[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why won't nikon put OS on their prime lenses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: highres-Nikon85mm084_1332747545.jpg (355KB, 1350x1588px) Image search: [Google]
highres-Nikon85mm084_1332747545.jpg
355KB, 1350x1588px
Meanwhile even tamron can do it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2527
Image Height1685
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2012:03:26 08:37:14
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2012:03:25 21:30:41
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Not Detected
Focal Length105.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1350
Image Height1588
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3084132
you should suck if you want a VR into your 85mm lens
>>
>>3084132
Because features for the sake of features isn't necessary, and just drives up the cost of an item.

You probably don't need VR on an 85 unless you're shooting video with it, but nobody is shooting video with a Nikon anyways.
>>
Because Nikon hates its customers.
>>
>>3084157
This + it sucks battery like crazy. Always off, unless you need it (which is pretty much never.)
>>
>>3084171
>sucks battery like crazy
What camera are you using that does this? IBIS and mirrorless need not apply. I'm not saying it doesn't use battery, but never to the point where I'd say I noticeably saw less battery life and couldn't complete an all day shoot on a single battery.
>>
>Not using a Samsung 85mm f1.2
>Not using a Samsung 85mm f1.4
>Falling for the AF Jew

WEW
>>
>>3084132
If you're shooting a prime, chances are it's in the f/1.4 to f/2 range, and at these apertures stabilization is really not needed. Even in an f/2.8 it's kind of debatable depending on focal length, given how good the low-light capabilities of most cameras are now, but anything slower than 2.8 should have it.
Stabilization would do nothing for subject motion anyway, if you're using fast primes for what they were intended for, you're probably more worried about freezing something in place than simply having a shake-free image.
So tacking on possibly hundreds of dollars and extra weight for a feature that might not even get used all that often isn't a good plan.
>>
>>3084198
you mean samyang and not this atrocity right?
their primes are alright if you get a good one, you just might have to send it back if you get one that's decentered.
>>
>>3084132
>Meanwhile even tamron can do it.
Well, that's because Tamron finally put those Zenzanon engineers to use.
>>
But they do

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/600mm-vr.htm

They put it on lenses that need VR, not short prime lenses that are fast enough to where you don't need it.

I have a 35/2, 50 1.4 and 85 1.8, and a 180 2.8 ED AIs, and have never needed VR on them. It only helps that the Df does high ISO like a boss so in super-low light I can still get a usable image.

I never understood having VR in short wide lenses, the Tamron 15-30 has VC on it and on something that wide unless you have Parkinson's Disease you don't need it. I can handhold 1/30 with my Streetsweeper at 24mm it isn't hard.
>>
>>3084326
You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you? Or just a really terrible troll; it's hard to tell.
>>
>>3084340
Really?
I think they put VR on far too many of their lenses as it is. Way to be a true mindless consumer of gimmicks. I do not even use it on my 80-400 @400. There are things called techniques that it seems too many do not be bothered practicing.
>>
>>3084346
t. somebody who shoots at 1/1000 all the time
>>
Stabilized wide angle lenses are kinda pointless because they don't stabilize the z-axis.

The wider you go, the less the x- and y-axis matter and the more the z- axis matters.

Still, a stabilized 50 and 85 would be nice.
>>
>>3084132
Floating elements on a prime will make it less sharp. Why the fuck would someone need VR on a 35-85 lens?
>>
>>3084461
>Floating elements on a prime will make it less sharp.

Explain how.
>>
>>3084476
That's a fact.
>>
>>3084246
wew rip my phone
>>
>>3084476
If VR is enabled when it shouldn't be.

What VR will do is fug your bokeh to a degree when enabled.
>>
>>3084489
Having VR on when not needed would make a lens softer. I knew that. When it's off it doesn't have an effect right?
>>
>>3084507
>When it's off it doesn't have an effect right?
debatable
you have something that moves in there and expecting that it will go back to the exact place it should be when you switch it off is pretty optimistic
>>
>>3085507
Yeah pretty much. Thinking that a floating element is ever fully stable is wishful thinking. I think my VR lens is always a bit soft.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.