[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monopod Use For Events

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: picnotreallyrelated.png (763KB, 616x414px) Image search: [Google]
picnotreallyrelated.png
763KB, 616x414px
All event photographers must know the struggle of being stuck in a crowd, behind barriers, behind a TV crew and just being stuck for space doing portraits of a crowd.

My idea (I've probably seen it before and forgot) was using a monopod to hold up your camera and shoot over people's heads, or getting a different angle for portraits, or other shit that happens.

Being a manlet under 6 foot I struggle getting decent angles and shooting events without holding the camera up with my hand and tring to shoot, but with a telephoto or heavy lens I'm a wee bit fucked.

So how would it be possible to shoot with a monopod? I have a Canon 700D with the flip screen which could be angled down, but focusing and triggering it could be a struggle. That and the anxiety of dropping it (either on the floor or on someone's head).

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>3061717
Why would event photographers be in the crowd?
>>
>>3061717
It's called a "selfie stick"

And they are banned at most large events.
>>
>>3061726
If it's a protest, demonstration or anything that isn't organised brilliantly they will be
>>
>>3061728
but then how are they event photographers?
>>
Rethink your career
Try wildlife where the animals won't be able to see you.
Also I don't get why you're using a telephoto when you're stuck in a crowd.
>>
>>3061717
Remote trigger and a monopod.

Most cameras will autofocus with a remote trigger.

If you got a sony you could use your smartphone as a remote wireless viewfinder with full camera controls.
>>
>>3061734
I'm not sure what your point is, or how debating it is relevant
>>
Event photographer stuck in the crowd thinking about using a monopod as 'selfie stick' because can't reach the subject. Struggle behind a tv crew or other real photographers.
also
>implying other 'photographers' should be with the crowd in protests and demonstrations

damn OP, you should rethink your life.
>>
>>3061827
Everyone has to start somewhere
>>
I shoot all of my images at events and concerts handheld. Why use a monopod?
>>
>>3064304
If you're a manlet and struggle to get wide shots of crowds/people.

I've seen people bring step ladders to events before but I guess it's not for everyone
>>
>>3061717
They aren't intended for you to shoot like that. They are intended for you to hold it up in front of you (like a pole). If you have a phone that is a different story.

Honestly I'd feel safer (and sturdier) screwing it to your entire tripod, locking the tripod in place fully extended but legs together. Wide angle and fast shutter too. I would almost think you would be better off getting out of the crowd entirely, going somewhere higher up, and zooming in (while holding your camera or securing it on a tripod).
>>
Wow it doesnt sound like anybody here but OP actually ever shoots anything; OP is right, in the real world you never know how you will end up using your gear to get a shot, that is what creative photography is about, pushing the limits of technique to achieve something new, not using the gear the way some techfag thinks is how it's intended. I've used a light stand with Nikon d810 mounted to it triggered by a wired remote held out like a selfie stick over a patient during surgery for dramatic shots at a unique angle. Was it intended for that? Did it work? Hell yes, millions of people saw the images on the Today show and ABCNews after the historic surgery. Unique angles might be part if the reason they used my photos. Telephoto on a monopod, hell yes, look at tge sidelines of any pro sports game. Why would an event photographer be in the crowd? Why the hell wouldnt he? A good photographer is looking from every angle he can get himself to, you never know where you may end up at an event. Shots from the stage, from the floor, the crowd, the nosebleed section, who knows where you'll get that unique shot until you find it. In fact, I would say if you have'nt shot from sone weird spots your coverage probably sucks. My point is that OP is looking for new avenues, and everyone else is following the tourguide.
>>
>>3064668
Don't forget to try putting your speedlight on the monopod for some off camera flash.
>>
>>3064668
Thank you - feels nice to get a response that isn't just shitting on the idea completely. I'd much rather be in the crowd, and if possible in the 'special area' and get as much coverage as humanly possible (usually shooting events I'll spend the whole time running from area to area trying to get everything I can, usually too excited to stop).

Maybe it wouldn't work re: the comment about selfie sticks being banned, but it does suck shooting over people's heads or missing shots because you're behind someone and can't get anywhere better. Also considering a small step ladder (I went to a protest the other day and there was a TV guy on a small step ladder who was way over everyone else)

>OP is looking for new avenues, and everyone else is following the tourguide.
+1
>>
>>3064668
>idiot photographers stick a monopod in the air
>loses control of it and ends up taking out a bunch of innocent women and children
>monopods now banned fucking everywhere like how a lot of places ban selfie sticks
Good game. Enjoy a lifetime of shaky low shutter speed photos.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.