[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one make Crewdson style photography without 60,000$

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: gregory-crewdson2.png (2MB, 1277x847px) Image search: [Google]
gregory-crewdson2.png
2MB, 1277x847px
How does one make Crewdson style photography without 60,000$ and hundreds of people at their disposal?

Also what's p's genuine opinion on Gregory Crewdson?
>>
>>3069514
idk m8 just start small. do you know anything about studio lighting? if so, come up with some ideas, find a location that'll give you permission to shoot there, get a couple b800's and a battery pack to light your location, a couple small strobes for fill, and a couple models. there you have it, everything you need to make a small crewdson production (minus his vision, experience, and skillset, of course.)

If you can't afford lights, start looking around town for some interesting lighting. You'll find it if you keep an eye out.

Craigslist is your friend as far as free props go. I got rid of my car and replaced it with a cheap pickup truck so I can pick up free furniture whenever I find it.
>>
If you have vision you can make the idea a reality

Money is just the lubricant
>>
>>3069528
>Money is just the lubricant
youre terrible with metaphors.
>>
>>3069514
dicorcia used far more minimal hardware and achieved as good (if not better) results. watch his docus.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>>3069528
>Money is just the lubricant
>>
File: halogen-work-lamp.jpg (19KB, 110x194px) Image search: [Google]
halogen-work-lamp.jpg
19KB, 110x194px
>>3069514

Step 1. Buy some halogen shop lights ($50 ea).
Step 2. Make some cheap diffusion out of bed sheets.
Step 3. Get a couple of models.
Step 4. Make them stand or sit in one place.
Step 5. Aim your lights at stuff, diffuse as needed.
Step 6. Take the picture.

Done.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2006:03:07 18:33:01
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width110
Image Height194
>>
>>3069514
>Also what's p's genuine opinion on Gregory Crewdson?

The first time I saw his work, I really liked it. I watched his documentary and was very impressed. However the more I saw his work, the less I liked it. I think it would be cool to see in person, but on my computer screen- meh.
>>
>>3069569
I wasn't the biggest fan until I saw one of his prints in person. It's an experience.

>>3069568
This is better advice than my B800 suggestion.
>>
>>3069571
How big were the prints?
>>
>>3069574
>prints

it was just one print displayed at a university museum unfortunately, pic related. I don't remember the dimensions, but it was in the ball park of 40" x 50". I'd never seen his work in person before and stood a good 30 minutes in front of it. A lot to look at.
>>
>>3069514
pretty mediocre desu
>>
>>3069791
no, its not mediocre, because there is lot of effort put in doing it, lots of resources, the guy shoots higher than high while doing his craft. and he ends with flawless photos. he def does his homework, overdoes it, in fact. thats not mediocrity in any book.

but, yes, his shit is emotionally shallow. he cant harness the pathos of art. hes an artisan, not an artist, hes the dream theater of photo.
>>
>>3069803
The picture in the op looks like some shitty Jason Lanier bait.
>>
there was a really in depth website that would get posted here that would teach you everything from the basics to advanced flash photography. anybody know what i'm talking about?
>>
>>3069832
Strobist? http://strobist.blogspot.com/
>>
>>3069832
The strobist probably.

As for the op, you can get similar results with one light and doing a shitton of exposures lighting different parts of the scene then compositing them together
>>
>>3069835
>>3069836

thanks thats exactly it
>>
>'''''''''art'''''''' photography
always pretentious shallow shit, no exceptions
>>
>>3069514
>Crewdson
I think his stuff is cheesy, though ive never seen his life size prints irl
>>
>>3069519

pictures of said furniture, i'm not op but do you like have house full of random chairs
>>
File: chair.png (2MB, 964x1270px) Image search: [Google]
chair.png
2MB, 964x1270px
>>3070006
>a house full of random chairs

Ha! Not quite. I only began doing this in January. So far I have this sofa chair I found across from my friend's house (plan on dying it black), a seven foot stretch of fence, a nice oak door, two wooden shipping crates that will fit a human inside, a table, and an old industrial Toledo scale.

There's a ton of free things on Craigslist. One of the most common are pianos. They're large, take up space, and are often left unused. Used generic pianos not really a hot commodity, so if you get a crew together, you could pick one of these up and use it in a photo shoot. There's also a ton of free metal and wood scrap available.

Hell, here's a free boat. https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/zip/6117125071.html I'm not sure what I would do with it, personally, but it's an opportunity for someone.

I don't really plan on keeping a large inventory of props. Most of it will be sold or given away or taken apart and repurposed for something else. I'm not the packrat type nor do I have the storage space to my avail. However, I know a lady who owns her own home staging business and rents warehouse space for her large inventory of furniture. If I ever scaled up my operation, I would consider doing this.
>>
>>3069514

he uses cinema lighting. 12k and a lot of other big lights.
>>
>>3069803
even you can go down to any road with some vegetation preferably near some small hills and shoot that orange, blue, green look at around magic hour with long exposure. why are you defending him? i don't understand.
>>
>>3069530
if you were older than 12 you'd understand lubricant isn't just a "haha funny sex"
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.