[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For my first prime, should I get a 35mm equivalent or a 50mm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

For my first prime, should I get a 35mm equivalent or a 50mm equivalent ? What are the benefits of each?
>>
Kill yourself.
>>
>>3096098
I assume you've been shooting with a zoom prior. which focal lengths do you like shooting with most?
>>
>>3096105
this.
>>
The 50mm is closer than the 35mm. The 50 compresses the background slightly more than the 35. The 35 is wider and gives more sense of depth.

Anything else you'll need to give more specifics, my son.
>>
>>3096108
I just shoot randomly with the zoom.
>>3096116
I heard one was artsy and one was like photo journalism?
>>
RIP DRTV
>>
>>3096122
go out and shoot with your zoom set at 35mm and then 50mm and see which one you want to work with most

or if you want to be lazy and possibly throw away money on a lens you'll rarely use, get a 50mm. not too wide and not too long, so more versatile (tho just keep using your zoom or get a better one if versatility is a big deal for you). most people generally rec owning a good 50mm anyway
>>
>>3096098

I had to make this decision when I got my first camera.

I ended up deciding on getting a 35mm.

And looking back on all of the videos and photos that I've been able to create, I'm so thankful that I chose that focal length as my first prime.

So many videos that I've shot would have been impossible if I had a slightly longer focal length.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the 35mm has been great for me. But, that's just how it's been for me.

I'm sure there are people that can just as easily tell you have their 50mm has saved their ass many times. But for me, my 35mm has been what's saved me.

I can give you specific examples if you want.

But why don't you answer some questions for us:
What type of photography are you interested in?
What type of photography do you see yourself doing?
What type of photography have you enjoyed the most?
When you take a candid photo of someone, do you prefer a tight crop showing their smile lines, wrinkles, subtle expressions in their face? Or do you like to include a little bit of the background, to give context to this emotion?
Is bokeh something that you really love?
Will you be doing video?
How much money are you willing to spend?
What aperture would you like your prime to open up to?
>>
crop body: 35mm
full frame: 50mm
>>
35mm with good macro should you wish to fill the frame would be a good way to go.
>>
>>3096098
50 for both crop and FF.

On FF you get a normal lens and on crop you get a nice fast portrait lens and muh bokeh.
>>
>>3096339
This, I have a crop. I read, "oh you need a prime 50!" I bought one and took my camera to the christmas get together. 50 on a crop, I wasnt able to get a good pic if I was in the same room with the subject at my grandmother-in-law's house.

Hell if your on a crop I suggest looking into a 24 or 28.
>>
>>3096188
This is good advice.

35 is a nice wideness. If I'm not mistaken, it's what your phone shoots at.

The 50 is what I use the most because I'm most comfortable with it. It's not too wide and not too close. Make a little rectangle with your fingers and look through it. It's like that.

You won't know which you like more until you try both, so set your zoom to each one of those and play with them for a day.

Aside, 50s are pretty cheap. I know you don't shoot film, but every film camera I've bought came with one instead of a body cap.
>>
>>3097471
phones are usually 28mm
>>
>>3096105
who says classic /p/ is gone
>>
>>3096105
First of all this

And second: why the fuck are you buying something you obviously don't need yet

You have a chance to prevent becoming a boring gearfag
The point of doing smth is:
>you do it
>you do it some more
>hopefully learn something
>realize what you like more
>"oh this specific thing I like doing a lot would benefit from this other thing"
>you go get other thing, use it, and be happy

Instead you're like
>barely touched or did anything
>don't even know basic differences between two primes and their uses
>by spending money on smth I'll feel better for a little while
>>
>>3096339
This is the only real answer. Get a 35mm on APS-C for an all-around normal lens. Get 50mm on crop only with the understanding that it'll be mainly for portraits.
>>
>>3096188
>go out and shoot with your zoom set at 35mm and then 50mm and see which one you want to work with most

dis
>>
>>3096339
Fell for the 50 mm on aps-c meme and while the portraits were awesome it sucks for many other things like pics in the city or indoors.

35 it much more versatile as a daily walkaround lens
>>
>>3096098
Bought a 24mm, 35mm and a 50mm Sigma Art for a fool frame. Realized I hate changing lenses all the time and went back to a zoom. Luckily they hold their value so was able to sell easily.
>>
>>3096098

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerAnna Wu Photography
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width900
Image Height600
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2011:08:30 22:14:17
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.56 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length16.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1354
Image Height1508
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: file.png (891KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
891KB, 1000x667px
first time? get nothing less than a 50mm F/0.95

----
guaranteed replies
>>
why not both.jpg?

Couldn't really decide between the two so I ended up getting a 40mm 2.8 for my Mark III and IV. I think Fuji also makes a 40 equivalent and Nikon might have one as well.

Dunno what system you have but if I were to start from day 1, zero gear. I'd go with a 50mm equivalent only because more than half my work are portraits and 50 will still have less up close distortion than a 35.
>>
File: 132393713257.png (6KB, 641x681px) Image search: [Google]
132393713257.png
6KB, 641x681px
>>3096105
this. theres a trillion articles and videos on the benefits of both.
>>
>>3098061

>he reads "articles" written by nobodies

lmfao kys my man
>>
>>3096098
Full Frame : Either, 35 will give you a wider FOV and more of a depth feeling.

APS-C or smaller: 35, you'll have to really be far back to use the 50 and crop sensors will fuck with your planning if you're not like 100% used to planning a shot with a crop sensor
>>
File: lsuvzQF07wC3YpNcSkMJ.jpg (80KB, 708x503px) Image search: [Google]
lsuvzQF07wC3YpNcSkMJ.jpg
80KB, 708x503px
>>3098111
like it takes a genius to figure out the differences between 50 & 35mm. baka
>>
>>3097515
this anon speak very wisdom
>>
>>3098111
>I only read articles by Notable Photo Blog Dads
>I'm incapable of thinking for myself and figuring out whether what I'm reading is accurate
>>
Have you thought about 23mm, OP?
I prefer it over 35mm and definitely 50mm for cameras with crop sensors.
It's basically 35mm equivalent.
>>
>>3098178

lol wut
>>
>>3096098
Personally, I think that 50mm is something everyone should have, but 35mm rivals it. I would say just get 35mm if you want more in your shots. I enjoy it just for composing things in a smaller area.
>>
>>3097515
this is true but the entire board will shit on kit lenses all day long like they are worse than dirt so you should be able to understand his assumption that he needs a prime
>>
>>3098146
>>3097732
>>3097582
>>3096737
OP said equivalent, geniuses.
>>
>>3096122
You have not realized the potential of your zoom yet. You don't need lenses, you need skill, creativity, and grit
>>
35mm is boring 50mm
>>
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.