[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RX100 for a tourist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: etgr.jpg (37KB, 1014x396px) Image search: [Google]
etgr.jpg
37KB, 1014x396px
Hello /p/.

I bought myself a Sony RX100 for my next trip. I was aiming at a max 400-450 eur camera.

Did I do good? I got 2 weeks to return it and I based my purchase on reviews and clips I found on yt.
>>
>1" sensor
>450€
you dun goofed anon
>>
>>3082705
Did I?

I'm clueless, I mean really, really clueless and I got 2 weeks to give it back to the store so help me out here.
>>
>>3082709

A quick search in Amazon came up with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 for the same price
- Bigger micro4/3 sensor
- Interchangeable lenses (m43 format is open by the way)
- Barely 1.5 cm bigger with the included lens, body itself is more or less the same size
>>
>>3082709
>>3082705
I'll also add:

what's the better alternative camera for a total dimwit.
>>
>>3082714
I didn't like the night clips with GF7 compared to Rx100 and from what I know it had crappy battery life.

Is it that much better?
>>
>>3082715
You can put pretty much any camera in Auto or Scene mode and shoot away without ever touching any other dial, but that's not what people in this board usually do.
>>
>>3082718
Ye that was my aim, put it into auto and the best photos/clips I can for 450 euro max.

I know it's silly but traveling costs a lot and I don't want t go broke.
>>
>>3082717
Without having read reviews, the GF7 has a sensor with double the surface. If anything, it should actually take better night pics by definition.
>>
>>3082720
>sensor with double the surface
I don't even know what it is.

I'm just fucked I guess, I used YT to compare the quality of night clips done by both cameras.
>>
>>3082701
>for a tourist
Sure
>>
>>3082722
>I don't even know what it is.
The sensor is the electronic rectangular piece behind the lens in charge of capturing the image and digitalize it. A bigger sensor means that each pixel is mapped to a bigger surface capturing light, giving you cleaner and less grainy pictures, and generally making your life easier in low light conditions.
>>
>>3082726
I see, thanks.

Gonne give the camera back today and get a gf7.
>>3082725
Traveling purposes, it's small and the sony case is super handy.
>>
>>3082727
Well, the difference is that for the same price the RX100 is at the end of the day just another compact camera that will be forgotten in a drawer until your next trip while a micro 4/3 system like the Panasonic is a device you can actually build a hobby on with just a little bit of reading the fundamentals of photography.
>>
>>3082735
I understand. Well than thanks for all the info, now I know what I should do.
>>
>>3082736
Also - what's a good resource to read so I can start getting into the hobby.
>>
Honestly, Ricoh GR is a meme but it's a great travel camera.
>>
>>3082717
Sony's have shit battery life, too
>>
Return it and get an X100 or X100S
>>
>>3082701
Seriously don't ask here, the few sensible people on /p are drowned out by retards.
For a holiday camera it will be a good choice for you. Sure you could get a camera with interchangeable lenses but do you want to carry around multiple lenses?
check places like https://www.dpreview.com/ for your camera and you will get a good honest review.

If I was getting a small camera to be able to put in my bag/deep pocket I would go for this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DNVA0M6/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_3_w
Because it has a intelligent hotshoe for accessories and flashes and a small flash like the Nissin i40 is fantastic portable and will greatly improve your shots and increase what you can do with your camera.
>>
>>3082844
Oh yeah also look at Fuji's they are fucking good, friend shoots Fuji and I got to admit if I had the disposable income I would swap in a heartbeat!
>>
>>3082701
Grandma is very happy with hers and got a lot of good photos. It's still a decent compact.

The main alternative within the budget is probably a lower end APS-C, but from my experience many people not particularly serious about photography will prefer carrying the compact for just size reasons alone.

I myself would clearly buy a higher end APS-C or FF camera or at least a RX100 V - but obviously that blows your budget. Not sure if you just don't want to pay a little more intuitively or if you can't easily do it.
>>
>>3082701
RX100 is still the smallest thing you can get with the largest sensor, fastest lens, and widest range in its zoom, for the price. The AF is fast, too. I decided it was a little too small for my hands and didn't get one, but it would be a perfect travel camera.

Try it out, get familiar with it, and use the manual controls if you want to learn more about photography.
>>
>>3082847
yeah or buy into a lens system with a good allrounder lens and a cheaper body. Then updating the body once they have more money and need the extra horse power.
>>
I know it's late but thanks for all the answers.

I decided to stay with the rx100 for now since it's tiny and makes a great traveling combo with the rx100 sony case.

As for cash, I could buy a better camera, sure, but I just wanted a simple and small one so that I can just get it out, shoot some photos on auto and start moving again. Hope I didn't fuck it up too much when it comes to my camera choice.
>>
>>3082726
all thing being equal, yes
but all things arent always equal
for example, a smaller sensor with microlenses could capture more light than a larger sensor without them
a smaller backlit sensor could capture more light than a larger front lit sensor
>>
>>3082813
Why not x100t
>>
>>3083311
Did it come with a Capture One Pro licence?

My rx100 takes very good shots that are easy to post process (even the jpegs - don't forget to shoot raw as a backup though). You will be fine.

If you set the main control on the lens to exposure compensation and leave everything else on auto you will be all set. Just remember to darken or lighten the scene as necessary so your subject is properly exposed, and/or use the software to raise shadows when the scene requires you to avoid blowing out the highlights.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.