I see no reason why the Sony a6300 isn't the perfect camera for this purpose- rangefinder design with removable lenses and modern features; run it with a pancake and be done

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-6300-body-kit
>>
>>3101435
I agree, and I used my NEX-7 this way for years. my only reservation with that is that rangefinders are best used with rangefinder lenses - small, MF, with focusing tabs on wide angles - and rangefinder wides tend to misbehave on digital sensors. some are ok, though. SLR pancakes tend not to be pancakes anymore once you put them on an E-mount adapter.
>>
File: Minolta-Hi-Matic.jpg (40KB, 455x376px) Image search: [Google]
Minolta-Hi-Matic.jpg
40KB, 455x376px
well i bit the bullet and got this for pretty cheap in good condition, the only problem is the battery situation with these cameras.

Apparently the mercury cell used back in the day is now banned which you now have to find alternatives
to power the camera such as using lr44, sr44, or a 1.3v equivalent. problem is the lr44 and sr44 are 1.5v and can throw your
meter off by a stop and in order for the batteries to work you need to fabricate some foil or metal to fill the gap in the battery compartment.

ill be testing using sr44 as they're supposedly longer lasting than air-zinc batteries, although they are still rated at 1.5v. ill test accordingly on arrival
and will shoot a roll and eventually post results.

for info purposes and for anyone who cares or is enduring the same situation, ill post results when the camera and batteries arrive in the mail, if anyone has some tips
please by all means share.
>>
>>3101620

There is a battery adapter thing, that you can sit an lr44 into so that it will fit the compartment, and it will limit the voltage so that the meter isn't thrown off.
>>
>>3101620
You can get an MR-9 adapter which will bring the voltage down to 1.3V (and keep using SR44, definitely not LR44).

Cheapest I've found is one made by 'pratedthai' on eBay. Have one and it works perfectly fine.

Or if you're not afraid to open your camera and use a soldering iron, you could add a voltage reducing diode to the battery circuit. Usually not that hard (just screw off the bottom plate, find the wire coming from the battery compartment) and those are just a few cents.
>>
>>3101622
>>3101632
thanks for the info!

So what I've found was this... the m-9 adaptor some sellers on eBay are charging around 20 usd for each individual adaptor which would be 40, imo
is a bit out there for the price. They're made of "high-quality" brass, and should lower the voltage.

Ive also found a cheaper adaptor that comes in a pack of 2 for a lot cheaper however this one is made of copper. Im not sure how this will affect
the metering or circuitry at all of the camera but I'm looking into it.

so if I'm seeing the logic in this, i will use the sr44 batteries in these two cheap adaptors and hopefully that will take care of powering the camera, and
then i would use a piece of bunched up tinfoil to occupy the second empty battery slot?

let me know if that sounds like it would work
>>
>>3101749
Just use aluminium foil to fill the gap. Don't give shekels to jews.
>>
>>3101749
The adapter in your pic does not alter the voltage, it just makes it fit the battery compartiment.

If the voltage changing adapters are too expensive, just compensate with the ISO dial (use a different camera to calculate the ISO offset first). Won't be 100% accurate in all conditions but probably good enough if you're shooting for fun (even for slides).

>so if I'm seeing the logic in this, i will use the sr44 batteries in these two cheap adaptors and hopefully that will take care of powering the camera, and then i would use a piece of bunched up tinfoil to occupy the second empty battery slot?
Don't get what you're saying here, why would you need extra tinfoil?
If your camera takes two PX625 batteries you need 2 SR44 batteries and some way to keep them in the battery compartment. You can use 2 adapters (voltage changing or not) to make it fit just like the batteries it used to have, so no tinfoil or w/e is needed. (Unless your camera somehow uses even MORE than 2 PX625 batteries, which would be quite extraordinary)

You could go even cheaper and just use whatever you have lying around to keep the batteries centered in the compartment. I usually make a little plastic cylinder so the smaller SR44s fit snuggly, so you technically don't even need any adapter.
>>
File: IMGP6186.jpg (116KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP6186.jpg
116KB, 1024x683px
>>3101753
yea i think ill just use the two sr44 and pack some tin foil to fill the gaps.

>>3101755
Not that i need extra tin foil but i was referring to the actual slots in the battery compartment, theres two slots where the original batteries would go but
since 1 sr44 is about half the size of 1 original battery i guess i would just fill one side of the battery compartment with tinfoil to bridge the contacts and fill
the other side with the two batteries for power.

similar to pic related

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Photographer[email protected]
Image Width1024
Image Height683
>>
>>3101336
I had one, sold it for triple the price thanks to hipster tax.

My verdict is that they are tedious to use, they have an annoying battery issue, and they are hard to focus.

They aren't light and it's just a matter of taste really. I found them to be trash, I have no idea why people like Canonets so much, they are a pain to use.

I would buy one cheap, and then flip it.
>>
A Yashica Electro 35 or a Konica Auto S2 is a better alternative to a QL17 at this point tbhfamalam. A Canon P is a better buy than a QL17 at the prices they go for.
>>
>>3101817
>Konica Auto S2
This. It's a bit big for a fixed lens rangefinder (good if you have big hands), but it's still cheap and has a spectacular lens. Very high resolution.
>>
File: 82840006.jpg (2MB, 1545x1024px) Image search: [Google]
82840006.jpg
2MB, 1545x1024px
>>3101336
Make sure the light seals are replaced or get one cheap and do it yourself.

I really enjoy that I don't need a battery to use it. But idk if that's uncommon with rangefinders.

Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Camera SoftwareEZ Controller 6.40.003 (150911)
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width1545
Image Height1024
>>
>>3102001
How hard is it to fix the lightseals yourself? Got a Canonet for ten bucks, looks like its in good shape besides the lightseals beeing melted.
>>
>>3102574
Super easy. Get a cheap sheet of light seal foam from Aki-Asahi (he possibly even has a pre cut one for Canonet, haven't checked). The leftovers will last you another 20 cameras.
>>
>>3102576
Thanks for the suggestion, how well would it work for me to use black strings of wool or felt and the like?
>>
>>3102597
It can be done. You can also get sheets of self-adhesive foam from the craft store that you can cut to size yourself. Pretty cheap.
>>
>>3102574
Just use an old mousepad and glue it.
>>
File: ZPR-fuji-x100f-front-silver.jpg (177KB, 1024x578px) Image search: [Google]
ZPR-fuji-x100f-front-silver.jpg
177KB, 1024x578px
>>3101277
I just pulled the trigger on the x100f. Its coming on Friday. Its a little reward for having a difficult year.
>>
>>3103923
I'm jelly as hell. I have an XT10, but I would not mind a x100F at all.
>>
>>3103984

not >>3103923 but hows the xt10 holding up? I mainly shoot film right now and had my fair share of dslrs but never really stuck and always ended up selling them.

Im considering going with fuji for the physical manual controls, I'm looking for that similar film shooting experience. would you think it'd be worth getting an xt10 at this point in time
o are there better options?
>>
>>3104020
2 words; Flippin' awesome.

It was my first proper digital camera, and after learning my chops on film cameras for 7 years the transition was so natural. I love shooting with this thing, the lens selection is incredible, and to me it's the ultimate travel camera.

Combine it with the 35mm f2, and you're set. Also, you can use the fuji film simulation, and if you get everything right in camera, then you spend less time at your computer.

Overall, I am extremely happy, and I hope to get more lenses in the future.
>>
File: streetpunch.webm (182KB, 643x363px) Image search: [Google]
streetpunch.webm
182KB, 643x363px
>>3103984
I'm not >>3104020, I'm >>3103923, but I'm also curious about how how the xt10 is doing. I was considering the xt20 but I wanted a fixed lens.

I'm a cannon guy with a bunch of canon glass, but canon has not really done anything big enough lately.

And BTW: don't be jelous. Get what you want... treat yourself cause you cant take the money with you when you go to the great darkroom in the sky.
>>
>>3100435
I can get a pretty good condition Leica M2 for 430€, is that a good price ?
>>
>>3104043
That's pretty good, yes, as long as it's in working order and the rangefinder doesn't have any separation. See if you can find out the last time it was serviced, and if you can't, then budget for a CLA and keep some funds aside in case of mechanical problems that may crop up.
>>
>>3104044
how much is cla ?
>>
>>3104034
The xt20 is basically 90% XT-2 at half the price. I'll say again I can't be happier. I'm trying to get my gf to sell her 450D and all the glass that goes with it to get a x100t or a xt10.

I dont know if I'll be upgrading soon, or if there is any point.
>>
>>3104068
>I dont know if I'll be upgrading soon, or if there is any point.

*Leaf shutter, high speed sync with any dumb flash
*small form factor for street.
*light and easy to carry for trips I'm planning thiis year.
*35mm fixed. Foot zoom
*Built in ND filter combined with hss. Crush that ambiant light. Shoot noon day, overpower the sun with a 30 dollar flash.
*cool retro look- shoots like a leica, looks like a Fisher Price.
Mine is arriving tommorow. I wonder if I should make an Unboxing video. Short story, BRO:

Last year Amazon had some crazy deal. GOPRO silver for 39 dollars and a bunch of mounts. What came was a new gopro with out the listed mounts. Contact Amazon. They reaply: keep the go pro for free since the listed mounts are not made anymore. Sorry for the inconviencicen. So now I have a Gopro Silver for free.

Photographerhttp://dvdbash.wordpress.com/
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
>>
>>3104341
Do someone know what the lens on the picture ?
>>
>>3104341
Am I doing something wrong? The image was deleted. Copywrite? It wasn't anything illegal, CP or bait.
>>
>>3104363
Never mind. I just needed to restart firefox. I run linux and tend to never reboot unless there is an update.
>>
>>3104347
Looks like a cheap old tele (zoom?) with a teleconverter.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.