[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Landscape Photography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

File: 25607045506_4beeb55fb0_o.jpg (1MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
25607045506_4beeb55fb0_o.jpg
1MB, 3648x2736px
Is landscape photography basic bitch-tier in the photography world?

I am new to this stuff, but I am a /out/ enthusiast. I do not find man-made things to be beautiful or aesthetically pleasing, so I like to photograph obscure landscapes or off-the-trail scenes.

As I lurk more on the board, I get the impression that landscape photography is looked down on. Why is this?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot G11
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:08 22:08:16
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.10 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
it isn't something that everyone gets, much like everyone doesn't understand the appeal of the /out/ . Don't worry about it.
>>
At the superficial level, it doesn't take much effort to set up a tripod and take a f/16 wide-angle shot of a "pretty view" of things which are just out there and don't tend to move a lot. This results in a staggering amount of banal, calendar-tier pictures of nothing. Layers upon layers of expensive square filters and technical perfection don't save them from their inherent vacuity.

A great part of what passes for landscape photography today is a straight continuation of the tradition of kitschy paintings of beautiful trees and rivers mass-produced for the bourgeois households in the 19th century. These were also generally frowned upon by those who believed that art should convey something else than the most pedestrian notion of comfortable prettiness.

It is by all means possible to produce good and interesting landscape photographs. The challenge lies in being able to give them some personal touch, to present the nature in a non-obvious manner, express a mood, tell a story. But many people aren't up to it and they give the whole genre something of a bad reputation.
>>
>>3061723
>This results in a staggering amount of banal, calendar-tier pictures of nothing.
Although, more often than not, this is exactly what sells. Being a successful businessman and artist are two largely different things, and past a certain point you simply don't receive a return on investment for pouring more time and energy into elevevating your image past being a straight (albeit nicely processed and printed) photo.
>>
>>3061741
*elevating
>>
>>3061702
Landscape photography is much more to do with light than scenery. The vast majority of "photographers" aren't prepared to sit and stare at a view for 48 hours on a carefully planned date in order to have a chance at getting the pic you want.

It's just like street photography, a lot of people take photos of people in the street, but very few engage in "street photography" with the emphasis on story telling.
>>
File: DSC_3547b.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3547b.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>3061702
>Is landscape photography basic bitch-tier in the photography world?

Why do you care at all? Do you enjoy taking pictures of the outdoors? If so, then why are you concerned with the """"""""""""""""skill"""""""""""""" required to take it?

You can be an elitist about any level of photography. People who shoot portraits look down on people who shoot candids on the street. People who shoot film look down on people who shoot digital. Stop caring about the merit of what you do-- odds are you're a hobbyist, so do what makes you happy. If you're a professional and make money selling landscape photos, then all the better-- you've found a market.

>As I lurk more on the board, I get the impression that landscape photography is looked down on. Why is this?

Because you're on fucking 4chan bro.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Color Filter Array Pattern918
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image Width4000
Image Height2671
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:02:16 21:21:22
Exposure Time2 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1000
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2560
Image Height1440
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3061900
Even though I am a hobbyist, I want to make landscape photos that people enjoy.

I don't want to just take snapshits, I want people to feel something when they see the photo. Like when I see a good photo of the Wyoming plains I think "holy shit I wanna walk right in the middle of that giant empty field just to see what it feels like".

Like some landscape photographers are able to capture the character of the land. When I see a good landscape photo of New Mexico I think "freedom/wild west/long dirt roads to nowhere".

I want to figure out what seperates a person taking snapshits of nature, and what makes a good landscape photographer.
>>
>>3061900
ruby beach?
>>
>>3062056
yup, good eye
>>
>>3061979
>I want to figure out what seperates a person taking snapshits of nature, and what makes a good landscape photographer.

Planning.
>>
>>3062106
Holy shit, that is the very first place I took photos when I got my first DSLR, if you walk a few miles north along the beach you get to the mouth of the hoh river and there are these two abandoned houses that are pretty cool, a bit dangerous, but cool
>>
File: DSC_3606.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3606.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>3062139
I need to get back out there. Originally went to Ruby because it was a neat place to go stargazing, but I don't get out to the peninsula enough. I'm in Seattle so it's easier to get to the Cascades than the olympics.

pic is a lil bit of stargazing + some headlights from a passing car

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Color Filter Array Pattern918
Image Width3200
Image Height2136
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:02:16 21:18:46
Exposure Time20 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating6400
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2560
Image Height1440
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3062148
Not that guy, but that's a really good picture man. Nice shot.
>>
>>3062148
yeah, it is a bit of a pain to get to, I was living out there at the time. that's a great shot by the way.
>>
File: DSC_0102.jpg (3MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0102.jpg
3MB, 2048x1365px
>>3062148
I found the raws, re edited them, assuming it has not burned or been torn down (or just completely collapsed) this is what awaits. don't laugh too much, I was still figuring out how to use a camera

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
File: DSC_0074.jpg (2MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0074.jpg
2MB, 2048x1365px
>>3062663

>>
File: DSC_0121.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0121.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>3062666

>>
I prefer landscape. It is quite peaceful. Here is a shot from Lake Quinault (Olympic National Park) . Conditions of shoot. Smokey-VERY hazy conditions as Washington had fires down south.
>>
File: test_1_for_4chan.jpg (374KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
test_1_for_4chan.jpg
374KB, 1000x667px
>>3062683
here's pic

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:04:23 13:48:29
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length105.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3062685
>shooting landscape at f4
Why?
>>
>>3062767
>Why?

backed
>>
File: _DSC3447-1.jpg (742KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC3447-1.jpg
742KB, 1000x667px
landscape pic

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5 (Windows)
PhotographerRainyPudding
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Image Created2017:04:25 22:25:31
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Brightness8.0 EV
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length16.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Taking landscape photographs doesn't mean you can't get creative.
>>
>>3064026
That probably would have been so beautiful down in the water with a 35-45mm shot along the rapids. Wasted opportunity desu
>>
>>3064027
Amazing, but that composition...
>>
>>3064046
Cliché advise
>>
File: 32721802434_7d7516cc48_h.jpg (127KB, 1600x1065px) Image search: [Google]
32721802434_7d7516cc48_h.jpg
127KB, 1600x1065px
As I've started hiking more I've been taking more landscape photos, but I definitely wouldn't call myself a landscape photographer and that was never my interest to begin with. I have a new appreciation for how much of a pain in the ass it is to find just the right location under just the right weather and lighting to get a truly good landscape photo. I have lots of okay pretty photos, but I don't think I have the dedication to do all the preparation it takes to take a serious landscape photo with some thought behind it. I think >>3061723 pretty much nailed it.
>>
>>3061702

shoot your landscape with a large format camera. You can use rise and fall, tilt and shift to get the perspective of the landscape right and appealing.. also the resolution made with a large format camera is 10 times better than a DSLR. Micro-contrast putting into consideration with a large format 4x5 or 8x10 film sheet will make your landscape pop. >>3061745 this is true.. many "photographers" dont do their research, recce and coming back to the location at different timing to get the right light also Weather plays apart in landscape.. if you come down to a location on just one day and its the sky is overcast it'll ruin the shot.. no shadows no tones even your framing cant justify it.

This is why good landscape photographers shoot with LF or MF and sell their prints for a shit ton of money because they plan and the time they took to shoot just one moment of a beautiful landscape can take years or months and that is how expensive it is to sell just one beautiful print of a magnificent landscape.
>>
>>3064046
It was too dangerous for me so I didn't venture too far. The cliff that this was taken was at least 50ft.
>>
>>3061702
>Is landscape photography basic bitch-tier in the photography world?
Probably the most technical and difficult after architecture.

If it's looked down on, it's because more people here tend to be wannabe streettogs but don't have the balls to actually shoot people who know they're there.
>>
>>3062668
>>3062148

Good. Very good.
>>
>>3064069

What do you mean by "that composition?"

I'm not the guy who took the photo, but I think the composition is p spot on. If I had any critique, it would be to bring the clouds close to the centre line, the seem to be ever so slightly to the left -- but that's very minor.

I certainly hope you aren't referring the "rule of thirds" and that you should never put the horizon in the middle of the photo. This photo works perfectly with these two giant blocks of colour dominating half of the frame each. It's so striking because of the contrast.
>>
>>3061702
I've been trying to take landscapes for a long time but the main thing about landscapes is being there, for me that is the hardest part. Uni and work means no time for anything else.
>>
File: fisherman.jpg (562KB, 2260x1697px) Image search: [Google]
fisherman.jpg
562KB, 2260x1697px
>>3061702
I personally don't give a shit about what others think about landscape phottography, and I don't find what >>3061723
said. Btw, I'm an absolute beginner, so don't take what I'm saying for granted.
I believe that he's true about findind a "subject", tho, problem is that it isn't so clear what it should be. When making a landscape I try avoiding snapshitting, but try to observ any intresting situation around me. It might be a wheather condition, see >>3064027
or sometime a feeling something gives me.
Then I try to catch it or to recreate.
This means working and affining lots and lots technical skills, different from the one that you could find in a studio.
I'll dump a not-so-recent pic I made. It has lots of imperfections, but I was focusing on the subject and I was pretty inexperienced at the time.

Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.4
Image Created2016:08:13 12:00:54
Exposure Time1 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length29.00 mm
Image Width4592
Image Height3448
RenderingCustom
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.