[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Leicas good as they said, or just hipster hype?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: leica-vector-logo[1].png (13KB, 720x340px) Image search: [Google]
leica-vector-logo[1].png
13KB, 720x340px
Are Leicas good as they said, or just hipster hype?
>>
They're fun to use until the novelty wears out.

Film Leicas are more fun than digital.

I've only owned a Leica M6 and loved it but ended up selling it for a Mamiya 7 or something.

All the people I've met that have had a digital Leica have been ego driven fuckwits.
>>
>>3066604
>All the people I've met that have had a digital Leica have been ego driven fuckwits.

Holy shittt this is so true. Was without a group of photography friends and was trolling a dude I met about his Leica and said my a6000 was the best mirrorless in the world. The joke completely flew past his head and he eventually deleted me from facebook LOL
>>
>>3066605
You shouldn't pick on Charlie Reynolds, he has autism you know.
>>
>>3066601
They made/make good cameras
They also "made" a lot of shit/mediocre cameras where they allowed 3rd parties to rebadge their cameras

Most low-mid end digital Leicas are rebadged Panasonic and god knows wtf their compact film cameras were, no one on the internet knows

Very shady company.
>>
>>3066605
>LOL
Maybe he deleted you for another reason.

That being said:
Film Leica M: good, but partly overprized
Digital Leica M: not worth it; not terribly bad, though.
>>
>>3066618
>god knows wtf their compact film cameras were,

minolta
>>
TheCameraStoreTV on YT did this video on the new digital Leica and the guy walked around taking pics of like old bikes and couches.

the whole time he kept saying "this just needs to be shot on a Leica"

It was very very annoying and I didnt like it.
>>
>>3066601

The glass is whats good. Film Leica too but that doesn't mean you instantly take a photo like Robert Frank's or Eggleston.

I have seen some of the local LUGs taking shit snap shit and pat themselves at the back and they have expensive M240 and M10 with their fucking summilux-m glasses. Worst when they all go out together as a group and shot the same fucking shit
>>
File: L1016897 (Custom).jpg (162KB, 1000x673px) Image search: [Google]
L1016897 (Custom).jpg
162KB, 1000x673px
It's a camera that you can set all the variables on as soon as you think of something. Really intuitive to use, and everything is immediate. It's not particularly good or anything, they're just okay cameras. It's just that Leica is the only company making this type of camera.

People do get caught up in the memery though, and either use them because they think it will magically improve their pictures somehow with "Leica glow" or super sharpness (or any other shit that doesn't even matter), or get disappointed when they use it in a situation that isn't for the Leica (macro, sports).

If you're not preemptively focusing and setting exposure with muscle memory, you would be better off with a DSLR, any old point and shoot, a Sony a-something, or a phone.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:01:23 13:56:06
Unique Image ID0000000000000000000000000000506E
>>
>>3066605
you seem like an asshole
>>
>>3066601
If you're a film shooter maybe, if you're on digital just get an x100 or gr ii
>>
Film Leicas: good
Digital Leicas: good, overpriced
Lenses: very good, very expensive

I just shoot a Bessa with a CV lens, but I can see myself upgrading to a Leica down the road. For digi I kind of don't see the appeal of having an old school rangefinder, I'd rather get the Q if I had that kind of money. I kind of hope Leica goes more into that direction in the future.
>>
>>3066923
>secure trip
>>
>>3066601
i'm gonna break it down like this.. it all depends on you're shooting style.. I have a M2 and M6 that I love.. I'm a hybrid shooter digital/film I've always wanted a digital leica but could never justify shelling out the cash..
>>
>>3066923
Found the digital leica owner

>>3066753
100% his animosity towards me was because he doesn't like the way an a6000 owner spoke to him. I've never seen someones pride get hurt that easy.
>>
File: 1490203456209.png (47KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1490203456209.png
47KB, 500x501px
>>3066833
Did you expect more from leaf bantz?
>>
>>3066601
Quite frankly Leica should exit the camera business and just make lenses for various mounts like Zeiss does.
The M series has been rendered irrelevant by modern mirrorless cameras and even the SL has been just blown out by the A9.
The Leica S was a good camera line, but the latest 007 version is completely broken, as practically everyone who has owned one has issues with it.

While all of their cameras have pretty slick build quality, they fail hard where anything concerns the actual mechanics of the system; all of their cameras feel like they were originally film systems that had digital components retrofitted into them, even decidedly modern cameras like the S and SL.

Leica's cinema lenses are quite revered, and their entire lens lines for just about any system in general, so I don't see the point about sticking to a broken concept of having mindblowing glass on a terrible body. Zeiss have shown with the Otus line that some people will gladly spend a few grand to own a "centerpiece" lens for their system.
>>
>>3067406
You're a retard.
>>
>>3067406
You're a retard.
>>
Leica glass is extremely expensive for what it is. As a new M-system camera owner, even if it's like a Bessa R2A or something, you'll be shooting USSR glass for quite a while. And believe me, there's a limit to how far a pre-multicoat Sonnar will go.

Film Leicas are good, if you like camera loading to be a fucking hassle and/or autoexposure to be nonexistent or like three grand and up. Cheaper options exist, but are obviously cheaper and fiddlier in some way or another. Any proper M-system body is far more expensive than a proper film SLR, which is basically money you could've been spending on SLR glass instead.

Digital Leicas are a dog's arse in terms of actual value. The menu system is arranged for fucktards operating on very bad hallucinogens. EC etc. dials didn't exist until they started with the "typ" shit, now they're basically down the road from ripping off Fuji (though obviously with the Japanese otaku shit removed and German jawohl substituted). Old digital Leicas are either crop-sensor, or suffering sensor rot; so there's absolutely no deals in digital Leicas.

Compact Leicas are an extreme markup on cameras that other manufacturers release under a different brand, with exactly equivalent hardware.

Leica-branded glass for m4/3rds is a crock of shit, just like Zeiss-branded glass.
>>
>>3067481
>You're a retard.
>>
>>3067414
>>3067475
t. samefag who posts the same exact reply
>>
>>3067531
Nope. First one was me.
>>
>>3066833
Holy shit dude he was making fun of all of those fucks with Leica's who just take pictures of old bikes and couches and shit. Are you that autistic that you can't interpret sarcasm even when it's laid on that thick?
>>
just buy a konica hexar rf.
>>
>>3068076
>buying an obsolete system with no support
Enjoy having a useless brick of wires and metal once the electronics begin to fail.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.