[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D40 for class

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: d40.png (159KB, 700x595px) Image search: [Google]
d40.png
159KB, 700x595px
New to /p/ and photography as a whole. I need a DSLR or PnS camera for one of my classes. A friend is willing to sell one to me for $150 with a lens. Is that worth it today for an amateur? I might become more interest in the hobby down the line, but right now I just need something for class.
>>
File: 20161229-FUJI9477.jpg (628KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
20161229-FUJI9477.jpg
628KB, 2048x1365px
>>3090418
Yes.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-E1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
PhotographerDavid Mornet
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)53 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:12:29 20:51:26
Exposure Time1/150 sec
F-Numberf/3.6
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/3.6
Brightness3.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3090418
D40 is a fine camera that will work for you until you figure out whether you want to pursue photography further, and then some. Get it.
>>
>>3090418
It's fine. Don't worry about your gear. Seriously. Don't. The D40 is an old standard beginner's camera. It'll get the job done and allow you to learn the basics. Plus, if you don't like photography, it's not a big investment. But for real, don't worry about your gear.
>>
yep thats a fantastic deal. go for it
>>
>>3090418
D40 was my first dslr in 2007, loved it. Small lightwieght and works. Sold it when upgrading but bought another one as a beater (sold that one to pay a bill). Would buy another at the drop of a hat (if the price was right).

$150 might be a a little bit steep. D40 #2 cost me £130 with the kit lens and a 55-200mm a few years back from cashconverters. Admittedly it came in a plastic bag with no box, instructions, strap, memory card, etc.

Depending on where you live you could find better deals, more modern and advanced models can be found for around that price range. If he's a m8 and the camera is minty with low clicks go for it (offer $125 cash money).
>>
D40 was my first DSLR as well, OP. It's a great camera that still holds up well today for beginners/amauters. Enjoy it and make the most out of it.
>>
>>3090418
>$150
If you lived next to me I would give you a d70 for free

You can get D3xxx bodies for that price.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 229x343px
OP here. I posted on NormieBook, and the friend I mentioned said she'd sell it to me. I sent her a message but she didn't respond.

A friend that we met each other through said he'd buy it for his church. So now she's selling it to him instead.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width229
Image Height343
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3090652

wow what a cunt
>>
>>3090652
>girls being girls
Disgusting. Look for one used on a craiglist type site. Consider buying a D70,80 or 90 since it has the AF motor in the body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Nikon_DSLR_cameras
>>
>>3090418
or just use your phone if possible, saves you $.

at the end of the day, it's just capturing the mood, composition and framing shit thar counts.
>>
File: image.png (482KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
482KB, 640x1136px
Can anyone identify this model? Worth?

>>3090691
Professor said we can't use our phones.
>>
>>3090418
I used one for 11 years, then the shutter motor died in January this year.

It's amazing to learn. But indeed very outdated. And, depending on the lens, I believe it's pretty overpriced at 150$ if you are in the US.
>>
>>3090692
no. it's a bridge camera.

As said, look for a D90, d3x00 or d40.
>>
You could also get a D200 for that kind of money. Get a cheap screwdrive lens with it, keep your ISO low, and shit all over modern sensor color rendering.
>>
>>3090418
it might not have much life left in it, depending on how your much friend used it. the max shutter count on those is something like 50k. also I can tell you my old d40 kit lens is a fucking mess, those cheap silent wave motors were not built to last. anoher problem with the d40 is it doesn't have an AF motor so you can't use AF with some of the cheap primes or old lenses. $150 is at best a fair price, it's no bargain
>>
>>3090772
And now I really miss my old D200. That was a solid fucking camera.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.