[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pentax k1000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: D3S_6098-1200[1].jpg (227KB, 1200x925px) Image search: [Google]
D3S_6098-1200[1].jpg
227KB, 1200x925px
Hi /p/ im new to photography, and i just got gifted a pentax k1000. Is it a good camera?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>3100225
It's a classic.
>>
>>3100230
so you saing it's descent?
>>
>>3100225
This is pretty much the best camera to start film photography with
>>
>>3100225
Cover the lens, the meter is always on.
>>
Pro tip: if you're gonna shoot film, be extremely selective with what photos you take. Not just that but it's really only worth it if you find a really cheap lab or you develop it yourself (which is relatively easy for black and white).
>>
>>3100473
shit advice. you don't get good at photography by not taking pictures. of course you shouldn't waste film on mindless shooting, but being too precious about it is a surefire way to develop a habit of hesitating and overanalysing.

also, whether something is 'worth it' is entirely subjective. most hobbies require at least some financial investment. OP got his camera for free, he could put ten rolls through it, sell it, and come out having lost nothing, learned a few things, and had a lot of fun in the process.

nice camera, OP. my advice is to pick up a book on 35mm photography from an op shop and study that, but in the meantime, trust your instincts, shoot what you enjoy, let your style refine itself and your camera handling skills improve gradually. shooting manual is hard at first. don't be disappointed if you take a lot of duds. one good photo per 36 exposures is a reasonable goal even for experienced photographers.
>>
>>3100488
I think you failed to notify OP that each roll will cost at least $3, and developing will cost at least $15. If op is just going to blow through $180+ for 240-360 photos he's better off buying a DSLR or using a phone camera and learning the basics with that. Film, at least if you can't develop it yourself, is extremely impractical.
>>
>>3100488
The best way to "get into film" is to buy a DSLR and learn from that, take a million snapshits. Everyone always says your first 10,000 shots will be awful, and coming from someone who has done so, I can affirm that. For OP to get to that level he'll pay around $8500 on just film and developing costs. That's a very conservative amount too. Buying a cheap DSLR is a far better option before delving into film photography.
>>
>>3100497
>$15 to develop
I get mine done locally $4/roll. Idk why all these online labs charge super high fees for c41 you literally just put that shit in a machine and press some buttons
>>
File: 1496832241631.jpg (70KB, 627x680px) Image search: [Google]
1496832241631.jpg
70KB, 627x680px
>>3100500
>The best way to "get into film" is to buy a DSLR

A shitty DSLR will cost him at least 300 bucks.

Camera SoftwareGreenshot
>>
>>3100497
>eveloping will cost at least $15.

jesus where do you live ?
>>
My Brother hast the Pentax.
It's quite a cheap, but good camera.

Better read some reviews on amazon.
>>
>>3100497
Fuji C200 36 in my area costs $4.
$1.2 for the negatives.
$4 for a CD with high res photos, I don't know if its RAW tho.
Funny thing is it's the only film roll the official Kodak store is selling.
>>
>>3100637
Now you see why they are killiing themselves. I talked to some hipsters in europe and everyone shoots HP5 instead of tri-x.
Everybody likes portra but it's expensive as fuck on physical stores. Still no signs of ektachrome comming out.
>>
>>3100225
Yes it is., I had the MX model myself when I shot film many years ago.
Some advice from an old fart. When you first start shooting try, and take notes on you settings, and the film used. This way you learn what works, and what does not. Then you eventually just know, but I always kept notes until I moved to digital.
>>3100265
Only if you do not lock the shutter release when you are not using it.
>>
>>3100661
>Only if you do not lock the shutter release when you are not using it.
How do you even do that on a k1000?
>>
>>3100594
>what is fixed cost vs marginal cost for 400 please Alex
>>
>>3100836
With 400 bucks he can even enter the medium format game.

>FM2 +50mm 1.8/35mm f2
>150 bucks
>AE meme-1 +50mm 1.4
>150 bucks

250 bucks worth of film and processing
Film is the best way to learn photography. Digital is meaningless if you're not being paid to work. When I see a kid holding down the shutter button and I hear the mirror going flapflapflapflapflap I die inside. With film you learn to think before taking the picture.
>>
File: CnEF.jpg (99KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
CnEF.jpg
99KB, 640x480px
>>3100846
Instead of the AE-1(P) I advice the pic related.
Doesn't "require" batteries (Unless you want metering and or 2+ second exposures). It's a great electro-mechanical shutter system. Weights as much as an FTb, and probably easier to find one in working condition compared to either of the AE-1s.
>>
>>3100848
I almost bought a FTb to start playing with SLRs but I ended up with a F3 I found cheap. I don't think I can give up the A mode now, it's very convenient for long exposures.
>>
>>3100637
What store do you buy from? Is it a dedicated film shop or just some walmart
>>
>>3100646
Yes, Kodak is a bit expensive.
Online Portra 400 price in my area costs $10.2
TriX 400 is $8
While HP5 Plus 400 is $6.7

>>3100865
It's an official Kodak Express store inside a mall and they only develop colored film. It's not a dedicated film shop.

Funny thing, all 4 photo stores inside that mall sell the meme Instax shit and only 1 store sells and develops colored film only.
>>
File: IMG_4708.jpg (45KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4708.jpg
45KB, 1000x667px
I just shot 5 rolls through a k1000 that hadn't seen a shutter actuation or fresh battery in over 20 years and i got good results shooting Tri-X. Meter worked just fine. No light leaks. Seems like a rugged camera considering I know the prior owner didn't take any particular caution I storing it.

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height667
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.