[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 42

File: neat.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
neat.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
There's always a need.
>>
Is VCM in autofocus a negative strike against a lens?
>>
Is isi a boi or a grill?
>>
I can't seem to understand the differences between the Aperture priority mode and Shutter speed priority mode. in what circumstances should I pick one over another?
>>
>>3093939
In aperture priority you pick the aperture, the camera does the rest. In shutter priority you pick the shutter speed, idem.
Aperture is for the most part an aesthetic choice, whether you want large or small depth of field around the object in focus.
When stuff is moving around and freezing the action has a higher priority than the depth of field, you use shutter priority to make sure the camera uses a high enough shutter speed.
>>
>>3093946
Thanks for clarifying anon.
>>
File: 92787.jpg (282KB, 1000x1392px) Image search: [Google]
92787.jpg
282KB, 1000x1392px
Should I develop and scan my film or send it off to a company to do so? Ilford Black and White Film.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1000
Image Height1392
>>
>>3093968
You will save money over time if you dev and scan at home. But you need to budget the time it takes to do that for each roll.
>>
If i want to have a geisha type shoot (think araki) do I have to use an asian women? I love the traditional japanese looking women they really are second to none visually, but I'm curious if I try to use another race to add spice to the look if it'll just come off as terrible.
>>
File: 02210111_56c89038d2beb.jpg (176KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
02210111_56c89038d2beb.jpg
176KB, 472x472px
This is a stupid question i own a zeiss ikon zm and i would like to purchase a custom made soft release button for it. There is a japanese designer that hand crafts them out of silver that i would love to buy.
When i try purchase one from his site there is a drop down box where i have to pick my camera from a list unfortunately all the options are leica cameras. I was always under the impression all soft releases were universal? How should i proceed? Does anyone know which leica closely resembles my zm so i may choose that.
Cheers.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image Width472
Image Height472
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:02:21 01:05:38
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width472
Image Height472
>>
File: 810YezTuMWL._SL1500_.jpg (108KB, 643x1500px) Image search: [Google]
810YezTuMWL._SL1500_.jpg
108KB, 643x1500px
What's the Blue Yeti of cameras?
>>
>>3094179
Its probably the same, he just assumes if you're rich and stupid enough to buy a leica, then you're rich and stupid enough to buy a ornamental shutter release.
>>
How do i calculate what diopter piece i need for my rangefinder? Is there anyway i can figure it out myself or do i need to visit a optometrist? I wear glasses.
>>
>>3094239
The simplist way I know how to do this is if you have a diopter set and an slr get a target (something with sharp lines) and measure a set distance (say 2 meters) set the lens to 2 meters and swap through your diopter lenses until the image looks sharp through the lens. If you need a more accurate measure you will probably need to see an optometrist
>>
litchrally anything Canon
>>
Is VCM (voice coil motor) in an autofocus a A bad thing?
>>
this thread is a sign of a dead board
>>
does it matter if you can see the image starting to posterize on the histogram (lines breaking up the waveform) but not when you actually look at it?
>>
This is all on auto and letting the camera pick settings. 3/5 on the kit lenses, 1600 or 3200 iso

At night, I was getting 30th of a second speeds on my t3i, 3.5, no stabilization. But I took my a6000 the other night at 3.5 and OSS turned on and I was getting 1/10 or 1/20. I then tried my adapted minolta 1.7 and I was still getting 1/10, 1/20 at best

What gives? how can I increase the light coming in to get sharp enough shots for handheld?
>>
>>3094567
in this situation you need to be smarter than your camera
If you know you can't handhold 1/30, but you can 1/60
turn the dial to manual
set shutter speed to 1/60, aperture 3.5
take picture
too dark?
increase iso

too grainy? get a faster lens fuck
>>
>>3094387
Only if you even want to manually focus your lense, or have your lense retain focus for any period of time that would involve the camera going to sleep or turning off, or want your lense retaining focus to not require a current draw, or want your lense to work on any camera it's not specifically designed for.
But hey, if everything I just said is a non-issue for you, as it would be for most digiplebs shooting oem lenses, then there's no reason it's bad, and in fact they enable complex lense designs that would not really be possible with traditional helicoids and reciprocating motors driving through gear trains.
>>
how do I into correct focus? even on auto, like a third of my pics have the subject out of focus
>>
>>3093939
Try this:
Set to Aperture priority. Select a static subject very near you with a far background. Stay on just one spot. Shoot with the ff. apertures: 2.8, 3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16.

Another one, set to Shutter speed priority. Stay on just one spot in busy place with people walking or cars moving. Shoot with the ff. shutter speeds. 125, 60, 30, 15, 1sec, 30secs, 60secs.
>>
Do you shoot with both eyes open or do you close an eye?

When I close an eye, it often gets blurry n shit, which makes me miss the "picture you just took" preview, and makes me take a moment extra before being able to go fix something.
>>
If you're selling signed frames prints, do you sign on the print itself? On the matte? Are there pens to avoid for this purpose, which might cause damage to the print?
>>
Do you photograph with your glasses on, or adjust the diopter of your viewfinder with your DLSR?
>>
>>3095300
Who are you asking?
>>
>>3095311
... people who wear glasses and use a DLSR perhaps?
>>
>>3095320
Ah. I thought you were responding t a question.
>>
>>3095325
Nah. Just asking one. I figured a poorly worded inquiry would work in a thread titled "Stupid" questions.
>>
i am bad with cameras. how do i use the aperture properly? i know how it works and what it does, but i am not able to not use it full-open at all times. i only close it a bit more when i need to capture a landscape.

also, many web pages say that my old slr camera has a dof preview. how do i see the actual dof? the image just gets darker since the aperture is closed in the preview mode.
>>
>>3094186
Iphone 4s
>>
Os this the right board to talk about binoculars? If not, then what? /g/, /k/, /out/?
>>
Ok, got one for fujifags. Concerning the Auto DR setting, am I just degrading my IQ for minimal gains? As I understand it, it works by boosting and manipulating the ISO. But since boosting ISO results in inherently lower DR and obviously increased noise is it really worth it? On my X100 it seems to love boosting to unreasonable levels in bright places.
>>
>>3095300
>Do you photograph with your glasses on
yes, but I have to since I'm virtually blind without them, though I don't find it to be a hindrance and don't imagine it would be so even if my eyes were only slightly bad. Constantly taking one's glasses on and off to take a photo would be more annoying imo
>>
>>3093882
Is there any difference between shooting in a b&w mode on a digital camera versus taking all the color out in post?
>>
>>3095504
Thank you! I'll be needing glasses soon. Right now, I can't stand trying with sunglasses on (not that *that* is a good idea, but still ...), as in I can't seem to focus properly or get a good look through the viewfinder with them on.
>>
>>3095750
There can be a huge difference. If you're shooting jpg black and white, the camera just desaturates, and does its own thing with exposure and contrast.

If you shoot jpg in color, you can control what sort of black and white you do.

Even better, if you shoot raw, you have even more options.

There's a reason you can buy colored filters for black and white photography: It can significantly change the appearance of the image. A red filter will not pass blues, and can add a lot of visible clouds to the image, for example. But red objects will appear more white.

You're doing the same thing in post: You decide which colors are more or less present in the conversion, and you can be selective of what exactly the end result is. You can crank the contrast, tweak what is white versus gray, keep details which otherwise might be lost. Treat the conversion like a set of optical filters.
>>
File: 2017-06-16_08-45-17.jpg (214KB, 1063x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-16_08-45-17.jpg
214KB, 1063x1600px
>>3095750
It depends on the camera. I always do my own conversions with my Nikon DSLRs, their B&W mode is dull and flat and the jpegs are poopy. But with my Fujis I'm usually quite satisfied with the jpegs as long as the color filter setting is appropriate for the scene.
Have a samurai umpire in period-accurate baseball uniform, before the west stole glolious basebarr from the land of the rising dung.
>>
Is 600$ for a x-t10 and 18-55mm good?

The used market where I live is limited so I'm not expecting a crazy good deal.
>>
>>3095750
There's more than just turn down saturation in post.
Post is so much more powerful, because you can do channel mixing, selective brightness, etc.
A nice effect is to use lighting in a specific colour and then play with that in post.
>>
What's a good compact camera for occasional photographing? My huge ass cheap dslr is too clumsy to take on trips.
>>
>>3096338
Panasonic LX100, Fujifilm X70 or Ricoh GR II
>>
Just got a Sony alpha 200 at a yard sale for pretty cheap. Anyone else have this camera that could give me any tips or point me to a decent lens?
>>
I'm going to the beach and I'm trying to decide between 2 film cameras

One is a Pentax ME with 50mm f1.2
The other is a compact kinoca C35 AF2

I'm shooting color film, which would be better for general shooting?

>TLDR;

compact or SLR for beach shooting?
>>
>>3096576
whichever one is dust and splash proof
>>
>>3093882
Pls spoonfeed me on how to use a flash properly
>>
>>3096593
Seconded.
>>
>>3096593

Strobe or speedlight?
>>
>>3094157
No, use a Japanese woman.

The shitstorm you would get for cultural appropriation would be huge. Be smart, be respectful, use a person who has actual cultural ties to geishas.
>>
>>3095243
Firstly, turn off the preview feature on your camera. The quicker we stop chimping, the better you'll become as a photog. Trust yourself, rely on your skills, don't waste time checking your photo when you could be nailing the next shot. Check when you have downtime.

Now, on to your question. I sometimes shoot with both eyes open, sometimes I go with one open. If I'm waiting for something specific to happen -- like a person entering the frame -- I may keep both eyes open so that I can get a sense of what is about to happen before I snap a picture.
>>
>>3093882
I've always been an avid fan of photography, even though I can't tell you what ISO means.

My girlfriend has been adorable recently, taking pictures with her oversized fujifilm instax. She knows jack shit about pictures and is confused about technology when it starts to get detailed.

what is a simple point and shoot film camera that isn't focused on features, has decent viewfinder and a shutter speed at least 1/60 s (or is that the regular?) Details don't matter much, but it wouldn't hurt

My price range is around $200, but I'm willing to go up for a real deal.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelFinePix HS10 HS11
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera FinePix HS10 HS11 Ver1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Maker Note Version0130
Image Created2016:08:01 05:39:11
Exposure Time1/210 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramLandscape Mode
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.9
Brightness6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length24.90 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3648
Image Height2736
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeLandscape
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeLandscape
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>3097213
All and any of them. Search results > under $200 > buy.
>>
>>3096888
both, I am that clueless
>>
>>3097213
your phone will do you better at that type of range...
>>
>>3096371
those seem quite expensive anon...
>>
File: IMG_4312.jpg (146KB, 764x764px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4312.jpg
146KB, 764x764px
What's the most I should pay for a used T3i? I need a new hobby to pass the time and I have loads of money.

My phone camera isn't enough anymore.

Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Width764
Image Height764
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3093886
both
>>
What's the point of the bulb feature? I get what it does but in what situation is it actually useful?
>>
>>3097753
$250 for the body itself. $300 for the lens. snipe ebay or craigslist. Drive an hour or so out of your city to get a deal if you need.
the sensor is absolute dogshit and if you dont need the flippy screen the t2i is the exact same
>>
>>3097761
when you want to take exposures longer than 30 seconds, either for capturing motion or getting proper exposure somewhere really dark without cranking the iso
>>
>>3097769
Thanks for the advice, I was seeing many people sell the camera locally for $400 with the 18-55mm lens and nothing else, and i thought it was too much. Others are just selling with a ton of lenses for $600 but I don't want a ton of lenses yet since i'm just starting.
>>
File: star chart.png (240KB, 498x411px) Image search: [Google]
star chart.png
240KB, 498x411px
Anyone on /p/ does DIY repairs to lenses?

I got a nikon 18-70 dx for dirt cheap. It's in overall good condition, needed some cleaning. While opening it, i noticed that the screws of the 2 tweakable elements looked tampered with. Didn't touch it myself.

The lens does take pictures that look noticeably softer than my 18-55 kit. The Zeiss star chart thing seemed to reforce my misalignment suspicion...

I'd really like to use this lens. Anyone knows if there's a way to properly realign lenses at home without and expensive as balls collimator? I don't think that sending it for repair would be worth it, since i don't live in the US and anything photo related here costs an arm and two legs.
>>
is there any downside to using a really high shutter speed when shooting static things. If I want to keep my aperature low can I just turn up the ss as high as I need?
>>
>>3097861
or as low as I need rather
>>
>>3097861
And I ask the opposite. Does a long shutter speed on a static object
(in a vaccuum, ignoring the effects of apperture and iso compensating)
have any effect on an image?
>>
What's the best entry level dslr?
>>
>>3097917
Nikon D3300 or D5500
>>
Nice, an appropriate thread for my stupid question.

I have zero photography experience but I want to start taking nice pictures of insects. Any gear recommendations for under $500? Also any recommended guides etc? I've already done a little bit of research, just looking for good advice, I guess. I am also going to a rental place this week to see if it might be better to just rent... anyone know what prices I should expect for rentals?
>>
>>3097912
not totally sure but theres the possibility of movements from holding the camera blurring the image. plus slight movements in things (plants leaves blowing, people in bg etc...) would look bad.
>>
what are some decent photography related youtube channels? i just want to find something truly informative and grown up in the endless ocean of obivous add traps, 'top 10 mistakes every photographer makes' and other trash channels
>>
/p/ discord?
>>
>>3098032
If you've already got a DSLR obviously you'll want either a macro lens or extension tubes for a lens you already have, preferably a sharp prime. You'll also need a sturdy tripod and a remote release will help. A ringlight or other macro flash will help you to get more depth of field and better contrast.
Since you're doing insects a longer lens will be better, at least 100mm to have some practical working distance.

Smaller sensors will give you larger focus planes.

If you're just trying to fuck around some small sensor compacts have decent macro modes. I've been impressed with the macro on the Fuji X20/X30 but it can't really compete with a real setup for magnification and working distance.
>>
>>3093882
How can film cameras (bodies only, not talking about lenses), be "spectacular"?

I don't understand it.

Sure, I get that you can have real shitty ones. Camera bodies that have light leaks or have buttons that don't work well. But once you have those basic components nailed down, how can some film cameras be "good", while others are "spectacular" and cost a fuckton of money?

How do these spectacular film cameras produce anything better than any other film camera that doesn't have light leaks and works properly? There isn't any processor or sensor technology that affects the image, it just goes straight onto a piece of film which can be placed in any film camera.

What am I missing here?
>>
i recently brought a LTM to M mount adapter and when i place my lens on it it is off axis by about 40 degrees. is this normal or did i buy a dud adapter?
>>
if a 35mm film says iso 200, would it be ok to push it to 1600?
>>
File: 1493845031077.jpg (156KB, 1200x808px) Image search: [Google]
1493845031077.jpg
156KB, 1200x808px
what's a good way to digitise polaroid/instax film? should i just go to staples and use their scanner? or what scanners are relatively cheap and good enough to scan them?
>>3098765
honestly i definitely wouldn't, but it doesn't hurt to experiment
>>
File: IMG_2014.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2014.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Is that fuzzy/blurry shit due to overexposure?
>>
>>3099014
referring to the glow around the t shirt obviously*
>>
>>3093968
I'm always impressed by the way she attached her legs together so they won't spread wide open in an inelegant way when she lands so she can pass way with dignity. Truly a different era...
>>
>>3098765
You can't push color film if you're not processing it yourself or you know the guy who operates the minilab machine.
>>
is 400 usd a good price for a display model of a rebel t5i

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Image Width675
Image Height450
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2013:03:19 17:14:33
Image Width675
Image Height450
>>
>>3099080
>Is (money) a good price for (shit)
No
>>
>>3099080
NOPE.crw
>>
File: beginner.jpg (308KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
beginner.jpg
308KB, 2048x1536px
Absolute beginner with a fujifilm finepix s9950w (if that matters). How do I start learning how to take proper photos?
>>
>>3099014
No, it's chromatic aberration.
>>
>>3099161
>>3099014
And noise too.
>>
>>3096904
Don't fall for this trap. Just use a white woman and laugh at anyone who says anything about appropriation.
>>
>>3099154
Ditch it and go mirrorless.
>>
>>3094157

Depends on jow well you do it.

White chick in improperly tied kimono with one of those tacky ass designs foreigners always go for? Gonna suck.

Kimono that is traditionally styled, worn properly and well? Gonna be pretty neat.

Even here in Japan you see some advertisements with a pretty cute white chick looking good in a kimono.
>>
>>3094157
Use a black woman in tribal clothes with geisha style.
>>
>>3099068
>>3098799

its Fuji c200 color, to be developed just by a generic kodak shop, I dont know the developer guy. So just at iso 200 flat out?

Also if I'm using BW 400 film like tri X or HP5, should I just choose a single iso thoughout one roll? Can I push it to 800 or 1600?
>>
>>3099182
>its Fuji c200 color, to be developed just by a generic kodak shop, I dont know the developer guy. So just at iso 200 flat out?
Yes, expose to the shadows.

>Also if I'm using BW 400 film like tri X or HP5, should I just choose a single iso thoughout one roll?
Yes, but there's a trick to shoot different ISO on the same roll, you just have to stand develop it. You lose contrast and won't be able in most case to enlarge/print it. If you just scan it's ok.

>Can I push it to 800 or 1600?
Absolutelly. Also, LURK MOAR!
>>
For the aesthetics of my instagram I'm looking to pop out a few square images. (The worst reasons to create I'm already aware)
However I'm having trouble framing for squares when out and about since I'm so used to using the entire frame - any tips or tricks or is it something I just have to keep doing?
>>
Is there any way to interrupt/alter your settings mid shot?

Let's pretend I'm doing a long shutter.
Is there a way to open the aperture half way through?

Or a way to cut the shutter time short?
>>
>>3099290
Turn your camera off or if you have a lens with a aperture ring fuck with it manually if you have steady hands.
>>
Do you always aim for perfect balance on the exposure meter when shooting?

Or do some of you deliberately shoot +- exposed rather than post?
>>
If I shoot film and want to send them to friends, I can scan the negative with a film scanner right? Does it have colors or I still need to develop the film to have colors?
>>
File: IMG_20170621_142528.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170621_142528.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
How do I turn the fucking yellow dots off.

Equipment MakeHUAWEI
Camera ModelHUAWEI VNS-L23
Camera SoftwareVNS-L23C605B120
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image Width4160
Image Height3120
Image Created2017:06:21 14:25:28
Exposure Time66667/1000000 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1000
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length3.79 mm
Image Width4160
Image Height3120
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3099428
Look for settings for focus peaking.

You don't like focus peaking?
>>
>>3099428
Roll a different die.
>>
File: nothingembededfuckoff.png (1MB, 1009x574px) Image search: [Google]
nothingembededfuckoff.png
1MB, 1009x574px
>>3099430
Kinda gets in my way

>>3099431
Tried, 3.

Also theres nothing embedded in my file fuck you.
>>
>>3099165
was shooting wide open at iso 100, why would there be noise?
>>
As a first camera should I buy the A7 or wait until I can get the a7ii
>>
>>3099608

a7ii

Wait a until late this year/early next year and it may drop a bit with a7iii release.
>>
>>3099608
if you can't afford an A7ii right now, get a used A7

wait until A7ii drop, sell your A7 and upgrade

you'll only lose like $100, $150 at most by reselling after spending months learning and shooting the A7, it breaks even by being able to get A7ii for cheap anyway
>>
>>3097213
olympus stylus epic

maybe look into a slr, maybe a pentax ME or an olympus om
>>
>>3099608
>another noob falling for the Sony meme

I wonder how many Sony cameras are just sitting around people's homes gathering dust right now
>>
>>3099730
>Projecting this hard
>>
File: 20170622_141727.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170622_141727.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
What's this thing on the strap for?
Got the camera used

Camera ModelLG-K428
Equipment MakeLG Electronics
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Sensing MethodUnknown
Image Created2017:06:22 14:17:27
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Altitude0.00 m
F-Numberf/2.4
Focal Length3.17 mm
Lens Aperturef/2.3
Exposure ModeAuto
Image Height1836
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
White BalanceAuto
Image Width3264
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashFlash
Exposure Bias0 EV
Brightness-7.0 EV
ISO Speed Rating2200
Exposure Time1/12 sec
>>
>>3100045
A cold shoe I think.
>>
>>3099370
>Do you always aim for perfect balance on the exposure meter when shooting?
If you're doing that just use A,S,P you idiot.
>>
>>3100074
That's what I mean.
The light meter.
>>
Considering all the limiteds, is the pentax smc 21mm f3.2 worth the money?
>>
File: zone system.jpg (22KB, 579x306px) Image search: [Google]
zone system.jpg
22KB, 579x306px
>>3100086
If you do that you still don't know why there's a meter in the first place.

Take this and go learn.
>>
>>3100092

"That" what. You're useless bro.
>>
>>3100045
It holds the cover for the viewfinder.
>>
>>3100096
And you are stupid. The picture answers your question. 0 is the zone V (middle gray, 18% gray...)
>>
>>3100099
thanks anon
>>
>>3100105
>Do you always aim for perfect balance on the exposure meter when shooting?
no, the picture doesn't answer the question you massive retard. you're doing that thing that assholes do when somebody asks about something you know about and you just respond with "oh wow, people who know less than me lolololol" instead of explaining what it is that the person doesn't know
>>
>>3100045

Covering the viewfinder when it isn't to your eye so that light doesn't throw off the meter.

DSLRs are weird like that.
>>
What is the best source for printing my digital photos? I don't own a printer. Is CVS or Walgreens good quality? Should I go somewhere else?
>>
Do you always aim for perfect balance on the light meter?

Or do /you/ often deliberately over or under expose in camera?
>>
>>3100490
>digital
I expose to the right, unless the dynamic range is too high, then I mostly rather blow shit out than losing shadow detail
>film
'Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights' actually works pretty fine for me but then again I mostly shoot film that's super hard to fuck up like deltas and portras
>>
what do you guys think about in-camera saturation and sharpness controls vs doing those things in post processing? i've read that sharpening should be the last step in your workflow

also do you guys use adobe rgb or srgb and why?
>>
>>3100514
all of that is only relevant if you shoot jpeg
which is not a thing I do
>>
>>3100201
You might look into fed ex print services.
Bring your own fancy paper and ask for inkjet prints.. they're very cheap and will usually let you get one or two test prints free. Sometimes they don't even charge for the prints at all.
Make sure you set the dpi of the picture before asking them to print though.
>>
>>3093882
did the /p/ book for 2016 finally come out or is it ded?
>>
>>3096904
Luckly cultural appropriation is mainly an america problem (so far).
>>
I'm planning to pick up a D300 to start this hobby, but i've been hearing a lot about mirrorless

Can anyone give me a quick rundown if i'm making a mistake?
>>
>>3100493
Underexposed high speed portra is neat.
>>
>>3100653
overexposed low speed portra as well
I just love portra
>>
What's better Sony or Fuji
>>
How can I deliberately cause extreme lens abberations?
>>
>>3098305
I like Negative feedback and Mango Street. I like VSCOs channel too because its simple and easy, but /p/ will assure you that it is shit.

Tutorials are mostly a waste of time IMO. Just shoot and get good through experience and not a faux sense of knowledge. This coming from a guy who loves tutorials and shit. If you just save videos that have the aesthetic that you are naturally attracted to you will gravitate naturally towards the tutorials and such that you actually like
>>
>>3098305
Theoria apophasis and Jason Lanier.

I'm not joking or memeing.

Ken wheller(aka angry photographer) has handled more cameras and lenses than god, his pictures are worse than my mother's but his gearfagottry is always right. Jason Lanier despite being a sonygger sellout he teachs how to handle lighting and models on a wedding/photoshoot and etc.
>>
what's the best resource for me to learn about all the basic photography stuff? everything from composition to lighting to the exposure triangle etc.
somewhat of a complete beginner and i just want to be able to take reasonable photos with an SLR.
>>
File: 5976 (1).jpg (274KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
5976 (1).jpg
274KB, 1920x1280px
What kind of equipment do you need to take photographs like this?

Seems like a vintage camera.
>>
>>3100901
cambridge in colour
>>
>>3100785
buy a shit quality superzoom and zoom in all the way
>>
>>3096564
minolta 50mm 1.7
thank me later.
>>
Does anyone have a Fuji raw image shot with
an infrared filter ir72 for example so i can

>tl:dr
>need RAW Image shot with IR Filter
>>
Can DSLRs use enlarging lenses or is the flange distance too long to achieve infinity focus?
>>
Got my hands on a Minolta srt 200, looking for some good lenses. Came with the 50mm 1:2

Also anyone have experience with this model camera?
>>
File: 14214515797_17788c6f3b.jpg (63KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
14214515797_17788c6f3b.jpg
63KB, 500x339px
>>3101380
Enlarger lenses don't manual focus. If you buy a bellow and a m39 adapter I think you can play around with it.

I don't know why you would do that in the first place but whatever...
>>
>>3101380
Why would you want infinity focus in the first place on a lens specifically made & geared for accurate close-up work?
>>
I've got a Sony A6000 with kit lens and some adapted primes

Is there any point to getting the Sigma 30mm 2.8? The kit lens is 16-50 3.5 with stabilizer. Surely 3.5 with a stabilizer is faster than a 1.8 without? I don't see the point other than sharpness, seems like the speed isn't noticeable and may even be slower since they say the stabilizer gives 2-3 stops
>>
>>3101679
You're missing the bokeh part.

>30mm 2.8
>1 stop faster than 4
Why not just go wider instead or get a fast 50 for portraits or even a tele?

What lenses do you have?
>>
>>3095300
I always use my glasses.. I cant use my camera even if i adjust the diopter
>>
>>3101690
I feel like I'd prefer the 30 to the 19. I just feel like I'm missing something, everyone seems to recommend those three Sigmas and disregard the kit lens

I have a vintage 50mm 1.7 and I hear that the Sony tele 70-200 is soft at the long end. The only other options are £300 minimum which I find ridiculous, coming from a Canon system
>>
>>3095300
speaking of diopters, I think I accidentally knocked its dial. how do I refocus it?
>>
What's the deal with a stabiliser?

Say you're in auto or A priority or whatever. It's night and you're at 1600 ISO.

Will it allow you to take the shot at a higher shutter speed, as if you switched to a faster aperture, or will it still be at 1/10 of a second but the shot comes out with less shake than without the stabiliser?
>>
>>3101889
Just less shaky.

Or rather: lets you shoot at slower shutter speeds without getting shaky images.
>>
>>3101884
Just turn it to whatever setting it's the most comfortable for you.

It has no impact on your actual focusing, it's just a comfort thing (or if you have very bad eyesight it might be necessary just to see sharp but by that time you're probably at the max setting).
>>
>>3101679
If you're shooting people you're likely limited by their movement and not by your own camera shake.

f/2.8 is still quite meh though, I would upgrade to an f/1.4
>>
i have a nikon d5100 which has the massively retarded feature of not letting you change aperture in live view (you can turn the wheel, and the number on screen changes, but you have to exit and re-enter live view to actually see what your shot will look like at that aperture). i have an old 50mm prime lens with an aperture ring on it that it says you're supposed to lock at f22 when you put it on the camera so that the internal mechanics can control the aperture properly.

my question: if i don't lock the aperture and use the ring instead of the dial to change aperture, do i risk fucking anything up?
>>
I guess this is probably the place to ask this even though it'snt about photography per se, I'm a complete newfag to video editing and I need suggestions for an user friendly video editing program, I tried premiere pro and got my shit handed in, I just need to learn some basic shit like making my transitions more smooth and how to add music/keep balance between the added music and the real sound from the video, any help is welcomed, thanks m80s
>>
is buying film from ebay ok?
>>
>>3102249
premiere really is on the more user-friendly side in terms of media-management, format handling, framerate mismatch and so on, and getting familiar with the user interface shouldn't be so hard since there's tons of tutorials out there
I'd give it another shot
>>
File: RiwOaa.png (246KB, 1120x961px) Image search: [Google]
RiwOaa.png
246KB, 1120x961px
>>3102435
That is all I do, getting a film for 50cents - 2 bucks is great.
Even if expired in like 80% of all cases they still are great, in 15% theyre very lomo-ish and the 5% they're unusuable.

High ISO and expired = High chance of the film beeing fucked, as in all your shots will be underexposed and purple or something like that.
Low ISO (like up to 200) is fine in pretty much all cases.
Okay I also got a question, I want to get off from film photography because the cheap labs keep fucking up my rolls and I just can't be arsed anymore to pay so much for photographs.
I'm on a budget so I'd spend up to 200€ for a camera, I want a compact one. I'd love to get a GR II but it is too expensive.
While trying to find a used GRII for cheap I discovered the Ricoh GR Digital II, for about 100-130€. Is this camera decent enough for someone trying to have a camera with him all the time and take interesting pictures?

>tl;dr Is the Ricoh GR Digital II good for about 130€?
>>
What's bad about watermarking all my photos?
>>
>>3100631
Your D300 is (I'm assuming) a tiny fraction of the cost of a decent mirrorless. It's going to be faster in AF and operation than most mirrorless. You're only going to lose out in resolution, high ISO performance, and adapted lens capability, and two of those three are only because it's ancient.

Oh yeah, you'll shit all over their build quality too. Part of the reason D300s are so cheap and plentiful is they don't die easily.
>>
>>3099594
Turn on chromatic aberration correction and/or get a lens that isn't shit
>>
Two stupid questions:
Do you guys take your dslr's with you all the time? I mean on a normal 8-4 workday, do you have your camera with you?

Should I upgrade my Nikon D3100? Or just try some new lenses? I only got the stock kit lenses.
>>
>>3105115
Not really. It's only like a couple times a year that I wish I had my camera with me on a normal day.

Do you actually feel like your camera or lenses are limiting you? If not, just get the 35mm 1.8 dx prime for fun
>>
>>3105126
>just get the 35mm 1.8 dx prime for fun
NOOOOOOO

>>3105115
Buy vintage nikkor glass.
>35 f2
>50 f1.4
>55 f3.5 micro
>135 f2.8

You can get then for less than 100 bucks each
>>
File: 5eb.jpg (26KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
5eb.jpg
26KB, 600x750px
>>3105136
>>
Are these cheap ballheads any good or am I missing any red flags?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-Compact-Light-Aluminium-Tripod/dp/B00K0P022Q/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_421_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M6TG33Z3VC02MAFR0G9Q

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prima-PHTR001-Aluminium-Foldable-Tripod/dp/B00R3KP3IO

http://www.wexphotographic.com/primaphoto-foldable-kit-1574093
>>
>>3105136
Different anon but

>50 f1.4
>55 f3.5 micro

That's hardly a change in focal length,. But a fairly significant gap in Fstops.

So I'm assuming something about the word "micro" is what makes it worth losing that aperture?

Could you explain/elaborate the difference?
>>
>>3105136
Using vintage glass on tiny entry-level Nikons with their dim finders is a fucking pain in the ass.
>>
>>3105179
Do I really need to explain to you what the word micro means?

>>3105184
Why is that? They are faster than the kit lens why would they appear dim on the viewfinder?
Even the tiny bodies have focus confirmation which works better than a split focusing screen.
>>
>>3105184
You're one of those handicapped live view babies aren't you? Can't do anything without the camera constantly holding your hand?
>>
>>3105190
Yes. It's a stupid questions thread.

Does it refer to the size of the lens it's self?

does it refer to what you're taking a picture of?

Fuck, it's something I'm unfamiliar with. For all I know it's a sub-brand name.

It's not an unreasonable question.

What makes that lens worth using over the other one?
>>
File: 00288-sdxc.jpg (30KB, 466x308px) Image search: [Google]
00288-sdxc.jpg
30KB, 466x308px
Where can I find comparative info on SDXC cards?
What's the best price/perf ratio?
>>
>>3101445
bump
>>
>>3105179
I think micro is another word for macro

meaning that it can focus on something that's really close
>>
>>3105269
Micro is something that's small, macro is something that's large. I guess the idea behind the term "macro photography" is that you enlarge something, with lenses being named Micro because of their ability to take pictures of very small things.

Does that make sense?
>>
>>3105275
Ok. So a "micro" lens is for "macro" photography?

Even with that explanation what about the 55 is better for it than the 50?
>>
>>3105278
Yeah that sounds about right.

The 55 is designated micro because it can focus on things way closer than the regular 50 can; my Micro Nikkor 55mm has a minimum focus range of 25 centimeters. Not sure about the 5mm focal length difference though.
>>
>>3105278
>>3105280
my old nikkor 50mm f1.8 has a minimum of 45 cm

i always assumed macros could get closer than 25 though, my 18-55 kit lens can get closer than that
>>
Is it a stupid idea to buy a cheap lens for a different mount to use with an adapter? I'm fine with no AF, just wanna know if saving up for a native mount lens is a better choice.
>>
>>3105287
No, I've found adapting lenses to be a cost effective way to get some decent glass. Different vintage lens can also have better bokeh or be faster than the lower end native ones. Do some research into which ones are worth the money.
>>
>>3105287
well it depends on the lenses and the prices. The main differences are AF, things like a stabiliser, EXIF data, not having to carry an adapter.

I'm using a manual 50mm because cheapest the native one costs £200 more
>>
>>3105275
>>3105278
>>3105280
The generic term is "macro", which originally meant "the image of the subject being thrown onto the film/sensor is larger than the subject actually is". This distinction is now usually forgotten and "macro" just means "close-up, somewhere in the vague ballpark of 1:1 magnification"

Canon, Bentax :-DD, and all the other camera/optics makers generally call their lenses that can focus that close "macro", but Nikon doesn't. They call them "micro" because they already had a line of optics for microscopes called "macro".

And yes the point of the slower lens is its close-focus capability. Macro lenses are never quite as wide-aperture as a non-macro prime of the same focal length.
>>
>>3105221
"(Unlike most other lens makers, Nikon designates its macro lenses as "Micro" because of their original use in making microform.)"
>>
>>3105287 World is full of cheap but great manual lenses to adapt. Myself using Canon DSLR, so I just buy a $9 chipped adapter for each lens.
>>
why is it harder to achieve bokeh on a wide angle than a tele?

is it possible to get beautiful bokeh using a vintage wide angle (35mm) lens? how can I do it? I mean the kind that would make the users of pentaxforums.com cream their pants
>>
Is there a list of guidelines or an article with tips on how to take nice photos of friends while going out? Not to clubs or w/e but like cafes, walking around, parks etc
Like how to make decent candids of them or even if they pose to get good looking results, nothing fancy
I guess they'd be mostly portraits but without fancy lights available
>>
>>3105621
>how to make decent candids
i dont know that there could really be a guide for something like this. i guess just stay on top of all your settings so you're ready to shoot at a moment's notice and try to look for gestures/expressions/other little organic things you could capture while hanging out with people
>>
>>3105613
Shorter focal lengths inherently have more depth of field. (Go on wikipedia and read all the optical-physics math equations if you want the gritty details) More depth of field means that that the bokeh is closer than it otherwise would be to being in focus, so its less blurry.

The other thing you can do is to focus closer. The greater the distance between the focal plane and the background, the more out-of-focus the background will look.
>>
File: DPP_0003.jpg (1MB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DPP_0003.jpg
1MB, 1000x667px
How should I crop this picture to make it perfect?
I am new to photography

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5
Camera SoftwareDigital Photo Professional
Lens Size18.00 - 55.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.1
Lens NameEF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2017:06:29 11:50:50
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length23.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed192
Color Matrix35
>>
>>3094186
Any Canon camera >$1000
>>
>>3099080
Not a good camera
Consider a Nikon D3300 or D5500
>>
File: IMG_7960.jpg (121KB, 750x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7960.jpg
121KB, 750x733px
Is the only difference that $1500 gets you in pic related one f/ stop? How can you really justify that price diff? Or am I retarded

CommentScreenshot
Image Width750
Image Height733
>>
>>3105820
the 1.4 FX is for full frame cameras bc full frame = more expensive. Took me a couple hours to catch on too
>>
>>3105820
As mentioned the f/1.4 is full frame.
Which also means it's wide angle, which requires a more complex optical formula (note the 50mm f/1.4 is much cheaper)

It's also better optically.

That said, the f/1.8G DX is great value for money.
And for half the price of the f/1.4G you can buy the even better Sigma 35mm f/1.4 art.
>>
I recently found my grandparents Canon A-1 and they said I could use/have it if I wanted.
I'm completely new to photography though and on a strict budget (student).
I'd rather start off with digital, but this camera is in like-new condition and has everything I'd need for it.
Would it be worth it to buy the basic stuff for developing (not enlarging) and a scanner? Should I just wait until I have more cash and get a digital camera?
>>
>>3105820
Get the Sigma 35/1.4 Art for $800-900 if you want a full-frame 35. It's way better than the Nikkor.
>>
What are the real life differences between mirrorless and dslr. Trying to buy my first camera
>>
>>3105967
Size and cost. A mirrorless with DSLR IQ is going to generally be more expensive. There are some nice advantages of being mirror less, with higher framerate shooting being one of them (and no potential for the mirror breaking after 150,000+ actuations). What cameras are you looking at?
>>
>>3105967
if you buy a dslr the look through the viewfinder goes directly through the wide open lens. that means that:

it is in realtime
the depth of field is as shallow as your lens is wide open
the brightness is as your lens is wide open

if you have a mirrorless, you see what the sensor detects, meaning that depth of field will be accurate to the pic you're going to take. the brightness will be adjusted according to your shutterspeed and iso settings, meaning that for example you can actually see something when doing night/astro.

also you will always have a shutter noise and a vibration when your camera has an actual mirror while you can shoot silent with a mirrorless.

mirrorless cameras are usually smaller but a lot pricier than their dslr counterparts, so if you are going for pure image quality on a budget, dslr is a good idea. when you shoot video on the other hand, mirrorless is more convenient.
>>
>>3106161
>the brightness will be adjusted according to your shutterspeed and iso settings, meaning that for example you can actually see something when doing night/astro.

Wanted to second this. I learned to shoot manual by using a bridge camera that had a real-time display of what the iso+shutter speed would reproduce, which really helped me make sense of it all. Liveview shooting cameras are a great way to learn, whereas with a DSLR you might spend a lot of time fiddling with the review mode or guessing how accurate the light meter in the viewfinder really is.
>>
>>3093882
If Google image search fails you, how do you go about finding locations? What is the photographer's etiquette about sharing locations? Pic related, I only know it's in Macau

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D810
Camera SoftwareNIKON D810 Ver.1.10
PhotographerPeter Stewart
Horizontal Resolution1 dp
Vertical Resolution1 dp
Image Created2016:03:30 10:38:22
Exposure Time1/20 sec
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/10.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length12.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationHigh
SharpnessHard
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D810
Camera SoftwareNIKON D810 Ver.1.10
PhotographerPeter Stewart
Horizontal Resolution1 dp
Vertical Resolution1 dp
Image Created2016:03:30 10:38:22
Exposure Time1/20 sec
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/10.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length12.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationHigh
SharpnessHard
>>
>>3100518
>>3100201
To go along with my last question, what is /p/'s favorite matte paper for printing? Does it really matter? Will people be able to tell a difference between brands?
>>
>>3105222
up
>>
>>3106271
ask everywhere you can. send the guy an email and compliment him on his work, and let him know that you're trying to shoot in similar locations. the worst he can do is ignore you, and at that point you're already where you are now. a lot of the time locations like your pic come as a result of living in a spot and walking around to find neat areas-- going to macau just to emulate that dude's urban-abyss pic is the wrong way to do things.

>>3100201
https://www.prodpi.com/ordering/

absolute god-tier and they send candy with orders. cheap, ultra fast shipping, highest quality I've ever used.
>>
How do I best reconcile the difference between how a picture looks on the screen on my dslr and how it looks when I import it? I feel like things tend to look under exposed on the screen.
>>
>>3106397
It's pretty normal for a raw file to look kinda flat and dull when you load it into the editor. That's kinda the point, to give you a neutral "here's what the sensor saw" file that has no edits pre-applied to it.

If you want to check exposure for the shot you just took, most cameras should have an option to display a histogram overlaid on the image.
>>
>>3106397

Lightroom applies its own color profile to raw images you import.

Their color profile is terrible, change it back to the cameras before you do anything.
>>
>>3106408
How you do that ?
>>
>>3106412

Like one of the very bottom options in develop screen.
>>
>>3101884
put viewfinder to your eye, turn diopter until it's clear
idk how this is hard anon
>>
Can someone point me in the direction of a good mirrorless camera off Amazon or Henrys for my first camera? Dont want to go about $700.

What is the starter pack? I guess I'll need lenses too.
>>
I'm a photography noob with a Canon t1i, what are some good lenses I can experiment with that are ~$100?
>>
>>3106544
>gib me babby's first mirrorless ilc
first you have to decide which system you want to go with: Micro 4/3 (Olympus and Panasonic), Sony, or Fujifilm. Each have big pros & cons, and none really comes out as being the clear best choice
>>
>>3106647
I'll read up on it. Does what you want to shoot make a difference in that factor ?
>>
>>3106710

Not as much as people would have you believe. They are all batting in the same league.

Ming Thein gets a lot of great images out of his m4/3 cameras. So does this guy: https://www.instagram.com/triangle_craft/
>>
File: xpro2_a7II.jpg (475KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
xpro2_a7II.jpg
475KB, 1400x788px
>>3106710

Only if you want something rather extreme like super low light shots only.

>Sony

Raw specs, best sensors and best lenses of the three. Issue is, the lenses are rather big. Still smaller and/or lighter than a DSLR, but not almost pocketable like the others. While having a definate lack of affordable budget lenses, their pro lens lineup is rather well rounded (though lacking anything past 300mm or so). Lots of horror stories about their warranty service in the U.S. too. Also the only mount with autofocus support for adapted lenses (newer camera bodies only though).

>m43
Tiny in every way. A pocketable combo is easily doable. Issue is that the sensor is tiny too. Not really an issue for most situations though. Largest lens lineup of the three.

>Fuji
A decent middle ground between the other two. Stylish as fuck bodies too (though some are rather large). Their lens lineup is the most limited of the three, and their lenses, while having a great maximum aperture on paper, tend to really suck when used wide open. Has a special snowflake sensor which gives the camera no real advantages, but instead just gives you a raw file unsupported by most programs, forcing you to convert them before use.

Camera ModelX-T1
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera X-T1 Ver4.30
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)83 mm
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image OrientationUnknown
Image Width1400
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Image Height788
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:09 21:49:54
Exposure Time11/2000 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
F-Numberf/6.4
White BalanceAuto
Image Width1400
Exposure ModeManual
Image Height788
Brightness-3/100 EV
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Lens Aperturef/6.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
ISO Speed Rating400
Focal Length55.00 mm
Light SourceUnknown
SharpnessNormal
Metering ModePattern
>>
File: main_900.jpg (77KB, 900x606px) Image search: [Google]
main_900.jpg
77KB, 900x606px
how did they get the sun coming through the windows to show up so well? is it just doing a long exposure?
>>
>>3106853
No, nothing to do with shutter speed. It was actually underexposed.
>>
>>3106853
Tobacco smoke. Smoking indoors was legal then.
>>
>>3106715
>>3106766
Thanks a lot. I'll wait until prime day and see if amazon has any sales and in the mean time read up more on my options
>>
Can I take good photos if I just have this camera?
>>
>>3106872
Durr hurr look at this jack ass
>>
What are some good dimensions to resize an image to? 1000x720? 1270x952?
>>
Ok. Lightroom process

You sit down at your computer with a fresh sd card full of photos.

What's your process? More for storing and organizing than post.

Do you import everything to Lightroom? Or do you filter first?

Do you start a new "collection" for each impirt, or each event. ..

That kind of stuff.
>>
>>3106895
Keep aspect ratio and keep the longest side under 2k px. Beyond that it's personal taste, most people on /p/ won't care if you post a wallpaper sized image, it's more of a question of if you want print-quality digital of your stuff floating around. Usually I post my shit at 1600px wide, large enough to preserve most details while not raping everyone's data.
>>
>>3106367
You're right, thanks
>>
File: thistimewithoutmyname.jpg (325KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
thistimewithoutmyname.jpg
325KB, 1000x562px
>My face when I block out all my not-revealing-but-embarrassing-drive names but leave my full name in the lightroom window

>>3106896
This filing system has been both lambasted and praised by various /p/ users over the last few years, sorting by Year > Month/Date or Month > Date and then putting your processed pictures in the same depository, creating a new lightroom directory every couple of months (I like seasons in the year but I wanted to try splitting the year in half for once).

It's worked out well for me at least.
>>
>>3106917
And then I still fucking forget one
>>
>>3106917
>Pipe Dreams
lel
>>
File: jkhjkhjkjhkhjk.jpg (191KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
jkhjkhjkjhkhjk.jpg
191KB, 1000x562px
>>3106936
It's a reminder of my sins.
>>
>>3101131
They don't have anything about composition though. Any good resources for this?
>>
File: lomo 400.jpg (19KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
lomo 400.jpg
19KB, 500x333px
Does lomography film needed to be developed differently, or in some special way?
Or is is the same as any other c41 35mm?
thanks
>>
Gonna start making fetish porn, i dont feel comfortable with bringing girls to my house though. Is there a better/cheaper alternative than getting a hotel to shoot?
>>
>>3107028
I do all mine in a tent.
>>
>>3107028
If you're in a major city, look up Peerspace and Breather.
>>
Ive been looking at the Fujifilm X-A3 and the Sony ILCE6000L for my first camera after doing some reading. Is there anything I should know or that drasitcally sets them apart?
>>
>>3107050
These are exactly the resources I wanted people to eventually make but neither are in my city.
>>
>>3107032

Lol its not really "Boudoir"

>>3107064

Same, and i live in a fairly big city :/ Ive been looking around and it seems Airbnb is my best bet so far
>>
>>3107066
You could look into one of those hipster indie workspaces that seem to be cropping up in the cities now.

I wish my income was more routine so I could grab some studio space but sadly I'm stuck to shooting in my apartment or the local parks.
>>
>>3107028
Have you considered a self storage place? Most newer ones have electrical outlets. You'd probably need to be quiet though.
>>
>>3093882
what resolution, dpi, image file type, etc., should I be using if want to have large sized prints made (8x10 and larger)? and does the fact I shoot on a crop sensor mean I can't get good results for the biggest sizes (20x30 and larger)?
>>
>>3107315
I use 300 dpi for A3 sized prints from a 16MP APS-C crop sensor
>>
>>3106408
Ok, so follow up to the question. I am a programmer and have spent many hours adjusting the colors of my monitor and downloaded several programs to dynamically adjust the color balance. I don't entirely trust the colors of my monitor anyway, as I type this I have two screens at vastly different color balances straight from the factory (in fact, I weirdly enough like my pictures more on my right monitor - everything looks over exposed on my left monitor). How can I be sure that the image I'm looking at on my computer is as close to what the image actually is as possible? Especially if I want to get a print done or something, I am worried that what I see on my laptop is going to be biased - even on the basis of switching between RGB and CYM on the print.
>>
>>3107524
There are camera calibration tools, but they're hardware that you stick on the outside of your monitor. They're quite expensive, though you may be able to rent one. Otherwise, look for a monitor which is advertised as meeting a color profile to a certain accuracy. Again, expensive. Like it'll meet "98% of Adobe sRGB"
>>
>>3107315
>>3107437
what about micro 4/3? I mean, Apple makes large advertising posters of photos (allegedly) shot on iPhones, so any print up to poster-size should be good to go, right?
>>
I'm looking at buying a Sony A6000 as a first'better' camera rigth now.

However, so far I've been shooting everything on a smartphone, and I've gotten used to the amazing HDR+-mode in the Google Camera.

Since I've never really had a proper camera, how does the dynamic range compare? Is it gonna be as good?
Or is there a HDR mode on the A6000 that's comparable? I doubt it'll take multiple exposures at the same time like the phone-camera tho.
>>
>>3107570
this has to be b8
>>
>>3107612
I'm serious, please don't hate me. It was an honest question, and now I feel bad for asking it without even having an answer.

I assume from your reply any sensor bigger than a phone-camera-sensor blows those out of the water dynamic range-wise?
>>
>>3107570
I am also considering this camera and would appreaciate some feedback on it. I'm going to the local camera store tonight and will ask about it there.
>>
File: bokah.jpg (325KB, 3346x683px) Image search: [Google]
bokah.jpg
325KB, 3346x683px
Hey /p/, noob here trying to figure out whats up with this bokeh meme. Am I missing something here? I thought full frame was supposed to give you "larger" bokeh circles but it looks exactly the same?

>>
>>3107710
>simulated images
just give up on photography
>>
can not covering the viewfinder during a long exposure cause ghosting of bright lights?
>>
>>3107712
What are simulated images
>>
>>3108099
the thing in the screenshot
>>
I'd also like to know this >>3107315

and where do you guys get prints made (US)?
>>
>>3108068
Unless the camera is old (mirror up still has leaks) or you are shining a bright flashlight down the VF, then there's no need.
>>
>>3108102
whats wrong with it?
>>
Is an 85mm lens on a crop censored camera too large for portraits? I've heard that 85mm on a full frame is the 'perfect' focal length for portraits, but on a crop censored that same 85mm lens is supposed to be like 130mm in length or whatever.
>>
>>3108289
yeah, so you compensate (use a ~40-45mm lens on MFT, or ~50-60mm on APS-C)

but that 80-90mm recommend focal length for portraits is just that: a recommendation. if you like how a longer focal length looks in portraits, and it works, go for it. fuck, I like to shoot street with a 85mm lens
>>
I'm trying to decide on the Olympus Mark ii or the a6000. Hoping to decide by prime day. Any idea which is better?
>>
Should I get a brand new/old Nikon b500 or get a $300 used Fujifilm X30?
>>
>>3108555
Http://www.dpreview.com

Go figure it out yourself you lazy shit
>>
Are their any modern compact DSLRs that had that 80s japanese minimalist aesthetic?
>>
File: IMG_1729.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1729.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I need to replace this rewind knob. Bought the camera for 25$ and not looking to replace for another 20ish$. I am too stupid to find an online tutorial on how to take this thing apart

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone SE
Camera Software10.3.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image Created2017:07:06 12:24:40
Exposure Time1/158 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating25
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness6.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
RenderingUnknown
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: plshelp.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
plshelp.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>3108646
specifically this (rewind knob)
have fun with the EXIF data

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone SE
Camera Software10.3.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image Created2017:07:06 12:24:44
Exposure Time1/427 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating25
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness8.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3108646
>>3108649
nvm just fixed it
>tfw you out-stupid yrself
>>
>>3108594
Just read it and tell me please
>>
>>3108582
No contest, get the X30. Much better build, better colors, better jpeg engine, better viewfinder, better controls... It's a pretty long list. It also takes X100 batteries which are cheap and easy to find.
>>
File: 634x422.jpg (53KB, 634x422px) Image search: [Google]
634x422.jpg
53KB, 634x422px
is there an app on iphone where you can take true long exposure pics, as in true manual controls of shutter speed and iso (aperture obviously cant be adjusted on iphone

i've tried a bunch but they all suck ass in this regard
>>
>>3108772
Thank you, I appreciate it. Hope all is well with you bro.
>>
Can someone redpill me on vsco?
>>
If I used a light red filter on a color photo, would I be able to recover the colors in post?
>>
>>3109564

it's great if you want to instantly date your photos to ~~2015 and make your shit look just like everyone else's.. you know, immediately forfeit any attempt at originality in exchange for herd safety.
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (152KB, 496x496px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
152KB, 496x496px
>>3109582
>2015
>two years ago

wait till he finds out people still use black and white film!

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width640
Image Height496
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2015:02:16 23:11:00
Image Width496
Image Height496
>>
>>3109584

the vsco aesthetic peaked two years ago my man.
>>
>>3109586
>he cares about this
>>
>>3109588

>he doesn't
>>
>>3109592
Do you define your photography by how many memes and trends it uses? Seems to me you should be thinking about what process is best for your subject matter and voice.
>>
>>3109597
>Do you define your photography by how many memes and trends it uses?

Of course, you must.

Otherwise you wont get any Instagram followers.
>>
>>3109600
By all means, then, fill your stream with pictures of people's backs out in the wilderness.
>>
>>3109597

Isn't that an argument against using vsco? Do you even know what you're arguing, or are you just another dog chasing after cars?
>>
>>3109604
Use vsco if it gets you closer to the you want for your photos. It's not like it's a single preset, and it's not like you can't tweak the results.
>>
>>3109605

Ah yes, the "i only use it as a base!" argument.

Let VSCO do 95% of the heavy lifting with LUTs and custom camera profiles, then you come in an do the most basic bitch contrast adjustment possible and say that it was all you. Classic.
>>
>>3109607
And here we are with the "vsco is literally magic that I can spot from five miles away" shitpost.
>>
>>3109609

boom, busted, i'm a shitposter.

whatever you have to tell yourself to help you sleep at night while vsco is in the next room fucking your photography.
>>
>>3109611
So if using vsco color profiles (let alone the presets) is cheating or being cucked or whatever, is it also being cucked to use the camera profiles for the photo styles in the camera you own? Or does one have to hand-roll their own camera profiles in order to REALLY do their own, original, unique photography?

How do you feel about choosing a film stock? Is that cheating?
>>
>>3097229
A used GRI or X100 can be had for pretty cheap, will definetly suffice for occasional photography
>>
>>3109616

You don't roll your own camera profiles my man?

I do. When I don't bother, I also just start with the most neutral, unbiased profile possible. Film is different because people are much more up front about their decision to use one film over another. It becomes a point of contention, and finesse.

Also, I like how you keep using the word "cheating", as if photography was a game you could win and taking shortcuts is an unfair advantage. Says a lot about your approach to life.
>>
>>3109890
Hey, I'm not the one casting moral judgments on tools and processes.
>>
>>3097228
What the fuck, no, it won't. A $50 film camera is going to blow the fuck out of a shitty baby dick cellphone sensor.
>>
I got a Nikon D5000 and the 18-55mm lens it came with as gift.
I know nothing about photography but what can I do with this?
What kind of lens is this thing good for?
>>
>>3110035
>what can I do with this?
take pictures
>What kind of lens is this thing good for?
i dont even know what you're asking

check out the nikon patcher to see if there are any features you can add to your camera
>>
>>3110035
You can do all types of ill shit

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ebooklets/e_ultimate_photo_guide.pdf
>>
>>3110041
>i dont even know what you're asking
desu i dont know either. i just heard that people use different lens to take different type of pictures.

>>3110043
thanks, ill read this
>>
>>3093882
I've been shooting with a 28mm the last few weeks, and I can't seem to get the eye for it. maybe a couple decent pics but nothing I'm proud of and I feel awkward using it

any tips?
>>
>>3110055
you can get any lens with a nikon f mount. the 18-55 is a pretty good starting point (which is why it's the kit lens with so many cameras), grab a telephoto if you want to zoom more or a fast prime if you want more bokeh or a super wide angle if you're not happy with how wide 18mm is
>>
>>3110101
Well maybe it's just not for you? For every classic focal length you'll find people who love it and want nothing else, people who can't stand it, and people that are just kinda meh. Go shoot something else for a while and come back to it later. Or try it again when you go on a trip or something, and have different things to shoot than what you normally shoot.

It probably doesn't help that we have a lot of images nowadays at 28mm equivalent, since that's the field of view of almost every phone camera. Post-millennial photographers are going to think of 28, not 50, as "normal".
>>
If I have a "weather-sealed" body and lens, it's safe to bring to the beach right? I'm obviously not going to actually take into the ocean and submerge it ofc
>>
>>3110124

Don't get any sand near it.
>>
>>3110132
even if it's specifically labeled "dust proof"? avoiding sand is gonna be tough at a beach.
>>
>>3110142
As that guy from lensrentals likes to repeat on his blog, "weather sealed" means "the warranty doesnt cover water damage" Salt spray, if this is an oceanfront, is a lot more corrosive than fresh water, and sand is an abrasive.

You sure, you can bring it, but it's worth going out of your way to be careful with it. At least put on a UV filter and don't change lenses out in the open.
>>
>>3110142

I mean, it should be okay, but I've taken three cameras to the beach, most of them weather sealed, and I always get some piece of shit grain of sand stuck in a focus ring or mode dial or somewhere else and it ruins the feel of it forever.
>>
>>3110124

Not really, no.

Weather-sealed just means it wont get fucked when splashed lightly with distilled water and be okay.

Saltwater and sand is gonna fuck you so hard.
>>
>>3110147
>>3110148
>>3110150
well shit

guess it's time to cop a TG-5 or WG-50
>>
Can someone outline the advantages prime lenses often have over zoom lenses?

The primary advantage of zoom lenses is obvious, they let you focus at different ranges without switching lenses, which means they're versatile. But the cost of that is often larger size.

I have some vague notion that, at their focal length a prime lens will out-perform a zoom lens adjusted to the same range, but that's about it. Also prime lenses can be more compact.
>>
Any good web service to host a basic portfolio? Flickr seems OK but last I heard they're extremely anal about upselling you their paying plans, stuff like squarespace or 22slides are expensive as hell and Instagram is just a popularity contest overriden with bot accounts. Next best thing seems to be deploying a basic wordpress template on a cheapo hosting but I'd really want to know if there are any other options.
>>
File: 1499170331708.jpg (29KB, 399x582px) Image search: [Google]
1499170331708.jpg
29KB, 399x582px
I need a general everyday lens for my a6000.

I already have a sigma 60mm f2.8 which is great for portraiture.
>>
>>3110421
Just use carrd.co and build a site in like 45 minutes. They've got a few portfolio templates. I resell websites off that site it's phenomenal
>>
What should I set my shutter speed to, when shooting portraits of adult women?
>>
>>3110552

About 76% of the shutter speed you would use for a man.
>>
>>3110550
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed, just a simple page where I can showcase my most recent/best pics and a couple of buttons to redirect people to my social media.
>>
Is there anything better in compact cameras than RX100?

I mean significantly better (so no Canon g7x or tz-100) and still pocketable.
>>
>>3110421
>>3110550
>>3110575
samefag

[shilling intensifies]
>>
File: Screenshot_20170709-191027.png (312KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170709-191027.png
312KB, 1440x2560px
>>3110624
No
>>
What is IBIS
>>
File: 3qtr.jpg (184KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
3qtr.jpg
184KB, 1280x960px
I know absolutely jack shit about photography, but I'm thinking of trying it out.

I want to buy a cheapo camera but with some manual features so I can mess around with it.

I have the oportunity to buy a Panasonic Lumix LX3 for 100€. Should I do it?
>>
>>3111632
No. Point-and-shoots aren't worth it anymore, since they have the same sensors you'll find in smartphones. Just with a crappy superzoom lens stuck to them. Save up more money for a proper APS-C interchangeable-lens camera. You'll be looking at something closer to 300-400 bongs for that, probably a recent used model.
>>
are these lenses any good?
https://www.amazon.com/Super-powered-Telephoto-Professional-Multiplier-Accessory/dp/B01K5CXHF2/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499671190&sr=1-6&k
>>
>>3111826
No. Those are bad. They are the opposite of good. Very few lenses that go for $120 new are worth owning.
>>
>>3111108
In Body Image Stabilization

>>3111826
No
>>
>>3111830
>>3111831
how about
https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%20893088.html
or
https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%20891971.html

my wallet doesn't agree with my hobbies, fml
>>
File: oldmanshrug2.jpg (23KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
oldmanshrug2.jpg
23KB, 384x313px
how do i into photography
what camera to buy
>>
>>3111850
go on ebay and find an old dslr with a lens for <$200, and if you like it, then go and get a better camera
>>
>>3111836
I don't know about the minolta. Some of the old Minolta lenses have good reputations, but I'm not sure whether or not that's one of them.

The Sigma is.... acceptable. It's the APO version. There's a non-APO version of that lens too, which is worse. Don't expect miracles from it. Most cheap consumer telezooms like that fall off a cliff at the long end, especially away from the frame center. I'm presuming you'll be using it on a crop-sensor camera, which will help it out.
>>
>>3111855
Thanks, Anon. I don't really need a super good telephoto lens since I mainly shoot close up, but my current lens sucks for astrophotography
>>
anything terrible about selling lenses on amazon marketplace? i've got a couple i'm considering getting rid of.
>>
>>3111765

I don't want to spend 300-400 bongs just for checking out a hobby,
>>
how come when i take pictures in the evening/at night with my phone camera the photo is way darker than real life galaxy s6
>>
>>3110562
I'll ask again, what should my shutter speed be when photographing adults for portraits?
>>
>>3111956
Depends on if it's a man or a woman
>>
>>3111905
Then this probably isn't the hobby for you.
>>
>>3112066
You're telling me I have to spend 300 to 400 bucks to try something that I might abandon after a month or maybe not even enjoy?

Don't you think that is a bit of a leap of fate?

Another question. Is 100 € a good deal for a Panasonic lumix lx3?
>>
>>3112074
*faith
>>
>>3112037
lol well-played

I guess I'll just fuck with it and figure it out after 2-3 more shoots
>>
>>3112074
Bro.. cameras are fuckin spensive.

If you're not sure you want to be a photographer but really want to try it just use your phone for a while.

Though I disagree with the above guys. A point and shoot will be enough to teach you composition and some basic principals. If it's also got some manual settings in there it could be your segway Into more advanced stuff.
>>
>>3112074
Well, yes. That's the price of a camera that's better than a smartphone. If you aren't willing to spend that, make do with said phone, or borrow a proper camera from a friend or something. It's not a cheap hobby. Look for an app that'll let you play with manual settings if you like, there's plenty of them. It's inconvenient and the effect isn't nearly as dramatic on a phone as on a real (not PnS) camera, but that's the compromise you make to not spend money.

If you do decide you like it you'll be in a bit of trouble if 400 pounds is a stretch for you. Most lenses and better bodies go for quite a bit more than that, and you'll wind up wanting some.
>>
>>3112091
I know they are expensive. But I still prefer to start with a second hand fixed lens camera, with some "power user" features (manual stuff, Raw support, etc.)

If I enjoy it, I'll upgrade to a nicer and much more expensive camera.
>>
Yo my computer cannot read my sdhc card but my camera can? how do I fix this
>>
>>3112349
when I connect the camera via usb cable, it only shows internal memory
>>
>>3112349
nvm I sorted it
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.