[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Patreon Client Pricing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I'm a professional photographer & shoot a wide variety of clients, including artists, models, boudoir, cosplay, newspapers, magazines, etc. After the photos are taken, edited, delivered, and shared in low-resolution with my watermark, they are typically very well received and some clients asks to use them for their Patreon. I am sincerely struggling with a fair way to price such a thing.

I've just been telling clients "No" when asked about Patreon, but it's happening more and more so I need to figure something out and would greatly appreciate input.

A couple examples:

1. One client asked to sell high rez images for $1 each and cutting 15cents per image to me. I can't help but shake my head at that idea.

2. Another offered to pay up front for the shoot and then expectations to use the photos for Patreon, however this person has over 570,000 fans and I know that the use of the photos on Patreon would far outshine the pricing of the shoot alone.

3. One individual I agree'd to let sell prints and cut me 40% of sales of my prints.. however, she stopped doing so, saying they were no longer being purchased, which may be true, but raises the point that I have no way to regulate sales once photos are in their hands.

4. One client who is a friend sold prints not on Patreon, but much like it, also cut me 40%, but this person was diligent and communicative. I feel that this was a good example of how it COULD work well, but also feel that I should not expect this from all clients.

5. Some of the things the Patreon users have asked to use my images for are: Prints, posters, high-resolution downloads, multi photo packages, exclusive photos only available on Patreon, special request images (custom poses), etc.

I have a smugmug where I offer direct to door shipping of prints, but Patreons often like to print and sign their prints before sending them to their Patrons.

I have my general pricing down and special circumstances, but this has a lot of moving parts and am unsure.
>>
Keep in mind Patreon is not charity, it's crowd-sourced payment. If a "creator" is at the point where they hire a commercial photograph, they are at the point where they sort this kind of stuff out like professional businessmen.

Imagine you're shooting some art collection in a museum, and the custodian wants to license the photos for postcards in the souvenir shop or whatever. That's how you should approach this.
>>
>>3062785
honestly not going to read all your examples
clients will do all kinds of stupid shit and I gave up, just charge what you can up front and give them a high res Jpg

for that reason I'm shooting less and less digital and going back to analogue, I charge $600 half day and $1200 full day plus film / processing (mostly 120, 4x5 but I have a fridge stocked with hard to find 135 film stock). They get the negs / transparencies, and I recommend a scanning service who offers drum scanning

the local market for digi has just been murdered, so many people offer $100 photo shoots. I'll do cheap shit like that but use a shit a6000 and take 6 months to give the clients their photos because i don't want them to call me again, but is some cases this has the opposite effect.
>>
>>3062785
I guess I don't understand what the problem is.. Once you agreed to shoot for a negotiated price, what the customer does or does not do with the photos they commissioned you to take for them is none of your business right? Or am I missing something in your post?
>>
>>3062926

This is incredibly unhelpful. The examples are prime reasons why this is a complicated issue.

>>3062790
I think this is a good example, but one of the issues is that there are people who have established fanbase and are hoping to use that as a side hustle. I'm all for that, but I know I can't quote your example to those who are just starting.

>>3062939
This is not correct. Much like shooting for businesses and corporations, licensing and usage is one of the primary sources of income for photographers. The photo is going to live on well past the initial shoots so usage is designated with guidelines, rights, fees, etc.
However, when it comes to Patreon, monitoring usage is nearly impossible and I don't want to give a ridiculous break in pricing to someone who then pumps out hundreds and hundreds of prints with no payment my way.

I know my work is good enough to drive sales up for patrons and on patreons and don't want to be taken advantage of, yet I want to be fair.
>>
At the beginning when you're going over the prices, bring up the option to license your photos for them to print and sell. The earlier you let them know that you own the pictures and you'll need compensation for them to sell it, the better.

Try upselling it. Call it the "Patreon Package." First, pick a price for how much the licensing will cost. Go on their patreon and see how many patrons they have and base the price on that. You might have to do some trial and error to figure out a good formula.

Then put some additional features in the package. If you don't already give 100% absolute highest resolution and 100% image size, then give them that. Print off proofs to show them what their pictures will look like once printed. Give them a few pictures at 1:1 aspect ratio optimized for them to post on patreon. And naturally, all of this will be an additional fee. Even if they don't buy the Patreon Package, that licensing fee alone will look better when you compare it to the full package.
>>
>>3066351
*give them a few pictures at 1:1 aspect ratio optimized for them to post on INSTAGRAM
>>
>>3062926
filtered desu
>>
>>3062926
>for that reason I'm shooting less and less digital and going back to analogue
There are still actually some dorks that will go for film shoots over digital and pay real money for that crap? Wow, crazy world we live in.
>>3064101
Dude, you don't sound even relatively pro if you are having such dilemmas. Get yourself an attorney to work legal stuff of licencing out or just quit pissing your pants over "POSSIBLE LOST PROFITS" cos you sound like Hollywood crying over TPB.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.