[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maximizing Lighting Effect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I'm rather new to photography and DSLRs, that being said I would like to find some tips to really bring out the lighting in photos such as ones you see on Tumblr (or such as the one linked). Is it about the settings you shoot with or more about what you can do in post and how do you go about doing it
>>
>>3094626
Bump for interest
>>
have you tried a lower shutter speed?
also you can always use Lightroom to increase each colour saturation
>>
>>3094653
Yes i have played around with the shutter speed but at the same time i know very well what i should base it off and then set the other settings to for the effect, that is true ill have to get a free trial and try that out
>>
You need a strong base to start out from, so for a scene like this your prolly want a tripod. From there on its post processing. Get good at Lightroom and photoshop
>>
Underexpose.
>>
>>3095628
why both
>>
>>3095634
>"I want brighter night photos"
>underexpose it

care to explain or are you trolling him
>>
>>3095883
To control the highlights.

But the more obvious answer to OP's question is:

1) Bracketing
2) HDR processing
>>
>>3095883

Did he say he wanted it brighter? "Bring out the lighting" can mean any number of things. To me, based on his included photo, I assumed that he meant he wanted nicely saturated highlights with lots of color. Underexposure (or exposing for highlights) does a great job of doing just that. The brighter your highlights, the less vibrant and colorful they will appear.
>>
>>3094626
>>3095886
Also shoot at blue hour, to not get black sky. Color temperature seems low while tint is towards magenta. Maybe play with some Tungsten film presets in Lightroom and see where it gets you?
>>
>>3095886
>>3095894
whoa, I had a brain fart. I always shoot slide film at night so for some retarded reason I was thinking OP would be too.
you guys are right, ignore what I said
>>
File: sR0004066b.jpg (470KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
sR0004066b.jpg
470KB, 800x800px
>>3094626
That picture has cool lighting because the scene being photographed has cool lighting. It's not created by any camera settings or post processing techniques. It's created by you having a good, trained eye, and getting out and finding interesting shit to point your camera at.

Three fundamental things make up a photograph: subject, lighting, and composition. (notice I didnt include gear used, lightroom filters, photoshop macros, whatever else the kids are using these days).

- get none and you have an image not even worth scanning
- get one and you have an image worth keeping, looking at, and learning from (pic related)
- get two and you have a good image. post it on the internet and think about how you could have gotten the third
- get three and you have something worth adding to your portfolio

Learning how to use your camera (manipulating those little spinny wheels on the top of your camera and lens) is just a prerequisite for even getting in the door. Post processing is a crutch for images lacking the fundamentals. Focus on the important things.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3264
Image Height4352
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:06:16 21:06:47
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness-1.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height800
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3096773
don't be daft and pretentious, you know what he meant.

no, its not all about the scene. if you were standing at that spot in real life, your eyes would not see it like that. unless you are on LSD. that photograph was made, not just taken.
>>
File: officeview.jpg (2MB, 2400x1764px) Image search: [Google]
officeview.jpg
2MB, 2400x1764px
>>3096803
not being daft and pretentious, im being helpful. if youre telling op to create his pictures in lightroom then youre doing him a disservice.

there have been countless times where ive seen a particular scene every day with nothing there, and then one day the perfect combination of lighting will hit it and make the shot. you have to be looking for those situations. no amount of post processing will create them for you, and theyre what separate a bad image from a good one, or a good one from a great one.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:06:16 23:52:05
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2400
Image Height1764
>>
>>3096759

wouldn't you still want to underexpose slide film? it's even more sensitive to overexposure and blown highlights than digital.
>>
>>3096814
mate if you think you were being helpful you have a problem. I refuse to believe you aren't just being pretentious and purposefully misunderstanding OP's question

helpful answers:
>>3095886
>>3095894
>>3096682
>>
>>3096871
Okay well then don't listen to me. Doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other.
>>
>>3096821
No, because slide film doesn't have any more leeway in the shadows than it does in the highlights.
>>
>>3097244

Sure it does. An overexposed slide is just clear plastic, an underexposed slide will still show lots of detail in shadows if you have a bright enough light.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.