[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

did anyone here ever go to college for photography ? if not is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: photo_large.jpg (2KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
photo_large.jpg
2KB, 160x160px
did anyone here ever go to college for photography ? if not is it because you are too poor to afford a fashionable accessory degree , or too scared to put real prints in front of real people for real critique ??
>>
Neither to poor, nor to scared. I just don't care.
>>
>>3072093
>too scared to put real prints in front of real people for real critique ??

Page, I've sat in on photoschool crits. It's a bigger backpatting circle jerk than Flickr. Art school crits are all cotton candy and soft blankets.

Go to architecture school if you want ego-shattering critiques. I've heard seen working professionals tell students they should just drop out.
>>
>>3072128
that's badass
>>
>>3072093
>photo_large.jpg (2 KB, 160x160)

Now *that's* some fine trolling.
>>
Georgian here. I know several people who graduated from SCAD. Photographers, sculptors, architects, designers. The only one who is actually an active artist of any kind is married to a wife with a killer job, so he doesn't have to work and gets to do what he wants.

The rest do shit all related to their degrees.
>>
>>3072153
ah so a professional sponger . i think that may be my life goal .
>>
>>3072128
>>3072145
kek, I've graduated BS Archi. Some of my profs will tell you straight up how shitty your design concept and design translation are. Another had a "shitlist" of students he didn't like. And some of these profs even hated each other since as CEOs of their own archi firm, they were bidding on who'll get the contract to design the new archi college building. These profs were always squeezing ideas from the students by giving us assignments and plates about their firm's upcoming projects. Our college motto was "Sleeping is a luxury."
>>
>>3072093
so many edges
>>
>>3072271

why would you pay money for that
>>
>>3072321
jokes on me as soon as I graduated I got an IT job instead aaand never looked back
>>
>>3072093
>did anyone here ever go to college for photography
ye nerd

>is it because you are too poor
If you get in with grants or scholarships, it's cheaper to be a student than it is to get your own place and feed yourself straight out of high school. Otherwise, bad deal.

> too scared to put real prints in front of real people for real critique ??
It's a circlejerk. You're here for the degree.

>>3072153
>The only one who is actually an active artist of any kind is married to a wife with a killer job, so he doesn't have to work and gets to do what he wants.
can u post a how-to guide or infographic pls I've been having trouble with this part
>>
>>3072335
what does a degree get you?
>>
>>3072336
>what does a degree get you?
No idea.
>>
>>3072336
they call it an opportunity to gain experience under guidance of professionals and make good connections with other photogs/artists/professionals and i think some benefit from being pushed by deadlines they didnt set to make work but really you can just do all this without going to college . degree is useless in this field
>>
A degree in photography from a half-decent school is basically the only way to make it as an artist. You don't need one to be a commercial pleb (though it doesn't hurt to have one in the top echelon of fashion/editorial), and a journalism degree with a minor in photo is far preferable to a "photojournalism" degree, if you can even find it.

You'll get a lot of pretend engineers (and a few real ones) who will tell you to get a real degree and a real job, but for them photography is just a hobby to get good at, not an all-consuming passion that takes over your life like any given art should.
>>
I started assisting my professor, an internationally exhibiting artist and then met more people to hang out with/share work in progress with through him.

I ended up dropping the program for another, but it was (is) worth it.
>>
>paying to learn how to use a camera and compose a shot

retards
>>
>>3072093
I went to Brooks. Overall solid education for those who applied themselves, and the professors actively wanted to teach you and help you learn. It was horribly managed and the parent corp was a money hungry piece of shit so it's gone now. Mount St. Marys in LA has many of the teachers, and hopefully will create a program around them.

I use my degree learned skills maybe once a week, but the group of graduates I know and work with in NYC has more than made the degree itself worth it. Daytona State was my second option as much of the curriculum is based off Brooks but I was stupid and young and now have a solid career path.

Overall, I would recommend college, though two years getting your pre reqs out of the way saves you a ton of time and money anywhere. SCAD, RISD, SVA, FIT, and other schools are art minded and don't often cover intense lighting, business skills, and other commercial facets of photography, save the fine art aspects.

I have a few interns every semester and my recommendation is always to take out the most amount of loans and work the least you can, unless it is in your specific field. Starbucks might give you a sense of paying for school, but when it comes down to working 30 hours a week and ending up with $40K in loans or being able to intern and shoot more often and ending up with $80K, you will benefit in the long run, since you will have a lot more knowledge of the actual business.

I can talk a lot more about this, as I'm $110,000 in debt now, down from $130K when I graduated in 2014. Solid dent, but if I ever can't pay it, I can just flee to another country easy enough.
>>
>>3072571
ive studied the technical aspect of photography for seven years and feel that i have a fairly solid grasp on the craft , dabbled in film and even 4x5 . unrelated , also have an associates degree . what do u think about transferring to an art college to study the art side of photography ?? i think my longterm goal for my photography 'career' or w/e is to produce narrative driven photobooks , at least that is where my interests have been for the past couple of years .
>>
File: The_Mummy_(2017).jpg (92KB, 220x348px) Image search: [Google]
The_Mummy_(2017).jpg
92KB, 220x348px
>>3072626

If you have pre reqs out of the way, you can speed up a degree and save money. The flip side is a shorter time in the learning environment.

I'd also advise you that while your photography in and of itself may not be "niche", the actual product you create, ie photobooks, seems to be one small aspect of a larger industry. How would you market such work? Through gallery showings? Or by creating the work for an editorial publication and then publishing a book. Also, as someone who has handled production of books in the past, the photographer does not take a cut of the first printing except in very certain circumstances. For the most part, the first run is hubris, and there are seldom second printings after an initial run of a few thousand books.

Never forget the multiple facets of our industry as well. Instead of getting your income from your books, why not work at TeNeues or Taschen in the creative and development departments. You'd be right there in the field you want, stable income, and access to the people who can help make your work even better. A major flaw in most schools is convincing everyone they'll be a photographer as a main career. It's just too saturated. Work for the book company and shoot for yourself. You'll love it a lot more than stressing because your book that you paid $40 to print isn't selling.

I may also have been misleading about "technical" photography. I work on movie posters and commercial film and stills shoots, so when I say technical I mean the ability to take a photographers artistic visions and desires for theme and mood and create them with lighting, set decorators, and other creatives. This is a poster I worked on as the main assistant to the photographer. It involved 40 profoto lights with dozens of different modifiers and four days to create.
>>
>>3072128
Haha this. I'm getting a BS in Industrial Design at a STEM school and some of the professors are brutal. One of them went up to some kid to do a desk critique and he said "Hey, so last day to drop the class is Tuesday" and moved on to the next person.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.