[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's go to Belfast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11

File: 9.jpg (1MB, 1225x1250px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
1MB, 1225x1250px
Hi /p/

So I went to Northern Ireland when I had a few days off last month, and created a small body of work about the remaining peace walls separating Loyalist Protestant and Republican Catholic neighborhoods. There are about 100 of these designated "Interface Points" in the six counties, with the majority of them being in Belfast.

I'm currently finalizing my edit, dusting the negs, and shopping it around to a few editors I know, either as a printable story or as a precursor to some more projects I'm hoping to produce in the summer.

C&C welcome. I will try to add captions and pertinent info as I go.

This image was in North Belfast, in a Loyalist area. My caption info notes are elsewhere so I can't tell you exactly what street, but this is relatively new construction (since 98), and the wall has been built up from a lower concrete structure into this. Often the walls are built in this fashion, with each addition getting thinner and serving different purposes. The highest points are almost always this type of fencing, which sits high enough to prevent bottles or balloons full of paint from being thrown but eliminates the danger of collapse by allowing airflow.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5258
Image Height5364
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution2400 dpi
Vertical Resolution2400 dpi
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:06
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1225
Image Height1250
>>
File: 15.jpg (2MB, 1237x1250px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
2MB, 1237x1250px
>>3082218

Cluan Place can be seen as an island of Loyalism inside of a densely populated Republican stronghold in East Belfast. Bordered on two sides by thoroughfares that are used by the working class Republicans in surrounding neighborhoods
and butting up to the Short Strand neighborhood on its other sides, it is home to only a few dozen homes and residents and has been a flashpoint for sectarian violence for decades. It's residents refuse to forfeit any ground to Republicans and likewise oppose most non-sectarian potential residents, leading to a dwindling population and unoccupied homes.

Side note for those interested: All images were Hasselblad 501c with either 50mm, 80mm, or 120mm. The first was 120mm and this is the 80mm. I shot exclusively Portra 400, all handheld, Lightmeter was a Sekonic 758. I've mentioned previously I don't carry a bag just a great jacket with pockets and a few belt pouches from ThinkTank.

Image Width5306
Image Height5363
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:08
Image Width1237
Image Height1250
>>
why dont you post process your images?
>>
File: FLAT.jpg (1MB, 1500x772px) Image search: [Google]
FLAT.jpg
1MB, 1500x772px
>>3082227
I do what I'd call a fair amount of adjustments, multiple s curves and painting contrast with a soft light layer, but I enjoy a muted palette and a flat image, especially concerning this sort of work. The banality of the situation was something I wanted to highlight across the entire spectrum, from my exclusion of people to waiting for overcast times (not hard in NI). The post I did is evident here from a flat file to my print ready final. Scans are on a V700 using Alex Burke's guidelines.

This is a wall in Alexandra Park. It cuts the public park in half, with roads that formerly facilitated foot traffic and bicycles being closed. There is one gate that is opened in the day time only, so at night the only access for movement is to circumvent the entire park.

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:05:24 13:20:23
Image Width1500
Image Height772
>>
File: 2.jpg (2MB, 1233x1250px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2MB, 1233x1250px
>>3082243

Here is Alexandra Park from the Loyalist side. The image prior was from the Republican side. As was often the case, two sides of the wall could have jarring differences. In this situation, the more affluent Republicans have had more public works programs that have maintained the park, built swingsets, and put in benches. The Loyalists of Tigers Bay, who share the park but different local politicians, have not had such work done, and the park is much more rugged and overgrown. You can just make out the wall, painted a deep shade of green, running through the plant growth in this image.

Image Width5285
Image Height5357
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:03
Image Width1233
Image Height1250
>>
File: 5.jpg (1MB, 1219x1250px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
1MB, 1219x1250px
>>3082250

In this image, I'm standing with my back to a 24 hour grocery store in a Republican neighborhood of North Belfast. On the adverse side of this fence sits a Loyalist area with no near by grocery shop, certainly none I could locate with extended hours. The idea that you might need eggs or bread and be required to travel unduly far due to the peace walls was an ironic twist I saw time and again. While there is a suggested "silent majority" in favor of the walls locally, many others see them as an unneeded hold over from the wind down after the Good Friday Agreements in 1998. Furthermore, the segregation of youths maintains a double standard, in which conversations between opposing viewpoints must be conducted figuratively through the fence.

Image Width5247
Image Height5381
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:04
Image Width1219
Image Height1250
>>
File: 4.jpg (1MB, 1218x1250px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
1MB, 1218x1250px
>>3082255

This is on Cupar Way, separating Shankill and the Falls, some of the most hotly contested areas in Belfast. Sinn Fein, formerly the political arm of the IRA, now has it's Belfast office just blocks from here in the Falls, while the Shankill side of the wall, seen here, has had some of the lower metal siding removed to allow artists to create non sectarian murals and art installations.

I tried throughout the time I was in Belfast to find areas where signs of life pushed through the walls, like the tree tops in this image.

Image Width5240
Image Height5377
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:04
Image Width1218
Image Height1250
>>
>>3082218
Northern Ireland is a incomprehensibly shit place. It's the definition of a shithole. Nothing to see or do, besides get the fuck out of it. I had to fly from Belfast once and it was an experience in itself.
>>
File: 3.jpg (1MB, 1232x1250px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1MB, 1232x1250px
>>3082355
I'm sorry you didn't like it. I found it super inviting and really stunningly pretty. Even though my work was based on a poor part of history, I found people in the areas I was working to be warm to the idea of the project and overall helpful. A few made suggestions or gave local info that helped shaped my shooting style in particular places.

The Falls side of the Cupar Way Interface Wall. No murals are painted on this side and there is little to no foot traffic or tourism, while the decorated side in the Shankhill neighborhood attracts black cab tours, tour buses, and tourists on foot.

Image Width5312
Image Height5391
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:03
Image Width1232
Image Height1250
>>
These are beautiful pictures anon. I would love to visit Belfast and Northern Ireland. I have strong feelings of empathy for the Republicans and Catholics in Ireland. Wrote my history major on The Troubles
>>
I'm from Belfast.

Fascinating to see where photographers focus.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 1228x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 1228x1250px
>>3082738
With Brexit looming, the idea of a hard border between the Republic and NI seems more and more likely. Tourism and trade will suffer almost immediately. I've heard but not seen that there are massive developments in Dublin with the plan to move some part of the banking and trade out of London and into Dublin, in addition to Frankfurt. The usual flare ups in the summer during Parade season will be much longer in my opinion. Trying to be back in July for the Twelfth.
>>3082796
Are you still local? Looking for more contacts inside the Orange order/ Loyalist areas to get access to the Bonfires and to create portraits of the Orangemen around the Twelfth.
Either way shoot me an email, I'll be back some time this year [email protected]

Just barely visible in the middle of the frame is a very shredded Union Jack flag. The issue of flags is one of major contention, across not just Loyalist and Republican lines, but also those seeking a more cohesive Northern Ireland without leaving the United Kingdom. As such, sectarian strongholds often display flags, have painted curbs, and other loud displays showing support for their side. In some diplomatic cases, particularly concerning the Mayor of Belfast, both the Union Jack and the Irish Tricolor are displayed, while in other instances neither flag are displayed.

Image Width5272
Image Height5367
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:02
Image Width1228
Image Height1250
>>
File: tumblr_oo5xmmouak1rgyxkqo1_1280.jpg (360KB, 1280x1382px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oo5xmmouak1rgyxkqo1_1280.jpg
360KB, 1280x1382px
>>3082805

I'll fire you an email when I finish work, I think I knew a few people might be able to help.

I attended my first ever bonfire last year to get photos. As someone from a Catholic background, it was a mildly terrifying experience.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7200
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Vertical Resolution700 dpi
Image Created2017:04:09 22:09:29
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: 14.jpg (2MB, 1235x1250px) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
2MB, 1235x1250px
>>3082808
Yeah, as an American I am a bit worried how the reactions may go, which is why I'm trying to find someone who has higher contacts who might be able to get me some street level cred. The guy I rolled with was apolitical so we had little contact with anyone there.

Great shot too. Tigers Bay and Mount Vernon were already stocking up wood.

This image shows an art installation on an interface fence running between the East Belfast Albertbridge Road, which separates a Loyalist neighborhood to the south and the Republican area of Short Strand to the north. This installation, stretching nearly 5 meters, hangs without information on its reason for being or dedication, and has fall into disrepair.

Image Width5329
Image Height5394
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:08
Image Width1235
Image Height1250
>>
File: 8.jpg (1MB, 1218x1250px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
1MB, 1218x1250px
>>3082842
In the Short Strand area of East Belfast, informants for the police, informally known as Touts, have contributed to numerous arrests of both Republican dissidents and more run-of-the-mill criminals, whose gangs are often comprised of former IRA splinter group members.

Image Width5278
Image Height5416
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:24 12:28:05
Image Width1218
Image Height1250
>>
>>3083013
Wow never thought I'd see Belfast on /p/.

I'm from here and have lived both in West and North Belfast where these are most prevalent.

I guess we got used to them, but they are something most generally agree are a necessary evil in some areas. Although I personally think they breed further division.
>>
>>3084960
It's amazing that there's only one in Derry and yet dozens in Belfast.
>>
>>3082218
Also from NI, are you the same anon photographing Dunluce castle and posting in the travel ear thread with the hassy's and Nikon EM's?
>>
>>3082808
loved this one
>>
>>3082218
>it's a snapshot of pigeons on a roof
>but it's shot on MF Hassy therefore it's profound art
I'll try to give a fair consideration to each shot, both inside and outside of the context of the series and captions, however overall impression is that you tripped over the "MF=art" hole a few too many times.

Regarding this OP shot, I guess it works in context of the series. On technicality, the tiny bit of fence posts on the bottom irk me, but I guess you can't crop it if your (commendable) ambition is to keep the full frames (you could still crop it and fake having a full frame in PS but I'm sure you've above that).

>>3082223
Nice.

>>3082243
Just some random graffiti on a wall, poor frame. Meh.

>>3082250
Also very meh. This and >>3082243 could work as a diptych - two sides of the wall - if there was something to link them when displayed side by side that would also catch the viewer's eye before even reading the description. But as they are, they don't go together in any aspect, even the grading is completely mismatched between them. A missed opportunity.

>>3082255
Should have stepped back further or came closer (or tilted back more), the slanted curb cutting the bottom of the frames throws it off balance. Also a meh picture on its own, its purpose completely dependent on the wall of text that you have written.

>>3082326
Ditto about this hardly having purpose without reading the description, also it looks oof and converging lines push it strongly into snapshit territory (would have needed LF with real t/s here). The "life pushed through walls" is a nice observation but I didn't even notice it without reading about it, should have moved closer and reframed to emphasize this bit somehow.

>>3082418
Now this one I like, it kinda reminisces photos of Warsaw Ghetto with buildings facing directly to the wall (oy vey). I'd have liked it a notch more if you didn't cut the curve of the curb on the left.

tbc
>>
>>3088179
contd:

>>3082805
Back into the unbalanced meh frame territory, this is probably the worst of the lot. Looks like instagram shit honestly, just another picture of the same lattice fence that says nothing by itself. Worse yet, it doesn't even belong with the others with it's cool tone grade, whereas other frames are rather warm.

>>3082842
Finally something interesting going on in the frame, but why didn't you spend an extra 10 seconds to frame it less retardedly? The slant contributes nothing to the composition other than the sense of laziness and sloppiness on your part.

>>3083013
Not bad. I'm annoyed by the lack of balance to the heavy blue crates that dominate top and left (would have been ideal with the sewer crate in the bottom right instead, but what can you do), but it kinda works when you consider the message on the wall - it's closed and oppressive to the left/top, indeed keeping the snitches out.

Hope you can deal with the tough love OP. Good job on taking on a subject and trying to illustrate it though, I respect that. You should trim it down to 5 pics at most and make it a part of an editorial piece, that's the best way they would work IMO, as I don't think they can stand on their own merit enough.

I used to live in Dublin for nearly 10 years, I never went up North myself but my boss was from Belfast. We knew he must have had an interesting past but he never let a squeak out about it even on heaviest pub crawls. Shame really.
>>
Can you imagine if /p/ were always like this thread?
>>
>>3088195
this thread is boring.
>>
>>3088199
>not enough shitposting
>>
>>3088205
thread is civil but photos are shitty and unprocessed, overall lazy shit. waste of memeblad, should have shot with cellphone.
>>
>all this effort put into c&c
>OP was never heard from again
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.