[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Photography Guides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: Z-sony-a6000-flash-up.jpg (104KB, 1024x804px) Image search: [Google]
Z-sony-a6000-flash-up.jpg
104KB, 1024x804px
So I just ordered a Sony A6000.

I have always wanted to get into photography and this is my first proper camera (inb4 memes).

Are there any good youtube playlists, ebooks or online guides out there that I can watch/read to help me get started and learn how to take good photos?
>>
just get a Sony A6000.
>>
>>3090452
>>
Never mind I just saw the wiki.

Feel free to post anything you might think would help me though.
>>
Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson is a great boook for starting. He explains the basics, shows a lot of examples and gives some useful tips there.
>>
>>3090472
Thanks, i'll check it out.
>>
>>3090450
I like ken rockwell's stuff, very on point with little unnecessary fluff. Go search the catalog for the sigma 60mm 2.8 thread too, that one is probably of interest to you.
>>
Literally just binge watch DigitalRev TV
>>
Cambridge in colour has really good tutorials on everything from the very most basics to some pretty advanced stuff. Good luck your photography journey OP, it sucks to be bad but one day we'll all be good.
>>
>>3090505
Why would he do that? Digitalrev wont teach him anything.
>>
>>3090551
It'll teach him how to be a gearfag ;)
>>
>>3090450
Understand the fundamentals:
Proper lighting and how DoF and Composition works.

Learn your camera, Auto controls are for fags -real men use M mode. AF is fine ish (i usually find myself adjusting it thanks to the zoom focus assist)

Auto is really nice and if you need it in a pinch (events or something) and you're not fast enough in Manual.

Everyone and their mom has a photography tutorial video - actually i'm lowkey pissed that i took a photo class at college and we literally watched youtubes

(But got to work in film so >>>>)
>>
Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>3090450
Get a good manual prime lens with aperture ring and Depth of Field scale on it so you can learn how the scale works, and how aperture affects the image.

Usually I recommend getting a really wide angle like the Rokinon 12mm F2,0 NCS, since wide angle doesn't really need autofocus as much as shallow angle does.
>>
>get a tripod
>shoot in manual and auto to learn how the settings affect exposure
>keep ISO as low as possible unless you're going for a gritty/grainy look
>Shoot RAW or RAW & JPEG if you edit and share images online
>the a6000 is fun to shoot at night, play with long shutter speeds and watch night time look like day time
>bring your camera everywhere you can
>have fun
>>
>>3091237
Oh and turning on airplane mode will save a lot of battery
>>
>>3090450
Could have had a a6300 for a few hundred more and got 4K video.

You failed.
>>
What kind of lens(es) do you have? The 16-50 although, compact, isn't great and the 18-55 (which is bulkier and older) seems to perform better.
>>
>>3091413
>4K video
If I wanted memes i'd browse 4chan.
>>3091486
Just the 16-50 kit lens, i'll be getting this soon though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JZ7ZEU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=L92MGOGZK5UR&coliid=I200M0WGN7N0CK&psc=1

Seems like it is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JaD52bIwcU
>>
Found this site today, lots of free videos and stuff.

https://www.photographycourses.biz
>>
File: w.jpg (3MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
3MB, 6000x4000px
So I got time to take out my new A6000 today.

However there seems to be something not right with the RAW files. Maybe it is just me being a noob and this is what RAW files are supposed to do.

Anyway, the RAW files seem to have a globe type of effect to them where they curve around the edges.

Hard to explain so i'll show you.

This is the RAW
http://www116.zippyshare.com/v/tq2ncLG7/file.html

And pic related is the jpeg.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2017:06:11 17:01:17
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Brightness10.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length16.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3093205
>what is barrel distortion
>>
>>3093206
What is me being a noob
>>
>>3093205
It's distortion due to your lens. If your using Photoshop or Lightroom theirs an option to correct lens distortion.
>>
>>3093205
It's your 16mm lens, it distorts the image quite a bit, which can be interesting if you mean to do it...but you didn't. Learn how to use your lens in different ways, or use an other one.
>>
>>3093417
>>3093594
Ok thanks.

But how come it only distorts when shooting RAW and not Jpeg?
>>
>>3090560
Can confirm. Happened to me...
>>
>>3093601
Yeah, I think there's an in-camera distortion correction but it only works on the jpgs

Also the distortion only seems to be noticable at the widest 16mm, maybe a little at 20mm or whatever. There's a darkened curve and distortion around the edges

But I do a profile correction in Lightroom along with camera calibration etc anyway and it corrects the RAW
>>
>>3093601
That is how your lens looks, but the camera itself can and will apply lens correction profiles when it generates JPEG.

RAW are supposed to be only barely / not at all changed sensor data, and your RAW editor likely only applies lens correction profiles if you explicitly tell it to.
>>
>>3093940
>>3093943
Thanks, it is good to know these things.
>>
>>3090450
Hi I also recently purchased this camera as a starter camera! can someone please give me a rundown of the absolute best settings to shoot in Black and White?

My problem is the shutter speed seems slow and then the image has a lot of noise.

please please help. I want to get better!
>>
>>3091413
It's more than twice the price.
>>
>>3097377
aperture priority
>>
>>3097377
There is a B&W setting. Press the FN button, click on the creative style menu and choose B&W.

Take picture in manual mode and enjoy B&W. Here is one I took the other day >>3096321
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.