[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you consider yourself to be a photographer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: 1485491657275.jpg (808KB, 2000x3739px) Image search: [Google]
1485491657275.jpg
808KB, 2000x3739px
Do you consider yourself to be a photographer?
>>
I barely make any actual money off of it, so I just call myself a photo hobbyist. A man who woodworks for a hobby and occasionally sells a carved bear wouldn't call himself a carpenter.
>>
>>3085220
What if you get published (e.g. in some hipster IG-based magazine), or have a showing in a gallery, but don't make any money off of it? Would this person be considered a photographer, or a hobbyist?
>>
i dont like the "photographer" tag, sounds like a limited cuck aka. those that do sets for models and weddings. i like better the "artist" tag.
>>
More of a hobbyist. The only reason I started was because it would work as an ice breaker.
That said a lot of people at the animu cons I got to like my work.
>>
>>3085222
If I managed to get a gallery showing, I guess at that point I'd feel okay with calling myself a photographer.
>>
>>3085214
Eh. honestly I cant stand people who take a garbage picture of a sunset with their phone then go around calling themselves photographers.
>>
I care about photos but I care more about my equipment. For me it's just a hobby. The furthest I would go was to call myself an "amateur photographer."
>>
It doesn't fucking matter
>>
No. I primarily sketch and paint. I take photos to support my primary interest or for when I don't have time to sketch.
>>
File: C3KHpY4UcAAxF4j.jpg (205KB, 801x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C3KHpY4UcAAxF4j.jpg
205KB, 801x1200px
>>3085214

I'd never call myself a photographer, I just like to take pictures.

I like gear that lets me take pictures in fun ways. Specifically as close to what my eyes see as possible.

Taking a shitty picture and spending hours in photoshop making it not shit, or applying shitty filters to cover errors is boring as fuck to me.
>>
>>3085214
I don't consider myself anything. I just take photos, it doesn't define who I am
>>
I push the button on the camera so by that definition I'm a photographer. If someone was to ask me "so what do you do?" or "what's your job" I certainly wouldn't reply with "I'm a photographer" though and I wouldn't define myself through photography, as someone might say "I'm a skateboarder".
>>
What sets a photographer and a "photographer" apart is the confidence to say "Yes I'm a Photographer." and then own that with images which reflect said confidence. If you are still stuck on that step, then you aren't a professional photographer, and just a hobbyist.
>>
I just don't bother making money off of it. Besides the most I'd be willing to do would be portraits and i still need more experience in that department (though it's literally nothing but "muh bokeh". I'm just trying to find out how much is appropriate, I use a 50mm 1.4 and just bought a 50mm 1.2 (for $10 hehehe), so I'm gonna try and discover if shooting wide open with these for portraits is formidable or not.
>>
File: 170318_5788.jpg (259KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
170318_5788.jpg
259KB, 900x600px
>>3085214
yeah

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5DS
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
Photographerwww.reagandpufall.com
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:03:18 20:38:02
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width900
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3085332

People like you are what is killing photography.
>>
>>3085332

If you're not using Lightroom, Photoshop or whatever to post process your RAW files then your photos are already shitty.
>>
>>3085214
Given my outlook on life, no.
IMO We are not artists, writers, runners, etc. But people who write, make art, and run.

Emphasizing that we're people beyond labels. Prepubescent Pseudointellectual Contrarian nonsense I know.
>>
>>3085865
>>3085863

I do process them, but I try not to oveprocess them.

You see way to much shit on instagram with excessive amounts of HDR and vignetting. And tons of SATURATION TO THE MAXXXXXXXXX! photos too.

It is digusting.
>>
Seems like a silly question.
>>
>>3085893

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. Instagram is not a place to look for photos. They are compressed to the point that even a blurred photo will look good.

The more time you spend playing with editing the easier it gets and the better the photos look.

Sometimes it can pay to push photos to a point you think you should not.
>>
File: Light.jpg (549KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Light.jpg
549KB, 1620x1080px
10 minutes in Lightroom.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D500
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6 (Windows)
PhotographerS.ROBINSON
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:05:30 03:17:28
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.2
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/4.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3085899
And yet here you are, replying to a silly question.

Good job, anon.
>>
File: Light original.jpg (152KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Light original.jpg
152KB, 1620x1080px
From this.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D500
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6 (Windows)
PhotographerS.ROBINSON
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern894
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image Created2017:05:30 05:03:37
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.2
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/4.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3085904
>No Jason Lanier logo
>>
>>3085905
What ?
>>
>>3085901

>ISO 250
>that absurdly heavy grain

lol wut
>>
>>3085907

That is how i edited it. Not everything has to be noise free.
>>
>>3085901
>>3085904
>post edit
>unedited pic looks better
kek
>>
>>3085214
no, I take pictures for a hobby. was your mom a photographer for taking pictures at every school event you attended?
>>
>>3085913

Then you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>3085913

maybe you should go back to your filters on your shitty iphone
>>
>>3085917
She still probably took better photos than your snapshits cutie ;)
>>
>>3085913
why dont you post your own stuff and prove you can do better
>>
>>3085214
i would not consider myself to be a photographer if i use digital cameras and shit.
>>
>>3085907
Probably sharpening artifacts, not signal noise.
>>
Nope. Few of my architectural photos are featured in a art gallery, got some money from some freelance photojournalism and night club. But there's a long way to go to I consider myself a photographer.

>>3085901
>>3085904

you should've got this tone direct in camera. You just wasted 10minutes in Lightroom, while you could have spent 30s more taking the picture. congrats
>>
>>3086168

Fuck off Ken Rockwell
>>
>>3086168

you would never get oi to look like that in camera in a million years you fucking idiot
>>
>>3086168

I shot it in RAW, it had to go into Lightroom anyway.
>>
I make roughly $10k+ a year with photography, have been printed in a couple magazines, and consistently have people requesting me to take photos for them in exchange for money.

So, I guess that makes me a photographer. It's just a side "hobby" for me, though.
>>
>>3085332
This is terrible. Where's the focus? No bokeh blur, no background blur. Just a weird pose with decent lighting.
>>
>>3086352
I'm not sure that is that anon's photo. It looks like some random gravure.
>>
>>3086352

How the hell would anybody even be able to blur the background with a photo like that lol
>>
>>3086361
f/1.8 or lower?
>>
Nah. I just like documenting my life and what I see.

Haven't made much money off of it and don't even know if I'd pursue it as a career.
>>
>>3086448

Even then it will hardly be visible. There is no DOF to be had in that scene unless you are a bout a foot from the ground and taken at a different angle.
>>
>>3085214
No. I write invoices for about 30000€ from (underwater)photography yearly. At this point I'm so fed up with this sitting in front of the computer bullshit that I'm prepared to do something completely different.
I still don't like to be call myself a photographer. I am rather an entrepreneur. When people ask what I do for my living I tell them I "photograph baby swimmers", not that I'm a photographer.
>>
I tell girls i am
>>
File: roughdraft.jpg (432KB, 1606x1186px) Image search: [Google]
roughdraft.jpg
432KB, 1606x1186px
>got paid 52k salary to do photography/retouching for a cosmetics company for a year
>directors make a moodboard which is basically assets from other companies
>stylist sets up the products

>press a button
>spend a hour cleaning and color adjusting

Even after this stint, I still don't consider myself to be a photographer. Real work feels like IRL copy and pasting, and whatever I do on my free time is documenting. There's no drive to instill a meaning behind my shots, other than "Hey I was there"

Unless you have the means to constantly shoot in variety, I always felt labeling yourself a photographer among the other dime a dozen SM promoters is to calling yourself a chef when you just cook at home
>>
>>3085913
he's right tho
>>3085901
absolutely destroyed the values, now everything is competing for each other
>>
File: 2010.0020.0015.jpg (1MB, 1500x971px) Image search: [Google]
2010.0020.0015.jpg
1MB, 1500x971px
Ugh, no not really. But most of the people I knew from college think I am because I always wanted to be a director but only had the money for a few, very pathetic shorts and didn't talk about it much. Photography has had a very positive influence on my life and craft though and I technically worked a photography job before (pic related).

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Camera Raw 7.3 (Macintosh)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2014:02:21 13:03:54
Exposure Time1/125 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Image Width1500
Image Height971
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3085904
>>3085901
>ten minutes to ruin a photo
mmm yes very impressive anon
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.