[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really wanted to get into photography, but my budget wasn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 33885252524_447592a5a2_o.jpg (3MB, 4592x2576px) Image search: [Google]
33885252524_447592a5a2_o.jpg
3MB, 4592x2576px
I really wanted to get into photography, but my budget wasn't very high. I bought a sony a350 from craigslist, and have been using it the past few months but have begun to feel self conscious. I feel like I'm shooting on some outdated piece of shit that is ultimately going to waste my time. I understand high megapixels are really only important when printing but I still feel like shooting on a ten year old camera just isn't right.

tl;dr can decent photos be taken with an old dslr and why should I/when should I invest in a better camera?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSLR-A350
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:05:14 18:43:51
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness-1.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Yes decent shots can be taken, at one point old DSLRs were The Thing to get. A tool is only as useful as you can make it in your hands. Get a new DSLR when you have mastered your current. I was on a Kodak Point and Shoot for YEARS man, 5 megapixels, but I still tried to get the best I could with the tools I had.
>>
>>3084622
Just curious why were they the thing to get? I understand old film cameras but why outdated DSLRs?
>>
>>3084600
Don't shoot at 1600iso if possible

megapixels aren't that important, just get some good sharp lenses, probably a few old primes, and go to town with the basics
>>
i have a decade-old DSLR, a Nikon D80. I don't go above 800 ISO. You don't get to complain.
>>
>>3084937
Posted too early....

I find that shooting with an old kind of bad camera about shooting than a nice one does. On an old camera, you have to struggle to get nice shots, you have to relaly think about how you're going to expose it, and not rely on fancy technology to make the shot good. On a nice camera you can throw it an AUTO and run out and shoot and get nice shots relying on the internal computer alone, but never really learn about how to do it yourself.

Just my two cents
>>
>>3084943
>>3084943
>I find that shooting with an old kind of bad camera about shooting than a nice one does
I find that shooting with an old, bad camera teaches you more about shooting than a nice one does***
>>
>>3084870
because they had just released, anon.
>>
>>3084937
basically the same here. i've got a used nikon d300s, released in 2009 i think, and i think that it's still a decent camera. was the only dx pro-model for a long time and a lot of photographers managed to get great shots out of that thing.

but yeah, iso above 800 is not a good idea...
>>
>>3084600
> can decent photos be taken with an old dslr
Ultimately not to the fairly typical- "decent in all regards" - standard that western society usually asks for. No.

That said it's a societal standard. Of course you can get a photo that is of emotional relevance to you or artistically pleasing to you or someone else in some ways, but it's not generally going to be the optimal result.

> I feel like I'm shooting on some outdated piece of shit that is ultimately going to waste my time.
> when should I invest in a better camera?
I personally think you should kinda get one of the best devices companies can make in mass production if photography is something you care about.

Doesn't mean you should neglect trying to be a skilled user, but really, it's one of these devices where other skilled parties (people who make the camera, lenses, accessories, software) also contribute a lot to get some of the best results that can be achieved. It's really not an useless waste of money to hire a bit more of what's ultimately their time.
>>
>>3084600

Nah don't worry about it. Enjoy cheap Minolta AF lenses from the 80s/90s
>>
>>3084943
In general, your argument is opposite to how humans actually use tools. Yes, if tools become good enough at one or another thing, some skills do actually become irrelevant.

That said, high end cameras still have all these settings because they still matter. Nobody says you should ignore them.

Knowing when the automatics on a modern high-end camera work and when you need / want to compensate manually somehow is just best learned on a modern high-end camera, because you often really can't even do that well an older or worse model.
>>
File: p600.jpg (553KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
p600.jpg
553KB, 750x1000px
I work fulltime but still pretty poor. Bought a Nikon p600 this week (going to use the zoom for PI work later). My shots are shit, but using a bridge cam (will buy a cheap dslr or film again later) surely makes you think about shots.

The photo I uploaded now sucks (cant edit for shit) but I'm having a blast making pics again...

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX P600
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.4
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:05:28 23:51:20
Exposure Time1/5 sec
F-Numberf/3.3
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/3.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.30 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3084600

Similar cameras were used at the time for professional photos, don't worry about it.

That said, you want at least 16 megapixels, and try to keep ISO as low a impossible. 800 is probably your max.

At the same time, old Minolta lenses are absolutely dirt cheap and fantastic.
>>
>>3085012
> Similar cameras were used at the time for professional photos
Only "similar" but not really often actually that one.

And today professionals and enthusiasts alike are mainly using the many generations better cameras + lenses that we have now.

Budget-wise it's really not even all that remarkable to own and get something current that is nearly or entirely professional.
Unlike for quite many other profession's gear, you can do this on a pretty typical middle class hobby / holiday expenses budget.
>>
>>3085005
I wasn't saying that those high-end computers are stupid - of course technology can help improve your shots- i'm just trying to get across that starting on an oldish camera isn't necessarily that of an idea and that blaming your shitty shots on your old tech is silly.
>>
>>3084600
tfw that high iso noise is sorta pleasant...I need to lay off shooting so much film.
>>
>>3085249

Yea it is just grainy, no discoloration.

Not that bad.
>>
>>3084600
How much did you pay?
>>
>>3085004
He can't get any of the nice primes still because of all the fucking A mount holdouts.
>>
>>3084600
Shoot film you mong
>>
>>3087890
Not OP but I was able to sell that camera with the kit lens for around $150 recently
>>
File: Missy4.png (3MB, 1324x881px) Image search: [Google]
Missy4.png
3MB, 1324x881px
I just bought the first DSLR I've ever used and I desperately want to believe the "It doesn't matter what you shoot with." meme.

Paid $250(aud) for a Canon 400d, came with memory card/charger/spare cords, an unused 75-300 and an 18-55 (which is full of condensation and thus useless.) It was released in 2006.
>>
File: Bones.png (3MB, 1329x884px) Image search: [Google]
Bones.png
3MB, 1329x884px
>>3089464
It has 10 megapixels and these were taken at 400iso.

Admittedly I'm not aiming to get into photography; I want it to promote my clothing and a noisy/gritty look is fine for that.
>>
File: IMG_3570.jpg (2MB, 2912x4368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3570.jpg
2MB, 2912x4368px
I just brought me a 5Dc
its fuggen epic

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
PhotographerHolger Drallmeyer
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:05:29 17:31:07
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/9.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.