[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

F Pen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Recently my old DSLR broke after years of amateur joy and I've decided to upgrade to mirrorless. I was instantly recommended a Sony a6000, but two shops have independently recommended an Olympus OMD EM10 mark II.

Tried it out, loved it, but noticed the F-Pen. Exactly the same, but up to 20MP and retro styling (not that it makes a difference but it's cool to have, I guess).

Anyone has experience with them? Is this a good one for a semi-amateur?
What other mirrorless cameras would you recommend?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M5
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:01:28 09:29:55
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length20.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width4608
Image Height3017
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Unique Image ID4182cfa5ec7acfc74ee8bf0fc357bf72
>>
>>3065980
retardely high price for not so great specs, you're better off with any of these other cameras you mentioned
>>
>>3066051
The Pen-F IS a good camera though. Let's not neglect that fact. But I agree it's way over-priced for what you get. The Em-10 mk II is half the price, and it's the same camera, except a slightly higher resolution sensor on the Pen-F. And honestly there's no need to go above 16 megapixels on a m4/3 size sensor.

Also, the Pen-F has no grip. I know it's supposed to mimic a range-finder, but it's still a step back in ergonomics and handling large lenses safely.

Since you like the retro styling, why not look into Fuji cameras? They make fantastic cameras and lenses. The only real knock against them is you can't directly process RAW files in Photoshop, but you can use other software for the conversion.
>>
>>3066056

I'm not really too fussed on the styling. I like nice looking tech, but a bad camera that looks good is still a bad camera.

If that's the case, I'll just go for the OMD EM10 mark II. I was looking at the Sony a7. It's such a cool camera but I don't know if my skill level can justify something that high tech just yet.
>>
>>3066059
are you some retard suggesting fujis are bad cameras?
buy a fuji if this is what youre looking at. it is better and in the same price range.
>>
>>3066059
Try to think where your passion lies and what genre you want to get into. Then choose a system best fitting your needs. And look at lenses first, not the bodies.
>>
>>3065980
overpriced garbage.
get the a6000.

you sounds like a hipster that values form over function, better get a fuji xt20.
>>
>>3066059
the a7i is cheaper than f.
what could go wrong?
>>
>>3065980
The oly uses a tiny micro 4/3 sensor, that's a quarter of the size of a full frame camera like a sony a7.

Larger sensor = better signal to noise ratio & more bokeh.

Having worked in the camera industtry, we got tasty kickbacks from olympus and fuji. Both brands were easy sells to middle class, 50 something year old white men. Dumb fucks would even buy the $40 uv filters.
>>
OP Here.

>>3066071

Never said anything about Fujis being bad. Why, does the glove fit?

>>3066072

I will, thank you. I love wildlife and street photography. Capturing people and animals, so I look for those shallow DOF, well lit, captivating shots that isolate the subject. I get the feeling that a good telephoto lens and maybe a F/1.4 85mm would be a good start?

>>3066091

a6000 it is then.

>>3066100

Thanks for your industry input. I get the feeling these are the kind of things they make good margins on and I'm not going to be fobbed off just because it looks nice.
>>
>>3065980
Pen F is a beautifully made but really overpriced camera.
E.g. even in the same system, GX85 is like $400 less. If you like retro styling, buy a Fuji, they're great. Or you can go full frame with a used Sony A7, but the first gen A7 is a bit gimped and you'll have to deal with bulkier and more expensive lenses.

>>3066091
I wouldn't recommend buying Sony unless it's full frame. Their APS-C lens choice is mediocre and a6000 does not have image stabilization (a6500 does, but it's overpriced even more than Pen F...)
>>
>>3066059
>I don't know if my skill level can justify something that high tech

Sure, Sony has a bigger sensor, but it operates in *exactly* the same way as the others mentioned here. That's like saying "my driving skill isn't enough to drive a 7 seater".
>>
>>3066100
M43 is half the size. Therefore the 2x crop factor
>>
>>3066172
Half linear dimensions, quarter the area.
>>
>>3066166
Except the menu system which is almost as mentally handicapped as olympus menu
>>
>>3066172
Wow, spot the kid that didn't do basic maths.

m43 - 17mm x 13mm
full frame - 36mm x 24mm

I'll give you time to draw them out on a piece of paper to scale and cut out 4 matching m43 bits and see how many fit inside the full frame box.
>>
>>3065980
>F Pen
>F-Pen

>Pen-F is in the filename and written in all caps on the camera itself, FFS
>>
>>3066176
olympus menu with its 9000 options is high functioning autistic, not mentally handicapped
>>
File: trumpwalk.jpg (78KB, 637x455px) Image search: [Google]
trumpwalk.jpg
78KB, 637x455px
Don't waste your pennies on the OM-D. M4/3 has horrible noise, unusable above ISO 400 without obvious noise removal, crop factor makes most old lenses a pain in the ass to use, and they're hard to focus without an optical finder because you're pixel peeping. Focus peaking is a joke. Shitty output resolution for anything but strictly web use. You can't get enough DPI to even print a decent post card. Native lenses are expensive and unusable on anything else. Landscapes lose intricate details because the resolution is so limited.

Shit value for money for any other use than a holiday snapshitter.
>>
Just get a Ricoh GR, Dude.
>>
>>3066238
This tbqh f a m
>>
File: IMG_1430.jpg (252KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1430.jpg
252KB, 1000x1333px
This is now a Pen F thread.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 7
Camera SoftwarePhotos 2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:04:23 17:25:06
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating25
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness4.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length3.99 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height1333
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.