[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system did you pick and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: Voltron-Star-Shooter.jpg (96KB, 458x700px) Image search: [Google]
Voltron-Star-Shooter.jpg
96KB, 458x700px
How long did it take you to pick your camera system? How many did you go through before settling on one? Why did you rule some out?
>>
Started with a Canon Rebel 2000 for high school photo class, which I still have. Got a t2i in college cuz I was mostly a vidfag and my camcorder was stolen so I figured why not take the leap. Perfect timing since magic lantern came out like a year later. Ended up using it for a couple years at a museum job and still have it.

Moved on to a Lumix gh2, also for video, though it takes pretty great stills to be honest. I made a 250 dollar rookie mistake and tried to install driftwood with a 3rd party battery that died half way through. Eventually got an EF speedbooster for it.

This year I got a fuji ga645zi cuz I missed film and I'm in love with the quirky beast. I'll probably get a gh5 in a year or two or depending on my financial situation some kind of blackmagic. Overall I've been more than happy with all my cams.
>>
File: P5070275.jpg (478KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
P5070275.jpg
478KB, 1000x750px
I only shoot with a Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7, mounted on a Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II. I case more about low profile, portability, ease of use and fast focus than anything else. It provides the results I want, could not be happier with what's currently on the market.

I have a bungee cord camera, and with he light weight, it makes it super conformable.

I'm no professional by any means, so I can get away with whatever :D

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M5MarkII
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Color Filter Array Pattern808
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)40 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpcm
Vertical Resolution300 dpcm
Image Created2017:05:22 01:37:29
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length20.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
>>
My parents bought me an used Nikon before a trip and when I bought a camera for myself, I decided might as well keep using the same lenses.
>>
>>3080300
My plan was to buy a film camera with some nice lenses and then when I moved to digital I could adapt those lenses onto a mirrorless camera.

I never moved to digital.
>>
>>3080318
Shia?
>>
>>3080383
Looked at Sony a good bit because hey nice specs, but Sony falls to pieces when you transition from theory to practice. Was about to forgive the shitty battery life, overheating, terrible ergonomics and lens selection because of the autofocus and video quality combination.... but then I moved onto the last phase of the search of actually looking at the images that come out of the camera. I finally realized I have never seen a photo taken on a Sony cam I actually found aesthetically pleasing. The pics posted in Sony reviews are bad, the pics posted in the flickr groups are bad, the pics posted by regular buyers on B&H are bad. At the least that means the people who pick Sony aren't real photographers, at the worst it means even after post processing Sony's dull color science shines through.

I'd ask anyone considering Sony to step back a bit and look beyond the spec lists before jumping on that platform.
>>
>>3080431
Sony produces pretty accurate colors.

That kind of random "artistry" where your camera gives you a red tinted image with bonus vividness and saturation or whatever isn't doing anything for me.

I sure could trivially have that in post, but I generally really don't nearly want it. I'm actually unhappy with Sony going a few steps from more neutral images on older cameras to slightly "warmer" ones on newer ones.
>>
Looked around online for best entry dslr for $ and ended up with d3300. Awesome cam, slowly getting more lenses
>>
Choose Nikon about 5 years ago. Tried fuji for a while, but I rather my Nikon then sold my Fuji.

Nikon's sensors are the best and I liked how it fit in my hands. Now I just have a bunch of Nikkor lenses too. But I would not worry to change it to Canon's gear
>>
>>3080383
makes no difference when you're still a talentless faggot with no photos
>>
>>3080300
I've used extensively pentax, fuji, nikon and sony on the digi side.

On 135 I've done a lot on m42, k mount, om mount and nikon.

On 120 I've got a bronica slr and mamiya tlr.

For mf, the tlr takes it for me, most of the shots I take on mf film are of normal people and I find the mamiya is very disarming and just a pleasure to use.

135, olympus all day long, m42 has shit lenses and bodies, anything half decent is overpriced af. K mount has a glutton of shit bodies and finding anything other than a 50 1.7 or 28 2.8 is a pain. Nikon got quite a lot of use, lenses are great, later 90's bodies are awesome value. Olympus tho, huge viewfinder, tiny bodies, tiny beautiful lenses, super smooth action, just a joy, I'd take the nikon f90 if speed was needed but I would always take the om2 if I could get away with it.

Now digi...
Pentax - lovely bodies, shit lens selection, no future
Nikon - chunky bodies, constant feeling that you're being mugged off due to gimped specs and high prices
Fuji - mirrorless was a gamechanger, no more missed focus or 'wrong' exposure, but the bodies feel like free toys from a cereal pack and the lenses are overpriced af, Also convoluted af to edit images and the colours are fucking whack without a lot of careful editing.
Sony - unnnnf, the lenses, the build quality, the features, the ergo, the customisation, the image quality. It's all just fucking magical.
>>
>>3080318
Very nice lens
>>
Bronica SQ-A. Wanted a 6x6 medium format SLR. Was a 16 year old HS students funding the purchase by mowing lawns, so Hasselblads were out of the question. The SQ-A could do everything I wanted (multi-back, wide lens selection, 1/500th x-sync) for a good price. Bought a basic 1 lens, 2 back kit for $300 nearly 12 years ago and still use it often.

Bought into Sony a few years ago because it was the cheapest way into FF since I wouldn't need to buy any lenses (adapt Canon FD). Quickly ruled out Nikon and Canon because of lens prices and overcomplicating my gear. Rerfurb'd A7 with 1 year Sony warranty for $750usd. No complaints. Battery life is good enough for 12 hour day hikes, which is the max I need. Never experienced overheating, even in 100F. DGAF about AF speed, never used AF on it.
>>
File: IMG_20170519_225746.jpg (133KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_225746.jpg
133KB, 450x600px
>>3080564
Forgot pic

Camera ModelF-04G
Equipment MakeFUJITSU
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image Created2017:05:19 22:57:47
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
F-Numberf/2.0
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
Focal Length4.80 mm
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure ModeAuto
Image Height1536
RenderingCustom
White BalanceAuto
Image Width2048
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash
Exposure Bias0 EV
Brightness-1.5 EV
ISO Speed Rating691
Exposure Time1/20 sec
>>
>>3080554
heh your Sony description is my Fuji description
>>
I bought a Nikon D90 because it was the best camera in its price range when I wanted to start photography. Then I got a Nikon FA gifted to me which started me shooting film. So I've stuck to Nikon F ever since, after about 5 years or so with the D90 I bought a full frame body so I could share the digital and film bodies and lenses better.

I bought an Olympus E-M1 because I fell for the small light mirrorless meme, it was a great camera but Nikon's cameras are just more ergonomic and more usable. I went back to Nikon.

I also have a bronica SQ kit for medium format, and a Ricoh GR as a pocket camera. The GR makes a good meter for the SQ too.
>>
File: _IMG1501.jpg (2MB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
_IMG1501.jpg
2MB, 2048x1367px
I started with a d3300, it was cheap, I had already used a friends and found it pretty easy, in my view at the time the d3300 gave the best performance for that price range and it is pretty lightweight which is nice for hiking.

about a year later I got a pentax k1, I was originally going to det a D810 but the K1 uses the same sensor, has pixel shift, in body image stabilization, and costs substantially less leaving room to get the pentax 43 mm and 15-30 lenses, a nice tripod, and a nice circular polarizing filter
I'm super happy with it, as someone who primarily shoots landscapes

>>
File: _IMG1365.jpg (3MB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
_IMG1365.jpg
3MB, 2048x1367px
>>3080851
ah, it stripped exif...

>>
File: 2017051905.jpg (768KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
2017051905.jpg
768KB, 1280x960px
Inherited dad's old Minolta XG-1, had a lot of fun with it, so the X-700 seemed like a logical step up. Minolta MD seems like one of the most cost effective systems around for film SLRs. Over the years I've tried a ton of other film SLRs but I find the X-700 much more pleasant to shoot than most. I really love Minolta's controls.

For medium format I ended up with the Bronica SQ-A, prior to that I've only had a few cheap folders. It was a choice between it, Pentacks and Mamiya, and a local seller happened to have a suitable Bronica kit up for sale so that's what I went with. It seems like a cost effective no-bullshit camera that's meant to be a heavy piece of precision machinery rather than a box of assorted electronic gimmicks. 6x6 format because of the versatility.

For digital, OM-D EM-10 is the only thing I have, got it in a lucky trade-in. Frankly I dislike the M4/3 because of the very poor low light and high ISO performance, but the camera's enough for casual stuff I needed a digital camera for and it's small and light to have along with other gear. Works great as a light meter too. If I were to seriously consider digital, I wouldn't invest in M4/3 again.

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M10
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.18
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Color Filter Array Pattern1308
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2017:05:19 20:03:41
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating640
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1280
Image Height960
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Got into Pentax because wanted to start doing astro primarily. I got interested in normal photography then got into wildlife and don't take much time with astro even after getting the astrotracer thingy for my K-3.
Truth be told I don't really have much time nowdays, most of my free time is spent with doing uni in a correspondant course where the exams are the same as the normal course students get. So it is non-stop crunch mode.
At least the campus is near the forest and once in a while I can get a few snaps of owls, buzzards, kestrels and some bastard squirrels.
I like the camera, the lenses are good and it is more than enough camera for my hobby needs. Some pros are still going around with 5D classics and 5DII here. Some asked me about my camera at an event after I was happily going around in the rain with a WR kit zoom lens getting the shots they could not.
>>
>>3080300
50d becuz it was a steal and shoots true raw video
>>
>>3081875
135 is the aps-c of the film world.

Shoot 6x6 or larger or get fucked little nooblet.

Also

>minolta x700

Fucking keks
>>
>>3081913
Why kek?
>>
>>3081945
Because it's a useless piece of shit
>>
>>3080300
>How long did it take you to pick your camera system?
Pretty much instantly
>How many did you go through before settling on one?
None
>Why did you rule some out?
n/a

>gearfagging
>>
>>3080554

So the guy with arguably the most experience stuck with sony in the end...

Why does the board hate sony so much?
>>
Started out with a Nikon D3200 and just made the switch to a Sony A6000 because I wanted a smaller camera and the A6000 has all the features I was looking for that my D3200 didn't have, like shooting video in 1080p60, electronic viewfinder, Wifi transferring that actually works, flip out screen, charging the battery via USB and things like that.

Still open to trying new stuff but I'll probably stick to Sony for a while because they offer a good upgrade path with cameras like the A6300 and A6500 and then later full frame, and they feel like one of the only companies that actually tries to push the technology in cameras forward.
>>
File: DSC_0263.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0263.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>3080300

Started with dad's old N2020(F-501) and loved it. Could never affor a new DSLR, so stuck with point-and-shoot digital through the aughts.

Picked up an NEX-3 in 2011 and loved the damn thing. Perfect size and amazing low light performance (at the time). OS was a fucking joke though, and the pricing at the time makes modern Fuji look cheap.

After much debate (between Nikon, Fuji, and Sony) I upgraded to a7ii in 2016 and love everything about it. Now I have lenses frm four different mounts I use on my a7ii and they all autofocus.

Never going back to a flappy-flap mirror camera (except for film, still use the N2020).

Equipment MakeSony
Camera Model402SO
Camera Software32.1.D.0.419_0_f900
Image Created2017:05:18 20:27:42
Exposure Time1/32 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating1250
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.60 mm
Image Width3840
Image Height2160
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
I had a false start with a Nikon 1 J3. Was able to sell it shortly afterwards, then got a Pentax Q-S1. I fell in love with the Pentax way of doing things so I jumped to their DSLRs a year afterwards.
>>
>>3081990
Sony hate is a meme around here
>>
>>3082128
nope
>>
>>3080300
MFT/Lumix G7, because it needs to be rugged and with Maximum Video.
Currently waiting to Upgrade to either G85 or GH5
Thinking about getting a supersmall Olympus for streetphotography.
Also really into adapting
>>
Sony, because I'm a stupid poorfag with lots of old lenses.
>>
>>3082211
>Sony
>Poorfag
Does not compute
>>
>>3080431
I don't know what the fuck you're going on about, my a6000 fucking nails color better than both my Nikon and Canon.
>>
>>3082216
What, the body was only like $830.
>>
>>3082128
so is Sony cocksucking
>>
>>3082274
Yeah, isn't weird that people are recommend a format that's already good and constantly evolving than one that's stagnant?
>>
>>3081994
Me fucking too man

Started off with a d3200 w/ kit lenses, got a 35mm 1.8 which I stuck to. Ended up falling for the point and shoot meme and bought a Canon G7X mkii which left me very disappointed. Sold the G7X and a month later sold the d3200 and bought a Sony a6000 w/ an adapter for a 1.4 50mm FD lens. Couldn't be happier, the setup works pure magic. The Sony system is so much better than canikon. Get compliments on the camera literally every time I take it out, it's nice. Not to mention the color is spot on and the focus peaking is amazingly accurate.
>>
>>3081952
Since you didn't explain why I won't take your comment seriously.
You're the piece of shit.
>>
>>3082280
Lol, I had the 35mm f/1.8 too, great lens for the price but my kit lens broke so it wasn't a very versatile setup, so I figured that I might as well make the jump to mirrorless before I invest a shitload into DSLRs.

Only problem with Sony is the lack of APS-C E mount lenses but I'll be getting the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 with an adapter which will be a great all around setup.
>>
>>3082282
>Only problem with Sony is the lack of APS-C E mount lenses
You should see the FE selection. You can at least get LA-EA2 adapters for cheaper than an LA-EA4 too.
>>
Started with a Canon-AE1.

After getting sick of the harshness of film, I got the only mirrorless option; A Fuji XT-10 with the 23mm 1.4. A great combination.

Now I'm selling the Canon, as I've upgraded to a Nikon FE.
>>
Rollei 35, i like how compact it is

I literally always forget to set the focus though, so all my pics are shit
>>
>>3082357
I also have a Rollei 35. I've gone through a bunch of film bodies but this one remains. Even though it lacks a lot of features, I've gotten accustomed to using it, and that compactness.

I'll probably never get rid of it now.
>>
Since i take write for a webzine, didnt shoot at first, but all the guys who did photos used Nikon. I borrowed those cameras for a while, and got used to nikon. It seemed lika a logical idea, now i can borrow lenses from people i work with, if i really need to.
>>
Pentax K50 about 13 months ago because I wanted something inexpensive and weather sealed (although now i use a non sealed Sigma 17-50 f2.8) and it was by far the best option.

It has shit video capability and continous autofocus, but it's definitely better than entry level cannons and nikons
>>
Nikon because a friend told me that the second hand D70s was the best in my price range.
Ended up sticking with it it because I bought some other lenses for it that were all in the Nikon F mount.
I currently use the Nikon D3300.
>>
DSLR, Nikon. Simply because of the lens compatibility to the F5.

Mirrorless digital, Fuji. Mostly because of the correct, non-idiot-mode interface on the Xpro2, and because of the gnarly film simulation stuff.

Mechanical shutter SLR, Nikon F2 mainly for feels, and for pre-AI lenses.

Electronic-shutter pre-AF SLR, I'm with >>3080554 here -- OM bayonet all day. I've got 21-28-35-50-135-200mm lenses for it, a handful of filters, and an OM-4Ti. Beautiful system, super hi-fi glass -- esp. the 135mm f/3.5, tack fucking sharp wide open.

Fully-automatic AF SLR, F5. No contest, its only downside is that it's big and loud and demands backup batteries carried at all times.

Rangefinders, m39. Duh? Can't afford a Leica with all the gearfagging I've done over the years. My Fed 2 and Zorki are for low-fi pursuits only. One day I'll get rid of my R2A and get a hundred euros less for it than I paid, but them's the breaks.

Medium format, Kiev 80/88. Masochist's cameras, but I'm definitely never going to get a 'blad or a Bentacks or a Mamiya.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.